Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2012, 13:13   #4501
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hello Friends

I had gone for my 4th free service this June as my car completes 2 years in August. I have enlisted the procedures done. I had some doubts with reference to certain things and queries the service administrator provided . Please advise

1>He told me that as per new rules the Diesel filter must be changed every year. However my early service advisor told me to change very two years if running is not much. My running as of now is 17K ?

2>Coolant to be replaced every 5 years. He told me that he is replacing coolant as a standard procedure because car will run out of warranty in 2 years and hence needs to do it. Coolant levels were normal ?

3>The power steering oil, clutch oil , brake cleaning etc he told me were standard procedures but I was charged Labour for it. Is that normal. I have marked them in bold ?

4>I was charged amount for something called as Standard Check. I have underlined this entry ??

5>He did bardahl and ac cleaning which he told me was normal procedure. ?

I have one more service left. I have paid the amount but I did not discuss anything more due to lack of knowledge. Can you shed light on the invoice and my queries. Also can you guide me as to how my approach must be when i go next time for the service

INVOICE

1>Engine oil ch4 15w40 castrol gtx professional 8ltr -- INR 2339.52

2>Assembly oil filter -- INR 188.44

3>Assy. Fuel filter delphi-- INR 1620.44

4>Coolant golden cruiser sunstar 1400M 10ltr -- INR 1466.70

5>Brake oil DOT4 (Golden cruiser) 0.25ltr -- INR 77.78

6>Power steering oil Exxon mobil ATF 220 1ltr -- INR 262.22

7>Dry sheet 80 Polish paper -- INR 16.00

8>Air filter Element -- INR 691.56

9>Gear oil Syntro 75W90 Castrol 2,2ltr -- INR 1251.56

10>Brake oil (Gold Cruiser) 0.5ltr -- INR 151.11

11>Remove and install brake disc (each side) front and brake cleaning -- INR 455

12>Rear anchor plate remove install - replace parts (each) rear brake cleaning done -- INR 350

13>Cooling system flush, coolant replaced -- INR 300

14>Standard check brake oil replaced -- INR 100

15>Standard check clutch oil replaced -- INR 100

16>Front wheel alignment -- INR 525

17>P/Steering oil replaced -- INR 150

18>Standard check service plus done -- INR 450

19>Diesel decarbonising bardahl -- INR 1489

Grand total -- 13477

Comments awaited. Above prices are with VAT included.

Last edited by lodhra : 16th July 2012 at 13:15.
Old 16th July 2012, 13:37   #4502
Team-BHP Support

If something is listed as part of service, they cannot charge extra labor for that.
Old 16th July 2012, 13:57   #4503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Hello Friends

19>Diesel decarbonising bardahl -- INR 1489
Hi lodhra

I'm not sure about the rest but De-carbonizing shouldn't be part of normal service. I believe this is optional. They should have discussed with you the cost, benefits, etc and undertaken the procedure only after your confirmation.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 23rd July 2012 at 21:51. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
param22k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 14:19   #4504
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Diesel filter needs to be replaced every year or 15K Kms, this is the new guideline.

Rest fluid changes should be done as per the manual based on intervals mentioned.

- Clutch and brake fluids at 2 years
- Gear box at 45k and then every 90k kms.
- Coolant is 60k or 2 years
- Power steering is at 75k kms.

11,12, 14, 15 should be covered under 18.

Your running is low and therefore Bardhal treatment was not required.

Last edited by dadu : 16th July 2012 at 14:21.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 14:40   #4505
BHPian

Today morning when I tried to start the engine, the Service light stayed on and after cranking, the vehicle was vibrating a lot more than usual at idling. Popped up the bonnet, checked the Turbo hoses and everything looked fine. Then I noticed some wires were cut by the rats. One set I guess belongs to AC, but the other one was just above the engine, (under engine cover) which goes into the common rail on the left side second cylinder from front. Should be the wire for some kind of sensor. I called for tow service but everyone was quoting upwards of 1600 to tow just 2 KM from my house to AADYA.
So I decided to fix it myself, and joined the cut wires. It is a temporary fix, so I want to know whether I should go for complete ecu wiring harness replacement at a TASS or give to some good mechanic and fix it?

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-snc00279edt.jpg
This is where I fixed the wires temporarily. The "SERVICE" light no longer appears after the fix.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-snc00278.jpg
This where the second set of wires got cut. Couldn't fix it because the no of wires are not matching.

Last edited by Holyghost : 16th July 2012 at 15:09. Reason: Photos added
Old 16th July 2012, 15:22   #4506
BHPian

@Holyghost I faced a similar issue.The wires were wired manually.Past 2.5 years i have not faced issues.Wires that had got cut were
1)Injector wires
2)A/C related
3)Indicator
Just make sure that the wires are connected properly and insulated well and you are good to go.

Next time try to buy some gutkha or pure tobacco long black leaves,tie up in small bundles across various wires to keep rats at bay.
PS:You can do an error code scan at service center.Clear existing codes and look out for new errors.If these go through fine i see no reason to worry.

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 16th July 2012 at 15:25.
freewheelburnin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 15:33   #4507
BHPian

Thank you freewheelburnin. Were did you get it fixed? At TASS or outside or DIY?
I dont feel confident about the injector wires, would that require heat insulation as well?

The AC wires (I guess) have 4 wires at the connector connectedto the AC pipe, but the other end where it got cut has 6 wires. Not sure where the other 2 wires are from.
Old 18th July 2012, 09:19   #4508
BHPian

My vehicle just came back from TASS after getting the AC issue rectified (costed 11k, one large Aluminium pipe and a fan were replaced and the gas which had leaked was filled again).

The issue i have now is that i have a problem when cranking the vehicle. All lights go out in the cabin when doing so and it takes many attempts at times to switch the engine on. I am not sure whether it is a mere coincidence that the battery decided to die the day after it came back from TASS or is it the age old TASS phenomenon 'fix one break two'.

Side Note: Himanshu - Not waiting for the Storme was a wise decision in my opinion!

Anyhow as the vehicle is 4.5 yrs old, i am thinking of getting the battery replaced. I called up an Amaron dealer and they recommended the following battery which they said has 18+6 months warranty and will cost 4800 after exchanging the current battery -Amaron AAM-HW-HC620D31R

Please let me know if this is the correct battery for the vehicle and whether the price is right.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:36   #4509
Senior - BHPian

Issue Faced: Loss of acceleration. After driving for about 2 kms from a cold start. Service light blinking constantly. If I press clutch the light goes away but comes back on acceleration, and no response from accelerator.

Cause: Short circuit ( apparently ) in the brake circuit. The OBD error shows something related to 'brake and accelerator being pressed simultaneously'. Found the rear right brake bulb fused ( blacked out ), and the left side bulb filaments almost touching each other.

Fix: Replace both bulbs. In all probability if such symptoms manifest, the culprit is either the fused bulbs, or the brake switch near the pedal.
Apparently if the brake is depressed, the ECU will cut fuel supply. Anyone aware of this ?

The fact that the on road assistance guy was unwilling to come at night 9:00pm, just because the car is out of warranty, is another thing ( my presumption ).

He asked me to switch off the engine, wait for 5 min and switch on again, to make the error go away. I was not convinced that it will go away. can anyone validate/confirm this ?

The fix, money can buy!!, for everything else there is the TASS
Old 18th July 2012, 18:23   #4510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post

Anyhow as the vehicle is 4.5 yrs old, i am thinking of getting the battery replaced. I called up an Amaron dealer and they recommended the following battery which they said has 18+6 months warranty and will cost 4800 after exchanging the current battery -Amaron AAM-HW-HC620D31R

Please let me know if this is the correct battery for the vehicle and whether the price is right.
AAM-HW-HC620D31R is indeed the correct battery for Safari. Got the same one for my truck a few days back. Cost me Rs 4,401 against return of old battery.
param22k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 15:16   #4511
Senior - BHPian

Steering problem

Steering problem:

The Safari steering had excessive play. TASS changed the steering column and the steering box under EW.
Now the excessive play has gone but there is a new problem >
1. When i turn to thr right the steering is hard, like its geting stuck somewhere and its perfect while turning left.
2. While driving the steering wheel judders (the kind of feeling when the ball joints have failed) I have checked ball joints and they are perfect. It feels like the tires are shaking and causing the steering to shake.

What could the problem be?
I hope to have some ideas before I attack the TASS.

Thanks

Jay.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 19th July 2012 at 15:17.
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:54   #4512
Senior - BHPian

My Beast Just did 5 K kms and is ready for it's 2nd service. I've already covered almost half the country on it DL - RJ - MP - CG - RJ - DL. Here are some issues that i plan to get sorted next Sunday -

1) Front lighter socket - non functional
2) Brake pads making noise - ineffective braking
3) Right wiper blade bent - Saw it bent 1 fine day ( not sure happened itself or someone did it intentionally )
4) Balancing/Alignment - Car drags itself towards right side
5) Fuel cap issue - Has a mind of it's own ( opens itself while driving ) ..Got it fixed in first service but it's acting funny again
6) Rearmost door latch - Doesn't open at all ( Got 2 latch sets changed during 1st service but no luck )
7) Temp gauge stays for a long time at the initial level before coming up suddenly to the half spot
8) squeaking sounds from the doors

Are the above mentioned very common issues? Also is there anything else in specific that i need to get checked before i go to TASS?

Need advice from Gurus
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:28   #4513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
7) Temp gauge stays for a long time at the initial level before coming up suddenly to the half spot...
# 7 is a "behavior" rather than an issue.
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:57   #4514
Senior - BHPian

6, ha this isue on two of the doors, WD40 took care of this issue, also just check if "child lock" is on??...
7, this is normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post

6) Rearmost door latch - Doesn't open at all ( Got 2 latch sets changed during 1st service but no luck )
7) Temp gauge stays for a long time at the initial level before coming up suddenly to the half spot

Last edited by lohithrao : 23rd July 2012 at 17:59.
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:04   #4515
Senior - BHPian

1) Front lighter socket - non functional
Could be a badly connected plug behind the socket
2) Brake pads making noise - ineffective braking
Dirt on the brake pads, should go away on cleaning
3) Right wiper blade bent - Saw it bent 1 fine day ( not sure happened itself or someone did it intentionally )
Check operation for free movement by lifting away from windscreen and operate
4) Balancing/Alignment - Car drags itself towards right side
Alignment is recommended every 5000 Kms
5) Fuel cap issue - Has a mind of it's own ( opens itself while driving ) ..Got it fixed in first service but it's acting funny again
Get the switch on the console checked, also could be a defective plastic holder which is spring loaded
Check for proper functioning of handle, it could be defective
It's working perfectly
8) squeaking sounds from the doors
Again, a lubrication issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks