Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2012, 22:48   #4066
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

like smartkeys.in , i think there r many other companies who have similar products.
thanks regards
avanish
Old 25th January 2012, 20:05   #4067
AVR
BHPian

Steering Gearbox Leakage

Guys,

Safari had a leakage from the front-driver side oil seal of the power steering. Had all the seals replaced but the problem again cropped up a few days later. Now today I was told that there seems to be play in the piston of the gearbox and hence the seals are cracking up in very little usage post fitting. Have been told a new piston for the gearbox costs 11K. Has anyone run into this issue before? A price list compiled by ibm_jennifer a few years back pegged the entire steering gearbox at 19k so am wondering if a piston by itself would cost 11k. Also is the diagnosis correct? Not sure how wear and tear in a piston can cause an oil seal to leak.

Thoughts?
Adi
Old 27th January 2012, 14:20   #4068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
I hear a lot of wind noise from both driver side and passenger side door at high speeds, this noise is way too much annoying and so loud that even if the music is ON, you can still hear it.
This is a 'feature' of the Safari Main reason for this behavior is large gaps b/w the door frame and body while the doors are closed. The gaps are too large for the rubber beading to be effectively able to insulate the cabin. Try getting the beading changed once, if you want to, but this is more of a live-with-it issue.
Old 31st January 2012, 18:02   #4069
BHPian

Yes, door adjustment will solve the problem for the time being but it will definitely come back in a Month. Is there another heavy beading we can use that works and sounds better?
Old 1st February 2012, 12:31   #4070
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Need to get my transfer case seal replaced as it has developed a minor leak. According to the SA, this (part/labor) will NOT be covered under extended warranty (I am out of the manufacturer's standard warranty of 2 years). I went through the extended warranty booklet but there is no explicit mention (regarding inclusion or exclusion) of oil seals. Could someone please validate this?

Thanks in advance...
Old 1st February 2012, 12:39   #4071
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

Need to get my transfer case seal replaced as it has developed a minor leak. According to the SA, this (part/labor) will NOT be covered under extended warranty (I am out of the manufacturer's standard warranty of 2 years). I went through the extended warranty booklet but there is no explicit mention (regarding inclusion or exclusion) of oil seals. Could someone please validate this?

Thanks in advance...
IMO any thing that is not mentioned in exclusion is covered. Press for it or write to the customer care. EW they always try to avoid if possible.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:51   #4072
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks in advance...
Rubber parts are generally not covered. However can write an email to customer care to press them.
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:00   #4073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need to get my transfer case seal replaced as it has developed a minor leak...
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
IMO any thing that is not mentioned in exclusion is covered. Press for it or write to the customer care. EW they always try to avoid if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Rubber parts are generally not covered. However can write an email to customer care to press them.
Thanks all for your responses. I had a discussion with the SA and the workshop manager when I went to pick up my truck - the extended warranty booklet says 'Transfer Case - all internal parts' under the 'Covered Items' section and hence leaves room for ambiguity since a seal is not a part, strictly speaking. That said, the workshop manager was kind enough to give me a hefty cut on the labor (the seal itself was INR 250) and hence I did not press further to get this covered under EW.

Last edited by cool_dube : 2nd February 2012 at 13:01.
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:07   #4074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for your responses. I had a discussion with the SA and the workshop manager when I went to pick up my truck - the extended warranty booklet says 'Transfer Case - all internal parts' under the 'Covered Items' section and hence leaves room for ambiguity since a seal is not a part, strictly speaking. That said, the workshop manager was kind enough to give me a hefty cut on the labor (the seal itself was INR 250) and hence I did not press further to get this covered under EW.
All materials used in any vehicle are parts and are identified by their Unique part no in their inventory. That itself is proof enough that its a part.

Anyhow good to know they gave you discounts in lieu.
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:14   #4075
Team-BHP Support

I am getting a crunching sound from front 4x4 hubs every time I engage 4WD. I think the front hubs are about to go.
Extended warranty booklet says front hubs covered, but does not specify 4WD or 2WD
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:34   #4076
Senior - BHPian

Seal

Quote:
warranty booklet says 'Transfer Case - all internal parts' under the 'Covered Items' section and hence leaves room for ambiguity since a seal is not a part, strictly speaking.
Agree about the ambiguity part, but seal is a VERY prominent part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
All materials used in any vehicle are parts and are identified by their Unique part no in their inventory. That itself is proof enough that its a part.
Exactly, see an illustrative example (for understanding only) --

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-seal.jpg

Spike
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:10   #4077
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am getting a crunching sound from front 4x4 hubs every time I engage 4WD. I think the front hubs are about to go.
Extended warranty booklet says front hubs covered, but does not specify 4WD or 2WD
In exclusions, it says Humming/ buzzing noise(bearing, axle ect). So hub XWD should be covered until they specifically mention it in exclusions.
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:12   #4078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In exclusions, it says Humming/ buzzing noise(bearing, axle ect). So hub XWD should be covered until they specifically mention it in exclusions.
No humming noise while operation. But sometimes it does not engage, and makes crunching sounds. So I guess it should be covered. Will use it for some more time, and then go for change,
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:19   #4079
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No humming noise while operation. But sometimes it does not engage, and makes crunching sounds. So I guess it should be covered. Will use it for some more time, and then go for change,
We have proper printed document which clearly mentions coverage scope. Since its an insurance, until the specifically mention exclusions or we default in service schedule they have to honor the EW. Hence they should cover it.
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:06   #4080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have proper printed document which clearly mentions coverage scope. Since its an insurance, until the specifically mention exclusions or we default in service schedule they have to honor the EW. Hence they should cover it.
Print or no print, it depends on how the SA handles the insurance. I have Done that been there on no prints too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks