Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 07:40   #4561
Senior - BHPian

Every morning since last couple of weeks, when safari is started it makes khsssccck khsssssck sound like something is rubbing. Before i head out to tass, any ideas.....?
And oh btw that famous jerk issue has resurfaced duh!!!!
Old 2nd August 2012, 07:56   #4562
v&v
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
While people are talking about steering I have something happening in my Safari too.
When you take a U-turn and go over a bump at the same time there's a metallic klang sound as if something is going to snap! Nothing seems to be broken so far as the car works perfectly fine if I take a U-turn without going over a bump or go over a bump straight.

Some history and its done 140K so far:
- Steering bushes were changed at a while back (around 40K back). Steering gearbox had a leakage and was repaired around 133K
- Suspension bushes were changed at 95K
- Its a 4wd
i too had this similar issue. could be center pin buses or steering column needs attention.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:32   #4563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
The timing belt and water pump are replaced together if I'm not mistaken.
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
I was told that the seal cannot be replaced alone. It seems it comes with the pump. I am doing it under warranty hopefully. .
Get is done in warranty , also remember to get it checked once month before extended warranty ends.

TIming kit includes Timing belt , Idler arm pully , water pump and front and back cover costs 9900/- Labor charges are 3300/-

Mine was replaced as part of retrofit once 2 year back , After expriation of warranty I asked them to check , The timing belt showed slight wear at one edge ( 2 -3 mm edge chipped off for about 10-15 cm) they replaced it all. I gave concent seeing the importance of timing kit.

It seems the idler bearing / pully is the culprit the surface is uneven so the belt starts touching somewhere.

Engine is super silent after the service and timing kit replacement I guess it has some effect on engine noise.

Last edited by amitk26 : 2nd August 2012 at 12:34.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 19:28   #4564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Yes

Get is done in warranty , also remember to get it checked once month before extended warranty ends.
Service adviser just called me and he is changing the entire kit of timing belt under warranty. There seems to be slight wear on the timing belt. One way lucky that i dont have to change it again at 1L. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:18   #4565
Team-BHP Support

I got clutch plate, clutch pressure plate. release bearing, master cylinder, slave cylinder changed. But clutch still hard. What gives?
Old 3rd August 2012, 07:38   #4566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
... What gives?
Assuming there is no mechanical obstruction to clutch pedal movement and that correct spares were used, get the master and slave cylinders purged. Maybe even replaced, as there could be internal leakage.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:01   #4567
Senior - BHPian

Re: Death wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b]

Dear all - for water wetting the carpets, please check that all the slots in the running board bottom are clear. In one of the "other" vehicles on which I had worked (), these slots were filled by sealant to reduce NVH, which resulted in a lot of customer complaints which I had to go and resolve. The customer's name was Mr.Neeraj Kumar from Bangalore. I actually removed 6.5 liters of water from each side.
Running Board bottom? It is outside the vehicle, I am unable to understand the exact location.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:44   #4568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Running Board bottom? It is outside the vehicle, I am unable to understand the exact location.
Dear mercedised - this is the part of the body below the door. It is made of two halves, outer and inner, which are welded together to form a box section. By design, this box is not necessarily waterproof so if water goes in, it is supposed to drain out for which there are around 5 to 6 slots in the panels. These slots must be kept open. However, if these are filled by sealant which is the paste that they apply in the paint shop before the body is painted, it becomes rock solid on baking and prevents water from draining out. Why would somebody do this? In one of the "other" vehicles on which I worked (not Safari), they actually did it in production for months together to close all holes to reduce NVH. .

If water does not drain, it keeps on collecting, fills the box, rises to its top and seeps into the carpet by capillary action. Please check it out. You will have to clear all the slots because the whole box is divided into sub-sections, filled from inside with expandable NVH reducing material which you cannot see. After all slots were cleared, I actually measured the quantity of water, it was 6.5 liters per side. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:37   #4569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Mine is at 65K and water pump has started leaking. I am yet to check whether it is the pump or the pump sealing that is leaking. Aadya motors asked me to change the pump, But i am not going to buy it until I verify it myself. I fill up the radiator once a month to compensate the leak.
If replacing, I think you will have to replace the belts as well.
Holyghost: If your car is under warranty, you can get the pump changed before it expires. Usually after opening up they will find some issue with timing belt also. So you can get the whole kit replaced under warranty. They are doing this on mine. Whole timing belt + bearings + water pump is being replaced under warranty. Hopefully i will not have the replace it in 1L km.

On another note: How is AADYA? I had interacted with Kasahava, but not sure of the workmanship.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:48   #4570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Every morning since last couple of weeks, when safari is started it makes khsssccck khsssssck sound like something is rubbing. Before i head out to tass, any ideas.....?
And oh btw that famous jerk issue has resurfaced duh!!!!
Rahul: Is this a belt sound? Mine also had some metallic sound when starting from cold. They did some rubbing on the pulleys and it disappeared but keeps popping once in a while.
Is your jerk happening at around 1500 RPM? If so many of us are facing it. I dont think there is a full fix for this. They did a ECU reset and injector reprogramming on mine and its reduced a lot though not fully solved. I face it more on rainy days. Have you already visited TASC?
ameaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:49   #4571
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Assuming there is no mechanical obstruction to clutch pedal movement and that correct spares were used, get the master and slave cylinders purged. Maybe even replaced, as there could be internal leakage.
Pressure plate changed twice, and Master and slave cylinder also changed. Maybe spare parts out fitted are defective?? Seems very unlikely. Maybe Behram can put some more light on it.
Clutch has
Pressure plate
Clutch plate
release bearing
Master cylinder
Slave cylinder

Any problem in clutch should be rectified by fixing all these, right?
However, all these have been replaced(pressure plate twice), and yet clutch is hard. Tomorrow I will get a clutch pressure meter reading, if they have it in house. If its above the prescribed limit, then they have to do something.

On a related note, despite my mentioning power window jamming in every visit, it still jams. If they ask me to change a part which was earlier covered under extended warranty, I am not going to pay a penny. For more than one year I have been complaining about power window jamming. I have to pull it up with hand.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:04   #4572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
On a related note, despite my mentioning power window jamming in every visit, it still jams. If they ask me to change a part which was earlier covered under extended warranty, I am not going to pay a penny. For more than one year I have been complaining about power window jamming. I have to pull it up with hand.
tsk1979: We had a problem in our Tata Sierra years back where the power window used to get stuck. TASS couldn't figure out but a local mechanic found the problem to be a faulty rubber beeding on the sliding channel. Fixed for a very low cost. I dont know if its a similar situation. Once the glass is stuck, when you activate window switch, does your motor comes ON or it is inactive. Usually cabin lights dim when the motor is working and the glass is not moving. Not sure if its helpful. If you are facing the issue on all doors then it could be a different scenario.
ameaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:32   #4573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Yes, after pestering my TASS for over a month finally managed to get it back on my truck yesterday. They said it is not readily available, which I believe too, and had to be sourced from factory on special request.

I suggest you contact Tata Motors through their customer support email- preferably attach the missing cap image in your mail. This should help.

-BJ
Hi BJ

I sent a mail at info@safaridicor.com regarding the screw cap and as I expected didn't get any reply. I then called Tata Motors Customer Care No and lodged a complaint regarding non-availability of the screw cap. Got a call back from the local TASS and the screw cap that nobody could arrange for nearly a year was miraculously made available within a day and now stuck nicely to my door. Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Dear Param22k - Gajanan is a very dear personal friend, also I turn to him for anything to do with the transfer case. Thanks Gajanan, well done.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram

Compliments to you for being close friends with such an awesome guy . Gajanan truly is the right person to turn to for 4x4 help and deserves all the applause. I hope others in the forum are able to benefit from his help as well.

PS: I have read a lot of your posts regarding Safari and your technical knowledge is remarkable!

Cheers
Param
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:07   #4574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear mercedised - this is the part of the body below the door. It is made of two halves, outer and inner, which are welded together to form a box section. By design, this box is not necessarily waterproof so if water goes in, it is supposed to drain out for which there are around 5 to 6 slots in the panels. These slots must be kept open. However, if these are filled by sealant which is the paste that they apply in the paint shop before the body is painted, it becomes rock solid on baking and prevents water from draining out. Why would somebody do this? In one of the "other" vehicles on which I worked (not Safari), they actually did it in production for months together to close all holes to reduce NVH. .

If water does not drain, it keeps on collecting, fills the box, rises to its top and seeps into the carpet by capillary action. Please check it out. You will have to clear all the slots because the whole box is divided into sub-sections, filled from inside with expandable NVH reducing material which you cannot see. After all slots were cleared, I actually measured the quantity of water, it was 6.5 liters per side. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

If this is the case, wont there be sloshing sound when the water moves around in the box ?

Another way to check would be to see the water stain. If the stain begins near the firewall in the footwell, you can suspect the leak to be in / near the firewall, whereas if it is near the door as BD mentions, then the stain will start near the door sill..
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:51   #4575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
I sent a mail at info@safaridicor.com ...
Good to know your issue is resolved.

That may be a defunct mailbox. I was always responded to whenever I wrote direct to their customer care email (hunt for it on their website and your safari manual).

Cheers,
-BJ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks