Old 27th July 2012, 23:45   #4531
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Guys,

Pls see the attached pic.

Attachment 947171

I was painstakingly preserving these little plastic things for over 3 years. But a careless washing/cleaning at my last TASC visit did this. Though, they have promised to replace it, but, they are too far and I am unable to maintain constant follow-up on phone. Can I source these screw caps readily? If yes, from where in Pune?

Thanks in advance for helping.

I see 2 fans under the bonnet in my 2.2.
Is it (3.5k) cost of both or one?

-BJ
Hi BJ

Did you have any luck finding the plastic screw cap? I've been looking for one for a long time myself and haven't been able to source it from anywhere. Please let me know if it is available from somewhere. Thanks!
Old 28th July 2012, 11:14   #4532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Issue Faced: Loss of acceleration. After driving for about 2 kms from a cold start. Service light blinking constantly. If I press clutch the light goes away but comes back on acceleration, and no response from accelerator.

Cause: Short circuit ( apparently ) in the brake circuit. The OBD error shows something related to 'brake and accelerator being pressed simultaneously'. Found the rear right brake bulb fused ( blacked out ), and the left side bulb filaments almost touching each other.

Fix: Replace both bulbs. In all probability if such symptoms manifest, the culprit is either the fused bulbs, or the brake switch near the pedal.
Apparently if the brake is depressed, the ECU will cut fuel supply. Anyone aware of this ?

The fact that the on road assistance guy was unwilling to come at night 9:00pm, just because the car is out of warranty, is another thing ( my presumption ).

He asked me to switch off the engine, wait for 5 min and switch on again, to make the error go away. I was not convinced that it will go away. can anyone validate/confirm this ?

The fix, money can buy!!, for everything else there is the TASS

Yes you are right. The main culprit is the brake light switch giving wrong signals. Even if the bulbs are fused it wnt cause problems. If the brake light switch is faulty it gives wrong signals to the ECU. The ECU cuts fuel supply. If in emergency disconnect the coupller to the brake light switch near the brake pedal and you can reach home without any further problems.

Regards
Old 28th July 2012, 21:41   #4533
Senior - BHPian

A few days earlier I had spotted some big spots of oil under the front of car, although my 3.0L Dicor leaks some oil regularly (due to absence of washer of engine oil nut) but these spots were too big, I ignored them. Now, on turning the steering the power steering is making GROANING noise and the steering feels heavy. It is raining heavily here, could anybody suggest a solution? I think the oil has leaked.
Old 28th July 2012, 21:45   #4534
BHPian

It's Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
When I try to start the car, I just get a "click" sound but the engine does not power up, this happens first two times but on the third try the engines starts up as normal as ever, As much as i can figure it's a problem with the starter, I have given the car to the local TASS and their electrician told me that most probably the problem is due to the starter "solenoid".
I got the car back yesterday from TASS after they apparently got the "solenoid" repaired, the vehicle started fine multiple times and even later during the day but the problem appeared back again today evening. I have uploaded a crude video for your better understanding.

Listen to the problem at 0:7-0:10, after this happens as you see in the video the engine starts properly at the next crank. The problem happens sometimes just at the first crank and sometimes even after 4-5 cranks it still continues. Also I have a feeling this has something to do with a loose connection somewhere or a problem with the immobiliser. The car unlocks/locks properly, I've disconnected and reconnected the unit under the driver's seat just to check but the problem is still there. What should be my next step when I take it to TASS?
Old 28th July 2012, 22:04   #4535
Senior - BHPian

Re: It's Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Listen to the problem at 0:7-0:10, after this happens as you see in the video the engine starts properly at the next crank. The problem happens sometimes just at the first crank and sometimes even after 4-5 cranks it still continues. Also I have a feeling this has something to do with a loose connection somewhere or a problem with the immobiliser. The car unlocks/locks properly, I've disconnected and reconnected the unit under the driver's seat just to check but the problem is still there. What should be my next step when I take it to TASS?
The same thing was happening with me, but the central locking was also misbehaving, I got the immobiliser connector cleaned and the problem disappeared. Get the connector tightened.
Old 28th July 2012, 22:32   #4536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Did you have any luck finding the plastic screw cap?
Yes, after pestering my TASS for over a month finally managed to get it back on my truck yesterday. They said it is not readily available, which I believe too, and had to be sourced from factory on special request.

I suggest you contact Tata Motors through their customer support email- preferably attach the missing cap image in your mail. This should help.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 22:33   #4537
BHPian

Re: It's Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
The same thing was happening with me, but the central locking was also misbehaving, I got the immobiliser connector cleaned and the problem disappeared. Get the connector tightened.
Well mercedised I guess that I am on the same boat cause I forgot to mention that sometimes after I try to crank once/crank a couple of times the central lock locks itself and opens on its own without me doing anything and then soon on the next crank the engine roars to life. I hope your solution works for me.
Old 30th July 2012, 16:47   #4538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
I must again mention that I can't thank Gajanan enough for all his selfless help and support. Without his diagnostic instructions I would never have been able to figure out the problem with the Speed Sensor and his motivation made me get under my truck for the first time to try and figure out the problems myself. Three cheers to Gajanan, hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray! Cheers and TeamBHP rocks!
Dear Param22k - Gajanan is a very dear personal friend, also I turn to him for anything to do with the transfer case. Thanks Gajanan, well done.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 15:28   #4539
Senior - BHPian

Posting here after a very long time

My Safari completed 4 years and thus extended warranty on 25th July , I remembered that very day to take it to TASS but there was no slot available for service at concord so they asked to bring back on 29th.

Just now got a call from Service advisor that Timing belt is getting frayed ( timing kit was changed under warranty once) and he is recommending to change the kit ( 14500 Rs) , since extended warranty is over I have to pay for it.

Since this is about timing kit I do not want to take a chance and gave concent with heavy heart :-( , Also wheel bearings are making sound so I have asked to grease it.

Mandatory coolant change was told to me in the initial estimate.

I feel since the warranty and extended warranty are over I need to find a FNG now.

Any recommendations for a good garage in Bangalore ( South Bangalore preferred)
Old 31st July 2012, 21:15   #4540
Senior - BHPian

The floor carpet (front and middle row) is getting wet in rains. Water is seeping inside from somewhere. I am clueless, have checked the doors and windshield but could'nt find the spot. The sameissue was there in my TCIC Safari and same here in Dicor. Please HELP! Which spots should I check?
Old 31st July 2012, 21:48   #4541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The floor carpet (front and middle row) is getting wet in rains. Water is seeping inside from somewhere. I am clueless, have checked the doors and windshield but could'nt find the spot. The sameissue was there in my TCIC Safari and same here in Dicor. Please HELP! Which spots should I check?
Are you sure it is only during rains or have you failed to notice it when it was not raining, asking because my car too had the same problem and it finally turned out to be a corroded eveporator assembly in the ac circuit.
One other point to check is if the ac vent pipes are blocked, there are two outlets accessible behind the centre console at ground level.
Old 31st July 2012, 21:52   #4542
Team-BHP Support

Death wobble

I think jeepers call it death wobble.
This is what happens.
When I am driving around 40-50kmph(or faster), if one tire hits pothole, the steering starts shaking violently, and I have to slow down to a crawl to make it go away.
I have gotten some components of steering box changed, as well as steering cross and center pin change.
There is nothing left to change now. What could be the problem?
Old 31st July 2012, 22:01   #4543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Are you sure it is only during rains or have you failed to notice it when it was not raining, asking because my car too had the same problem and it finally turned out to be a corroded eveporator assembly in the ac circuit.
One other point to check is if the ac vent pipes are blocked, there are two outlets accessible behind the centre console at ground level.
Thanks. This thing happens only in rains, both sides carpet in the front and middle row gets wet. I think that it might be due to the Window glass strip (at the bottom of the glass on outside) which is allowing the water to drip inside the front door and then it comes inside the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think jeepers call it death wobble.
This is what happens.
When I am driving around 40-50kmph(or faster), if one tire hits pothole, the steering starts shaking violently, and I have to slow down to a crawl to make it go away.
I have gotten some components of steering box changed, as well as steering cross and center pin change.
There is nothing left to change now. What could be the problem?
It might have been happening due to worn out bushes, this used to happen in my old Indica and it was found tobe a suspension problem.
Old 31st July 2012, 22:06   #4544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. This thing happens only in rains, both sides carpet in the front and middle row gets wet. I think that it might be due to the Window glass strip (at the bottom of the glass on outside) which is allowing the water to drip inside the front door and then it comes inside the car.
Even I had assumed that it could be water used while washing that is coming in, but I was shown that it does not happen by the ASC folks when they doused my car with water in their washing bay for a prolonged period of time after they had dried the floor mats. They were of the opinion that water used while washing or in rain cannot be of such great quantity that it soaks up two rows of carpets inside the cabin. Please, reconfirm.
Old 31st July 2012, 22:39   #4545
BHPian

Even I had faced a similar issue last year rainy season. The car was parkd at an angle with passenger side tilted downward. After aheavy rain, the front passenger side was flooded. Couldnt make out any water marks at any of the windows. I never parked the same way after that incident and never saw that issue. Still a mystery how that much water came inside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks