Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 14:41   #4696
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Were you not using the OE bulbs?
OE bulbs. The tech at workshop told me if you clean dirty bulbs with water, they are known to crack, water splashes are fine, but again, if you do fording they can crack
Quote:
Same as that of engine compartment. Well, slightly higher as airflow is restricted in the rail area. Not necessarily a factor of engine (water) temperature, since the effective temperature is a factor of heat dissipation w.r.t. engine compartment - different under different conditions. Also, consider the long length of the pipe from rail return to fuel tank, under the chassis, exposed to ambient.

Stick to the same rating as the OE. And stick to Amaron. Changing to a higher AH rating won't give you any advantage if you have not added electrical loads.

Sprinkle boric acid / talcum powder on the radiator top around the cap. You will be able to see the streaks if there is a (vapor) leak.
Will try this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
65AH , OEM Amaron seems to be good one going strong for past 4 years on my vehicle only problem is slight spill of acid (at times) which corrodes the bolt at the top.

I have a question here how to find if battery is about to conck off ? Or will it happen all of sudden one find day ?

Dadu has tried stanadyne ( there is a thread) and it claims to act as anti freeze as well.
Cells go weak leading to strained crank. Specific gravity comes to borderline levels

[quote=sirius1845;2887267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The Safaris fog lamps cracked due to water hitting (rain) when hot. Finally, another bout of rain and hot lamps meant that one lost glass.
How much does a pair cost? Can I go for some other brand which can be used in rain?]

I have an LX and now have fixed a bull bar and fabricated some clamps myself as I was not happy with the way accessory guy at TASS (KHT Bangalore) fitted the additional fogs. The original fogs are 55w halogens and beam spread is not good. So I got rid of it and bought myself a pair of Autopal yellow fogs and a 30 A roots relay , 2 coils of 1 sq inch wires, a switch , some fuses and did the wiring and fixed it myself.

The autopal lamps are made of metal lamp housing with thick glass. I have driven the vehicle with lamps on in rain and it certainly gets very hot, but so far no issue of cracking and beam spread is quite good.
Cannot go for that, as I have a different design bullbar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Don't bank on this to warm the fuel in the tank in very cold weather!

You can probably fit an 80 AH battery in the stock tray.
Higher capacity will help in very cold climes, as batteries get severely de-rated in cold weather.

Tie a wad of white tissues at the neck of the mounting and the cap. Any leakage should leave a coloured mark.
I think 80Ah is good. Will give me added measure of safety in case I need to crank quite a bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
For the fog lamps you could go for old 3.0L DICORs one if they are of the same shape. For the battery don't ever try T*T* Green , I had very bad experience with them in my Indica which required 3 warranty replacement and after the warranty got over I had to replace that battery with Amaron. The stock battery in 3L and 2.0L TCIC is 80Ah (or 85).

For the fuel temperature it must be certainly below its autoignition temperature which is 210 degrees. This answer might seem so stupid.
Thanks for the warning
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Or you can even try their specific Anti-freeze additive if available in India. Do check with them.
I doubt. I think I will use the same used by SStraveller
Old 30th August 2012, 15:00   #4697
Senior - BHPian

I bought a pair of aftermarket oem types fog lamp for 1200rs. The light throw is pathetic like the OEMS itself but they dint crack in the rains till date.
Old 30th August 2012, 15:03   #4698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I bought a pair of aftermarket oem types fog lamp for 1200rs. The light throw is pathetic like the OEMS itself but they dint crack in the rains till date.
Was it 1200/pair?
If so, I think I will go this route.
OEM from TASS costs almost 3000/pair!
Old 30th August 2012, 15:09   #4699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was it 1200/pair?
If so, I think I will go this route.
OEM from TASS costs almost 3000/pair!
Yes 1200rs a pair. Left and Right. Its available in all accessory shops.

Surprisingly the fog lamps of Indica V2 and Safari as exactly the same and interchangeable.

There are variety of quality with white , grey and black moulding color.

I found the black color ones better.

Paying 3000rs for a cracking fog lamp everytime definitely sucks
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 15:26   #4700
BHPian

Quote:
The Safaris fog lamps cracked due to water hitting (rain) when hot. Finally, another bout of rain and hot lamps meant that one lost glass.
How much does a pair cost? Can I go for some other brand which can be used in rain?
When i had a similar problem but a stone hit the fog Lamp i visited TASS and they quoted 2.4 K for each one. which i thought too much and visited Out side spares dealers and got the Minda(INDICA FOG Lamps) which are the same for 1500 for a pair.

and i am happy with that
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 22:13   #4701
VM1
BHPian

Now, today the engine malfunction of my 2.2 VTT light came on (at <5000 km)!
I cranked the engine twice and light stayed on. After this, it didn't come on. This is freaking me out now. (very recently the alternator was repaired).

A person from the TASC said some water might have gone into the air filter (I think he said filter) due to heavy rains/riding through water and this is why the light came on for some time. He asked me to get it checked if this happens again.

Any inputs?
Old 31st August 2012, 09:53   #4702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Surprisingly the fog lamps of Indica V2 and Safari as exactly the same and interchangeable.

Great thanks!

They use same parts for Sumo/Indica/Safari etc too but use different part code for different vehicles . Price also differs. Got this info from my garage guy.
Old 31st August 2012, 14:18   #4703
Senior - BHPian

i think OE fog's are from Minda itself. got the same on my truck and also checked couple of brand new trucks in the showroom which had the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
When i had a similar problem but a stone hit the fog Lamp i visited TASS and they quoted 2.4 K for each one. which i thought too much and visited Out side spares dealers and got the Minda(INDICA FOG Lamps) which are the same for 1500 for a pair.

and i am happy with that
Old 31st August 2012, 14:21   #4704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
i think OE fog's are from Minda itself. got the same on my truck and also checked couple of brand new trucks in the showroom which had the same...
Yes you are very much correct, But when you pick the same from dealer they are double the price

but when you Purchase it from out side automobile shops then its very much cheap, and now i have learnt that and always go for the Automobile shops and get the items for a cheaper price(especially cosmetic changes), as i don't want to mess with the mechanical.
Old 31st August 2012, 17:30   #4705
Senior - BHPian

Actually its the same with all the brands, anything bought from the showroom/ASC will have the premium attached.

For ex, i bought headlight(set) for my Adventure from JC road for almost 2k less per HL, it was original. only that thier is no warranty attached.

Also got the alternator fixed for half the price from a Bosch dealer.

however i feel the fog lamps are of average quality and certainly not something which should be a OEM on a 10+lac SUV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Yes you are very much correct, But when you pick the same from dealer they are double the price

but when you Purchase it from out side automobile shops then its very much cheap, and now i have learnt that and always go for the Automobile shops and get the items for a cheaper price(especially cosmetic changes), as i don't want to mess with the mechanical.
Old 1st September 2012, 20:56   #4706
BHPian

Advise please

My 3 years old Safari broke down for the first time last week, had to pump fuel using bladder under the hood(Fuel level was low but not too low), i did a full tank ever since then engine is missing on high rpm. Took my car to service center and left for office today, they called me in evening and said that diesel had kerosene mixed and causing this problem.
I fill up diesel from my regular pump and never faced this below.

Please advise if this can be a problem or its a bigger deal, service adviser also said that sedimenter filter needs to be changed too due to kerosene in the fuel and its arround Rs4000. Please guide if we really need to change it?
Also what can be done about the kerosene mix by petrol pump?
Old 2nd September 2012, 19:29   #4707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Snake View Post
Advise please

My 3 years old Safari broke down for the first time last week, had to pump fuel using bladder under the hood(Fuel level was low but not too low), i did a full tank ever since then engine is missing on high rpm. Took my car to service center and left for office today, they called me in evening and said that diesel had kerosene mixed and causing this problem.
I fill up diesel from my regular pump and never faced this below.

Please advise if this can be a problem or its a bigger deal, service adviser also said that sedimenter filter needs to be changed too due to kerosene in the fuel and its arround Rs4000. Please guide if we really need to change it?
Also what can be done about the kerosene mix by petrol pump?
Don't worry, Sedimenter needs to be changed at 100k only, find a reliable pump for your Safari and keep driving. No need to do anything for now.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 01:29   #4708
Team-BHP Support

I remember, Safari 4x4 front wheel bearings cost more to replace than the 4x2 version. Are they of a different brand and size, or just the labor and seals are different? Slight humming noise is coming, and I am wondering, whether there exists an independent workshop in NCR region who can do it for a 4x4 safari. 4x2 is not an issue, but due to rarity of the 4x4, its impossible to find expertise!
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:37   #4709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Safari 4x4 front wheel bearings...
...rarity of the 4x4, its impossible to find expertise!
Isn't Safari ALH the same specification as a Scorpio ALH?
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:54   #4710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This post couldn't have come at a more appropriate time.

Noticed the fog lamp was cracked, right across, with absolutely not sign of damage around it - initial suspect was vandalism, but now I am sure it was due to water.

Had got a quote of 4k from TASS!
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks