Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 14:50   #4171
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Even I have similar problem with my second slave monitor. I have one master monitor which has DVD Player, SD Card, USB interface. It has one output which goes to slave monitor. Slave monitor gets horizontal lines.
Pardon my ignorrance , are you using the headrest monitor DVD player to play DVD's instead of playing using the DVD HU ?

All of it has to do with engine noise (alternator currents ) your lines(cables) are catching up . The first thing to check would be cables through which the signals are running . Go for better quality RC's ( less prone to pickup noise )

Do you hear any noise from speakers when you accelerate , while @ neutral ??

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 1st March 2012 at 14:51.
Old 1st March 2012, 16:36   #4172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Pardon my ignorrance , are you using the headrest monitor DVD player to play DVD's instead of playing using the DVD HU ?

All of it has to do with engine noise (alternator currents ) your lines(cables) are catching up . The first thing to check would be cables through which the signals are running . Go for better quality RC's ( less prone to pickup noise )

Do you hear any noise from speakers when you accelerate , while @ neutral ??
No. My headrest Montors are just Monitors and there is no DVD players on that. I play the movie from the DVD HU (which has replaced the OEM Alpine System).

I dont think I hear any noise when I accelerate. Anyways, I will check and let you know.
Old 1st March 2012, 16:38   #4173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Yes correct. Please see this product on website I have given in previous post. This was shipped from US and one of best headrest screens available with DVD, USB, SD Card as per reviews.

One thing I have not checked is direct playing videos in slave monitor through some player.

The main intention for going for such setup is my son can enjoy movies at back with headphones and I can continue listening songs from HU.
But when I'm in mood to listen dialogs, I route audio out of headrest to HU through aux-in and listen in car speakers.
Old 1st March 2012, 16:42   #4174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
One inquiry: How do you fit 7 inch screen in dashboard? Any pictures for this? What is the best way to install 7 inch screen in dashboard in Safari?

I'm now more inclined towards Car-PC and this project will start soon for my Safari.
The only way you can fit 7" screen in dashboard for a Safari is by using a single din in-dash DVD players which automatically ejects the 7"screen out when you switch on the system and the monitor closes inside the single din once the system is shut off. But the cost will range starting from 25K depending on the brand.

I have pasted this link below just to show you one example of this.

Fahrenheit TID-893B In Dash Source Unit DVD Player Single DIN with 7 - Inch Tou | eBay
Old 1st March 2012, 19:21   #4175
BHPian

Folks, I looked around on this thread but couldn't find anything matcing the exact issue I'm facing. Would be much obliged if I'm directed to the appropriate page in case it has been answered.

There is significant engine noise (kind of like an engine boom) between 1500-2000 RPM in the fouth and fifth gear. It's tolerable in 4th, but really bad for fifth, and is quite a nuisance if I am trying to accelerate in this RPM range. So taking the vehicle from 80 to 100 in the 5th is not a very pleasant experience, and I have to do so very gradually. Things are back to normal once it crosses around 2200 RPM.

What might be the possible cause? The vehicle has run 2500 KM till date, and I'm afraid the run in was not done properly as it was in the hands of drivers for quite a while during that period. Any suggestions as to what can be done about this?
Old 1st March 2012, 20:57   #4176
BHPian

The fifth gear in the Safari is out of sync with the rest of the gears. Reason is when you shift from fourth to fifth at 2000 rpm, the revs fall below the turbo range. My solution for this when I drive my Safari is to shift at 2000 rpm for all gears except 5th. For shifting from 4th to 5th, I usually do it at 2500 rpm.

This way the car stays within the turbo range and avoids the boom like thing which you mentioned.

In 4th gear and 2500 rpm, my car is at around 80kmph. If I shift at 2000rpm from 4th to 5th, the car is at 70 kmph and takes ages to climb the speed charts.

Hope this solves your problem.
simpleman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:57   #4177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
... There is significant engine noise (kind of like an engine boom) between 1500-2000 RPM in the fouth and fifth gear ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
The fifth gear in the Safari is out of sync with the rest of the gears. ...
That is not engine noise, it is the whole body that is resonating at that speed / engine RPM. I used to get it usually at 1200-1300RPM and 70Kmph. Below that and above that it is usually quite silent, so quickly accelerating past that point minimizes that - road conditions permitting.

The only solution is damping. For me the resonance reduced drastically when I damped the doors (front and rear with butyl based sheets, the 5th door with simple cotton waste stuffing) when I put in some ICE. Reduced drastically, not totally gone - that would need the firewall, ceiling and the floor pan to be damped, which I never got around to doing.

The ceiling and floor pan could be damped with the 3M foam damping. Of course the firewall and ceiling damping is non-trivial since the dashboard and ceiling lining has to be removed first. Floor pan can be damped from the underside after a good pressure wash.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 13:23   #4178
BHPian

Quote:
The fifth gear in the Safari is out of sync with the rest of the gears. Reason is when you shift from fourth to fifth at 2000 rpm, the revs fall below the turbo range. My solution for this when I drive my Safari is to shift at 2000 rpm for all gears except 5th. For shifting from 4th to 5th, I usually do it at 2500 rpm.

This way the car stays within the turbo range and avoids the boom like thing which you mentioned.

In 4th gear and 2500 rpm, my car is at around 80kmph. If I shift at 2000rpm from 4th to 5th, the car is at 70 kmph and takes ages to climb the speed charts.

Hope this solves your problem.
Agree with simpleman. 5th gear is not something you would use in city, 4th gear is pretty sufficient. I usually move to 5th when I reach 80 or 90kmph, and >2500rpm. That way you dont feel the lag.
Old 3rd March 2012, 09:53   #4179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fifth gear in the Safari is out of sync with the rest of the gears...
Fifth gear at 2100 RPM means 100-105 KMPH. It take straight road to maintain this RPM. I generally do not speed beyond 110 KMPH. It took little adjustment in driving style to get accustomed with fifth gear of Safari.

I spoke to Tata Motors and they informed retrofit of AC is not required for my Safari. Mine is 2010 - September model.

OT: I'm opting for front windscreen sunfilm for my upcoming drive to my hometown during summer season. It will atleast help to cool cabin inside. Yeah, it is appx 5000 Kms drive.
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:37   #4180
BHPian

Hello Friends

I have a small query, The LH side indicator bulb of safari is not working. This is causing the instrument cluster indicator sign (LH) to blink very fast. I tried replacing fuses and everything but there does not seem an individual switch for it. Do I have to replace the entire assembly or only the bulb can be replaced

Second question is that while I was troubleshooting by keeping the ignition switch on (only batt and acc on) i hear a "tak tak" sound coming from the Glow plug (blue color just behind the under the hood fuse box). It comes and goes on its own. Is this normal function

Regards
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:16   #4181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Hello Friends

I have a small query, The LH side indicator bulb of safari is not working. This is causing the instrument cluster indicator sign (LH) to blink very fast. I tried replacing fuses and everything but there does not seem an individual switch for it. Do I have to replace the entire assembly or only the bulb can be replaced

Second question is that while I was troubleshooting by keeping the ignition switch on (only batt and acc on) i hear a "tak tak" sound coming from the Glow plug (blue color just behind the under the hood fuse box). It comes and goes on its own. Is this normal function

Regards
You can replace bulb only. Its a DIY.
As for the sound, I never heard it. Lemme check and will let you know.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 16:32   #4182
BHPian

Safari experts, need an advice. I was planning to upgrade my headlight to 90/100. While looking at the headlamp to insert the new wiring with ceramic connectors, noticed that the safari head lamp wiring gets into the headlight through a separate opening and goes behind the reflector before connecting to the bulb. Now i am unable to remove the original wire with the connector on it as there is no space between headlamp body and the rear of the reflector. Also how do i insert the new wiring through the rubber grommet which seals the head light.
My electrician told me to give an opening in the dust cap which sits behind the lamp and i was not pretty satisfied with the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
After more than 3 years of ownership, and 75000kms, the problem of dust coming in cabin has stopped.
How was it solved?
I asked my service advisor to take a plastic sheet, attach some foam, and the stick it outside the recirculation vents.
So the "external air vent" is permanently closed now. No dust issues!
Just wanted to know whether closing external vent will compromise the air quality inside the cabin especially while doing long journeys? Have you faced any sort of physical discomfort while remaining in the car for a long time. I feel recirculating the internal air for a long time can have an effect on oxygen levels inside the car. Please advice. I too face the same issue of dust coming inside even after driving with 100% AC ON

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th March 2012 at 16:44.
Old 5th March 2012, 16:44   #4183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Just wanted to know whether closing external vent will compromise the air quality inside the cabin especially while doing long journeys? Have you faced any sort of physical discomfort while remaining in the car for a long time. I feel recirculating the internal air for a long time can have an effect on oxygen levels inside the car. Please advice. I too face the same issue of dust coming inside even after driving with 100% AC ON
Safari is not an airtight vehicle. So it does not matter much. As it is I never used to open the vent. I have driven long distances, and never felt any discomfort.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 17:29   #4184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Safari experts, need an advice. I was planning to upgrade my headlight to 90/100. While looking at the headlamp to insert the new wiring with ceramic connectors, noticed that the safari head lamp wiring gets into the headlight through a separate opening and goes behind the reflector before connecting to the bulb. Now i am unable to remove the original wire with the connector on it as there is no space between headlamp body and the rear of the reflector. Also how do i insert the new wiring through the rubber grommet which seals the head light.
My electrician told me to give an opening in the dust cap which sits behind the lamp and i was not pretty satisfied with the idea.
Thats how I have done. Been using so for last 4 years.
Old 5th March 2012, 17:49   #4185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thats how I have done. Been using so for last 4 years.
Thanks JK, hope no dust goes in and makes it look dull. Reason why i was reluctant was that we have a 4 year old xylo and the same thing was done. It looks now very dull with lot of dust inside and slight blackish also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks