Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 01:28   #3961
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
changing back to mineral oil will not give any problems. If you are not the "high rev" kind of driver, and keep rpm at 2000-2500rpm, then go back to mineral oil.
Esp with 7.5K service intervals, mineral oil will do the job just as well.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I will be changing back to mineral oil then. It will save a lot of costs. And yes, I am not a high revving kind. I like to do trips at a leisurely pace say at 100kmph in 5th gear at max and I am not involved in any drag racing on the roads.

However I am planning to do a Sikkim trip in 3 months of time. Does mineral oil have any disadvantage as compared to Synthetic oil. I am from Hyderabad, And sikkim trip would involve around 7.5 k kms in 14 days and driving will be in high altitudes. Do you recommend sticking with synthetic oil atleast upto the trip?
TSK your advice on this would be especially helpful as you are a Safari Owner and you have done lot of trips at these altitudes and for long distances.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:15   #3962
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Thanks a lot for your reply. I will be changing back to mineral oil then. It will save a lot of costs. And yes, I am not a high revving kind. I like to do trips at a leisurely pace say at 100kmph in 5th gear at max and I am not involved in any drag racing on the roads.

However I am planning to do a Sikkim trip in 3 months of time. Does mineral oil have any disadvantage as compared to Synthetic oil. I am from Hyderabad, And sikkim trip would involve around 7.5 k kms in 14 days and driving will be in high altitudes. Do you recommend sticking with synthetic oil atleast upto the trip?
TSK your advice on this would be especially helpful as you are a Safari Owner and you have done lot of trips at these altitudes and for long distances.
I have done multiple ladakh trips on Mineral oil, as well as many other high alititude trips around kaza, rohtang, Jalori.
There will be no issues.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 06:57   #3963
BHPian

Got front suspension bushes replaced from a garage at HBR Layout, supposedly run by ex-TATA workshop technicians. They also replaced the lower arm ball joints.

Total cost including labor and alignment: Rs. 4248.

So far so good.
Old 8th December 2011, 09:02   #3964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got front suspension bushes replaced from a garage at HBR Layout, supposedly run by ex-TATA workshop technicians. They also replaced the lower arm ball joints.

Total cost including labor and alignment: Rs. 4248.
Could you please share the contact details and location of this garage?

Oh, thanks for the update on the other thread, saw it after I read this.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 8th December 2011 at 09:03.
Old 8th December 2011, 19:21   #3965
BHPian

I have test driven Safari once and am considering buying.

I am 6'1". I had a feeling when td-ing that the pedals are a little too far from the seat. Had to bend the lower back a bit to reach there. Problem is I couldn't move the seat towards front since then the steering would nearly touch my legs.

Wasn't too discomforting in a TD, but not sure how it will feel in long run.

Anyone around that height faces problem of this kind?
Old 8th December 2011, 19:52   #3966
BHPian

About synthetic versus mineral engine oil.

When oil change was due at 15K kms, I thought it is good to know how the 2.2 dicor behaves with synthetic. Since the 'push' at Concorde was for Castrol Edge and I had used the same in my previous car and that members here had discouraged using it on 2.2 vtt, thought it is a good idea to try Mobil 1.

Though it was a costly exercise, the engine ran smooth and a lot quieter than it was before reaching 15K kms. There was very very less smoke and it was not offensive while standing near the exhaust and trying to smell it at idling RPMs. In this state I had done an emission test. The technician was surprised to see the readings and near absence of soot which he mentioned.

At the next service to change engine oil at 30000kms I changed back to mineral oil for two reasons.
1. Cost of 8K or more for every 15K kms seemed prohibitive.
2. In the normal Bangalore city driving combined with highway drives, thought it is a better idea to change oil at 7500 kms.

But now after having run almost 5000kms after 30K kms service, I feel engine sounds harsh and the exhaust fumes are unbearable even if it is for idling time while parked at home. In the daily drives when an army of bikers are seen in mirror, behind the truck following in thick traffic, I start worrying.

From mid November it started cold mornings in Bangalore. Now with mineral engine oil, I see a lot more white smoke in cold start than last year. Do members feel this is normal?
Old 9th December 2011, 07:19   #3967
BHPian

Please refrain from using Mobil 1 (API CF !).2.2 Dicor engine needs minimum API CH-4.If you want to use a synthetic for this engine,there's Mobil Delvac 1 (5W-40/API CI-4 Plus).
rb2399 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 11:33   #3968
BHPian

I am in the same situation as above, I want to change my engine oil back to mineral from synthetic just because of the cost of it and my car is not used that much. I dont mind changing the mineral oil at 5000-6000 kms interval. So now since I have synthetic oil already being used in my engine is it recommended to change back to mineral(what is to be done if the oil is to be changed back to mineral) and which mineral oil is the best for the 6K interval.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:54   #3969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
... I couldn't move the seat towards front since then the steering would nearly touch my legs...
Did you try lowering the seat? Safari pilot seat is height adjustable. The lever is on rhs of the seat.
Old 9th December 2011, 21:32   #3970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Did you try lowering the seat? Safari pilot seat is height adjustable. The lever is on rhs of the seat.
Yes. I did. It's not so pleasing as it takes away some height advantage.

I don't know whether steering adjustment would help. Any tips on that?

I will soon visit a showroom soon to try this out.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:09   #3971
BHPian

Mine is at 36K kms on ODO, and my experience is similar to yours with regard to smoke.
On cold start in the morning, I let her idle for a minute or two, and for around 30 seconds there will be smoke coming out, and can very well smell it - it is a little strong on the nose.

The smoke dies down immediately after that. I am thinking this is normal.
I've always used mineral oil only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese View Post

From mid November it started cold mornings in Bangalore. Now with mineral engine oil, I see a lot more white smoke in cold start than last year. Do members feel this is normal?
verditer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 14:24   #3972
BHPian

Dear Safari owners,

I know the safari as we know it is on its final run before it is discontinued / replaced.

Would it make sense to buy one new now (EX / GX).
I need a larger car (no minivans), and the attitude the safari still exudes is good enough for me.

I am only worried about reliability, fit and finish is not so much an issue.
I currently own a 2006 NHC GXI.

Thanks in advance
Old 12th December 2011, 19:03   #3973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I need a larger car (no minivans), and the attitude the safari still exudes is good enough for me.
I sat in this state of mind for a while now, waiting for new version and all that.

Now just decided to take the plunge. Will be soon booking GX. I only want to re-check whether the ergonomics suit my height by taking TD one more time.

Mayuresh
Old 13th December 2011, 09:20   #3974
BHPian

Thanks Suresh.

Here's a video of exhaust at coldstart on a November morning. Shows first ten seconds. Take a look.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ColdStartNovMorning.zip (1.44 MB, 102 views)
Old 13th December 2011, 10:22   #3975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Anyone tried either Bilstein / Ironman / Tein shock absorbers + springs for the Safari ? I hear from Red Rooster that they have a kit for the Scorpio but not for the Safari.

thanks
Srini
There is a set of Bilstein shock absorbers which were imported for my Sierra Turbo, was used for nearly 20K kms and removed while selling the car. Now I am waiting for the shock absorber/suspension warranty on the 2.2 vtt to get over by 35K kms. This I believe is a direct fit (of the design for Sierra) for both front and back, need to check this though.

But I do not have any coils matching the truck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks