Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 19:00   #3946
BHPian

Prowler bro

Yes the more I drive I am reasoning with you. For two days when I run the car for 20 Kim's in heavy traffic ac on nothing comes up. Sometimes when I take a turn or switch on the lights and off or some vague thing it comes and then goes.
Looks like some contact is breaking on vibration which ecu registers and when it comes to place it goes

I have run almost 2000 km with average of almost 16

Only one question will running on like this short circuit or do some damage in future. I personally do not want o go to Tass as I fear they will break it more than fix it but if you say it's necessary I would make the trip

Regards and thanks
lodhra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 07:51   #3947
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

I got the brake pads changed from outside, although after I think there was about 10% life still left in the pads after 45k kms.

Cost: TVS Girling brake pad: Rs. 910. Labor Rs. 150.

TASS quote was Rs. 3k.

Got a quote for front suspension from outside. Parts Rs. 4k-5k, Labor Rs. 1k, Lathe Rs. 500.

TASS Quote was about Rs. 10k+.

Last edited by sumannandy : 3rd December 2011 at 07:53.
sumannandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:40   #3948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Prowler bro

Yes the more I drive I am reasoning with you. For two days when I run the car for 20 Kim's in heavy traffic ac on nothing comes up. Sometimes when I take a turn or switch on the lights and off or some vague thing it comes and then goes.
Looks like some contact is breaking on vibration which ecu registers and when it comes to place it goes

Only one question will running on like this short circuit or do some damage in future. I personally do not want o go to Tass as I fear they will break it more than fix it but if you say it's necessary I would make the trip
Lodhra Jee - If you/they have not replaced any of the fuses with a higher rated ones, if there is going to be a short, it would have blown the fuse by now. So it is likely to be not a short but a momentary break in the connection.
Old 3rd December 2011, 11:26   #3949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Cost: TVS Girling brake pad: Rs. 910. Labor Rs. 150.
TASS quote was Rs. 3k.
Got a quote for front suspension from outside. Parts Rs. 4k-5k, Labor Rs. 1k, Lathe Rs. 500.
TASS Quote was about Rs. 10k+.
Suman, could you tell us from where did you source the brake pads outside and did you check if they were the same Brake pads sold at TASS.
I'm having heartburn coz i paid 3k for the brake pads in the last service.

Thanks for the update
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:46   #3950

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_4_Jeep View Post
I have observed this on my 2.2 as well (all symptoms similar - long drives, light on/off, goes away after restarting). The second time it happened was yesterday when I was . I get an average of 15kmpl when this happens. Anyway I am taking it to concorde tomorrow.
Took the truck to concorde yesterday. There were two errors listed in the ECU memory regarding fuel pressure. The service guys took the truck to TVS for an upgraded firmware flash. (They didn't have the serial connector with them). Will have to wait till the next long trip to confirm whether this solves the issue, though.
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:51   #3951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Prowler bro

Regards and thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Suman, could you tell us from where did you source the brake pads outside and did you check if they were the same Brake pads sold at TASS.

Thanks for the update
Yes, can you share the details, TASS charges too much for the brake pad change. But I hope this workshop is competent with Safari's apart from just the brake pad change.
Old 3rd December 2011, 13:14   #3952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post

Thanks for the update
The brake pad was sourced from a shop near HBR Layout. TVS Girling original brake pad that is used in safari. I guess the same part is shared with Sumo, so it is not expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Yes, can you share the details, TASS charges too much for the brake pad change. But I hope this workshop is competent with Safari's apart from just the brake pad change.
I am not sure about their competencies about suspension work. However, I have seen many tata indica/indigo taxis being repaired there, so I was assuming they might just be competent enough to do the job.

Last time I got the suspension work done from my friendly neighborhood garage at Kolkata. The total cost was about Rs. 10k, including shock absorber.

I would love to get contact of any competent independent garage in case you have one.
sumannandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 17:39   #3953
BHPian

So I am about to get work done on front suspension for bushes, ball joints and lower and upper arm. Outside quote was Rs. 4k-5k for parts. I was wondering if there are better suspension options (may be at a slightly higher cost) that would be more comfortable and durable.
Old 5th December 2011, 11:31   #3954
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So I am about to get work done on front suspension for bushes, ball joints and lower and upper arm. Outside quote was Rs. 4k-5k for parts. I was wondering if there are better suspension options (may be at a slightly higher cost) that would be more comfortable and durable.
If you can get Teflon bushes cut instead of normal rubber bushes to fit your safari, they will last much longer. But I am unable to find anybody who does sale and lathe cutting of teflon bushes for the safari.
Old 5th December 2011, 12:48   #3955
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tried either Bilstein / Ironman / Tein shock absorbers + springs for the Safari ? I hear from Red Rooster that they have a kit for the Scorpio but not for the Safari.

thanks
Srini
Old 5th December 2011, 14:44   #3956
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Suman,

I replaced the complete set in Coimbatore (AutoZone), both front and back. Drive IN and Drive OUT was around Rs.21000 mark. It also includes most of the part for the suspension, minor steering box service and front disc and brake pads. I don't think they changed the shock absorbers. It felt great for about 6 months and then steering started rattling again. But it feels great after changing all the tires.

Regards
Prem
soarer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 15:32   #3957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
nice thread, fill it then i will take a printout and throw it on the faces of tatamotors officials
This quote is from the first page of this thread back in 2008 and almost the whole of it pertains it to the 2.2 Safari>

Has anyone managed to throw a printout / soft copy of this at anyone in Tata yet??

The 2011 new 2.2 Safari's are still feeling like test mules of the 1st batch of 2007. Still full of niggles. So it basically makes no difference whether you bought a Safari in 2007 or in 2011. Nothing mas improved nor changed except for cosmetic upgrades.
Old 5th December 2011, 16:54   #3958
BHPian

I had my brake pads changed over the weekend at Hosur itself. The local automobile shop did have TVS Girling pads for Safari, same part number as shared earlier in this thread.
Cost was Rs.1450.
Took the pads to local TASS, and the SA cheerfully got my pads replaced(though on sidelines he said they usually dont encourage parts from outside).
Labour charge was Rs.650. He also topped up all fluids and did a test drive.
All OK.
My Safari is at 36000kms on the ODO now, and the old pads had some 5000kms still left as per him.

Quote:
The brake pad was sourced from a shop near HBR Layout. TVS Girling original brake pad that is used in safari. I guess the same part is shared with Sumo, so it is not expensive.

Old 5th December 2011, 17:42   #3959
BHPian

I have a question. My original Safari in 2009, I got it with mineral oil. I have changed to synthetic oil in my Safari in 2011 May as I heard it will improve performance. Right now my Safari requires an oil change. Its been 16k kms since last oil change.
Additionally, I have not observed too much change in engine smoothness between synthetic oil and mineral oil. Also, I would prefer changing the oil every 7k kms in mineral oil. This would help in reducing running costs as well as I would be going to servicing much more regularly.
So my question is, is it alright to change from synthetic oil to mineral oil after an oil flush during my next service? Or should I continue using synthetic oil?
Old 5th December 2011, 17:53   #3960
Team-BHP Support

changing back to mineral oil will not give any problems. If you are not the "high rev" kind of driver, and keep rpm at 2000-2500rpm, then go back to mineral oil.
Esp with 7.5K service intervals, mineral oil will do the job just as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks