Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 21:44   #4621
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
For Bangalore Safari owners,

Thanks to so called roads of M P, i am facing too much vibration in steering wheel. Looks like something gone bust in suspension department.

Can you please let me know, which TASS is better in Bangalore? I stay in C.V Raman Nagar.

Please guide

-Ijeet
don't have all the details here but if its only excessive vibration during accelerating then nothing is bust...its only the tension on a belt. I faced it and the guy increased the tension..that also decreased hissing noise at that time on full steering rotation...
Old 17th August 2012, 22:20   #4622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine

don't have all the details here but if its only excessive vibration during accelerating then nothing is bust...its only the tension on a belt. I faced it and the guy increased the tension..that also decreased hissing noise at that time on full steering rotation...
Hi Raj,

Actuallyits opposite, there is no or very less vibration at high speeds but on slow speeds its there. I asked my driver to take it to Carz at ORR today for there opinion and as per them its bushes or ball bearings in the suspension but I am not really aware which BB are they talking about.

Regarding belt can you please let me know which belt are you talking about so that I can ask TASS guys to take a look at that also.

Thanks

-Ijeet
Old 18th August 2012, 04:31   #4623
BHPian

I have June 2009 Safari GX, inspite of all followups at Noida and Hyderabad in last 3 years, I never managed to get the retro fitment done, everyone at TASS used to feign ignorance about it. I had tried to call up Tata regional managers at Hyderabad, first they never call back and seemed lost as to what I am talking about.

Recently I had ABS light come up and it become non-functional, and I checked this thread and read some horror stories about timing belt etc., need some practical suggestion on how do I get this retro fitment/ecu update done, I am sure there must be a way !

Thank in advance

Vivek
Old 18th August 2012, 09:42   #4624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Raj,

Actually its opposite, there is no or very less vibration at high speeds but on slow speeds its there. I asked my driver to take it to Carz at ORR today for there opinion and as per them its bushes or ball bearings in the suspension but I am not really aware which BB are they talking about.

Regarding belt can you please let me know which belt are you talking about so that I can ask TASS guys to take a look at that also.

Thanks

-Ijeet
First of all take it to a good alignment shop I think it may be imbalanced wheel.
In case balancing does not fix it and alignment shows camber is out then it needs shim adjustment which can be done only at TASS.
Also if you have driven too long out of alignment then tie rods might be shot.

Take it to concord hosur road and meet workshop manager Mr. Premkumar.

Ballbearing wear will not produce vibration it will cause noise and can be detected easily by hoisting on lift and rotating wheel with hand.

Safari rear wheel has two types of bearing one is tapered and other normal each costs about 250 so in all 1000rs for rear wheel.

In any case you can ask them to do hub greasing it will prolong life of bearing s.

Also I do not see your problem as steering issue unless you notice steering being vague and too much play is there.
Old 18th August 2012, 12:29   #4625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26
First of all take it to a good alignment shop I think it may be imbalanced wheel.
In case balancing does not fix it and alignment shows camber is out then it needs shim adjustment which can be done only at TASS.
Also if you have driven too long out of alignment then tie rods might be shot.

Take it to concord hosur road and meet workshop manager Mr. Premkumar.

Ballbearing wear will not produce vibration it will cause noise and can be detected easily by hoisting on lift and rotating wheel with hand.

Safari rear wheel has two types of bearing one is tapered and other normal each costs about 250 so in all 1000rs for rear wheel.

In any case you can ask them to do hub greasing it will prolong life of bearing s.

Also I do not see your problem as steering issue unless you notice steering being vague and too much play is there.
Hi Amit,

Just reached KHT motors at Whitefield, they are taking a look at it. Will update once they are done with it.

Anuj: Met Ramesh, seems like a nice guy, told him about you and he even remember your car number

Thanks a lot guys for all the support.

OT: is there any Safari owners meet in Bangalore?

-Ijeet
Old 18th August 2012, 22:25   #4626
BHPian

Update on the steering problem.

After extensive R&D it came down to one tire. There is some problem with the tire which they were not able to find out. They fitted tires of another Safari and everything was back to normal, then they trued to isolate the problem by changing tires obe by one and it came to front left tire.

As per Ramesh either alloy is "bent" or there is some problem with the tire. In any case I was planning to change tires so lets see how beast behaves after that. For now the problem tire is fitted at the back and passenger can feel the vibration.

Another incident: Managed to damage fuel cover and the hinge is broken. Anybody have any idea whether only hinge can be changed or full plastic inner needs to be changed?

Thanks everybody.

-Ijeet
Old 19th August 2012, 10:16   #4627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update on the steering problem.

After extensive R&D it came down to one tire. There is some problem with the tire which they were not able to find out. They fitted tires of another Safari and everything was back to normal, then they trued to isolate the problem by changing tires obe by one and it came to front left tire.

As per Ramesh either alloy is "bent" or there is some problem with the tire. In any case I was planning to change tires so lets see how beast behaves after that. For now the problem tire is fitted at the back and passenger can feel the vibration.

Another incident: Managed to damage fuel cover and the hinge is broken. Anybody have any idea whether only hinge can be changed or full plastic inner needs to be changed?

Thanks everybody.

-Ijeet
Is it tyre or wheel ? Take it to balancing shop as I suggested before , if it is really tyre and your safari is new I guess one year warranty on tyres should apply
Old 19th August 2012, 15:45   #4628
BHPian

Hi all,

Got a small query,I wont be using my vehicle for more than 7 days so is it good if I disconnect the battery cables?.Well my car is running on its original battery Amaron-3 years old and I do not want to return home to a car with a dead battery(especially a Safari which I cannot push so easily). Also can disconnecting the battery cables have any side effects on the vehicle when I return back to use it? Anything else that I should check or do?
Old 19th August 2012, 19:08   #4629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi all,

Got a small query,I wont be using my vehicle for more than 7 days so is it good if I disconnect the battery cables?.Well my car is running on its original battery Amaron-3 years old and I do not want to return home to a car with a dead battery(especially a Safari which I cannot push so easily). Also can disconnecting the battery cables have any side effects on the vehicle when I return back to use it? Anything else that I should check or do?
No need to do anything for 7 days.
Old 19th August 2012, 20:30   #4630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26
Is it tyre or wheel ? Take it to balancing shop as I suggested before , if it is really tyre and your safari is new I guess one year warranty on tyres should apply
Hi Amit,

Did a close inspection today and there is a bulge on the tyre, not able to find anything wrong with the alloy but you never know.

All tyres are 1.5 years old. In anycase I was planning to change them after the horrible trip they had recently.

Safari is going back to service station because of a small mishap I had yesterday. Need to do some body work and replacement of fuel cap as it almost got destroyed yesterday.

-Ijeet
Old 19th August 2012, 22:52   #4631
Team-BHP Support

Two queries
1. If there is loss of coolant from radiator, but no leakage apparent below the vehicle, whats the most likely cause of coolant escape? The radiator cap?
2. Is it normal for the driver to require giving corrective steering input while on a straight road? If not, what can be done to rectify this?
Old 19th August 2012, 23:05   #4632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73 View Post
I have June 2009 Safari GX, inspite of all followups at Noida and Hyderabad in last 3 years, I never managed to get the retro fitment done, everyone at TASS used to feign ignorance about it. I had tried to call up Tata regional managers at Hyderabad, first they never call back and seemed lost as to what I am talking about.

Recently I had ABS light come up and it become non-functional, and I checked this thread and read some horror stories about timing belt etc., need some practical suggestion on how do I get this retro fitment/ecu update done, I am sure there must be a way !

Thank in advance

Vivek
Help please, has anyone else faced this problem or has anyone cracked to get through some one to take notice of such situation? Any clue would be helpful.
Old 20th August 2012, 08:57   #4633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Two queries
1. If there is loss of coolant from radiator, but no leakage apparent below the vehicle, whats the most likely cause of coolant escape? The radiator cap?
2. Is it normal for the driver to require giving corrective steering input while on a straight road? If not, what can be done to rectify this?
Radiator cap and hose joint is obvious place but also get water pump checked.
Recently when I asked them to check timing belt they replaced whole kit including water pump and it had slight blue marks which was miniscule leak as per SA

Last edited by amitk26 : 20th August 2012 at 08:59.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 10:46   #4634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Two queries
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Radiator cap and hose joint is obvious place but also get water pump checked.
Recently when I asked them to check timing belt they replaced whole kit including water pump and it had slight blue marks which was miniscule leak as per SA
I agree with Amit here, if you cannot trace any sources of leakage (white/ greenish residual marks) around hoses/ caps etc then you need to open up the timing belt cover and look there, if there is a leakage from the water pump, you will see those marks there.

Roads can look straight but are they made absolutely levelled, slight corrections are required on a straight long stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73 View Post
Help please, has anyone else faced this problem or has anyone cracked to get through some one to take notice of such situation? Any clue would be helpful.
Firstly you need to check with them, if the retro is required(they can check using the VIN). Now that drive for retro fittment is over and therefore if you need to get it done, you will have to ask them based on the category of retro required to change those parts at your cost.

Last edited by dadu : 20th August 2012 at 10:49.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 11:44   #4635
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for your replies.
Regarding steering, no matter what road, steering input has to be given. Its something like the way Rajesh khanna drove that jeep in "Mere Sapno ki Rani", with constantly giving steering input.

Regarding the leakage, here is the story. Just before the extended warranty got over, i complained that the AC cuts off when vehicle is hot. They did not find any fault.

But when I collected the vehicle, it was raining, so could not reproduce it. Couple of days back, this thing happened again, and then after cooling down I decided to see if the radiator takes water. And voila, it took in a good 2.5 liters without overflowing.

After that, AC cut off problem did not come.
Now extended warranty is over, but I will anyways ask them to reopen it according to the same jobcard.

Water pump stuff is expensive, and I believe this is a manufacturing defect. However, I wonder why was not a retro done on my vehicle.

Can somebody tell me the retro number or something. IF it was a retro, I should be entitled to a free replacement, whether extended warranty or not I guess

Most Viewed