Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2012, 16:15   #4681
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Hi,
I got the delivery of my Safari LX y'day. It ran fine for a couple of kms but now I hear a clicking sound whenever I press the clutch, something like a spring not being pressed properly. I have already driven 200 kms with this problem. Is this something that can wait till the weekend or should I go to the Dealer tomorrow itself.
This is a feature (In TASS Language) and not an issue...Including mine, I know many who does that. Show it to TASS and they will grease it a little for you. Nothing to worry about :-)
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 16:49   #4682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I got the delivery of my Safari LX y'day. It ran fine for a couple of kms but now I hear a clicking sound whenever I press the clutch, something like a spring not being pressed properly. I have already driven 200 kms with this problem. Is this something that can wait till the weekend or should I go to the Dealer tomorrow itself.
Welcome to the club . This is normal and would keep happening , mine is about to do 10,000 and i had almost forgotten about it till your post reminded me
harishnayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 18:08   #4683
BHPian

Hahaha, I thought I'd get at least a week of peace. Have had a similar experience with the Bullet, It leaked oil on the first day.
Old 30th August 2012, 00:19   #4684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208
Hi,
Its the spring action on the clutch pedal. U can wait for the weekend without worrying. If am not wrong they'll apply some grease.

PS mods u can delete this post. Hadn't seen the answers before. Using the mobile app for the first time.

Last edited by bantejas : 30th August 2012 at 00:21.
Old 30th August 2012, 01:04   #4685
Team-BHP Support

The Safaris fog lamps cracked due to water hitting (rain) when hot. Finally, another bout of rain and hot lamps meant that one lost glass.
How much does a pair cost? Can I go for some other brand which can be used in rain?

Second question is more technical.
I understand that the 2.2 DICOR has a fuel return line, and it takes back warm fuel to the tank. What is the approximate temp of this warm fuel when engine is at full heat (95 degree C water temp).

Third question - What the the AH rating of stock battery. What options for a higher AH rating. I have seen Toyota Liva uses a Tata Green battery. Is it a good brand, even though its a Tata? Or I should replace the Amaron(served 4 years without issues), with another Amaron

Fourth question - IF there is micro leakage through radiator cap, is there any way of finding out?

Fifth question - Is there any easily available diesel anti freeze for low temperatures?
Old 30th August 2012, 09:37   #4686
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
. It ran fine for a couple of kms but now I hear a clicking sound whenever I press the clutch, something like a spring not being pressed properly..
I had the same issue in my Grande MKII. On complaining they used to grease it and after a while the noise used to show up. When I changed over another service station they sprayed some sort of lubricant(WD40 ???) after which the noise stopped and hasn't recurred during the last year or so.
Old 30th August 2012, 10:50   #4687
BHPian

My car is missing the usual pickup. Seems the turbocharger is not firing. I started noticing it more after a recent change in speed sensor? Can it be related?

I have the clutch overhaul done recently, so ruling that out as a reason for low pickup. Any pointers please?
Old 30th August 2012, 11:41   #4688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The Safaris fog lamps cracked due to water hitting (rain) when hot. Finally, another bout of rain and hot lamps meant that one lost glass. ...
Were you not using the OE bulbs?

Quote:
... fuel return line, and it takes back warm fuel to the tank. What is the approximate temp of this warm fuel when engine is at full heat ...
Same as that of engine compartment. Well, slightly higher as airflow is restricted in the rail area. Not necessarily a factor of engine (water) temperature, since the effective temperature is a factor of heat dissipation w.r.t. engine compartment - different under different conditions. Also, consider the long length of the pipe from rail return to fuel tank, under the chassis, exposed to ambient.

Quote:
... Or I should replace the Amaron(served 4 years without issues), with another Amaron ...
Stick to the same rating as the OE. And stick to Amaron. Changing to a higher AH rating won't give you any advantage if you have not added electrical loads.

Quote:
... IF there is micro leakage through radiator cap, is there any way of finding out? ...
Sprinkle boric acid / talcum powder on the radiator top around the cap. You will be able to see the streaks if there is a (vapor) leak.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 11:48   #4689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Third question - What the the AH rating of stock battery.
65AH , OEM Amaron seems to be good one going strong for past 4 years on my vehicle only problem is slight spill of acid (at times) which corrodes the bolt at the top.

I have a question here how to find if battery is about to conck off ? Or will it happen all of sudden one find day ?

Quote:
Fifth question - Is there any easily available diesel anti freeze for low temperatures?
Dadu has tried stanadyne ( there is a thread) and it claims to act as anti freeze as well.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:55   #4690
BHPian

[quote=tsk1979;2886956]The Safaris fog lamps cracked due to water hitting (rain) when hot. Finally, another bout of rain and hot lamps meant that one lost glass.
How much does a pair cost? Can I go for some other brand which can be used in rain?]

I have an LX and now have fixed a bull bar and fabricated some clamps myself as I was not happy with the way accessory guy at TASS (KHT Bangalore) fitted the additional fogs. The original fogs are 55w halogens and beam spread is not good. So I got rid of it and bought myself a pair of Autopal yellow fogs and a 30 A roots relay , 2 coils of 1 sq inch wires, a switch , some fuses and did the wiring and fixed it myself.

The autopal lamps are made of metal lamp housing with thick glass. I have driven the vehicle with lamps on in rain and it certainly gets very hot, but so far no issue of cracking and beam spread is quite good.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-safari-fogs.jpg  

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th August 2012 at 11:59. Reason: fixed quote
Old 30th August 2012, 12:12   #4691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
What you hear is the " Khalll Khall" sound right? i too got my safari lx 2 weeks back .

This is the hydraulic sound. I think its the characteristic of the safari.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:13   #4692
BHPian

Took the Safari to the dealer, they have lubricated the clutch spring as mentioned here.now waiting for them to fit the promised accesories.
Off topic- within an hour of my being here I have seen 2 customers coming in with faulty gearboxes of Manza. One of them left his car here and left saying he doesn't want to do anything with this one. He wanted a replacement in a different color.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:25   #4693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Second question is more technical.
I understand that the 2.2 DICOR has a fuel return line, and it takes back warm fuel to the tank. What is the approximate temp of this warm fuel when engine is at full heat (95 degree C water temp).
Don't bank on this to warm the fuel in the tank in very cold weather!

Quote:
Third question - What the the AH rating of stock battery. What options for a higher AH rating. ...
You can probably fit an 80 AH battery in the stock tray.
Higher capacity will help in very cold climes, as batteries get severely de-rated in cold weather.

Quote:
Fourth question - IF there is micro leakage through radiator cap, is there any way of finding out?
Tie a wad of white tissues at the neck of the mounting and the cap. Any leakage should leave a coloured mark.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:26   #4694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Third question - What the the AH rating of stock battery. What options for a higher AH rating. I have seen Toyota Liva uses a Tata Green battery. Is it a good brand, even though its a Tata? Or I should replace the Amaron(served 4 years without issues), with another Amaron

For the fog lamps you could go for old 3.0L DICORs one if they are of the same shape. For the battery don't ever try T*T* Green , I had very bad experience with them in my Indica which required 3 warranty replacement and after the warranty got over I had to replace that battery with Amaron. The stock battery in 3L and 2.0L TCIC is 80Ah (or 85).

For the fuel temperature it must be certainly below its autoignition temperature which is 210 degrees. This answer might seem so stupid.

Last edited by mercedised : 30th August 2012 at 12:28.
Old 30th August 2012, 14:34   #4695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Dadu has tried stanadyne ( there is a thread) and it claims to act as anti freeze as well.
Or you can even try their specific Anti-freeze additive if available in India. Do check with them.

Last edited by dadu : 30th August 2012 at 14:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks