Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 13:54   #4411
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Here is a link that I found. I think it suggests to a bad clutch plate/pressure plate.

Troubleshooting - Clutch

Is it possible to change only the affected part or do we have to change the entire assembly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its a single assembly for pressure plates, you need to change it and I would also suggest to change the Slave cylinder also since its going to be opened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The bill and update

Odo @ 91,000km almost.

The clutch issue was back ( was expecting). Got master cylinder changed at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...rivandrum.html.

I was charged 2k for the cylinder, 400rs for labour. I am happy.

Hope this helps regarding the clutch. TASS will replace whole unit
Old 31st May 2012, 13:59   #4412
Senior - BHPian

Oh Gosh, everyone seems to be having issues with the clutch.

Here is mine. Please help in explaining the issue before I let loose the service center guys on it.

I got the Safari's clutch overhauled about 2.5 months ago @112k. In between I got really busy and did not attend to the vehicle, apart from driving it day in and day out. Now as I was inspecting the Safari for preparing a list of things to get done for the 122k service, I noticed that there is a hissing sounding which is present as long as the clutch pedal is pressed. It goes away the moment I leave the pedal. This sound may or may not be present earlier, as I just noticed it.
What may be causing this?
Old 31st May 2012, 14:02   #4413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v

tsk, IMO bleeding should resolve this issue otherwise there is some issue with Master/Slave cylinder.

OT :
I recently came across this website http://www.tatapartsindia.com/index.html.
its in Punjabi bagh, New Delhi. Has anybody have more info about this company/shop.
That looks like a decent website. Guess would not be needing it as I plan to sell the Safari by the end of this month. Do let me know if you plan to visit the place though.
Old 4th June 2012, 06:55   #4414
BHPian

Got the clutch replaced. But the service center was careless to drive the vehicle in 4H inside the service center (no test drive though).

Total cost was about Rs. 11.9k. The master cylinder and the slave cylinder were not replaced.

They also broke the door handle, some hose that connects the silencer and somebody applied wiper while the windscreen was completely dusty. They agreed to replace the door handle free of cost but according to them I have to pay for the hose which is some 3k.

This is Aadya motors.

For the hose, according to them it was really brittle and removing it brought it into pieces. I don't know if the service center should pay for that part as well.
Old 4th June 2012, 11:00   #4415
Team-BHP Support

I called up my service advisor regarding clutch.
He told me, no adjustment possible, except bleeding.
So I checked on clutch fluid. It was near minimum. So I simply topped it up, left lid open, and pressed clutch multiple times(bleeding).
Then I tightened back the cover.
The clutch is slightly better, but only slightly. Clutch enagagement happens only near bottom.
I guess I will watch clutch fluid levels. If they fall again, there is a leak in one of the cylinders.
Will get everything fixed by first week of July, as extended warranty expires in the last week of July.
Old 4th June 2012, 16:10   #4416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Bulbs do NOT lose their brightness, even over thousands of kilometers, however, if your headlamp units have lost their sheen due to whatever reasons, it could result in loss of brightness. If you could post pics of your head lights, it could make troubleshooting easy.
Problem solved. The hot wire connector carrying power to relay from battery had corroded due to battery acids. Removed, cleaned and refixed. now the brightness is back. Thanks. Is slight spill over from battery is normal?
Old 4th June 2012, 18:39   #4417
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Problem solved. The hot wire connector carrying power to relay from battery had corroded due to battery acids. Removed, cleaned and refixed. now the brightness is back. Thanks. Is slight spill over from battery is normal?
Yes, but there is a remedy. The next time you replace your battery, replace it with a Cummins VRLA battery. I ve been using it for the past three years with absolutely no issues.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 06:06   #4418
BHPian

The starting problem is hunting me. Here it goes. If I start the car and drive a couple of hundred meters without any accelerator, and then switch off the engine and try to start after some time, it would take 8-9 rounds, sometimes barely starting. TASS is ignoring the problem. This started after they worked on alternator overhaul, fuel filter circuit change, and heater circuit change. Alternator charging voltage is checked.
Old 9th June 2012, 16:32   #4419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The starting problem is hunting me. Here it goes. If I start the car and drive a couple of hundred meters without any accelerator, and then switch off the engine and try to start after some time, it would take 8-9 rounds, sometimes barely starting. TASS is ignoring the problem. This started after they worked on alternator overhaul, fuel filter circuit change, and heater circuit change. Alternator charging voltage is checked.
Since you are mentioning the above, seems like its sucking air with fuel somewhere across the line/ plumbing, once it warms up the gap is filled.
Old 10th June 2012, 07:35   #4420
BHPian

Quote:
Since you are mentioning the above, seems like its sucking air with fuel somewhere across the line/ plumbing, once it warms up the gap is filled.
What is the best way to check for air leakage? Since the service center is not agreeing to it, I may have to recommend some procedure to prove something is wrong.
Old 10th June 2012, 10:29   #4421
Senior - BHPian

The car pulling to left problem has not gone even after past 3 alignments. I wonder if it is due to left slopes of road or something other. The TASS guys says that everything is ok it is the slope of road that causes left pulling. I have to drive always like one used to drive in older jeeps where constant right-left movement of steering wheel is required for going straight.

@sumannandy: Whenever the problem resurfaces try and prime the diesel pump. If the pump lever (that goes up and down) is loose at initial stage then it means that the car is sucking air in the fuel lines.
Old 10th June 2012, 19:30   #4422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the best way to check for air leakage? Since the service center is not agreeing to it, I may have to recommend some procedure to prove something is wrong.
There is backleak test which needs to be performed and T.A.S.S does not do it themselves, a competent outside workshop should be able to do it.

For easy reference have attached the procedure but this is for KIA, the pressure readings will be different, rest remains the same.

Engine does not start.pdf
Old 10th June 2012, 19:58   #4423
Senior - BHPian

Maybe an OT but wanted to share it here. Got a call from Tata motors for a survey about my Safaris buying experience and here is an email that i wrote to their customer service manager to ensure that they are on their toes

Just wanted to check if there's anyone else who's got a similar call after their purchase??

Hi Sir,

I got a survey call from your team and the following questions were
asked from me. I've also mentioned the ratings that i gave for future
reference.

Rahul told me that all shortcomings would be followed up with me from
the relevant departments.

1 ) whether showroom staff attended properly or not - 8

2) Follow up during buying the car - 5

3) Quality/demo of vehicle - 6

4) commitment fulfilled by dealer or not - 7

5) committed time of delivery - 9

6) committed day of delivery - 9

7) Expalanation during delivery of car - 7

8) Condition of delivery vehicle - 7

9) call from dealer for satisfaction - Yes

10 ) Got documents or not - No

11) Problems in car - Yes

12 )Service reminder - No

13) First service satisfied or not - No

Looking forward for a long lasting relationship with TATA motors.

Following is the toll free number given to me for future follow up
purposes 1800-209-7979

Last edited by harishnayak : 10th June 2012 at 19:59. Reason: addition of content
Old 10th June 2012, 20:09   #4424
BHPian

Quote:
There is backleak test which needs to be performed and T.A.S.S does not do it themselves, a competent outside workshop should be able to do it.

For easy reference have attached the procedure but this is for KIA, the pressure readings will be different, rest remains the same.

Attachment 938934
Thank you. If this is the problem, could it affect any other parts while we are still at it? I have a new fuel pump head and also the bottom part is overhauled. Mine is not a CRDI though.

Actually, it may not be possible for me to attend to this problem for a couple of more days. so just checking in.
Old 11th June 2012, 18:08   #4425
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. If this is the problem, could it affect any other parts while we are still at it? I have a new fuel pump head and also the bottom part is overhauled. Mine is not a CRDI though.

Actually, it may not be possible for me to attend to this problem for a couple of more days. so just checking in.
If its not Dicor, then please check if the fuel system has a NRV (Non return valve). I had a similar problem in Indigo and was traced to a sticky NRV. I am not sure if its there in Safari. Are you still with Aadya? Mine was traced by Concorde

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks