Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 18:05   #4216
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
What made you do this? I mean, what was the need? Is there a checklist for one to do this?
In my case it as heaving knocking of engine followed by thick black smoke, the culprits were injectors. Anyway it was an fire accident due to which I had to service the otherwise fine injectors @65K kms only.
Old 13th March 2012, 20:27   #4217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
While I understand that this might be a common issue however why on earth should it not be fixed?

I'm going to ask these guys when I go there next.
It does sound odd, but it is the sound of the power steering fluid, AFAIK, there is no fix with the ASCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivar View Post
for the past 6000 kms or so, i face a peculiar problem. Sometimes the engine stalls.
1. sometimes (around 15% of times) during the first drive of the day. The temperature needle is at zero. the engine stalls and low speeds - like when crossing a speedbreaker.
2. sometime during any time of the day, temperature needle at midway. happenes at low speeds.
3. the idling sound changes to a shighlt sharper note.
4. revving up just before the engine stalls resolves the problem temporarily
5. the problem goes away after driving 15-20 kms.

ps: may be related, once the engine totally stalled and wouldn't come to life. Seems air got trapped in one of the pipes.

Bolivar
Get the fuel lines/pump checked. Can be some problem with the injectors due to some adulterated fuel. Air filter might be clogged?

Try revving the engine at high RPM when it is warm.

Experts?
Old 13th March 2012, 20:55   #4218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivar View Post
HI Everyone,
my Safari Dicor 2.2L, bought in MArch 2010 has run 33000 kms. All services done in time.
for the past 6000 kms or so, i face a peculiar problem. Sometimes the engine stalls. i have not been able to identify a sure pattern, so i am listing the conditions when it happened. i have shown it to TASS at Prerna motors and Concorde motors, in bangalore, but they are as clueless as i.
1. sometimes (around 15% of times) during the first drive of the day. The temperature needle is at zero. the engine stalls and low speeds - like when crossing a speedbreaker.
2. sometime during any time of the day, temperature needle at midway. happenes at low speeds.
3. the idling sound changes to a shighlt sharper note.
4. revving up just before the engine stalls resolves the problem temporarily
5. the problem goes away after driving 15-20 kms.

ps: may be related, once the engine totally stalled and wouldn't come to life. Seems air got trapped in one of the pipes.

Bolivar

Theres a possiblity of air trap in the fuel lines. Have the fuel lines, Diesel filter and water saperator checked. Pay attention especially to the water saperator as this is not changed as frequently as the Diesel filter.

If the problem is not rectified then it may come down to Injectors as you might have had a dose of adulterated fuel somewhere. Due to this the injectors are not opening up at low pressures ( Low RPM ).

Please advise the TASS to hook up the Diamond diagnostic kit to your vehicle which is provided by Delphi-TVS to check the condition of the FIP & injectors. Though it may not show the opening of injectors at low RPMs which has to be checked on a testbench. But you will know the condition of the FIP.

Keep us updated on this.
Old 16th March 2012, 17:27   #4219
BHPian

Safari Experts, Need advice. My car is Nov 2010 has done 48000 km. Recently i was going through the owners manual and noticed that gear box oil needs to be changed at 45000 km. Went back to the service bill and found that it was not done with the 45000 km service. Called up T.A.S.S guy and he confirmed that it was a mistake and asked me to get the car anytime so that he will do it in front of me. Again when i looked further in owners manual, i found that rear axle requires oil change at first 15000 km, but that also found not done during service. Note: All services were done at the correct intervals in T.A.S.S
My question is will this cause any long terms effects on the components? I have an extended warranty but what are the chances of failures outside warranty periods?
Old 16th March 2012, 19:00   #4220
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Safari Experts, Need advice. My car is Nov 2010 has done 48000 km. Recently i was going through the owners manual and noticed that gear box oil needs to be changed at 45000 km. Went back to the service bill and found that it was not done with the 45000 km service. Called up T.A.S.S guy and he confirmed that it was a mistake and asked me to get the car anytime so that he will do it in front of me. Again when i looked further in owners manual, i found that rear axle requires oil change at first 15000 km, but that also found not done during service. Note: All services were done at the correct intervals in T.A.S.S
My question is will this cause any long terms effects on the components? I have an extended warranty but what are the chances of failures outside warranty periods?
Yes, Gear Box Oil and Differential oil need change at 45k kms. IMO there should not be any long term effect due to this. As for EW it is always safer to endorse the same on the bill referring lapse by A.S.S.
Old 17th March 2012, 10:57   #4221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Some extra wear & tear since 15k to 48k is 3 times run of the scheduled change but nothing that will drastically damage the components.

Apart from the above, if they check your service jobs during an EW claim, a reason for denying it.

Always check the manual before you goto the service centre and get the scheduled jobs written in the job card, just to be sure.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 12:46   #4222
BHPian

Hi guys

Need some expert advice.
I have aDec 2010 Safari GX 4X2. It has been a niggle free vehicle till now having clocked 14k. a couple of weeks back, I have been hearing distinct squeeking and screeching sound from engine compartment during first start of the day or start after prolonged time(>3-4 hours). This sound goes off within 10-15 min of driving and never heard again till next day morning start.

i showed it to TASS who told me that its a belt prob(LOOSE BELT). They tightened it using tension meter. however next day also the same thing thing is happening. The prob is when I reach the TASS, I can't replicate the sound as the vehicle is warmed up..

Any idea whats the prob???

Thanks

Last edited by sheelz : 17th March 2012 at 12:47.
Old 17th March 2012, 15:38   #4223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
Hi guys

Need some expert advice.
I have aDec 2010 Safari GX 4X2. It has been a niggle free vehicle till now having clocked 14k. a couple of weeks back, I have been hearing distinct squeeking and screeching sound from engine compartment during first start of the day or start after prolonged time(>3-4 hours). This sound goes off within 10-15 min of driving and never heard again till next day morning start.

i showed it to TASS who told me that its a belt prob(LOOSE BELT). They tightened it using tension meter. however next day also the same thing thing is happening. The prob is when I reach the TASS, I can't replicate the sound as the vehicle is warmed up..

Thanks
This should be a belt noise only. I too had the same problem and the T.A.S.S did some rubbing on the pulleys and fitted the belt back and its gone. If you cannot replicate the problem at their shop, call them to your home and do a morning first start infront of them. Seems to be very common issue and they should be able to give you a fix instantly.
Old 17th March 2012, 17:52   #4224
BHPian

Quote:
however next day also the same thing thing is happening. The prob is when I reach the TASS, I can't replicate the sound as the vehicle is warmed up..

Thanks
Can happen due to water or moisture accumulating on the belt. Doubt that something has happened to the bearing since the car is new.
Old 17th March 2012, 18:55   #4225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks
If TASS is near your house, leave your vehicle with them late in the evening and go back early morning next day. Ask them not to start the vehicle till you come back. Since they have tightened the belts, it from somewhere else and this is the only way to find out.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 07:55   #4226
BHPian

My Safari is 3 months old. Yesterday while coming back the brakes were not working properly. The brakepedal had also become loose. On inspecting found that brake oil was less. There is no sign of leakage so what could be the reason for the drop in the level of brake oil. After this I filled the brake oil and problem seems to have been solved but why the brake oil decreased so fast?
Old 19th March 2012, 09:09   #4227
BHPian

Looking for a set of new stock alloys for the truck. Damaged both my left side alloys (slight bend on the periphery, but no air leakage) and tires on the Desert Storm this time. Got blindspotted by a vehicle in front, and suddenly had a 1 foot pointed stone in front. Braked, steered, but the left front and rear went over it (at arond 50-55 kmph). Result: both tires blew, and the alloys bent.
What do you suggest, try alloy repair, or go for new alloys? Also would be visiting the workshop for a complete suspension check.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:19   #4228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
My Safari is 3 months old. Yesterday while coming back the brakes were not working properly. The brakepedal had also become loose. On inspecting found that brake oil was less. There is no sign of leakage so what could be the reason for the drop in the level of brake oil. After this I filled the brake oil and problem seems to have been solved but why the brake oil decreased so fast?
I have seen this happening sometimes in my vehicles and it then did not repeat. So if it does not again occur soon, this might not be worth fretting over.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 14:27   #4229
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys

Need some expert advice.

Thanks
I had this problem in my truck for sometime. Gave to workshop and they said sir it should be fine. Gave it many times. Then finally I said if it happens again am complaining to the top, and then it got magically fixed. My feeling is that noise comes from some inner belt (timing?). As there are many belts they may be just tightening the easiest and hoping all should be well,.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:58   #4230
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys

Need some expert advice.

Thanks
This is a common problem in TATA vehicles and I have had the same problem in my Indigo. As per the mechanics that I got in touch with both in TASS and TASCs, the problem is with the fan belt. The grooves in the belt are rather large because of which, dirt particles, small grains of sand etc get stuck. As the car is started after prolonged rest, these particles grind against the pulley wheel leading to the screeching sound. Once the dirt particles have been totally ground off, the noise disappears.

To ensure that this problem does not reappear, have the fan belt removed, thoroughly cleaned and re-mounted. I do this at every service and this practice has helped me in getting rid of the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
It is possible that the leak is from a place that is difficult to sight, or, the leak might be very minor thereby making it hard to catch. In both cases, you will find an unexplained loss of brake fluid. The bottom line is that the brake fluid is unlikely to evaporate, it HAS to be LEAKING out. Have a thorough check done on your car as brakes are critical to safe driving.
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks