Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 14:00   #4666
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

System D, or any other additives are gunk dissolvers. If you have never used them, and then add them to the fuel in an engine done many thousand kms, it may dislodge stuff from fuel lines and tank, and this may eventually clog the injectors, depending upon what kind of fuel you have been feeding.

If you want to use an additive, similar to System D, I would suggest use it from the very beginning, or do not use it at all.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 14:18   #4667
BHPian

I have done the 4th service for my car last weekend. They charged me around Rs.9900/-
They changed the Engine oil, Power steering oil, gear box oil and the differential oil. They charged me for engine flush. I wanted to replace the Engine timing belt - but they said it is fine now. It would cost me another 10 k if I wanted to do it. If it is not broken, it won't be covered under the extended warranty - I was told.
The service in Concorde in ECR is ok except for the washing. They left a smear of grease on the plastic cladding.
Old 28th August 2012, 14:24   #4668
Senior - BHPian

Bantejas , there is one more TML recommended injector cleaner from Bardhal ( given in the Owners mannual) you can buy it from Concord and try it out.
But I feel that your problem is EGR not opening fully and not injector , Clogged injectors show irregular RPM at idle due to misfiring.

This black smoke at 1300 - 1500 RPM is typical sign of EGR and was discussed on this thread extensively earlier.
For the catcon and EGR cleaning by throttle method you need to redline the tachometer for 10 seconds some 2-3 times. So first take it to around 2K RPM for 30 sec then 3500 for 10 sec 2-3 times and then redline 3-4 times in pulses.

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th August 2012 at 14:26.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 17:26   #4669
Senior - BHPian

Re: My truck goes for 2nd service...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
though not sure if the rotataion made sense at 3200kms? confusion will be when the next rotation has to be done.?
Wheel rotation is purely based on running and not timeframe. Should be done at every 15k KM, as per user manual.
Old 28th August 2012, 17:37   #4670
Senior - BHPian

The front left side 'Fender' (Pardon, I don't know the correct name, the one that is of the bumper color in LX) was lost when I crossed a overflown bridge. Actually, there was a big pothole about 1 feet deep, all the four wheels of our car were under water and somehow the fender got lost in the tremendous flow of water. Is it available separately?
Old 28th August 2012, 17:49   #4671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The front left side 'Fender' (Pardon, I don't know the correct name, the one that is of the bumper color in LX) was lost when I crossed a overflown bridge. Actually, there was a big pothole about 1 feet deep, all the four wheels of our car were under water and somehow the fender got lost in the tremendous flow of water. Is it available separately?
Did you mean Cladding? Fender is the metal above the wheel arch, doubt if you can lose it by driving through water, cladding is what is made of plastic and lines the wheel arch. if it is the cladding, yes, you do get it separately.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 18:27   #4672
VM1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
I just bought a used Xenon XT 4x2 with the 2.2L engine. I'd like to know from Safari owners what temperature range on the display does this engine normally display?

The needle on my Xenon is almost always at exactly the halfway mark, with the AC turned on.
Mine is mostly a notch above the half way mark on my Safari 2.2L. A service advisor told me that this is a "feature" - it is a Tata product and we can't expect it to be very accurate! Point noted.

It sits on the extreme left for about 10 minutes and then springs up.
Old 28th August 2012, 19:00   #4673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Did you mean Cladding? Fender is the metal above the wheel arch, doubt if you can lose it by driving through water, cladding is what is made of plastic and lines the wheel arch. if it is the cladding, yes, you do get it separately.
Thanks, Yes it was cladding I was talking about. Could'nt stop my laugh (on myself) the bold.
Old 28th August 2012, 19:05   #4674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Off late, I am seeing the black smoke coming out at around 1300 RPM and 1500 RPM on the second and the third gear. Since we don't drive much in the city, the car was parked without getting cranked for 6 months after which I am seeing this issue. Planning on putting the system d-extra (if I can get) and see if it reduces. Any other suggestions?
Tejas
My car 3L Dicor (when caught fire) was left 6-7 months without starting the engine, the same thing happened, it was very very thick black smoke emission for the first 100 kms after that it went away on its own. BTW, 3L too has 2 fans and the temperature rarely go above 1/4th of the total range, so they very very rarely start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Bantejas , there is one more TML recommended injector cleaner from Bardhal ( given in the Owners mannual) you can buy it from Concord and try it out.
But I feel that your problem is EGR not opening fully and not injector , Clogged injectors show irregular RPM at idle due to misfiring.

This black smoke at 1300 - 1500 RPM is typical sign of EGR and was discussed on this thread extensively earlier.
For the catcon and EGR cleaning by throttle method you need to redline the tachometer for 10 seconds some 2-3 times. So first take it to around 2K RPM for 30 sec then 3500 for 10 sec 2-3 times and then redline 3-4 times in pulses.
A bad injector will cause knocking, happened with me. The rpm varying problem is mostly due to bad Rail pressure sensor or fuel pump in either case you will have to replace them.

Last edited by mercedised : 28th August 2012 at 19:08.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 20:18   #4675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post

A bad injector will cause knocking, happened with me. The rpm varying problem is mostly due to bad Rail pressure sensor or fuel pump in either case you will have to replace them.
Knocking is extream case but if injector spray pattern is not correct then RPM variation happens . In this thread I posted about 2 years back about the RPM fluctuation the source was identified as clogged injector ( due to Adultrated fuel) finally delphi changed injectors under warranty. There was no other symptom apart from idle RPM fluctuation on cold engine. The fluction was visible only on cold engine and in early morning if you place vehicle in sun it used to go away.

Black smoke at 1300-1500 RPM with a slight jerk ( gasping ) was researched by Dadu and many safaris had it . It was pointed to EGR valve and solution is either throttling or spirited driving to clear valve.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 12:11   #4676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Off late, I am seeing the black smoke coming out at around 1300 RPM and 1500 RPM on the second and the third gear. Since we don't drive much in the city, the car was parked without getting cranked for 6 months after which I am seeing this issue. Planning on putting the system d-extra (if I can get) and see if it reduces. Any other suggestions?

Tejas
Use Stanadyne for 2 tankful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
System D, or any other additives are gunk dissolvers. If you have never used them, and then add them to the fuel in an engine done many thousand kms, it may dislodge stuff from fuel lines and tank, and this may eventually clog the injectors, depending upon what kind of fuel you have been feeding.

If you want to use an additive, similar to System D, I would suggest use it from the very beginning, or do not use it at all.
Doesnt matter as you have a fuel filter which blocks any particles in the diesel more than 2 microns.
Old 29th August 2012, 12:25   #4677
BHPian

Quote:
I tried this but didn't work for me at all! I will try it again tonight. When I touched the redline for the first time, i saw some smoke getting out and the subsequent 3-4 times, I didn't see anything. Naturally I thought that it had gone off but then today I took it for a spin and saw the issue persisting still.

@mercedized: I have been driving the truck pretty regularly now as I don't want it to rust in peace. Two trips to Mysore + one to Coorg has been done in 3 weeks already. The issue is still there.
Old 29th August 2012, 13:00   #4678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried this but didn't work for me at all! I will try it again tonight. When I touched the redline for the first time, i saw some smoke getting out and the subsequent 3-4 times, I didn't see anything. Naturally I thought that it had gone off but then today I took it for a spin and saw the issue persisting still.
Seems it is some other problem then , keep us posted on diagnosis and cure.
Old 29th August 2012, 13:09   #4679
BHPian

Quote:
Seems it is some other problem then , keep us posted on diagnosis and cure.
yeah sure. I might go to Aadya motors to get it checked first (since its close to my place). If they don't find any suitable explanation, I will go to Concorde.

I am wondering, may be an oil change would help, system D/stanadyne would help . I definitely don't see this issue on the highway since I am a revv-friendly person . I was also wondering, if it had anything to do wrt turbo (it trying to open/close during that time). Its been more than a yr after I've gotten it serviced since it hadn't run at all, so may be a service should be enough?! Will post it soon!

Tejas
Old 29th August 2012, 15:25   #4680
BHPian

Hi,
I got the delivery of my Safari LX y'day. It ran fine for a couple of kms but now I hear a clicking sound whenever I press the clutch, something like a spring not being pressed properly. I have already driven 200 kms with this problem. Is this something that can wait till the weekend or should I go to the Dealer tomorrow itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks