Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 22:23   #4336
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
Anup sir. That was incredible troubleshooting I must say. This can come only through experience!
Got the filter circuit replaced, but the problem persists. Sometimes it starts at half crank, sometimes takes a number of cranks.

Service center says it is normal, but earlier it always used to start at half crank .

Help.

Last edited by sumannandy : 8th May 2012 at 22:53.
Old 8th May 2012, 23:08   #4337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Got the filter circuit replaced, but the problem persists. Sometimes it starts at half crank, sometimes takes a number of cranks.

Service center says it is normal, but earlier it always used to start at half crank .

Help.
How is the health of the battery ? How old is the battery ?
Old 8th May 2012, 23:22   #4338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Hey Fellow Mortals!

Got a problem with my 2.2L (2008) and request your advise. The vehicle is at the service center for checkup on engine noise and I've been informed that all the four injectors have to be replaced. This has been verified by technicians from Lucas. Estimate is around 50k. Current mileage is 79k+. There is also a history with the injectors as they were earlier replaced (@ approx 56k mileage, June 2011) under warranty. My knowledge of engine and vehicle operations is limited but even as a layman I'm unable to digest that injectors can go bad twice in the two and a half years running life of the vehicle. As per service manager the injectors have gone bad due to bad fuel, which is again hard to swallow.

Shouldn't the injectors that were replaced @ 56k be lasting longer? Even if I do pay for this repair, I fear this problem cropping up again in a few months and costing more money.

Request your quick suggestions / advise on this and thanks in advance.
I had something similar on my Safari 2.2. I used to get engine rpm fluctuations i.e at idle rpm used to dip to 500 and come back to 900. This used to happen during cold starts as well as idling at signals etc., Usually accompanied with knocking type of sound in the engine.

Concorde diagnosed the problem with one injector, but have to replace all 4 as a set. They also suggested that the problem is not severe, and I can run the car without issues.

For the last 3 tankfuls, I've been putting System D, which has for reasons unknown to me, stopped the rpm dip problem. The engine knocking sound comes sometimes.

If it is a bad fuel problem, my reasoning is that it should go away with either a injector flush or fuel system cleaner like system D.

Plan to use System D for about 10 tankfuls ( 2 bottles ), and see if it makes a difference.

Else will have to find a Friendly Neighbourhood garage to open the injectors and give it to me for taking to another place for repairs.

BTW, I was checking my earlier invoices, which had injector replacements under extended warrranty, and find that the invoice mentions reconditioned injectors. Has anyone else come across this ?
Old 9th May 2012, 08:14   #4339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
How is the health of the battery ? How old is the battery ?
The battery is about 6 months old. Its a Tata Greens battery.
Old 9th May 2012, 08:19   #4340
Distinguished - BHPian

For all Safari DiCOR owners:

T.A.S.S should now have Castrol 10W40 semi-synth. Apparently not available outside (yet).
(I dont have the pricing info)
Old 9th May 2012, 09:23   #4341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T.A.S.S should now have Castrol 10W40 semi-synth. Apparently not available outside (yet).
(I dont have the pricing info)
From what I heard it is not T.A.S.S, but the dealer in question, people going to Concorde, KHT or Aadya can check and revert.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:38   #4342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams_4x4 View Post
Hi All,

After reaching Bangalore, I had taken my beast to concorde motors, Mysore road. But they did not have the scanner / Laptop when I reached there. They gave me the reason that some technician had taken them to inspect a break down vehicle.

Anyhow, my beast is due for 30K kms service this thursday.
1. Can anyone let me know the cost of 30K kms service (I do not have any AMC).
2. What other things I should take care / ask the SA other than the things mentioned in the Service Manuals ?.
3. Do I need to get the Engine mount bushes checked ?
4. If the same error code appears this time also, should I ask for the replacement of the sensor? (The SA tells that there is no problem with the vehicle or the sensor).
How do I escalate this issue beyound SA and take it to the next level.
If you drove it sedately for long distance you would see engine check light. This should go off if you redline it for couple of seconds as described in the manual. Happens coz of carbon deposit.

@ 30k service they will change fuel filter which is the costlied of the items in 30k service. I am not sure but if they dont change air filter, do check and get it replaced if needed.
Engine bushes ? Your Safari is still new (kindof) and you wont need to.

Check ownership threads to get details of other users.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:38   #4343
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Fellow Mortals!

Got a problem with my 2.2L (2008) and request your advise. The vehicle is at the service center for checkup on engine noise and I've been informed that all the four injectors have to be replaced. This has been verified by technicians from Lucas. Estimate is around 50k. Current mileage is 79k+. There is also a history with the injectors as they were earlier replaced (@ approx 56k mileage, June 2011) under warranty. My knowledge of engine and vehicle operations is limited but even as a layman I'm unable to digest that injectors can go bad twice in the two and a half years running life of the vehicle. As per service manager the injectors have gone bad due to bad fuel, which is again hard to swallow.

Shouldn't the injectors that were replaced @ 56k be lasting longer? Even if I do pay for this repair, I fear this problem cropping up again in a few months and costing more money.

Request your quick suggestions / advise on this and thanks in advance.

The engine noise you are mentioning is emitting all the time or only when a/c is switched on ?. Please confirm on this. The Dicor injectors can be repaired successfully at cost of max Rs25000/- . Since you have mentioned that the injectors were replaced at 56k km it is too early to replace those again unless you have been feeding a very low quality diesel. Even the replacement of injectors @ 56k was too early.

Now if you dont feel any other problem like loss of power, mileage or starting trouble I would advice you to kindly wait for a few tankfulls. Always refill the tank with Diesel + System D. If by chance you have had a dose of bad quality of Diesel the effect is bound to be seen atleast for 3 4 tank fulls. So wait and watch.

Regards

Samir
Old 10th May 2012, 21:15   #4344
BHPian

Hey all,

Got a small problem today, After getting my car washed I found the clutch pedal squeaking, no issues with the clutch but only the clutch pedal seems to squeak when it is depressed as the problem continues even after the car is off. Will spraying WD40 near the pedal help and if yes where do I exactly spray it?
Old 11th May 2012, 11:18   #4345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
The engine noise you are mentioning is emitting all the time or only when a/c is switched on ?. Please confirm on this. The Dicor injectors can be repaired successfully at cost of max Rs25000/- . Since you have mentioned that the injectors were replaced at 56k km it is too early to replace those again unless you have been feeding a very low quality diesel. Even the replacement of injectors @ 56k was too early.

Now if you dont feel any other problem like loss of power, mileage or starting trouble I would advice you to kindly wait for a few tankfulls. Always refill the tank with Diesel + System D. If by chance you have had a dose of bad quality of Diesel the effect is bound to be seen atleast for 3 4 tank fulls. So wait and watch.

Regards

Samir
Hi Samir,
I too have a similar problem of engine noise. This usually comes during switching ON AC or when releasing clutch without giving throttle. The engine idles like a 407 truck engine. Had been to concorde yesterday and they repinned the injectors. Now the sound is more prominent at idling even without AC ON. Any idea as to what could be the reason. Do i need to use System D? Mine is a Oct 2010 BS4 model has done 54K as on today.
Thanks,
Old 11th May 2012, 16:54   #4346
BHPian

Quote:

Regards

Samir
Hi Samir
Thanks for the kind advice. The issue I was facing has been fixed.

Update on the injectors problem.
I've in fact got the work done from an independent workshop. Two injectors turned out to be fine. One injector was blocked and simple cleaning fixed it. The fourth injector was jammed. This was removed and cleaned. Total cost (labour only) was Rs 1.5k and the vehicle seems to be running fine now. I'm going to get the fuel tank cleaned and fuel filters changed tomorrow, and hopefully it should be the end of this issue. Any idea on how much the pair of fuel filters cost?
Old 11th May 2012, 17:39   #4347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Hi Samir,
I too have a similar problem of engine noise. This usually comes during switching ON AC or when releasing clutch without giving throttle. The engine idles like a 407 truck engine. Had been to concorde yesterday and they repinned the injectors. Now the sound is more prominent at idling even without AC ON. Any idea as to what could be the reason. Do i need to use System D? Mine is a Oct 2010 BS4 model has done 54K as on today.
Thanks,

You may have to get the injectors nad the pump calibrated. First go in for injectors calibration. If the injectors are sticky then you may get the knocking sound at certain speeds. If the problem persists then you may also have to get the pump calibrated. Please confirm with the Tata Motors dealer has he hooked the lappie to you car and checked for the live data. He may get an idea of the system by doing so.

Keep me updated

Regards

Samir
Old 11th May 2012, 17:43   #4348
BHPian

Quote:
You may have to get the injectors nad the pump calibrated. First go in for injectors calibration. If the injectors are sticky then you may get the knocking sound at certain speeds. If the problem persists then you may also have to get the pump calibrated. Please confirm with the Tata Motors dealer has he hooked the lappie to you car and checked for the live data. He may get an idea of the system by doing so.

Keep me updated

Regards

Samir
They seem to have used the laptop and reprogrammed the injectors. He told me that some numbers of injectors have been modified through laptop. He told me to wait for one week and if the sound doesn't subside then i have to take it again. Will keep you posted.
Old 11th May 2012, 20:26   #4349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hey all,

Got a small problem today, After getting my car washed I found the clutch pedal squeaking, no issues with the clutch but only the clutch pedal seems to squeak when it is depressed as the problem continues even after the car is off. Will spraying WD40 near the pedal help and if yes where do I exactly spray it?
Clutch pedal squeaking after wash has no reation since the pedal is inside the cabin.

If you look at the clutch pedal there is a spring which is hooked on both sides to an anchor. Spray WD40 concentrated on both the anchor points. It should go away.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 11:17   #4350
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Samir
. Any idea on how much the pair of fuel filters cost?
Fuel filter is around 1750 in the tata workshop. Might be around 1400 in outside market.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks