Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 15:33   #4036
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

I hear a lot of wind noise from both driver side and passenger side door at high speeds, this noise is way too much annoying and so loud that even if the music is ON, you can still hear it. Moreover outside air / smell easily enters the cabin and stays for long time. What could be the issue?
Old 16th January 2012, 15:49   #4037
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post

1) Unable to slot the car into any gear. Sometimes it becomes very difficult to put the gear lever into any gear. Mostly experienced when the car is standing still. It is difficult to slot the gear stick into any gear. And then suddenly once it gets slotted into any random gear, then am able to slot the gear stick into any gear without any resistance. This is not only experienced during a cold start but even after the car has run for sometime, but is about to move from a stand still position.
There's an issue with the synchro rings that fit between the gears. If there's something wrong with them you'll have sporadic instances of no gears slotting and then it will all start working normally. Check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
I hear a lot of wind noise from both driver side and passenger side door at high speeds, this noise is way too much annoying and so loud that even if the music is ON, you can still hear it. Moreover outside air / smell easily enters the cabin and stays for long time. What could be the issue?
The common issue for both your problems is that you bought a Tata Safari. lol

On a serious note, check if the windows are slotting into the right cushion as you roll them up completely. Many times they don't end up in the right place and the wind noise continues.

About the smell. Tata doesn't have any technology that can keep outside air/smells outside. Best is to live with it.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 20:33   #4038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi, Can some one please explain the causes for the following items:
3) Can I take off the engine cover. Its struts have become loose. Even after being replaced at the TASS, the cover has lost its original rigid fitting and vibrates. Does the engine cover have any useful function?

Thanks

PS the car is now old - over 3 years and 105k
I can give you solution for this, make your own bushes. The cover getting loose is a very common issue because the rubber bushes holding the cover tight deteriorates over a period of time as it is exposed to high temperature and vibrations. I had the same issue and checked with TASS, only solution is to replace the bushes from TASS, but the same story repeats.

What I did was very simple. Had an old Paragon rubber chappal laying around, cut it to make some buses, drilled it to make the provision for the mount, stuck it to the cover with some glue and I am done.
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 22:19   #4039
BHPian

Dont remove the engine cover...it protects the injectors from gathering dust on them..also while pressure washing, it the guy washes you engine, pressure can harm those injectors and rails.

Hence keep the cover ON and try to find a solution to HOW
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 23:13   #4040
BHPian

The temp needle of my Safari 3L is behaving a little weird. As long as the car runs at 30 kmph and above the temp gauge needle stays at the normal position (1/4 mark). As soon as there is stop'n'go traffic or getting stuck in a jam, the needle rises and reaches the half way mark. The half way mark usually used to be reached while doing those high mountain passes in ladakh, not driving in 8 deg C in delhi.
Any ideas as to what can cause this behavior? The coolant is full in the radiator and the reservoir is upto the mark. The fan (the upper one) seems to run at pretty high speed when the needle is at the half way mark.
I suspect the lower fan is not working (just a guess)

Last edited by trance_nut : 16th January 2012 at 23:14.
Old 16th January 2012, 23:58   #4041
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
The temp needle of my Safari 3L is behaving a little weird. As long as the car runs at 30 kmph and above the temp gauge needle stays at the normal position (1/4 mark). As soon as there is stop'n'go traffic or getting stuck in a jam, the needle rises and reaches the half way mark. The half way mark usually used to be reached while doing those high mountain passes in ladakh, not driving in 8 deg C in delhi.
Any ideas as to what can cause this behavior? The coolant is full in the radiator and the reservoir is upto the mark. The fan (the upper one) seems to run at pretty high speed when the needle is at the half way mark.
I suspect the lower fan is not working (just a guess)
Its also possible that your radiator fins are clogged with mud. A radiator with bad air flow will result in significant heating up when in stop-n-go traffic. Do give it a pressure wash. Have always seen a marked improvement post the wash.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 17th January 2012, 00:08   #4042
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Moreover outside air / smell easily enters the cabin and stays for long time. What could be the issue?

Close everything.

A person inside the vehicle has a couple of smoking agarbathi's. Takes them around the vehicle.
Another person watches from outside to spot the place from where the smoke exits the vehicle.

Be careful, you don't want burn marks on your seats.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 00:18   #4043
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Close everything.

A person inside the vehicle has a couple of smoking agarbathi's. Takes them around the vehicle.
Another person watches from outside to spot the place from where the smoke exits the vehicle.

Might be dangerous for the guy sitting inside to be inhaling all that smoke. I'd pray for some leakage so that it ensures that person survives.
Old 17th January 2012, 11:07   #4044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The temp needle of my Safari 3L is behaving a little weird. ... stop'n'go traffic or getting stuck in a jam, the needle rises and reaches the half way mark. ...
That is perfectly normal. Cooling is higher when the coolant and air flow rate is higher, i.e. when the car is moving. Happens in most (all?) cars.

There is a thread (please search) where this has been discussed.
Old 17th January 2012, 11:53   #4045
BHPian

I thought of that too, and on the weekend open the grill and pressure washed the radiator fins and the condenser. But still the moment the car is in stop-n-go traffic, the needle starts rising, and reaches the half way mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Its also possible that your radiator fins are clogged with mud. A radiator with bad air flow will result in significant heating up when in stop-n-go traffic. Do give it a pressure wash. Have always seen a marked improvement post the wash.

Cheers,
Adi
Why i found it abnormal was because earlier the needle used to always stay at the 1/4 mark, whether in stop-n-go traffic or cruising on the highway.
Now it seems as if the radiator fans are kicking in a little late than before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That is perfectly normal. Cooling is higher when the coolant and air flow rate is higher, i.e. when the car is moving. Happens in most (all?) cars.

There is a thread (please search) where this has been discussed.
Old 17th January 2012, 12:20   #4046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why i found it abnormal was because earlier the needle used to always stay at the 1/4 mark, whether in stop-n-go traffic or cruising on the highway.
Since the time i bought the car ( 2.2 VTT ), I've seen it stay at the half way mark. It rises as the engine warms up and comes to the halfway mark in 30mins of driving.

check your coolant levels and refill if required.

cheers!
Srini

Last edited by smsrini : 17th January 2012 at 12:21.
Old 17th January 2012, 12:23   #4047
BHPian

Srini, the 3L safari has the needle at the 1/4 mark (engine warmed up) while the 2.2 has it at the 1/2 mark. Mine is the 3L safari .
The coolant levels are perfectly fine in both the radiator and the reservoir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Since the time i bought the car, I've seen it stay at the half way mark. It rises as the engine warms up and comes to the halfway mark in 30mins of driving.

check your coolant levels and refill if required.

cheers!
Srini
Old 17th January 2012, 12:34   #4048
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
I thought of that too, and on the weekend open the grill and pressure washed the radiator fins and the condenser. But still the moment the car is in stop-n-go traffic, the needle starts rising, and reaches the half way mark.
I don't think it's kicking late as that would manifest even on an open road. Because you mention it happens more in stop-n-go traffic, it becomes more an issue about improper air flow. Ever tried a radiator flush? I tried it once and it will make a helluva difference. So try that once. What pressure wash is to the outside, radiator flush is to the inside.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 17th January 2012, 13:34   #4049
BANNED

Quote:
This is an indication that your radiator thermostat is slowly failing - when this starts happening the temperature at which the fans kick in slowly starts increasing until finally it doesn't kick in at all. At this point the thermostat would have completely failed.

The only way to check this out is to change the thermostat (get it from a demo vehicle and fit it) and see if the radiator fans kick in at the normal time. Difficult thing to do as they may not be wiling or have a demo vehicle to temporarily swap the thermostat. It is best to just change the thermostat straightaway.
Old 17th January 2012, 14:36   #4050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
The common issue for both your problems is that you bought a Tata Safari. lol

On a serious note, check if the windows are slotting into the right cushion as you roll them up completely. Many times they don't end up in the right place and the wind noise continues.

About the smell. Tata doesn't have any technology that can keep outside air/smells outside. Best is to live with it.

Cheers,
Adi
Adi, I know what you mean. And sure I am prepared for such niggles. I will get the "slotting into right cushion" thing checked, potentially that looks like the problem area.

Sad to know that we need to live with that outside smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Close everything.

Ohh wow!!! are you serious? Let me try this too. Somehow I need to get rid of this problem, today it is air, tomorrow it could be water!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks