Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2012, 09:06   #4381
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
the issue was identified as a EGR value, its the 2nd time i am replacing it after my owner ship in last 2 yrs.
EGR valve last a lifetime and only if there is excessive carbon builtup do they jam up, please get the root cause diagnosed as its been replaced too often and after your warranty period its your cost. Do check for excessive engine oil and or faulty oil separator.
Old 19th May 2012, 17:11   #4382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
EGR valve last a lifetime and only if there is excessive carbon builtup do they jam up, please get the root cause diagnosed as its been replaced too often and after your warranty period its your cost. Do check for excessive engine oil and or faulty oil separator.
i also had a complete checkup today and it was confirmed that the failure for EGR valve was due to some pipes(not sure what technical the SA used) which were blocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One of the causes can be the rail pressure sensor.
Also one more thing which service adviser has identified and informed the driver was that there is visibility of slight Blockage in one of the fuel injectors and has asked him to get it cleaned outside any where since its a job which is possible out side and the Service station doesn't entertain cleaning the Injectors.

also he said if it has requested to change in the service station he can get it replaced for 12k for one injector.

now the question to all Safari owners is where can i get the injector cleaned in Bangalore any reliable Service station where i can go and get the job done, or any one got it done any where in bangalore.

much help is appreciated in advance.
Old 20th May 2012, 22:16   #4383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I'm using Philips Extreme Vision and highly satisfied with it. Done lots of night drive with it and I do not feel any visibility problem. It is just bulb replacement with original wiring. No cutting, making hole etc.

One more thing, I have adjusted my fog lamps 20 feet away from car. It acts as supplement for near vision when headlights are in upper.

I am using the same for around 3 months now (60/55 watts).. Much improved light although not as bright as other cars.. but not a waste at all
Old 25th May 2012, 11:32   #4384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Faced a problem with my 3.0L at recent Udaipur trip:

When we stopped at a roadside shop for some breakfast, and came back, unlocked the car with remote, inserted keys in ignition and twisted to start the car only to realize that there was nothing happening. I mean odo was blank, engine was'nt craking, I called my mechanic and he said to check fuses, the fuses were alright, he then asked if the immobiliser lock is blinking, no it was'nt (meaning the car is unlocked, the remote is working). After fiddling for around 15 mins suddenly everything came back to normal. I cranked the engine and it started. Don't know what might have happened.

Anybody if have faced similar issue please clarify.
Faced this problem yesterday again. There was no response from the starter, the odo was blank, there was only relay clicking sound when twisting the keys. I fiddled around 15 mins going nowhere. Then, I remembered someone here suggested me to check below the drivers seat if the connector is loose I tapped the ECU located below drivers seat (I guess it is for central locking and immobiliser) (or whaever electronic thing it is called as) and tightened the connector suddenly everything came back to normal. Even, the central locking which was not working from last 2 months (neither by remote nor by drivers side lock) started working. Will clean out the connectors.

Thanks.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 15:01   #4385
BHPian

General Question about Suspension

I have traveled about 70,000 kms on the Safari and the front suspension needs the work to be done. However, I have a North East India trip ( About 7500kms) coming up in a month. And the front suspension would take a big beating during this trip. Additionally I would have to replace all the 4 tyres for the trip.

So my question to the gurus here is that should I get the Suspension work done and then go to the NE trip? Or Should I wait for the NE trip to finish and then get the work done?

No matter what the case, the new tyres have to be put on the Safari. The current tyres will definitely not last the distance. There are no alignment problems as such, but since the suspension has a lot of play, from past experience, there will be uneven wear and tear of the tyres. The inner side of the tyre will wear faster than the outer side. So the there will be reduced life of new tyres if I dont get the work done.

However, if I do get the work done, there is a high probability that I would need to get the front suspension work done again after the trip. Or atleast reduce the life of the new front suspension.

Any suggestions on this would be helpful for me.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:51   #4386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
General Question about Suspension

I have traveled about 70,000 kms on the Safari and the front suspension needs the work to be done. However, I have a North East India trip ( About 7500kms) coming up in a month. And the front suspension would take a big beating during this trip. Additionally I would have to replace all the 4 tyres for the trip.

It would be SAFER to get suspension work done and new tyres. Handling would be vastly improved. And I dont think you would need a massive suspension rework just coz you did a long journey in a bad terrain. ( If so, tsk's Safari or adc's would be tass most of the time!)
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 16:43   #4387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
there will be uneven wear and tear of the tyres. The inner side of the tyre will wear faster than the outer side. So the there will be reduced life of new tyres if I dont get the work done.

However, if I do get the work done, there is a high probability that I would need to get the front suspension work done again after the trip. Or atleast reduce the life of the new front suspension.

Hi himavanth_m,

You have the answer in your question if you get the work done and Install the tyres then you dont have any issues for future.

If you Install the Tyres Finish the trip and then come back to get the suspension work then the answer is simple the Wear of the tyres would be more because of bad Suspension.

so i would suggest get the work done and go..

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 25th May 2012 at 16:59.
Old 25th May 2012, 19:47   #4388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman07 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Need your guidance on the following issues that I am facing with Jan-12 Safari VX 4X4. It has completed 10k kms.

Issue 1 : From Friday, I am hearing a strange Krrrrr noise when the turbo activates at 1800-2000 rpm. The noise is evident in each gear. Before and after the rpm range vehicle is behaving normally. I feel that the noise is from turbo bearing. Any idea?

Issue 2 : From the first day I am facing the famous issue of vehicle moving towards left. Have given it to TASS multiple times but no luck. Shim adjustment was also done but still no luck. Any suggestions how i should go about resolving this problem?

Thanks
Naman
Took the vehicle to Dynamic Automobiles for getting the above items rectified.

Issue 1 - The noise was of the silencer shield and was coming due to the welding break at one point.

Issue 2 - Corrected by adding a few shims to the left side.

A big thanks to Anupam sir (anupam000) for helping me out in getting the above problems rectified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
I've experienced this at times in the 3300 - 3600 rpm change, when i rev so high. It has been rectified and diagnosed as a missing rubber snubber somowhere and at that frequency resonance happens and creates that Krrr Krr noise, and that too quite violently.

Just check for some damaged rubber component in the underbelly. Some metal vibration which was supposed to be damped, is not being done so. This should also happen at stand-still I believe.
Thanks Harsh. The sound was indeed of a loose part.
Old 25th May 2012, 22:19   #4389
BHPian

Hey Fellow Mortals

Facing an issue with the 4wd on my Safari and would appreciate help in troubleshooting the same. The 4H & 4L lights remain on while the vehicle is running. I believe this indicates an electrical malfunction in the 4wd system. Got it check at TASS and they said that it is a problem with the motor which had to be replaced. Estimate 15k. Also, I was told that the motor would have to be ordered and would take a month or so to arrive. I decided to get the problem checked outside TASS.

Found a competent electrical technician. He checked the motor and found it to be working fine. Then he checked the 4wd ECM and found that to be working fine as well. Since the motor and ECM have been checked to be working fine separately there seems to be a problem with relay between the two somewhere. Can anyone help with further troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 26th May 2012, 16:52   #4390
BHPian

Hi,

I replaced my OEM headlamp bulbs on my safari with 100/90 from philips two months ago. I added a Hella wiring kit also. Though the light was very bright initially, i feel that the brightness is coming down slowly and now it is similar to 55/60 bulbs. How i realize this is, i have a pair of Neolite fog lamps on my car. When i changed the bulbs for the first two-three weeks, switching ON neolite was hardly visible with the headlight in bright mode. But now neolite is clearly visible as it was with 55/60 bulbs.

Experts any idea, can the bulb's brightness fade off as we use.
Thanks.
Old 26th May 2012, 21:39   #4391
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Since the motor and ECM have been checked to be working fine separately there seems to be a problem with relay between the two somewhere. Can anyone help with further troubleshooting ideas?
Check your dashboard wiring. Bulbs can come on even if the bulb itself is "grounding" somewhere. Since the motor and the ECU are fine, it is the bulb wiring which is getting earthed somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Experts any idea, can the bulb's brightness fade off as we use.
Thanks.
Bulbs do NOT lose their brightness, even over thousands of kilometers, however, if your headlamp units have lost their sheen due to whatever reasons, it could result in loss of brightness. If you could post pics of your head lights, it could make troubleshooting easy.
Old 26th May 2012, 21:56   #4392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Bulbs do NOT lose their brightness, even over thousands of kilometers, however, if your headlamp units have lost their sheen due to whatever reasons, it could result in loss of brightness. If you could post pics of your head lights, it could make troubleshooting easy.
Headlamps seems to be normal to me. Mine is one and half year old and done 56K. I have attached a snap.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img2011122500114.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img2011112500069small.jpg  

Old 27th May 2012, 10:12   #4393
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k
Hey Fellow Mortals

Facing an issue with the 4wd on my Safari and would appreciate help in troubleshooting the same. The 4H & 4L lights remain on while the vehicle is running. I believe this indicates an electrical malfunction in the 4wd system. Got it check at TASS and they said that it is a problem with the motor which had to be replaced. Estimate 15k. Also, I was told that the motor would have to be ordered and would take a month or so to arrive. I decided to get the problem checked outside TASS.

Found a competent electrical technician. He checked the motor and found it to be working fine. Then he checked the 4wd ECM and found that to be working fine as well. Since the motor and ECM have been checked to be working fine separately there seems to be a problem with relay between the two somewhere. Can anyone help with further troubleshooting ideas?
!
Not sure how old your Safari is but obviously there is no need to spend 15k to resolve this! When you say the lights are on do you also feel the hubs are locked or 4wd is engaged? If there is no mechanical impact, you can ask the electrician to open up the entire setup and clean up all the connectors. Have had this issue many times and it's also been traced to the dashboard lights also.
Old 27th May 2012, 14:41   #4394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Not sure how old your Safari is but obviously there is no need to spend 15k to resolve this! When you say the lights are on do you also feel the hubs are locked or 4wd is engaged? If there is no mechanical impact, you can ask the electrician to open up the entire setup and clean up all the connectors. Have had this issue many times and it's also been traced to the dashboard lights also.
Hi guys, thanks for the advice!

The 4wd is not engaging and the hubs are not locking (can't hear them engaging). Checked the 4wd dashboard switch as well and that seems to be fine. Any further ideas?
Old 27th May 2012, 19:50   #4395
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the advice!

The 4wd is not engaging and the hubs are not locking (can't hear them engaging). Checked the 4wd dashboard switch as well and that seems to be fine. Any further ideas?
Does your 4wd work?

1) Engage 4wd. If not 4H, Car behavior in 4L is clearly different so you'll know if the mechanism works when you move forward.
2) Now disengage 4WD and take it back to 2WD and move in reverse for about 20 feet. If the 4wd mechanism is working fine the hubs will disengage and even though your lights remain on, you'll be able to take a turn without locking your wheels.

A) If you can manage all the above then don't worry about the lights. Its just the Tata magic! I have them come on off and on. They switch off in the same inexplicable fashion that they came on!
B) If nothing happens when you engaged means your switch has issues as your motor and ECM is already working as per your earlier post.

Let us know what happens.
Cheers,
Adi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks