Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:51   #4126
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
New problem cropped up.

Engine rpm in idle fluctuates between 500 and 900 rpm. Driving the car has no problems. This happens intermittently. During the 1st visit to Concorde, bad fuel was suspected. Was told to complete the tankful, fill at a COCO, and see if it happens again. They also adjusted something on the fuel pump.

Thereafter did not see the problem for 2 tankfuls, but has surfaced again.

Any pointers ?

thanks
Srini

The SA called to confirm that as per their investigation and confirmation by Delphi engineer, the problem is with the injectors.

However he states that there should be no problem in running other than a bit of knocking. He's not sure if the problem will go away with injector replacement..

So will be driving with the problem as is. fingers crossed.
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:41   #4127
Senior - BHPian

Folks, getting my truck tomorrow need few suggestions:

- Need to get the Autocop or Minda fixed, the other variants come with Minda i guess. is it suggested to get this at TASS, am worried about installation part.

- Was planning to get bigger horns, is it suggested? dont want to have unwanted load on electrical.
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:52   #4128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Folks, getting my truck tomorrow need few suggestions:

- Need to get the Autocop or Minda fixed, the other variants come with Minda i guess. is it suggested to get this at TASS, am worried about installation part.

- Was planning to get bigger horns, is it suggested? dont want to have unwanted load on electrical.
Welcome to the club.

I fit Minda basic one in my Lx. TASS may not do it as you need to call Minda for fitting. Yes, installation is bit patchy. Do not allow to cut any of the main wiring.

I feel horns are sufficient loud and it is of Hella make. I never felt need of bigger horns.
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:10   #4129
Senior - BHPian

Thanks anuj, yea am concerned about it, dont want any issues later. how much did Minda cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Welcome to the club.

I fit Minda basic one in my Lx. TASS may not do it as you need to call Minda for fitting. Yes, installation is bit patchy. Do not allow to cut any of the main wiring.

I feel horns are sufficient loud and it is of Hella make. I never felt need of bigger horns.
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:44   #4130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks anuj, yea am concerned about it, dont want any issues later. how much did Minda cost?
I opted for very basic one form Minda as I do not want impact sensor and all those nuisance. Just open and close the door was sufficient for me. It costed me ~2600.00 Rupees, if I remember it correctly. But after fitting almost 8 - 9 months over and there is no issue.

For Safety purpose I do not rely on this Minda or Autocop, which is their USP. For safety of vehicle when I park outside I use steering - brake lock. Something similar to this
StoreJi: Car Steering Pedal Lock safety Rod + VAT BILL | eBay
Old 23rd February 2012, 18:43   #4131
BHPian

Quote:
The SA called to confirm that as per their investigation and confirmation by Delphi engineer, the problem is with the injectors.

However he states that there should be no problem in running other than a bit of knocking. He's not sure if the problem will go away with injector replacement..

So will be driving with the problem as is. fingers crossed.

If you have had a dose of bad quality of fuel the effects remain for quite long time. It almost takes 3 4 tank full of diesel. So wait and watch. I dont think the injectors are at fault.

Secondly as I have told you in my earlier posts kindly have the FIP and injectors diagnosed by the Diamond kit which the Tata dealerships have with them. Again as rightly pointed out in earlier posts the temperature sensor on the pump could be the culprit. Try changing the sensor. This can be done on the vehicle itself. No need to remove the pump. You just have to remove all the plumbings of the air intake system and you have access to the HP pump. You can get the temperature sensor at Delphi-TVS branches or dealerships. The price is around 250-300. The Tata dealerships might be hesitant to do the job. Try with your trusted mechanic.

Please let me know.

Regards

Samir

Last edited by CRDIsamir : 23rd February 2012 at 18:44. Reason: Forgot a line to mention
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:12   #4132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
IS rusting of parts like tailgate, doors etc., covered under extended warranty...
I suspect it will be categorized as "normal wear" due to aging and hence, not part of warranty. But, no harm asking.
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:19   #4133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
If you have had a dose of bad quality of fuel the effects remain for quite long time. It almost takes 3 4 tank full of diesel. So wait and watch. I dont think the injectors are at fault.

Secondly as I have told you in my earlier posts kindly have the FIP and injectors diagnosed by the Diamond kit which the Tata dealerships have with them. Again as rightly pointed out in earlier posts the temperature sensor on the pump could be the culprit. Try changing the sensor. This can be done on the vehicle itself. No need to remove the pump. You just have to remove all the plumbings of the air intake system and you have access to the HP pump. You can get the temperature sensor at Delphi-TVS branches or dealerships. The price is around 250-300. The Tata dealerships might be hesitant to do the job. Try with your trusted mechanic.

Please let me know.

Regards

Samir
Thanks Samir. The information provided by you is extremely useful. esp. in dealing with the service center.

The delphi engineers came and did the diagnostics.

Would you suggest use of System-D for a couple of tankfuls ? will it help clear any problem with the injectors caused by bad fuel ?

Will Injector flush added to the fuel be of help ? this is generally not encouraged by the Service center.

thanks once again.

Last edited by smsrini : 23rd February 2012 at 20:26.
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:52   #4134
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Samir. The information provided by you is extremely useful. esp. in dealing with the service center.

The delphi engineers came and did the diagnostics.

Would you suggest use of System-D for a couple of tankfuls ? will it help clear any problem with the injectors caused by bad fuel ?

Will Injector flush added to the fuel be of help ? this is generally not encouraged by the Service center.

thanks once again.

I generally recommend System D or the Premium Diesel to my customers only if they are using it regularly. I mean if you are using it once in month then its ok. If you have not used it anytime then I would not suggest it.

The reason is it has properties to loosen the rust and other unwanted things in the fuel line. Also it displaces carbon deposits in the engine. Now with this property it also removes the rust and other hard material in the fuel tank and the pipe line and clog the system.

So if you are regularly using System D go ahead no harm in it. But if you have not used it at all or for a long time have the tank and the fuel pipes cleaned properly prior to using System D.

Regards

Samir
CRDIsamir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 12:01   #4135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyank View Post
Need advice from existing owners on engine oil.
My safari dicor 2.2 is about little less than 20k on the odometer. I had changed the oil when it was at 10K through the service centre.

want advice if i can procure synthetic oil from outside? and ask the them service outlet to use that? is that possible?
else can i do it outside, if so what engine would one recommend for the safari 2.2 dicor?
keyan
Change your oil from outside only if the truck is not under warranty. As when you would go for the service they will insist for oil change. I read many people changing to synthetic oil and then wanting to change back. My suggestion is to change the regular oil (i use castrol) at about 7-7.5k and when you change just add an engine oil additive to it.
Old 24th February 2012, 12:53   #4136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There must be something else that is rattling in the door, not the glass.
I will check this, but i do see the glass shaking badly and making the noise.

Quote:

There are some good ones that hella manufactures, try those. OEM(though made by hell as well) are not sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
For safety of vehicle when I park outside I use steering - brake lock. Something similar to this
StoreJi: Car Steering Pedal Lock safety Rod + VAT BILL | eBay
Try getting a gear lock. I have seen a relative's car getting saved because of that when three other cars parked next to it were stolen.
Old 24th February 2012, 14:50   #4137
Senior - BHPian

Folks got the delivery of the "bull", i need some time to settle with it now, too many things i would want to do, first go for a long drive

Long list of accesories, well i need to go for them in phases though

Is it recommended to get the autocop fixed at TASS?

Anuj thanks for the info, i tink i need to invest on gearlock, asap.
Old 24th February 2012, 20:56   #4138
BHPian

Dear Safari Gurus...

I need your quick help.

My Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT brokedown in the middle of the night during travel 2 weeks back. It wouldnt start. Finally I got it towed to the nearest dealer Manickbag in Hubli which was around 70KM. I am told that Timing Belt is broken and needs to be chaged. Also 10 RFF have broken and needs to be changed. He has replaced those parts. But when he started the vehicle some noise came from the engine. Now he is saying that the engine head is gone and the camshaft is bent. The whole head assembly needs to be replaced. There will be an approximate damage of Rs. 70K.

My Safari is 4 year old and the extended warranty expired on Dec 31, 2011. I spoke to the GM Service of Manickbag and he also says the same story. He in fact says that the timing belt needs to be changed either 1,05,000 KM or 2 years whichever is earlier.

I spoke to my regular service advisor in Prerana Motors Bangalore and he was of the opinion that this level of damage is very rare.

I would like to know from the guru's
1. Is it common that engine head and camshaft gets jammed so easly.
2. How do I proceed from here. Is the replacement of said parts only option?
3. Does anyone know someone in Tata Motors or Regional Office who can may be help me or at least reduce the cost?
Old 24th February 2012, 21:58   #4139
Senior - BHPian

OUCH!!
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Its sad but this reflects on the poor servicing done by the TASS, because a faulty timing belt should have been diagnosed in one of the services.
Timing belt rupture does result in the damage you specified above. By the way.. whats 10RFF??
However, since your warranty has expired, you can get the job done from a competent mechanic outside or any other large garage where they can do an engine job.
In that case you will not need to replace the head and only have to replace the associated components. These parts are available at any authorised spares dealer or at the TASS. Your estimate will reduce to less than half of the existing quote.
The TASS will always recommend replacing the entire head with associated components, further denting your pocket.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 24th February 2012 at 22:06.
Old 24th February 2012, 22:06   #4140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
Dear Safari Gurus...

I need your quick help.

My Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT brokedown in the middle of the night during travel 2 weeks back. It wouldnt start. Finally I got it towed to the nearest dealer Manickbag in Hubli which was around 70KM. I am told that Timing Belt is broken and needs to be chaged. Also 10 RFF have broken and needs to be changed. He has replaced those parts. But when he started the vehicle some noise came from the engine. Now he is saying that the engine head is gone and the camshaft is bent. The whole head assembly needs to be replaced. There will be an approximate damage of Rs. 70K.

My Safari is 4 year old and the extended warranty expired on Dec 31, 2011. I spoke to the GM Service of Manickbag and he also says the same story. He in fact says that the timing belt needs to be changed either 1,05,000 KM or 2 years whichever is earlier.

I spoke to my regular service advisor in Prerana Motors Bangalore and he was of the opinion that this level of damage is very rare.

I would like to know from the guru's
1. Is it common that engine head and camshaft gets jammed so easly.
2. How do I proceed from here. Is the replacement of said parts only option?
3. Does anyone know someone in Tata Motors or Regional Office who can may be help me or at least reduce the cost?

There is always a possiblity of timing belt breaking in the modern engines though it is very rare. That is the reason that the timing belt has to be changed at the specified intervals. Now the extent of damage when the belt breaks depends on at what speed the belt broke. If it breaks at idling speed or very low speeds there is a possiblity that you may be saved from the costly repairs such as damaged head, camshaft engine valves, pistons etc. But if this happens at high speeds then it really damages the engine and you are in for a a very high cost repair job.

Do you remember at what speed the engine stalled ?

The general practice after the timing belt is changed, engine is rebuilt or when you refit a FIP the technician must rotate the engine manually for one complete rotation. This is done to ensure the timing is correct. If the timing goes wrong then the engine locks at a particular point when the piston and the valves touch each other. In your case if the camshaft is bent and the head is damaged how could they start the engine ? The engine as I told you just wont rotate fully if the camshaft is bent. Even your regular advisor is also amused at it. I would suggest you to tow your vehicle to Bangalore and get it repaired at your trusted place.

Keep us updated.

Regards

Samir

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks