Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 14:36   #4231
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Leakage was there. My driver had taken the Safari to the workshop. Just now he has returned and everything is fine. The problem as he is telling me was that the steering rod was touching the brake pipe. And due to use of steering, steering rod was rubbing against the pipe. Due to this the pipe at that point got ruptured and so leakage started. Now they have adjusted the distance between them and Safari is perfectly fine.
Old 20th March 2012, 15:21   #4232
BHPian

Hi All,

I have a minor problem with my trucks windshield. There are minor scratches which can be noticed during night drives (not visible during day times). When there is light from the opposite vehicles, these scratches distracts the view and it is very uncomfortable for me.

Please let me know is there any remedy / fix for these minor scratch removals. (No deep scratches).

If yes, let me know the remedy or DIY.
If no, thinking of claiming the insurance. In this regard, I wanted to know is it covered 100% under the insurance ?
Old 20th March 2012, 15:49   #4233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Leakage was there. My driver had taken the Safari to the workshop. Just now he has returned and everything is fine. The problem as he is telling me was that the steering rod was touching the brake pipe. And due to use of steering, steering rod was rubbing against the pipe. Due to this the pipe at that point got ruptured and so leakage started. Now they have adjusted the distance between them and Safari is perfectly fine.
Rare case! Lucky that it wasnt a serious thing and you found the issue fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shams_4x4 View Post
Hi All,

I have a minor problem with my trucks windshield. There are minor scratches which can be noticed during night drives (not visible during day times). When there is light from the opposite vehicles, these scratches distracts the view and it is very uncomfortable for me.

Please let me know is there any remedy / fix for these minor scratch removals. (No deep scratches).

If no, thinking of claiming the insurance. In this regard, I wanted to know is it covered 100% under the insurance ?
Try the Windshield Repair, Auto Glass and Auto Safety Glass Replacement Services Center India. My friend has contacted them for similar issue and they said then can fix it.
Old 20th March 2012, 16:14   #4234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

If these are something like swirl marks or scratches made by the wiper blades, then it may be possible to remove. Try sparkle car spa in forum mall.
Old 20th March 2012, 16:29   #4235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
If these are something like swirl marks or scratches made by the wiper blades, then it may be possible to remove. Try sparkle car spa in forum mall.
These are minor scratches caused by dirt particles. A sort of swirl marks. But majority of them were created when I tried to eliminate the hard water marks on the windshield. Anyways today I am going to the Windshield experts suggested by jkDas. Will post the update later.

Quote:
These are minor scratches caused by dirt particles. A sort of swirl marks. But majority of them were created when I tried to eliminate the hard water marks on the windshield. Anyways today I am going to the Windshield experts suggested by jkDas. Will post the update later.

I had been to Windshield Experts located on Bull Temple Road, Basavanagudi, Bangalore. They suggested to replace the glass rather than going in for buffing. The guy told me to claim the insurance and the rough estimate was close to 2000 Rs. He asked me to bring the vehicle tomorrow and promised to deliver my truck by 2 PM tomorrow.

Now I am confused whether to claim insurance or not. If I claim, I will lose the NCB for the next year. But if i do not claim, the actual value is somewhere close to 8000 Rs.

I am waiting for your valuable suggestions regarding this.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th March 2012 at 23:50. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. :)
Old 20th March 2012, 18:52   #4236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had been to Windshield Experts located on Bull Temple Road, Basavanagudi, Bangalore. They suggested to replace the glass rather than going in for buffing. The guy told me to claim the insurance and the rough estimate was close to 2000 Rs. He asked me to bring the vehicle tomorrow and promised to deliver my truck by 2 PM tomorrow.

Now I am confused whether to claim insurance or not. If I claim, I will lose the NCB for the next year. But if i do not claim, the actual value is somewhere close to 8000 Rs.

The glass buffing that Sparkle does is around 1000/- for the safari. You may want to try this, and if it does not work, then claim insurance and replace glass.
Old 20th March 2012, 20:11   #4237
BHPian

Quote:
The glass buffing that Sparkle does is around 1000/- for the safari. You may want to try this, and if it does not work, then claim insurance and replace glass.
Won't buffing the glass skew your vision ?
Old 20th March 2012, 21:27   #4238
BHPian

Quote:

Not worth to claim insurance for this. Dont see loosing only 1yr NCB since it has a compounded effect. Also once you claim the insurance, the next year premium is higher than normal. Hence, the next premium is not only loosing NCB but an additional charge + loosing future NCB (a part of it)

Go to a local dealer/ supplier of Automotive glass - not like Windshield Experts but the direct suppliers of automotive glass. They also give equivalent warranty. Justdial should be able to help you with that. The windshields are much cheaper outside than TASS. to give you an example - Chevy Optra Windshield replacement at Showroom costs about Rs 9000 and outside its Rs 6000 for original and mere Rs 3000 for a FJ brand windshield

FJ are very good and I have personal experience with it. a FJ Windshield for Safar should be about Rs 4000 at max including fixing

Rajeev

Last edited by rajismine : 20th March 2012 at 21:30.
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 08:14   #4239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram

Won't buffing the glass skew your vision ?
Have tried it on my safari and have not experienced any change of vision or clarity, it depends mostly on the extent of the scratches and the skill of the workmen.
Old 21st March 2012, 09:23   #4240
BHPian

Quote:
Have tried it on my safari and have not experienced any change of vision or clarity, it depends mostly on the extent of the scratches and the skill of the workmen.
But did the buffing remove the wiper marks /scratches ,and did the night vision improve?
wanted to do this on my skoda but due to lack of feedback from people who have done it did not go ahead.
Old 21st March 2012, 19:14   #4241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Go to a local dealer/ supplier of Automotive glass - not like Windshield Experts but the direct suppliers of automotive glass. They also give equivalent warranty. Justdial should be able to help you with that. The windshields are much cheaper outside than TASS. to give you an example - Chevy Optra Windshield replacement at Showroom costs about Rs 9000 and outside its Rs 6000 for original and mere Rs 3000 for a FJ brand windshield

FJ are very good and I have personal experience with it. a FJ Windshield for Safar should be about Rs 4000 at max including fixing

Rajeev
Rajeev,
Today, I had been to Sparkle car spa at Forum. But the guy did not give 100% guarantee of removal of all the scratches. Hence did not take chance there.
Went to J.C Road, enquired couple of vendors.
One windshield (had a TATA logo on that glass) was costing me Rs 3300 + Rs 1000 fitting charges. But some person told that these glasses are local one with the TATA logo.
Hence enquired with other vendor. He also told me the same story and suggested me to go with Pilkington glass which is antiglare which cost me Rs 5000 (Including fitting).

He did not change the beading. Instead he fit the glass with the same old beading. Fitting is fine and it was done along with my supervision.

Is this brand (Pilkington) for the windshield fine ?
Old 21st March 2012, 22:05   #4242
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Great Shams,

see you saved some good buck here along with your NCB. I think pilkington should be good. All you need to have a look at is if the glass is uniform throughout

Rajeev

Last edited by GTO : 23rd March 2012 at 13:41. Reason: Do NOT use SMS Language on this forum
Old 22nd March 2012, 08:48   #4243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat
But did the buffing remove the wiper marks /scratches ,and did the night vision improve?
wanted to do this on my skoda but due to lack of feedback from people who have done it did not go ahead.
In my case the service center used the zero sand paper or something similar to clean paint spray which left some fine scratches and I had some wiper swirl marks, which went off. I have a clean windshield without any major vision impairment. Compared to earlier the visibility is much better.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:04   #4244
BHPian

The car was getting heated more than normal. Took it to a TASS and they are checking the thermostat valve. Total damage max. is Rs. 650 for parts.

They also discovered a faulty alternator. There was erratic current from the alternator, i.e., all of a sudden the AC speed would increase, and it gave up at the workshop. They are charging Rs. 4k for rectifier + Rs. 3k for bearing and bush + 20% for handling. Let me know know if that is higher than it should be. Expected delivery is on Saturday.
Old 24th March 2012, 09:14   #4245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
The car was getting heated more than normal. Took it to a TASS and they are checking the thermostat valve. Total damage max. is Rs. 650 for parts.

They also discovered a faulty alternator. There was erratic current from the alternator, i.e., all of a sudden the AC speed would increase, and it gave up at the workshop. They are charging Rs. 4k for rectifier + Rs. 3k for bearing and bush + 20% for handling. Let me know know if that is higher than it should be. Expected delivery is on Saturday.
You are paying almost 10k for the alternator. What will be the warranty after they repair it.

Can you also check what the cost of a new one, if you are paying more than 40-45% for repairing the old one, think about buying the new one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks