Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 11:48   #4276
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

I got my Safari serviced for the 45000km last week. After the service, the engine malfunction light is showing up infrequently. There is no change in vehicle performance, and the light shows up and remains on after ignition start, occasionally. Most time it goes off as it should after ignition.
During past weekend I took her to local Hosur TASS (not KHT, Blr where I serviced her), the malfunction light was not on though at that time. They hooked up the laptop, there were 4 error codes, they said these are minor and cleared it, did a test drive but thhe light never came on.
This morning, while starting from home for work, the light was not there, but when I reached office the light was on.
I tried starting up just now, but now the light is not coming up.
It is playing hide and seek. Doesn't look like anything major, could be a loose contaact?
What could it be?
I want to take her to KHT only when the light is on....
Old 9th April 2012, 12:38   #4277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
I got my Safari serviced for the 45000km last week. After the service, the engine malfunction light is showing up infrequently. There is no change in vehicle performance, and the light shows up and remains on after ignition start, occasionally. Most time it goes off as it should after ignition.
During past weekend I took her to local Hosur TASS (not KHT, Blr where I serviced her), the malfunction light was not on though at that time. They hooked up the laptop, there were 4 error codes, they said these are minor and cleared it, did a test drive but thhe light never came on.
This morning, while starting from home for work, the light was not there, but when I reached office the light was on.
I tried starting up just now, but now the light is not coming up.
It is playing hide and seek. Doesn't look like anything major, could be a loose contaact?
What could it be?
I want to take her to KHT only when the light is on....
Ha Ha Ha. I too have been facing this problem with my Safari for a year now. The hide and seek frequency is close to a fortnight when the service lamp lights up unexpectedly, but there is no lack in performance or power output. It goes after "re-booting" the car. It NEVER shows up as ON at TASS, so I have not been able to tell them about it. On connecting their laptop no error code ever comes because of this error.

I would love to know a solution for this too.
vardhan.harsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 12:40   #4278
Senior - BHPian

Considering to "upgrade" the headlights, happy with the throw but if it gets bit powerful that would help.

Am bit skeptic on going for the cutout etc, which will mean cutting wires etc, which brings us to the risk of warranty related issue.

What you guys suggest?
Old 10th April 2012, 13:45   #4279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Considering to "upgrade" the headlights, happy with the throw but if it gets bit powerful that would help.

Am bit skeptic on going for the cutout etc, which will mean cutting wires etc, which brings us to the risk of warranty related issue.

What you guys suggest?
Go for Osram nightbreaker type of bulbs. No cutting etc., needed.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 14:05   #4280
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Tanveer, is it effective as the 90/100? and does it need holder to be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Old 10th April 2012, 14:38   #4281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Tanveer, is it effective as the 90/100? and does it need holder to be replaced?
I'm using Philips Extreme Vision and highly satisfied with it. Done lots of night drive with it and I do not feel any visibility problem. It is just bulb replacement with original wiring. No cutting, making hole etc.

One more thing, I have adjusted my fog lamps 20 feet away from car. It acts as supplement for near vision when headlights are in upper.

Last edited by anujmishra : 10th April 2012 at 14:40.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 17:29   #4282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes its as effective. No replacement of anything needed
Old 12th April 2012, 17:17   #4283
Senior - BHPian

My Beast is going for it's 1st service on saturday ( 1000 kms done ) and here are some issues that i'm facing as of now

1) Fuel lid has it's own mind and opens automatically when it wants to
2) Unable to set the time on the digital clock
3) Strange sounds from the steering column
4) Temperature gauge not working properly
5) Very less pressure on wiper spray

These are some issues that i'm facing but would like to know from fellow BHPians if theres anything else that i need to check on proactively as i want to ensure that i dont get fooled by these smart TATA technicians. Thanks!
Old 12th April 2012, 18:22   #4284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
would like to know from fellow BHPians if theres anything else that i need to check on proactively ...
Please read the service manual for first service, points are given there. It is helpful and then make list of all issues that you face. Do not rely on memory you may miss something. Try to demonstrate issue (like wiper washer pressure) to service adviser so that they remember and note it down in their service checklist.

While taking delivery, after service, do it in daylight time and keep some time with you. Check all your belongings/accessories fitted (mats etc.). They are notorious to misplace mats. (Two times they had done with me). Patiently check cleaning quality and and marks on seats/body/roof. Check power windows operation of all 4 windows and start vehicle for 2 mins and check if any engine fault lights come or not. Due to pressure wash sometimes water goes into system/sensor/ecu and fault occurs.

Check if any new marks/scratches made in your car. Better to spot while taking delivery than informing TASS later. If you spot later, it will be heartbreak.

Inquire about some 6 -7 random points (or all depending upon your patience) written in service manual and your observed problems with service adviser and get his confirmation of attending problems/routine checkups.

Last, check logos of your car at back. Many times they damage and break logos while washing (This also they did with me). Their staffs are very callous towards washing cars.

Cheers!

Last edited by anujmishra : 12th April 2012 at 18:25.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 18:33   #4285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Please read the service manual for first service...

...Cheers!
Thanks for the tips bro. I'll ensure that i'll keep a track of the things mentioned by you and trust me that hells going to break loose on them if they compromise on my cars service.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th April 2012 at 23:58. Reason: Please avoid quoting large posts as it may inconvenience small-screen/mobile users. Thanks :)
Old 13th April 2012, 12:37   #4286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Quote:
Lohit, that is the best you can get and they do a very good job - have used more than 2-3pairs on my Safari already.
gowda79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 13:38   #4287
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Raghu,

"have used more than 2-3pairs on my Safari already"
btw does the bulb blow often??? you have mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Lohit, that is the best you can get and they do a very good job - have used more than 2-3pairs on my Safari already.
Old 13th April 2012, 13:39   #4288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Raghu,

"have used more than 2-3pairs on my Safari already"
btw does the bulb blow often??? you have mentioned
They are known for it and i have driven it for 96,000kms and 4.5Years.
Old 13th April 2012, 14:50   #4289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
Thanks buddy. This my first reaction as well, however the terminal connections seems pretty well secured to me. In any case, I have taken the terminal connections out, dud some rubbing using a sand-paper to ensure that they were clean enough. Let us see if the problem resurfaces.

The battery guy checked the voltage across the terminals, it came to a steady 13.0V, but of course he did say, the battery is getting weak you should replace it. My personal opinion on his comment is that he just wanted to make a sale. The battery is only 2 years old and should not warrant a change just now. Also had the battery weak was an issue, at least some lights would have come on during the "problem time".
'.
It could be a loose grounding bolt (not sure where it is). I had a similar issue and was fixed in TASS in 2 mins and this is what they told me.
chaxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 14:55   #4290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
They are known for it and i have driven it for 96,000kms and 4.5Years.
there is some issue! Get it checked. I might have changed one bulb all these years! I use 90/100 Philips Rally

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...headlamps.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
It could be a loose grounding bolt (not sure where it is). I had a similar issue and was fixed in TASS in 2 mins and this is what they told me.

Last edited by jkdas : 13th April 2012 at 15:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks