Old 13th April 2012, 14:56   #4291
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Thanks Raghu,

"have used more than 2-3pairs on my Safari already"
btw does the bulb blow often??? you have mentioned
usually nightbreakers have some kind of warranty (i got one for 6 months or so). They don't blow that often at all! They are pretty expensive as well.
The others, such as hella don't come with any kind of warranty and boy, i've had some issues with them.
Also, the throw of the nightbreakers is a little whitish which I don't like during long night drives and during the rainy seasons. A 90/100 with proper relay should do the job.

Tejas

Last edited by bantejas : 13th April 2012 at 15:00. Reason: realized, lohith doesn't stay in bangalore :).
Old 13th April 2012, 16:25   #4292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
there is some issue! Get it checked. I might have changed one bulb all these years! I use 90/100 Philips Rally

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...headlamps.html
JK it is nothing but the Nightbreakers are known for it and was told the same by the distributor who was a friend of mine.
Old 13th April 2012, 16:46   #4293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
JK it is nothing but the Nightbreakers are known for it and was told the same by the distributor who was a friend of mine.
The nightbreakers lasted a year and a half for me (still works I guess) after which I changed to Hella 90/100. the hellas blow off pretty often, but haven't heard the same about nightbreakers.
Old 14th April 2012, 14:03   #4294
Senior - BHPian

The Safari is in more demand than ever right now. It was in last week of December that I crossed 1lac and just 3.5 months later I am almost staring at the 120k mark!

Now my question. The service booklet provides a maintenance schedule only uptil 105k mark. What schedule should one follow beyond that?

Secondly as the vehicle ages, is it advisable to reduce the engine oil change intervals or in general reduce the vehicle service intervals?
Old 15th April 2012, 12:05   #4295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
The Safari is in more demand than ever right now. It was in last week of December that I crossed 1lac and just 3.5 months later I am almost staring at the 120k mark!

Now my question. The service booklet provides a maintenance schedule only uptil 105k mark. What schedule should one follow beyond that?

Secondly as the vehicle ages, is it advisable to reduce the engine oil change intervals or in general reduce the vehicle service intervals?
If you have followed all schedules and part replacements till 105K, follow it from the beginning.
Old 15th April 2012, 15:07   #4296
BHPian

So here is the problem I am facing in my safari after a recent alternator work and oil change, diesel filter change.

Starting trouble - occasionally.

When the vehicle is hot(like switched off at signal) or cold (like morning, or after more than 1 hours of 'rest'), no problem. The vehicle starts at half crank.

Between 15 mins and about an hour after the vehicle is switched off, the vehicle 'sometimes' takes 2-3 cranks.

Why? Please help. Earlier it used be half crank always.

P.S. They did have some trouble in priming the pump after diesel filter change. Also, battery was replaced 6 months back.

Last edited by sumannandy : 15th April 2012 at 15:08.
Old 15th April 2012, 18:09   #4297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
if i need to replace the stock bulbs with 100/90 H4 phillips, would it require any rewiring work like adding a relay? Or can they just replace the stock bulbs in the safari.
Old 16th April 2012, 06:54   #4298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
if i need to replace the stock bulbs with 100/90 H4 phillips, would it require any rewiring work like adding a relay? Or can they just replace the stock bulbs in the safari.
It would require adding relays for safety. I am using Philips Rally and the bulbs cost about Rs. 200. Good throw. But after some time your headlight assembly may be affected due to excessive heat. In my case I had to change one of the assemblies.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:25   #4299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Yes you have to do rewiring and they do not fit in the stock settings as the stock bulbs are 55/60
Old 16th April 2012, 13:37   #4300
BHPian

Diesel Tuning Box for The Tata Safari 2.2L

Hi,
about 5 months back I completed 60k in my safari 2.2 lx and during the period of time I had got many components like , Fuel injection pump, alternator, switches, and also some parts(Bearing not sure ) of the crankshaft replaced under warranty ( almost costing close to 75 k to 1 lac ) which justified the decision of taking the extended warranty when i bought the vehicle 4 years ago (Again thanks to TeamBHp and its members for it ).

As the warranty(extended) was over I wanted to experiment with the vehicle started looking out for a Diesel tuning box which I came across in some automobile magazine, went trhough a lot of threads related to it in Team BHP , Had been to Redrooster performance in bangalore to check Spider Tuning box few months back (when my vehicle was under warranty),
But did not go for it at that time as my vehicle had some issues like power drop/ too much grinding noise ) and it was supposed to be fixed in the service center (KHT service centre Bangalore which was rectified to perfection later in december).

Finally I came across a thread in Team BHP where there were comparison test done on various Diesel tuning boxes like spider,racedynamix, racechip etc. finalised on racechip reason lower cost and emission was also under control . Along with a friend of mine(who has booked Thar) I ordered 2 tuning boxes one for safari and one for that directly from website , got it delivered withing a week and the cost per box including customs came up to 13.5 k . we fixed the box in my safari and its pretty easy tried it for a week with the default set value, and the performance was quite noticeable . then I went with 2 step up in the rotary switches in the box and the change was absolutely brilliant, feels like a petrol car the way it responds to the throttle. my friend who owns modified esteem was amazed by my vehicles power and pickup and I extremely happy with it . Now my vehicle has crossed 67 k ( 5 K with the Diesel tuning box)

Only thing to note is the change in power is more evident when the turbo kicks in. I am waiting for the delivery of my friend's thar to see how it performs with and without tuning box.

THANKS TEAM BHP and ITs MEMBERS AGAIN
avanishphatak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 12:22   #4301
BHPian

Re: Diesel Tuning Box for The Tata Safari 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
Only thing to note is the change in power is more evident when the turbo kicks in. I am waiting for the delivery of my friend's thar to see how it performs with and without tuning box.

THANKS TEAM BHP and ITs MEMBERS AGAIN
Avinash,
Congratulations for the new tuning box. With increased power and pickup, is there any impact on the FE ?

One more question here. Forgive me if this sounds stupid.
With this power modifications, will there be any effect on the turbo chargers or any other engine parts of the beast ?

Safari Gurus, please clarify.

Regards,
Shams
Old 19th April 2012, 14:25   #4302
BHPian

Re: Diesel Tuning Box for The Tata Safari 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
Hi,
I ordered 2 tuning boxes one for safari and one for that directly from website ,
Hi Avinash,

some time back i was also planning to get this tuning box from race chip, can you tell me which one did you opt the Race Chip/ Race Chip Pro..

i will order immediately once i hear from you, and carry it when i am coming to india.
Old 20th April 2012, 10:07   #4303
BHPian

Well looks like this issue has been fixed now. Couple of weekends ago I took her to the local Hosur TASS, they hooked up the laptop, saw the errors with regard to temp. sensor - they didn't know what to do, so simply cleared the errors, did a test drive to see if the light comes on - it didn't, so returned the car saying pls come back if the light comes on again.

The next day the light came on on my way to work. Took her to KHT in Whitefield, Bangalore where I regularly service her. Ramesh SA took 15 minutes and fixed the problem. He said it was something to do with loose coupling on the temperature sensor, and if the light comes on again, he will take more time and check her thoroughly. The light hasn't come on since for a week now, and I am pretty sure it was to do with the loose coupling and the issue is fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
Ha Ha Ha. I too have been facing this problem with my Safari for a year now. The hide and seek frequency is close to a fortnight when the service lamp lights up unexpectedly, but there is no lack in performance or power output. It goes after "re-booting" the car. It NEVER shows up as ON at TASS, so I have not been able to tell them about it. On connecting their laptop no error code ever comes because of this error.

I would love to know a solution for this too.
Old 20th April 2012, 22:15   #4304
BHPian

I'm facing a mildly vibrating steering wheel on speeds of over 100 kmph. The car travels dead straight with no deviation if I take my hands of the wheel. I don't face similar issues if I drive slower. The vibration is so mild that I cant see it but I can feel it. What could be the problem?
Also the last couple of hundred kilometres, I feel that the steering wheel has lost its feedback after 100kmph. Its used to feel direct and not so wallowvy.(if there is such a word). I feel the play may have increased.
Old 21st April 2012, 00:31   #4305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
I'm facing a mildly vibrating steering wheel on speeds of over 100 kmph. The car travels dead straight with no deviation if I take my hands of the wheel. I don't face similar issues if I drive slower. The vibration is so mild that I cant see it but I can feel it. What could be the problem?
Also the last couple of hundred kilometres, I feel that the steering wheel has lost its feedback after 100kmph. Its used to feel direct and not so wallowvy.(if there is such a word). I feel the play may have increased.
Get the wheels balanced. Wobbling at high speeds is an indication that the balancing of the wheels is out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks