Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 18:21   #4156
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Dear Safari Gurus,
Need advice on engine missing happening around 1500 RPM. Mine is a 2010 model BS4 safari and had this problem from Day 1. Now crossed 46K and still exists. Prerana motors in Bangalore did all trial and error troubleshooting including ECU and turbo charger replacement.
Have seen some posts with the same issues but no where i could find any solutions. Sorry if its because of my oversight.
Thanks in advance
Old 29th February 2012, 12:19   #4157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Dear Safari Gurus,
Need advice on engine missing happening around 1500 RPM. Mine is a 2010 model BS4 safari and had this problem from Day 1. Now crossed 46K and still exists. Prerana motors in Bangalore did all trial and error troubleshooting including ECU and turbo charger replacement.
Have seen some posts with the same issues but no where i could find any solutions. Sorry if its because of my oversight.
Thanks in advance

Ameaa,
As far as I know, According to TASC service advisors, this is a feature in 2.2 VTTs rather than a problem . You have to live with it as you have done all these days upto 46K on the odo. Every one in this forum owning 2.2 VTTs are having this problem including me. The SA simply says that it is existing in all 2.2s whenever you raise an issue regarding this.

@Safari Gurus, If anybody has the solution for this problem, you will be worshiped by all Safari 2.2 owners.

Regards,
Shams
shams_4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 13:32   #4158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need advice on engine missing happening around 1500 RPM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shams_4x4 View Post
@Safari Gurus, If anybody has the solution for this problem, you will be worshiped by all Safari 2.2 owners.
The only reprieve of this problem is revving engine almost daily or once in two days for few seconds upto 4000 RPM when car is standstill and engine is hot. Ideal time would be when you are parking your car after drive then you can race your engine till 4K and stop it after idling for 30 seconds (For the sake of turbocharger).

It removes soot from exhaust and for a day or two you will not get this problem. This is recommended in manual also do not remember page number.

Even, I have this feature but I'm following this method religiously and occurrence is really low these days.

Check with this method and report here after some time.
anujmishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 13:44   #4159
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Safari Gurus,
Thanks in advance
This sort of 'missing' happens with engines when they are not revved hard upto 3500 and in dry atmosphere like that in Bangalore. It hardly happens in coastal regions like in Madras. But I notice this when I am in Bangalore and that too when I drive with a light foot. The engine never stalled in any case.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 13:50   #4160
BHPian

Quote:
Ameaa,
As far as I know, According to TASC service advisors, this is a feature in 2.2 VTTs rather than a problem . You have to live with it as you have done all these days upto 46K on the odo. Every one in this forum owning 2.2 VTTs are having this problem including me. The SA simply says that it is existing in all 2.2s whenever you raise an issue regarding this.

Regards,
Shams
Maybe I have just been fortunate but I have never faced this. Mine is a 2008 Aug model. Yes, I do redline pretty frequently as a part of my normal driving and maybe that helps keep things clean
Old 29th February 2012, 14:35   #4161
BHPian

Quote:
Ameaa,

Regards,
Shams
It seems lot of safari owners are facing this. Why don't we at least inform Tata about this. I got this mail id from FB. tata.safari@hotmail.com. I sent this issue to them and to my surprise they deputed the CRM and Works manager from Prerana to resolve this. We did half an hour test drive but unfortunately the problem didn't surface at that time.
Old 29th February 2012, 14:38   #4162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
This sort of 'missing' happens with engines when they are not revved hard upto 3500 and in dry atmosphere like that in Bangalore. It hardly happens in coastal regions like in Madras. But I notice this when I am in Bangalore and that too when I drive with a light foot. The engine never stalled in any case.
Thanks Prowler. You might be right about Bangalore. But i did face it while driving in cochin. My engine hardly revs above 3000.
Old 29th February 2012, 15:03   #4163
BHPian

Spoke to the well known TELCO folks(production line manager and head technicians and all ) regarding this problem , all they had to say " This is a known problem of 2.2 VTT DICOR , you have to live with it , its a problem with the ECU mapping appratently which results in blocking/clogging of the EGR valves @ very low RPM's (1500-1800). The air gets stuck and hence the jerks and puffs of smoke comes out ( analogy given was when a non smoker tries a cigarette ) . The only solution to this problem is revving the engine hard to 3000 + RPM once in a while , when the engine is HOT. The problem won't be negated but would be reduced for sure .

So RECLAIM your LIFE and LIVE with IT !!
jealousdiamond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 15:56   #4164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
- Whats the rpm i need to maintain in 4th gear? noticed that a weired sound, something like a tapped noise if i drive in 4th in 2k rpm, the same does not happen if the rpm is around 2400. 3rd gear is very happy at 2k, is this normal?

- Engaging reverse gear and first at times is hard
I was advised not to revv beyond 2000 RPM untill first service is done and i religiously followed that, but made sure that the car picks up enough speed while in 3rd gear and 2000 RPM before moving to 4th.

Problem with gears will go away after the first service and once you start clocking some Kms.
somubj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 16:09   #4165
Senior - BHPian

Am not sure if its recommended as you will never be able to go to 4th and thats what happened, dint push the vehicle beyond 2200 and ended up driving in 3rd gear only most of the times.

When i asked i was told not to worry, what does the "guru's" suggest here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
I was advised not to revv beyond 2000 RPM untill first service is done and i religiously followed that, but made sure that the car picks up enough speed while in 3rd gear and 2000 RPM before moving to 4th.

Problem with gears will go away after the first service and once you start clocking some Kms.
Old 29th February 2012, 16:43   #4166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Am not sure if its recommended as you will never be able to go to 4th and thats what happened, dint push the vehicle beyond 2200 and ended up driving in 3rd gear only most of the times.

When i asked i was told not to worry, what does the "guru's" suggest here?

Take a look at the Owner's manual at the relevant section here: When you cruise at around 100-110 km the engine reaches around 3000 rpm.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-safar.jpg  

Last edited by Prowler : 29th February 2012 at 16:44. Reason: Added
Old 29th February 2012, 18:00   #4167
Senior - BHPian

I think am maintaining the prescribed speed thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Take a look at the Owner's manual at the relevant section here: When you cruise at around 100-110 km the engine reaches around 3000 rpm.
Old 1st March 2012, 12:03   #4168
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I need your suggesstions / inputs with respect to electrical stuff for my truck.
Mine is an EX variant which does not come with DVD / headrest LCD monitors.
Recently a week back, I got the headrest Monitors installed. Earlier there was only one 7" LCD monitor fitted for reverse guiding with Camera.
When there was only one Monitor, The picture quality was absolutely fine and there were no horizontal lines on the screen. But after installing 2 more monitors (headrest monitors) I can clearly see these horizontal lines on all the three Monitors.
I checked this with the vendor (Throttle, Jayanagar, Bangalore), he told that this is common in Diesel vehicles like Safari and Scorpio.

I think the signal strength is weakened as it is distributed to three monitors.
Am thinking of installing Video Signal Amplifier for this.

I need your valued inputs here. Has anyone installed these aftermarket headrest monitors on the truck and facing the similar problems ? If so, what would be the solution ?
BTW my headunit is Pioneer DVH-P4390UB.

@ Mods, I am very sorry if I have posted this in the wrong thread. If it is not the right place / thread, I request you guys to move this to the right thread.

Regards,
Shams
Old 1st March 2012, 13:21   #4169
BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHPians,

told that this is common in Diesel vehicles like Safari and Scorpio.

Thats a crap of a statement ( no logic to that )

I think the signal strength is weakened as it is distributed to three monitors.
Am thinking of installing Video Signal Amplifier for this.

I need your valued inputs here. Has anyone installed these aftermarket headrest monitors on the truck and facing the similar problems ? If so, what would be the solution ?
BTW my headunit is Pioneer DVH-P4390UB.

@ Mods, I am very sorry if I have posted this in the wrong thread. If it is not the right place / thread, I request you guys to move this to the right thread.

Regards,
Shams
Shams I have two 9" headrests installed in my Safari without any signal amplifiers and it just works fine . As it sounds in your case the problem is with the interference from the alternator(probably) due to bad quality insulation on the connector cable .

Tell us , if the signal distortation increases on increasing RPM while the car is idle . If the answer is Yes , its a clear case of alternator noise being picked up by the wires . Go in for better quality cables (RC's) and get the installation done .

Also try disconnecting the 3rd monitor ( the 7" one in front ) .
Old 1st March 2012, 13:59   #4170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need your valued inputs here. Has anyone installed these aftermarket headrest monitors on the truck and facing the similar problems ?
Even I have similar problem with my second slave monitor. I have one master monitor which has DVD Player, SD Card, USB interface. It has one output which goes to slave monitor. Slave monitor gets horizontal lines.

The connectors and everything provided by Concept (US Headrest Monitors Maker). This is the website of product Mobile Electronics.

Until now, I also do not know the solution and it is working as it is. Only my son uses these monitors.

One inquiry: How do you fit 7 inch screen in dashboard? Any pictures for this? What is the best way to install 7 inch screen in dashboard in Safari?

I'm now more inclined towards Car-PC and this project will start soon for my Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks