Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 17:38   #4726
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
I have Mentioned that i have changed the AC belts(when i say that there are some belts near the radiator & AC) not the timing chain.

also the timing chain was also changed in my beast.
Yes, understood that; reckon quoting the second line also caused the confusion. Was making a note about the belt.

And you changed the timing chain at 100,000? I thought those things had longer life time? Was it as per your instruction or per schedule or did you notice any issue?
Old 5th September 2012, 18:56   #4727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Yes, understood that; reckon quoting the second line also caused the confusion. Was making a note about the belt.

And you changed the timing chain at 100,000? I thought those things had longer life time? Was it as per your instruction or per schedule or did you notice any issue?

i was not instructed but i felt a little bit harsh sound(noise from the engine was bit high than usual) of the engine when i was in high speeds. i have a mechanic whom i believe said me that its good to get the timing chain changed. as the TASS was not able to diagnose the reason for the sound. and got it done at TASS for which i felt the decission was good as i dont see any harsh sound of the engine after the change.

there was one Fuel injector which was bloked(as per TASS diagnose), but got all the four serviced outside TASS as they only replace the old to new.
Old 6th September 2012, 10:55   #4728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Speedy: isn't your's a 3 liter engine? That means a timing chain rather than a belt.

Raghu: if you have not replaced the timing belt, now will be a good time.
The timing belt was changed at 80k service so now not required.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:13   #4729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I am noticing a strange phenomenon in my new tata safari. I have done 700 kms till date and since last 100 kms odd i am seeing that in 4th gear if i keep constant accelerator and engine is at 2000 rpms there is sudden MISS. As if fuel cuts off and comes again in fraction of second.

Anyone faced this issue?

Apart from this sometimes my idle rpm raises to 1000-rpm in-between.
Checked with obd scanner etc, everything is fine.

I am not able to find out why this funny thing is occurring.
Old 6th September 2012, 14:54   #4730
BHPian

Hi,
I am taking my Safari for its first service tomorrow. Is there something in particular that need to be kept in mind?
Old 6th September 2012, 16:10   #4731
BHPian

My safari has lost acceleration/pickup. Following were some of the problematic things which have now been fixed -

1. Clutch Overhaul - 5k parts and 3k labor -local mechanic.
2. Rear brake shoes replacement - 1600parts +700 labor. - local mechanic
3. EGR cleaning - 1600 -TASS.

After the EGR cleaning the acceleration has improved to some extent, but still the beast is not running like a beast. Gave at autolinks VK and they said, its the whole fuel pump and injectors, would cross over a lac. I am confused.

There is no extra smoke. After EGR cleaning the acceleration has improved, but it is accelerating in jerks. I will drive few more days, and try zero in on the driving experience.

Any pointers? Any after market shop in delhi that can take a look at the fuel pump etc?
Old 7th September 2012, 11:21   #4732
Team-BHP Support

I am getting humming noise when speed exceeds some 50kmph. Comes even when coasting at neutral.
My first thought was wheel bearings.
But now I am having second thoughts because
1. The noise is not always there. Sometimes it starts coming, and sometimes, the vehicle is silent. From my experience, this noise always increases with running, and does not go away on its own.
2. When this noise comes, I can feel road vibrations (high freq) through the steering wheel. Like a "buzz". Never felt this when wheel bearing noise used to come.

Any tips?
Old 7th September 2012, 11:24   #4733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
My safari has lost acceleration/pickup. Following were some of the problematic things which have now been fixed -

After the EGR cleaning the acceleration has improved to some extent, but still the beast is not running like a beast. Gave at autolinks VK and they said, its the whole fuel pump and injectors, would cross over a lac. I am confused.

There is no extra smoke. After EGR cleaning the acceleration has improved, but it is accelerating in jerks. I will drive few more days, and try zero in on the driving experience.

Any pointers? Any after market shop in delhi that can take a look at the fuel pump etc?
They simply mean they don't know whats the reason and hopefully after injector and fuel pump replacement it will be OK don't fall for it IMHO.

T.A.S.S has no provision for injector cleaning and they just replace but I read on this thread that injectors can be cleaned outside so may be you should take that option first.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:28   #4734
BHPian

I'm getting a weird problem with my 2010 model Safari 4x4.

Sometimes, and this does not happen too often, the vehicle * shudders* while idling. It happens for a few seconds and subsides. The idling RPM is at about 900.

The major problem is 5th gear between a cruising speed of 75 - 85 kmph. The vehicle *shudders* quite a bit, and gives a sense of being unstable. It does not happen in any other gear at any other speed. After crossing 85kmph the *shuddering* subsides and the vehicle acts normally.

Any clues to what might be troubling it?
Old 7th September 2012, 11:58   #4735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
I'm getting a weird problem with my 2010 model Safari 4x4.

Sometimes, and this does not happen too often, the vehicle * shudders* while idling. It happens for a few seconds and subsides. The idling RPM is at about 900.

The major problem is 5th gear between a cruising speed of 75 - 85 kmph. The vehicle *shudders* quite a bit, and gives a sense of being unstable. It does not happen in any other gear at any other speed. After crossing 85kmph the *shuddering* subsides and the vehicle acts normally.

Any clues to what might be troubling it?
Get the engine mounts checked. They could need replacement.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 12:47   #4736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am getting humming noise when speed exceeds some 50kmph. Comes even when coasting at neutral.
My first thought was wheel bearings.
But now I am having second thoughts because
1. The noise is not always there. Sometimes it starts coming, and sometimes, the vehicle is silent. From my experience, this noise always increases with running, and does not go away on its own.
2. When this noise comes, I can feel road vibrations (high freq) through the steering wheel. Like a "buzz". Never felt this when wheel bearing noise used to come.

Any tips?
Might be the suspension - tie rod ends.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:59   #4737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any tips?
Do get the differentials and the front wheel hubs checked.
Old 7th September 2012, 17:39   #4738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post

Hi there,

I would suggest injector cleaning. Bad fuel is the culprit. If you can find a place that can just clean the injectors, you might find some difference in your performance.

Regards
Prem
Old 10th September 2012, 15:58   #4739

Quote:
Please get the differential and crown checked.

Hi All,

I have a weird electrical problem with my 2007 Safari 3.0. The car works fine initially and after driving a few kms the car's tachometer goes to 0 rpm and the AC fan blows slower. This lethargic behaviour makes you feel like its in crawl mode but the car works as usual, Then after a few revving of the accelerator the tacho starts working and AC blowers are back to normal speed.

This problem occurs quite rarely say once in 7-8 drives. I got an electrician to check all the wirings and he says everything is fine. And moreover its not recurrent and I m not able to replicate it when i take it a service station

What could be the issue ? What more should i check ?
Old 10th September 2012, 16:47   #4740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren View Post
... I have a weird electrical problem ... moreover its not recurrent and I m not able to replicate it ...
Easy to replicate, actually. This is quite likely due to intermittence at the respective connectors. Ask the service guys to vigorously shake the harness behind the dashboard, while watching the tacho. Either the problem will go away, or will become consistent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks