Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 14:31   #4096
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
A faulty fuel temperature sensor registers error codes. For e.g. Scorpios have a DTC code of P-0182 and P-0183 for the same. Irrespective of whether the fuel system is Delphi or Bosch make (whether hot or cold) , it must have an error code !

Spike
In tanveers case it was not faulty, just misbehaving and hence no permanent error code.
Old 9th February 2012, 14:33   #4097
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A faulty fuel temperature sensor registers error codes. For e.g. Scorpios have a DTC code of P-0182 and P-0183 for the same. Irrespective of whether the fuel system is Delphi or Bosch make (whether hot or cold) , it must have an error code !

Spike
In this case, the engine RPM was fluctuating. The fuel temp sensor was not giving an "error" value, but wrong value. so lets say temp was 10 degrees, it would say 0 degree etc.,
Since values were frequently fluctuating, and all these fluctuating values were valid, no error code was flagged.
To catch this, ECU code should have a subroutine which flags an error if temp reported fluctuates rapidly.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 14:36   #4098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
In tanveers case it was not faulty, just misbehaving and hence no permanent error code.
Dadu, misbehaving is categorized as faulty. Why do you think it was replaced then ? Even if you say it was misbehaving, some error code (corresponding to high or low) must be displayed. That is my understanding.

Spike
Old 9th February 2012, 14:40   #4099
Senior - BHPian

How much does the fuel pump cost ? the car is out of extended warranty period, so have to brace for the big bang!

cheers!
Old 9th February 2012, 14:45   #4100
BHPian

Quote:

Spike

The fault code being discussed here is aout the temperature sensor on hte HP pump not the water temperature sensor. The temperature sensor on the HP pump is present on Dicors, Logan( Verito) Toyota Innova. Of which Toyota gives a error code on a scanner.

Other CR High pressure pumps do not have a temp. sensor including Scorpio. Yes all the vehicles should give a error code if the water temperature sonsor fails.

Regards

Samir

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
How much does the fuel pump cost ? the car is out of extended warranty period, so have to brace for the big bang!

cheers!

The fuel pump costs around 23000/- But can be repaired at about 10000- 12000. Can you tell me if you face any other problem other then the temperature sensor error ?

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th February 2012 at 16:58. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 15:00   #4101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dadu, misbehaving is categorized as faulty. Why do you think it was replaced then ? Even if you say it was misbehaving, some error code (corresponding to high or low) must be displayed. That is my understanding.

Spike
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
The fault code being discussed here is aout the temperature sensor on hte HP pump not the water temperature sensor. The temperature sensor on the HP pump is present on Dicors, Logan( Verito) Toyota Innova. Of which Toyota gives a error code on a scanner.

Other CR High pressure pumps do not have a temp. sensor including Scorpio. Yes all the vehicles should give a error code if the water temperature sonsor fails.

Regards

Samir
Yes, but during this misbehaviour, it throws a generic fault code , otherwise it wouldnt have taken months and huge no of parts change for tanveer. It alll depends on how the ECU is programmed to handle those errors sent by the sensors and TATA's ECU is not OBDII compliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post

cheers!
Srini, you dont have to assume that its a FP problem since its a generic code and can be due to any leakage in the fuel assembly and or air intake, not to mention sensor problems. I would suggest wait, gather some more details on this and get more closer to the problem before deciding.

Last edited by dadu : 9th February 2012 at 15:03.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 15:10   #4102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
It alll depends on how the ECU is programmed to handle those errors sent by the sensors and TATA's ECU is not OBDII compliant.
Not required actually, OBD-I will suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
Dear Samir Sir, I am also talking about the fuel temperature sensor. Did I mention anywhere about coolant temperature sensor? Safari may have a different arrangement but the error codes must be present that I am sure. Why it did not happen in this case, what do you think ?

Quote:
Other CR High pressure pumps do not have a temp. sensor including Scorpio.
But, does Scorpio come with a temperature sensor for fuel?

Spike
Old 9th February 2012, 15:33   #4103
BHPian

Quote:
Not required actually, OBD-I will suffice.

Dear Samir Sir, I am also talking about the fuel temperature sensor. Did I mention anywhere about coolant temperature sensor? Safari may have a different arrangement but the error codes must be present that I am sure. Why it did not happen in this case, what do you think ?

But, does Scorpio come with a temperature sensor for fuel?

Spike

No the Scorpio does not have a temperature sensor on the HP pump.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:54   #4104
Team-BHP Support

Fuel pump replacement is not necessary. In my case it was replaced as car was under warranty. Fuel temp sensor replacement should fix the issue
Old 9th February 2012, 19:26   #4105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams_4x4 View Post
Also I need one clarification. Is this the cause for low fuel efficiency ? I am getting only ~ 9 kmpl in Bangalore City traffic. No hard revving or no harsh
9KMPl in a bumper to bumper traffic is normal. I usually get 9.6 to 9.8(tankful to tankful method) when i avoid the commute during peak hour.
Old 10th February 2012, 17:47   #4106
BHPian

Hi all, I recently saw this K&N filter on ebay for sale for Tata safari

K&N Filter

1) Does K&N make filters for the Safari?
2) If yes, Is this recommended for the safari against the OEM filter?
3) As the advt. says "Increases performance" how true is this and what difference will it actually make?
4)What will or could be the side effects?
Old 10th February 2012, 19:52   #4107
BHPian

1) Does K&N make filters for the Safari?
Yes. I purchased last year from Reliance autozone for 5200INR
3) As the advt. says "Increases performance" how true is this and what difference will it actually make?
I have this installed. I do experience some performance improvement specially the ease with which it get to top speed (I drove at around 160 kmph on my recent trip to gujarat). However for normal usage you probably won't notice
Old 10th February 2012, 20:25   #4108
Team-BHP Support

Tata Safari 4x4 front hubs

the 4x4 front hubs are giving problems again. On a recent snow drive, they stopped engaging. I had to disengage and then engage. They also make a krrr noise while engaging, but during running there is no noise.
This is the second time they have failed. I guess it will be another fight with EW guys.
MEanwhile, I was wondering, does anybody know the exact part number/model of a cheap and good manual locking hub I can fit on the safari. Just in case the warranty guys decide to cheat, I would go for manual hubs(auto locking ones cost 10,000+ each!)

A request, please do not speculate. Answers like "I think a certain warn hub might fit" are totally useless. I also know a certain warn, or lambda or whatever hub will fit. This information is totally useless. Only if you know the exact model, or model family, please tell
Old 10th February 2012, 23:53   #4109

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams_4x4 View Post
Also I need one clarification. Is this the cause for low fuel efficiency ? I am getting only ~ 9 kmpl in Bangalore City traffic. No hard revving or no harsh driving. I try to keep her as smooth as possible. But still I get only 9kmpl.

Regards,
Shams
Shams_4X4,
The appearance of check engine light if only for a very short moment, probably will not affect the fuel efficiency if it is directly attributed to the issue which was in my car and is in your car ‘error code P2015…’ , because we had travelled 3 long distance trips during the period when this check engine light was still not resolved and the last one was 900km in a day and we were getting an average of 13.5 to 14 throughout with 100%AC and occasional hard whacking.
w.r.t. city drive what I have perceived is a figure of 9kmpl or above is good.
Reg,
ambylover
Old 18th February 2012, 10:49   #4110
Senior - BHPian

With Summer visiting bangalore early, have noticed a new problem with the aircon.

in the afternoon, the aircon is unable to cool effectively, leaving the car pretty hot to sit in.

however evenings, it is able to cool sufficiently well, to the extent of making the cabin extremely cold.

any pointers ? since it is able to cool in the evening, i'm assuming the air conditioner condenser, compressor and coolant are ok..

thanks
Srini

Most Viewed