Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2012, 08:13   #4366
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

@Speedy Racer - is it a 2.2 or a 3.0 ? How much has it run ?
Old 17th May 2012, 09:50   #4367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER
Hi All,

i am recently hearing from my driver who is driving the vehicle in India is complaining that quite frequently when he is driving the vehicle he is feeling a loss in power(not regular) and some times the vehicle is not moving beyond 80kmph is there some thing which i have to see before taking it to the service centre.

the vehicle will not be driven for next 1 month after sunday as the driver is going on a holiday for 1 month and i will come to India in June, so wanted to check is there some thing which the driver can Check or take it to the local work shop and get it checked before taking it to the Service centre.
Check if the engine check light is on indicating a limp back home mode, which essentially means something wrong.

If no indication, ask him to rev hard to clear up any carbon buildup in the egr.

Put system d with diesel, as per recommendation to help clean up any clogging in the fuel system.

Also ask him to check if there is any knocking kind of sound which indicates injector clogging..

Either way, getting the vehicle checked is a good thing to do.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:46   #4368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Hi All,

i am recently hearing from my driver who is driving the vehicle in India is complaining that quite frequently when he is driving the vehicle he is feeling a loss in power(not regular) and some times the vehicle is not moving beyond 80kmph is there some thing which i have to see before taking it to the service centre.
Seems like signs of something wrong with the Turbo. Drives tend to switch off ignition immediately after stopping and that may be one reason, if at all

Get it checked...
Old 17th May 2012, 11:00   #4369
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

the vehicle will not be driven for next 1 month after sunday as the driver is going on a holiday for 1 month and i will come to India in June, so wanted to check is there some thing which the driver can Check or take it to the local work shop and get it checked before taking it to the Service centre.
Rev car in idle and check if it is going to high RPM,s, or if there is unusual smoke. This might help pinpoint the problem. If the issue is not reproducible, the service engineers have the tendancy to shrug it off. Also keep a check for engine light, when this happens. If light comes then it is good, as the event is then recorded in the ECU, and service center has to do something about it.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:42   #4370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Rev car in idle and check if it is going to high RPM,s, or if there is unusual smoke. This might help pinpoint the problem. If the issue is not reproducible, the service engineers have the tendancy to shrug it off. Also keep a check for engine light, when this happens. If light comes then it is good, as the event is then recorded in the ECU, and service center has to do something about it.
Yes, yesterday the check engine light has come when i asked him about this.

also he said that when the vehicle is in Idle every thing seems to be fine, pickup, Smoke etc, but this problem is not repeated or comes regular, it h
come yesterday when the vehicle was coming from my home town, and it came once in home town.

he is going on a leave only on this week end so once i am back i will take it ASC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Seems like signs of something wrong with the Turbo. Drives tend to switch off ignition immediately after stopping and that may be one reason, if at all

Get it checked...
Turbo is not yet a problem because it kicks quite good as per his analysis, i was thinking bad fuel or the supply is not good.

let me check the pipes which goes into the turbo, they might have been blocked.
Old 17th May 2012, 12:03   #4371
BHPian

Quote:
Turbo is not yet a problem because it kicks quite good as per his analysis, i was thinking bad fuel or the supply is not good.

Another thing you may check is the Alternator Regulator,

Happened with me once. Car will occasionally loose power @ about 50-60kmph and chk engine would come on and then disappear in few moments

The TASS checked battery voltage via multimeter and ran diagnosis. It was the alternator regulator which had gone bad and was overcharging the battery,

The regulator was changed and everything returned to normal

regards

Rajeev
Old 18th May 2012, 03:01   #4372
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, yesterday the check engine light has come when i asked him about this.

also he said that when the vehicle is in Idle every thing seems to be fine, pickup, Smoke etc, but this problem is not repeated or comes regular, it h
come yesterday when the vehicle was coming from my home town, and it came once in home town.

he is going on a leave only on this week end so once i am back i will take it ASC.

Hi All got it checked and the defect has been identified as EGR value.
so ordered it getting it replaced once the item is arrived in Bangalore ASC.

i will get it changed once i am in bangalore
Old 18th May 2012, 12:27   #4373
BHPian

Not sure if this was posted before, but is it possible to change the recline angle of the middle row seat? Basically, increase the angle by a few degrees. Current posture is not good for long drives.
Old 18th May 2012, 12:56   #4374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
Not sure if this was posted before, but is it possible to change the recline angle of the middle row seat? Basically, increase the angle by a few degrees. Current posture is not good for long drives.
Yes its very much possible. as i had implemented the Third Row so for making the leg room i made the angle bit vertical.

lets take it was 90 degree's of incline, we made it to 80 degree.

and we can make it even more, just a matter of clamps which will hold the current lock position and move it further and then fix the lock on the clamp.

will try to post a picture of the clamp.
Old 18th May 2012, 13:27   #4375
BHPian

Quote:
Yes its very much possible. as i had implemented the Third Row so for making the leg room i made the angle bit vertical.

lets take it was 90 degree's of incline, we made it to 80 degree.

and we can make it even more, just a matter of clamps which will hold the current lock position and move it further and then fix the lock on the clamp.

will try to post a picture of the clamp.
Thanks, yes a picture will be very useful. I went for a long drive some time back and got complaints from the passengers that the rear set was not that comfy, i tried it and turned out that because of the wicked angle, it was difficult to relax.

I noticed that the seat rests on some plastic part and the lock, will there be any modification required to these?
Old 18th May 2012, 14:39   #4376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Speedy Racer - is it a 2.2 or a 3.0 ? How much has it run ?
its a 3.0 ltr, and it has run 1,00,000 kms, regularly serviced
Old 18th May 2012, 14:43   #4377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
Thanks, yes a picture will be very useful. I went for a long drive some time back and got complaints from the passengers that the rear set was not that comfy, i tried it and turned out that because of the wicked angle, it was difficult to relax.

I noticed that the seat rests on some plastic part and the lock, will there be any modification required to these?
Hi,

no modifications required on locks or plastic parts, just create a 2 plates and remove the existing bolts which are on the seats and then install the new plates. also make the similar holes and place the locks on the new plate and fix. it.

will try to source the picture as i dont have them with me now. but if you can give me a ping in June end i can show it to you on my beast.

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 18th May 2012 at 14:49.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:01   #4378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
its a 3.0 ltr, and it has run 1,00,000 kms, regularly serviced
One of the causes can be the rail pressure sensor.
Old 18th May 2012, 19:20   #4379
Senior - BHPian

My Safari (62k on odo) was in the workshop for the longest time since my ownership, all of 14 days, cause :
There was water seepage in the footwells from the HVAC system, fault was diagnosed to be a faulty thermostat, but the real problem which caused the delay in the workshop was a cracked plastic hinge in the recirculation flap mechanism, this was causing the flap to get stuck between open and close.
Now, Tata Motors do not have spares of the mechanism, so a warranty claim was raised for complete blower motor assembly, the claim was approved for "blower motor only" when there was absolutely no fault with the blower motor, I was given the option to get the assembly changed on my cost, it cost ONLY 14k, I asked them to take a hike. Imagine paying 14k for something which would not cost more than 20 bucks.

Then the workshop called me one fine day and said the issue is resolved and they have "repaired" the recirculation flap mechanism. I told them if their idea of "repair" was to use superglue to fix a broken part then I will not accept it, immediately the status went from "job done" to "we will have a relook".

Finally, the A.S.C took the help of Subros the OE supplier and sourced the small plastic part, all this took them 14 full days. The damage to the pocket = 4300/- (2k for removal and refitting of dashboard and a thermostat)

The problem of water seepage seems to have stopped for now, will have to see over a period of time.
Old 18th May 2012, 19:34   #4380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One of the causes can be the rail pressure sensor.
the issue was identified as a EGR value, its the 2nd time i am replacing it after my owner ship in last 2 yrs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks