BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Multiple complaints with the car:

- noise from all the doors
- rattling window glasses
- noise from overhead ac
- clanking sound from the tyres when turning towards extreme right
- ac vent on the passenger side at the leg space not working

Handed it over to Concorde motors on Hosur road on friday evening.

Got the car back on saturday evening. Took a test drive for ~40kms. Not even a single sound :-).

They managed to rectify all the problems with the car and now it is running like a dream. Other than the engine's sound, there is nothing that you can hear, absolutely no rattles.
somubj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 19:30   #3977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
I will soon visit a showroom soon to try this out.
I did a TD - not a TD actually, but just checked the ergonomics carefully today.

By lifting the steering to upper most position, it was possible to get comfortable leg room.

I was in fact about to book the GX - pearl white today. Got stuck as some senior sales person was required to discuss they discount etc. (All this happened at my home where they had brought the car on my request.)
Old 19th December 2011, 11:02   #3978
BHPian

Hey guys I had a query as to how do you check the clutch fluid container level. I mean that the max and min levels are hidden by the mount bracket and in my Safari I can see only a bit of the min level on the container and the container is so small you cannot make out properly as to how much fluid is there. Also how does the container open?, Is the regular rotate to open type or is there another way cause I tried to see the contents of the container by opening it today but the cover didn't move a bit.
Old 19th December 2011, 11:15   #3979
Team-BHP Support

After more than 3 years of ownership, and 75000kms, the problem of dust coming in cabin has stopped.
How was it solved?
I asked my service advisor to take a plastic sheet, attach some foam, and the stick it outside the recirculation vents.
So the "external air vent" is permanently closed now. No dust issues!
Old 19th December 2011, 11:57   #3980
BHPian

@ somubj

"clanking sound from the tyres when turning towards extreme right"

wow good to hear this is resolved. can you tell me what was the issue that made this sound. My friends safari is still having this sound and TASS did nt fixed this till now.

Last edited by harryms : 19th December 2011 at 11:58.
Old 19th December 2011, 14:00   #3981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
@ somubj

"clanking sound from the tyres when turning towards extreme right"

wow good to hear this is resolved. can you tell me what was the issue that made this sound. My friends safari is still having this sound and TASS did nt fixed this till now.
lower Idler arm needs some greasing thats it...its a rod behind the front left wheel
Old 19th December 2011, 14:16   #3982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
lower Idler arm needs some greasing thats it...its a rod behind the front left wheel
thank you very much for the quick reply. I have called my friend just now to convey this to him. He has given the vehicle for service today at Hosur road concord motors. I hope his issue will be resolved today.
Old 19th December 2011, 14:22   #3983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
I am in the same situation as above, I want to change my engine oil back to mineral from synthetic just because of the cost of it and my car is not used that much. I dont mind changing the mineral oil at 5000-6000 kms interval. So now since I have synthetic oil already being used in my engine is it recommended to change back to mineral(what is to be done if the oil is to be changed back to mineral) and which mineral oil is the best for the 6K interval.
You will need to use engine flush first before moving from Synthetic to Mineral.

You can use Mobil or else castrol GTX I guess for your 2.2

for Safari 3L its Castrol GTD
Old 19th December 2011, 16:51   #3984
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using MOBIL1 0W40 Synthetic engine oil in the Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor ?

Per owners manual recommended oil is API-CH4 grade, whereas Mobil1 0W40 is recommended for use in API-CF grade applications.

The tata motors customer care site also mentions Mobil1 as recommended for use in MPFI PETROL engines only.

I ask because Tejaswi motors hyderabad has used this engine oil during the engine rebuild, and claim this as approved by Tata Motors.

thanks
Srinivas
Old 19th December 2011, 16:51   #3985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
You will need to use engine flush first before moving from Synthetic to Mineral.

You can use Mobil or else castrol GTX I guess for your 2.2

for Safari 3L its Castrol GTD
Dont think one has to flush for an oil change. Get Mobile Delvac ; you will find lot of Mobile users here.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:55   #3986
BHPian

are you sure JKdas?...I know one does not need to flush for oil change...but here the query is to move from one type of oil to another i.e Synthetic to Mineral...You think we can simply change oil type without flushing. I dont think any TASS will do it like that...
Old 19th December 2011, 17:55   #3987

I have a 10-month old EX. Doing great except for the following problems that keep nagging me -

1. Sometimes the car gives a jerk, especially on 3rd gear. I've not noticed any pattern like only below 1500 RPM etc. Only thing is that it mostly happens when the accelerator is lightly depressed. This I have observed almost from day 1. I have complained to the service guys multiple times. Each time they clean the air filter and hand the car back to me. What could be the issue?

2. The driver seat seems loose and keeps clicking and clacking when I turn or go over a rough patch. The service guys told me that they have tightened it the best they could but the problem persists.

3. The rear door kept scraping the body. The paint at the bottom of the door had come off and it started to rust. This was fixed and repainted against warranty.
Old 19th December 2011, 18:06   #3988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
After more than 3 years of ownership, and 75000kms, the problem of dust coming in cabin has stopped.
How was it solved?
I asked my service advisor to take a plastic sheet, attach some foam, and the stick it outside the recirculation vents.
So the "external air vent" is permanently closed now. No dust issues!
Can you post some pictures or explain this in more detail. Even i want to get this fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
thank you very much for the quick reply. I have called my friend just now to convey this to him. He has given the vehicle for service today at Hosur road concord motors. I hope his issue will be resolved today.
The SA told me that something was hitting some locking bolt and they have made some adjustments to fix this.
Old 19th December 2011, 18:51   #3989
Team-BHP Support

The said fix is not visible from outside.

but its simple.
When you go on internal air mode, a flap closes(on the firewall) which blocks external air. I just got a plastic sheet fixed on the flap. Simple.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:36   #3990
BHPian

Black smoke

Hi,

I noticed black smoke from my car (Tata Safari GX 2010). Is this normal or something is getting wrong?

I noticed the Warning Lamp glowing twice before but it went away by itself before I plan to take it to the svc center.

Twice before, and when the steering wheel is at extreme turns, I heard a noise that is similar to the spring tension coming off, like that of in cycle stands. Should I worry?

Vehicle is at 20K+ and still 10K more for the next service.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Mahesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks