Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 19:05   #4201
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Have a problem. I made trip to Wayanad from Vellore about ten days back . It was a round trip of about 1200 kms. While driving to Wayanad, after Nagarhole, some where near Mannanthavady, I was cruising at around 60-70kmph. Suddenly I hear a loud bang and the left front wheel jumps over something.
I stopped immediately. Had a look. It was a fairly big stone that some moron had left on the road and the left front wheel had gone over it at fairly reasonable speeds. No outward damage so I carry on.
Soon, I know something is wrong. There car while going through the curves has absolutely no problem at all. While travelling in a straight line, above 60kmph, the steering wheel and the rest of the car starts vibrating.
I drove my car to the resort, thankfully it was Jungle View Resort in Tirunelly. I asked the man friday there, Mr. Bhaiju if he can arrange for someone to look at my car.
It being a Sunday, the next day another man from the resort took my car down to Mannanthavady( a nearby town) and made a mechanic have a look at it.
They diagnosed that it was a bent wheel rim and changed the left front wheel tire with the spare, wheel alignment done, everything fine.
I drove the car through the winding Wayanad roads, everything seemed fine.
The next day, while going back, I decided to drive through Kabini. And 16kms of the worst road on the planet. So bad, that it was done in 2nd car and the car not crossing 20kmph at any point.
After I hit the highway, I noticed that the car was pulling left. I drove all the way back, give my car in for service the next day. I told them the wheel rim was bent, the car was pulling to the left and to do the needful.
Approximate estimate given to me was Rs 4000. Including the wheel rim change.
3 days later, I called the service engineer. He said it looks like the suspension arms have taken a knock and hence it is taking more time.
I said ok.
Today, I get a call saying car is ready, bill is Rs 12,000.
I got a major heart attack with a persistent heartache.
1) They did not tell me that it would cost so much. Can I do anything about it? Most of their work was done elsewhere at some local shop, no major parts were changed, it was some welding and bending. I don't have the exact details as I will get the car only tomorrow.
2) After they have done the repairs, can I still claim insurance?
3) I have already claimed insurance, in the month of december last year, when a moron came and hit my car from the side. I claimed around Rs 36,000. Details here-http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/102312-how-bring-home-dream-tata-safari-lx-bs4-4.html
4) If I do claim insurance, what will it do to my insurance premium this year?
Thanks in advance for all your inputs.
Old 9th March 2012, 22:00   #4202
Senior - BHPian

You should have told them to check with you before making any changes but that phase is gone.

You can ask them to tell you in details the jobs they did costing 12k.

If your Safari is under warranty, they could have replaced parts F.O.C and under extended warranty, with Insurance but now you cant claim insurance of any kind since the work is already done. Insurance requires a surveyor to approve the job before its repaired.
Old 9th March 2012, 22:43   #4203
BHPian

I did ask them to tell me before doing any major repairs. My Safari is not even an year old and still has warranty.
Old 10th March 2012, 07:24   #4204
Senior - BHPian

Got the delivery of my Tata safari 2012 yesterday and drove it for about 15 kms from Showroom to home and here are few initial niggles that i observed and need help on -

1) Steering making funny noises while turning it left and right on the parked vehicle

2) Sound of oil/liquid flowing from one side to other while steering the moving vehicle

3) Struggled to get my seat belt buckle in and out

4) Noise of some spring like object from the clutch

Not sure if these come with the cult value but surely looking forward for solutions/get them fixed during the first service
Old 10th March 2012, 09:18   #4205
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Harish, Congrats.
Take it easy man. Don't use such a big magnifier to dissect .
Enjoy the ride. Drive safe.

IMO all the below issues are just normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Got the delivery of my Tata safari 2012 yesterday and drove it for about 15 kms from Showroom to home and here are few initial niggles that i observed and need help on -

1) Steering making funny noises while turning it left and right on the parked vehicle

2) Sound of oil/liquid flowing from one side to other while steering the moving vehicle

Not sure if these come with the cult value but surely looking forward for solutions/get them fixed during the first service
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 22:31   #4206
BHPian

I went to get my car today, mentally prepared to bring hell down on earth if required.
The main chunk of the 12,000 was Rs 6500 for some lathe work which they had done elsewhere. Told them to go to hell. Luckily at some point in the past, I had received a spares price list for all TATA cars. I showed it to them and told them that I can have the entire suspension replaced for that cost. I told them that I am not paying and I will be making a call to Customer care in Chennai. Otherwise show me the bill for the work done elsewhere.
Luckily they realised the folly of their ways and reduced the bill by about Rs 4000.
The other thing they had done was charge me labour for other work I asked them to do like tighten the rattling doors. All the while, I was feeling this incredible itch between the index finger and the ring finger of my right hand.
Had to suppress it and say politely, sorry boss, you can't charge me labour for the vehicle is still under warranty for running repairs.
I did raise the point about not being informed about costs. The customer relations officer gave me some crap about ten percent of the bill being written off if that happens.

All said and done, the car is back.
Old 12th March 2012, 14:45   #4207
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats! Don't worry, first and third are common across all vehicles and not a concern as such.

Where is the sound of liquid coming from, the dash side or the tail end, etc?

Point 4: get the clutch lever oiled/greased. This will go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
The other thing they had done was charge me labour for other work I asked them to do like tighten the rattling doors. All the while, I was feeling this incredible itch between the index finger and the ring finger of my right hand.
Had to suppress it and say politely, sorry boss, you can't charge me labour for the vehicle is still under warranty for running repairs.
I did raise the point about not being informed about costs. The customer relations officer gave me some crap about ten percent of the bill being written off if that happens.

Did you buy an AMC? If yes, then it should cover the running repair costs as well.

Last edited by somubj : 12th March 2012 at 14:46. Reason: incorrect reference
Old 12th March 2012, 18:55   #4208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
Congrats! Don't worry, first and third are common across all vehicles and not a concern as such.

Where is the sound of liquid coming from, the dash side or the tail end, etc?

Point 4: get the clutch lever oiled/greased. This will go away.

Did you buy an AMC? If yes, then it should cover the running repair costs as well.
Sounds good Thanks.

Where is the sound of liquid coming from, the dash side or the tail end, etc? - From the Steering column itself.

Point 4: get the clutch lever oiled/greased. This will go away. - Thanks for this tip. I have to go to collect some documents from the showroom during the week so would ask them to do the needful or worst case scenario during the 1st service.

2 more issues identified on 2nd day

1) Fuel lid has a mind of it's own and opens itself and also struggled to close it. I'm sure its a small issue and can be easily fixed but still

2) Rear door did not open.. neither from outside nor from inside however while driving the open door alarm goes red and when i stopped to check the rear door opened on its own ( happened 2-3 times ) - Is this common?
Old 12th March 2012, 19:33   #4209
BHPian

Quote:
From the Steering column itself.
2 more issues identified on 2nd day

1) Fuel lid has a mind of it's own and opens itself and also struggled to close it. I'm sure its a small issue and can be easily fixed but still

2) Rear door did not open.. neither from outside nor from inside however while driving the open door alarm goes red and when i stopped to check the rear door opened on its own ( happened 2-3 times ) - Is this common?
I believe that you re referring to the hissing sound from the steering when turned to extreme right or left, which is ok. But if something else, then get it checked, haven't heard of anyone else hearing any other sound.

Get the switch checked/fuse etc. Experts, any other recommendations?

Rear door alignment is not done properly and is not locking. Ask the guys to fix it.
Old 12th March 2012, 20:20   #4210
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Harish, enjoy the ride. meanwhile i got my truck couple of weeks back, have done 700kms so far...

on the niggles just take her to the *** and ask the the mech to take a look, most of it seems to b simple once. dont worry and enjoy the drive

Quote:
Old 12th March 2012, 20:56   #4211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Anyone tried to get Injectors / FIP service done outside of TASS ? at DelphiTVS service dealers ?
Yes, I did it for my 3L Safari and cleaning/servicing/repairing (one of the injector was stuck close) of all of them costed me 11,500 INR. This was reasonable considering that the single injector itself costs 11,000 INR.
Old 13th March 2012, 08:59   #4212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
I went to get my car today, mentally prepared to bring hell down on earth if required.
The main chunk of the 12,000 was Rs 6500 for some lathe work which they

Luckily they realised the folly of their ways and reduced the bill by about Rs 4000.
Holy! what do they think when they fake a bill? Someone is seriously wrong with most TASS. I am wondering if they dont make enough $ selling SUVs/Cars etc and hence they need to make $ from a.s.s. !

Unbelievable ! Please raise a customer complaint and take your Safari somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Yes, I did it for my 3L Safari and cleaning/servicing/repairing (one of the injector was stuck close) of all of them costed me 11,500 INR. This was reasonable considering that the single injector itself costs 11,000 INR.
What made you do this? I mean, what was the need? Is there a checklist for one to do this?
Old 13th March 2012, 15:13   #4213
Senior - BHPian

Checked my truck and even am getting some sound while i move the steering right or left when parked.

Quote:

Old 13th March 2012, 16:40   #4214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Checked my truck and even am getting some sound while i move the steering right or left when parked.
While I understand that this might be a common issue however why on earth should it not be fixed? Doesn't it sound odd when you're negotiating a small turning circle and ned to use this driving style more often than never.

I'm going to ask these guys when I go there next.
Old 13th March 2012, 17:23   #4215

HI Everyone,
my Safari Dicor 2.2L, bought in MArch 2010 has run 33000 kms. All services done in time.
for the past 6000 kms or so, i face a peculiar problem. Sometimes the engine stalls. i have not been able to identify a sure pattern, so i am listing the conditions when it happened. i have shown it to TASS at Prerna motors and Concorde motors, in bangalore, but they are as clueless as i.
1. sometimes (around 15% of times) during the first drive of the day. The temperature needle is at zero. the engine stalls and low speeds - like when crossing a speedbreaker.
2. sometime during any time of the day, temperature needle at midway. happenes at low speeds.
3. the idling sound changes to a shighlt sharper note.
4. revving up just before the engine stalls resolves the problem temporarily
5. the problem goes away after driving 15-20 kms.

ps: may be related, once the engine totally stalled and wouldn't come to life. Seems air got trapped in one of the pipes.

Bolivar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks