Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 17:51   #4246
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

The cost of new one is Rs. 30k at service center and Rs. 25k outside.

They charged me Rs. 7k plus 20% handling. I have asked for a detailed break-up on Monday. Once I get that, I will check from outside if it really costs that much.
Old 24th March 2012, 20:31   #4247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
The cost of new one is Rs. 30k at service center and Rs. 25k outside.

They charged me Rs. 7k plus 20% handling. I have asked for a detailed break-up on Monday. Once I get that, I will check from outside if it really costs that much.
Alternatively, although it would have taken longer but you could have asked them to handover the alternator to you and then give it yourself to the manufacturers service center , lucas, TVS etc.

So you pay only the service charges in that case + more reliable than their local vendor.
Old 24th March 2012, 22:03   #4248
BHPian

Aadya motors promised me Rs. 4000 + 20% handling for regulator change. At the end they charged me Rs. 7k + 20% for regulator change. I did not notice it until I came home, I thought they had changed something else.

I have attached the invoice.

This is highly unethical, not to mention that regulator only costs about Rs. 4k (I verified it with other Lucas service centers).

I have already lodged a complaint. Please suggest what else I could do.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf aadya alternator.pdf (462.3 KB, 479 views)
Old 25th March 2012, 16:02   #4249
BHPian

how come regulator cost so much. I had got my Original TVS regulator for Rs 890 from outside. Cleaning up of alternator plus labour + regulator costed about Rs 1700 to me,

Tata had quoted about Rs 2500 for the regulator. By the way I have a 3L Dicor...not sure how much it is for a 2.2L but this kind of a difference is unjustified

Rajeev
Old 25th March 2012, 18:53   #4250
BHPian

Well I have an older model, TCIC safari. But this part regulator was referred as rectifier by the dealer over phone and in the bill they printed regulator. When I checked with another lucas dealer they said rectifier would cost only Rs. 4k or so. I have no idea about the cost of Regulator.

Stay away from Aadya motors. They are just after making money. In another case they charged labor for warranty repair on parts change. I complained and they adjusted it against some other work.

I have already lodged a complaint, please suggest what else I could do and what is the actual cost of a regulator for a TCIC safari (I am assuming it would cost around 2k as mentioned above).
Old 25th March 2012, 21:53   #4251
BHPian

Quote:
Aadya motors promised me Rs. 4000 + 20% handling for regulator change. At the end they charged me Rs. 7k + 20% for regulator change. I did not notice it until I came home, I thought they had changed something else.

I have attached the invoice.

This is highly unethical, not to mention that regulator only costs about Rs. 4k (I verified it with other Lucas service centers).

Dedicate half an hour everyday just to make hell for them. Log on to customer service website and all the regional numbers are available there. May the force be with you and don't quit till you see your money back and some heads roll.
Old 26th March 2012, 21:39   #4252
Team-BHP Support

There is too much play in white elephants steering.
Got center pin and steering cross changed recently, but problem got fixed for just few hundred kms.
I did not even drive on bad roads after the change, as I did not want the vehicle to be exposed to terrains not suitable for it. But still, steering pay keeps on increasing.

I am driving like 1970 Rajesh khanna in jeep constantly moving steering left right. What has to be done to come back to the 21st century? Any ideas?
Old 27th March 2012, 07:21   #4253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There is too much play in white elephants steering.
Got center pin and steering cross changed recently, but problem got fixed for just few hundred kms.
I did not even drive on bad roads after the change, as I did not want the vehicle to be exposed to terrains not suitable for it. But still, steering pay keeps on increasing.

I am driving like 1970 Rajesh khanna in jeep constantly moving steering left right. What has to be done to come back to the 21st century? Any ideas?
I faced the same problem with my Safari as well.My steering was too vague even after changing the idler arm bush a couple of times.So went in for a steering overhaul (the PS unit itself,ZF make) during my 1,20,000 kms servicing.Cost me ~ 7K in total. As expected TASCs do not repair steering systems themselves,but are sent to the vendor (ZF in this case).Got the work done in a couple of days.Since then,the vagueness is gone for sure.
Old 27th March 2012, 09:08   #4254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
As expected TASCs do not repair steering systems themselves,but are sent to the vendor (ZF in this case).Got the work done in a couple of days.Since then,the vagueness is gone for sure.
It is better that it goes to the OEM manufacturer, that way you will be sure that its overhauled properly.
Old 27th March 2012, 10:22   #4255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aadya motors promised me Rs. 4000 + 20% handling for regulator change. At the end they charged me Rs. 7k + 20% for regulator change. I did not notice it until I came home, I thought they had changed something else

I paid almost the same sometime back. The alternator was given to TVS guys to repair by TASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
I faced the same problem with my Safari as well.My steering was too vague even after changing the idler arm bush a couple of times.So went in for a steering overhaul (the PS unit itself,ZF make) during my 1,20,000 kms servicing.Cost me ~ 7K in total. As expected TASCs do not repair steering systems themselves,but are sent to the vendor (ZF in this case).Got the work done in a couple of days.Since then,the vagueness is gone for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
It is better that it goes to the OEM manufacturer, that way you will be sure that its overhauled properly.
Mohandas Motors said it would cost me 43k to fix some steering issue I have ( when I gave it for 90k service,now its 98k on odo). They were trying to cheat but i caught them.
Old 27th March 2012, 12:19   #4256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Mohandas Motors said it would cost me 43k to fix some steering issue I have ( when I gave it for 90k service,now its 98k on odo). They were trying to cheat but i caught them.
Mohandas Motors is a T.A.S.S, not OEM.

ZF is the OEM here and thats what is suggested, give it to the OEM (where possible) for repairs.
Old 27th March 2012, 17:36   #4257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Mohandas Motors is a T.A.S.S, not OEM.

ZF is the OEM here and thats what is suggested, give it to the OEM (where possible) for repairs.
Yah. I was saying that they quoted 43k for steering work and the guys at Salem, TN took my alternator to TVS for work.
Old 31st March 2012, 21:57   #4258
BHPian

After the alternator work,I got the car serviced at local garage, changed oil to Shell Helix HX6, changed air filter to Bosch air filter and changed diesel filter.

But now I have a new problem. The car sometimes takes more 'cranks' to start. They had some problem in priming after they changed the diesel filter. Took it to a TASS and they could not diagnose anything. They tightened the primer, and now the problem is really intermittent. My car always starts at half crank, but now sometimes it takes 2-3 'cranks' to start.

What could be the problem?
Old 31st March 2012, 23:17   #4259
BHPian

Quote:
After the alternator work,I got the car serviced at local garage, changed oil to Shell Helix HX6, changed air filter to Bosch air filter and changed diesel filter.

But now I have a new problem. The car sometimes takes more 'cranks' to start. They had some problem in priming after they changed the diesel filter. Took it to a TASS and they could not diagnose anything. They tightened the primer, and now the problem is really intermittent. My car always starts at half crank, but now sometimes it takes 2-3 'cranks' to start.

What could be the problem?

Suman in the Filter assembly there are a couple of valves and springs under the hand primer and just before the pipe which takes the diesel from the filters to the FIP. You have to replace the valves and the springs periodically. If you are facing the airlock problem or if the Hand Primer is not tight enough then you surely need to repalce the valves and the springs and this should solve your problem.

This is a common problem once the fuel lines are opened to change the filters etc.

Regards

Samir
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 05:59   #4260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
Suman in the Filter assembly there are a couple of valves and springs under the hand primer and just before the pipe which takes the diesel from the filters to the FIP. You have to replace the valves and the springs periodically. If you are facing the airlock problem or if the Hand Primer is not tight enough then you surely need to repalce the valves and the springs and this should solve your problem.

This is a common problem once the fuel lines are opened to change the filters etc.

Regards

Samir
Samir, Thank you very much for your reply. This has been a nightmare for the past week or so.

Could you please also help me out with the approximate cost and parts availability. All I do not want is TASS charging for entire assembly when I could potentially replace just the valves and springs. Also, if possible, let me know if it is available outside and what is it called. Thanks a lot again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks