Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 13:12   #3931
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hey guys, can someone please suggest me what could be ideal kms when the 2.2 need a suspension overhall. Mine just completed 4 yrs and 39 k kms. Last month I was taking suggestions from different mechanic (TASS and local mechanic) about the possible cause of vehicle pulling right on braking?. And one of the mechanic suggested me to go for suspension overhall. He said because of bushes at the end of its life may result in change in vehicle alignment because of hard braking etc. He also showed the back suspension bushes (he put in a long screw driver near the back suspension , and moved the left and right. He said it shouldn't have moved so easily).after TASS did some camper/caster adjustment the pull to right is better now but is still there. I was thinking may be I should go for suspension overhall which may correct the remaining pull. Now my question is if I go for suspension overhall, what all things it includes
- changing bushes?
- any arms etc?
What expenses can I expect?
-expenses for parts?
- labour charges?

Last edited by abbey4u : 28th November 2011 at 13:16.
Old 29th November 2011, 17:46   #3932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Side step:
The Authorized centre or even the local mechanic should be able to isolate the problem easily. A standard petrol Pump wash / lublication service may also solve the problem i.e. only if nothing actually is wrong. But yes if a part has actually failed then the problem will continue. You have not indicated any specific detail that can enable the exact cause to be nailed.
Took the car to two TASS/TASCs.

The problem was due to a bush that came out of its place, so the body was touching the suspension on rough roads. It was fixed. However, they also confirmed that I was soon looking for a suspension work. Left side bush is gone, and the tie rod end and the ball joints could also require replacement soon. Approximate cost Rs. 10k.

My experience with Aadya is not so great. I think they just push for unnecessary replacement and their labor rate is really high. I would stick to Concorde or EMM motors in Bangalore for now.
Old 29th November 2011, 20:21   #3933
BHPian

Hello

Update on my issue

The guys at TASC checked the wires the glow plug but unable to find the problem. They said the problem could be due to faulty sensor but they said they may have to check each wire on the multimeter. Since I had to go back home they told me not to worry and get it done at a TASC near me.

Now to report the problem again

I have a previous history of rat attack on my car already posted in this forum. However once repaired it never gave me any problem

When I went to Karnataka for initial 1500 Kms I had no issues even though car had run almost 600 Kms each day. Right after the accident where the bike busted my right front wheel cap, OVRm the light appeared. It went off on driving the car for some distance.

Observations after that incident as follows

The indicator lamp goes of on initial system check. It appears after the car has run a bit ( maybe when it heats up, though it's nothing to do with the heat indicator as to when it appears)

I noticed it appears mostly when I have to engage the clutch more in low gears

On my return journey to Mumbai and I drove almost 1000kms in a day the light goes of when the car is in overdrive but comes on as I slow it and change gear , for example at Toll booths. The car is running fine and no issues at all.

So what could be the issue. The guys at TASC checked all wires above which were repaired also changed the heat timer or something ( not sure buts it's an part located alongside the under bonnet fuse box) and also checked the sensors under the gear box. They also reset the ECU but the code appeared again which traced it to the heater coil assembly (or something sorry guys no idea)

Now when I go to TASC here what should I tell them ?.

Since the car has run almost 2k after that without any issues should I continue driving and go to TASC as per my schedule as its pain to go to TASC all time as it wastes my day since I am an medical practitioner.?.

Since the light comes up when clutch is engaged more has it got something to do with it. I inquired this with TASC and they answered negative. ?

Please suggest

Regards
Old 29th November 2011, 22:03   #3934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Hey guys, can someone please suggest me what could be ideal kms when the 2.2 need a suspension overhall. Mine just completed 4 yrs and 39 k kms.
On my Safari the suspension became hard and required only replacement of bushes at 60k kms. Front upper and lower arms and rear bushes.
Ball joints, shocks, springs, etc are still going good at 75k kms.
Old 30th November 2011, 09:45   #3935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
A problem with my Safari 3.0L DICOR:

The 'Check engine light' is playing funny games. After every 350-400kms it comes ON, only if I do a non-stop 350-400kms trip (highway) and when I restart the engine it goes off & never comes ON. There has been no change in engine behavior, the car just works fine. I suspect there is a oxygen sensor failure. This happens on every trip and has happened 4-5 times till now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Hello

Update on my issue

The guys at TASC checked the wires the glow plug but unable to find the problem. They said the problem could be due to faulty sensor but they said they may have to check each wire on the multimeter.

I have a previous history of rat attack on my car already posted in this forum. However once repaired it never gave me any problem

Now when I go to TASC here what should I tell them ?.

Please suggest

Regards
Vague intermittent problems are always difficult to solve. It is a process of elimination. Lodhra's 2.2 may have an intermittent fault in the wiring harness which is hard to isolate. Every time they connect the OBD to the ECU, you should note down the error code for reference - at least you/they can identify which section is at fault.
mercedised - If you access to a OBD - and hook it up, you may get an idea where the source of the problem lies.

Check Engine Light - as it comes, does it put you on "limp home mode" or it just lights up with no effect on the engine ?
Old 30th November 2011, 10:09   #3936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

Check Engine Light - as it comes, does it put you on "limp home mode" or it just lights up with no effect on the engine ?
It just lights up with no effect of any kind. Whenever I restart the car after check engine light comes on, the light goes away. And surprisingly the car returns 18 kmpl.
Old 30th November 2011, 11:24   #3937
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Took the car to two TASS/TASCs.

The problem was due to a bush that came out of its place, so the body was touching the suspension on rough roads. It was fixed. However, they also confirmed that I was soon looking for a suspension work. Left side bush is gone, and the tie rod end and the ball joints could also require replacement soon. Approximate cost Rs. 10k.

My experience with Aadya is not so great. I think they just push for unnecessary replacement and their labor rate is really high. I would stick to Concorde or EMM motors in Bangalore for now.
If feel the cost is high you get the work done outside the work done will be as good and the cost will be within 60% of what the authorized guys have quoted. Check it out. I used to get my Safari serviced locally after the warranty period ran out. The Safari suspension is very easy to repair outside. Though for the 2.2 dicor would want to get the work done in the authorized centre at least till it is in warranty. The advantage besides saving some money will probably be that you will not have to stand around while the service advisor opens, closes the job card and you will get the car back sooner. Disadvantage would be that the local garage mechanics can be a bit messy and get the interiors a bit dirty and that they will take only cash and probably not give you a valid bill for the work.

Quote:
It just lights up with no effect of any kind. Whenever I restart the car after check engine light comes on, the light goes away. And surprisingly the car returns 18 kmpl.
You need to report this to the Authorized Centre. The problem could be related to something intermittent like a loose wire / fuse somewhere or something more serious as well. It is probably nothing serious as the light does not remain on but you don't want that (limp mode) happening when you are on a long journey at an inconvenient point of time.

Unfortunately the 2.2 dicor and for that matter all new age CRDI engine and ECU setsups are so complex that finding intermittent faults is hard but is necessary that they be resolved.

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th November 2011 at 13:31. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 13:23   #3938
BHPian

Hello

Prowler my problem is same as mercedised and the car has no running problems. As said I have driven 1000 km at one stretch from Mysore to Kolhapur. The light goes off in overdrive and comes back only when you engage low gear as when you approach toll booths. More importantly this light showed up just after the accident though the bang was on the right side and OVRM. Do you think the bang may have resulted in some wire getting loose, though nothing was found on superficial check.

What's a limp-mode?

Also in mornings the engine light goes off but returns only if engine is driven in low gears

Should I tell them to check the fault which might result in opening the harness and checking each wire. They said if there is any fault they may have to replace entire wiring which leads to another question

Since my wire has been under rat attack and repaired at TASS if the fault is found in a wire which may not have directly linked to attacked wire (since the repaired wires were re he ked without any issue) will it would be covered under warranty

Is it advisable to do this in a perfectly working car. Should I give it a run more for few days/ months and then go to TASS

Help me out friends

Last edited by lodhra : 30th November 2011 at 13:26.
Old 30th November 2011, 14:41   #3939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Hello

Do you think the bang may have resulted in some wire getting loose, though nothing was found on superficial check.

What's a limp-mode?

Help me out friends
It is unlikely that such a minor collision would have resulted in damaging your wiring harness/ system sensors. There is a minor possibility that the damaged OVRM may have shorted connections to the drive motor in the mirror shell which may have caused some damage to the wire feeding the motor.
Unless the error code is noted down, it will be pure speculation. Like I said earlier, you need to find out the culprit from a process of elimination.

Limp mode is - if the Check Engine Light comes on persistently, the ECU tries to protect the Engine by restriction - you can't raise the rpm beyond a fixed limit. The car will run - but it will run slower when the light stays on.

If the problem is intermittent as in your case as well as that of mercedised, you are in normal mode. A serious malfunction or a sensor going kaput will put the car in limp home mode. It won't be reset by shutting the engine and restarting. The error code is stored in non volatile memory of the ECU which can be reset by the TASS people from their laptop through a OBD.

Lodhra - as it is not crippling your car in any way, why not wait some more time - where it manifests more clearly ?
My suggestion is purely on the premise that unless there is a serious problem, visiting TASS results in more serious induced problems.
Old 30th November 2011, 16:56   #3940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Took the car to two TASS/TASCs.The problem was due to a bush that came out of its place, so the body was touching the suspension on rough roads. It was fixed. However, they also confirmed that I was soon looking for a suspension work. Left side bush is gone, and the tie rod end and the ball joints could also require replacement soon. Approximate cost Rs. 10k.My experience with Aadya is not so great. I think they just push for unnecessary replacement and their labor rate is really high. I would stick to Concorde or EMM motors in Bangalore for now.
Even I have a faint "Clunk" noise from the right rear which comes on rough roads at 40+ speeds(sometimes), now looking at your post, seem to think its because of the same reasons. Do you have a picture of the part or can you post the bill copy to determine what was actually replaced for you.

Last edited by dadu : 30th November 2011 at 16:58.
Old 30th November 2011, 18:11   #3941
BHPian

Prowler bro,

Yes I too share your concerns. I was not able to note down the error code but they specifically said the error showed something to do with HEATER assembly. They asked me if I had problems with AC and I said no.

They replaced the glow plug timer ( a blue color part just next to fuse box under the hood) but the light still showed. They reset the ECU but light comes on.

What I have noticed in 2 days and recollecting from my memory is that the light goes of on engine check. It has got NOTHING to do with engine heating as said by TASS as I have seen this light pop up even when engine is cold and go off even when engine is properly heated on it own

One peculiar thing I noticed or now recollect is that whenever I hit a bump the light comes on . I now recollect this light used to go in plain roads but when I approached toll booths over speed breakers or braked due to pot holes the light used to come .

Today too when I ran my car for say 50mts an then when I went over a bump the light popped up. On plain roads it does not pop or even if it has initially in overdrive mode it goes off but comes on as soon as I go over a bump or inclination.

However this could just be my observation

Apart from this I personally do not feel there must be any thing short in the harness. The guys at TASS told me that they may have to open the entire harness and check on multimeter which they themselves admitted might turn to be a futile experiment. They doubt the sensor to be malfunctioning and the mechanic said something about timing of radiator fan and heating that it must have gone haywire but that's a speculation.

I am a bit in two minds because as from my experience every time I have gone to TASS the car has come back with some niggles here and there, but the frequency of light pushes me not to overlook.

The TASS guys and supervisor toledo me that it must be some phantom problem and it will not affect the running of the car. I am not experiencing any limp mode and all functions are absolutely Norma from pickup to AC everything.

Suggestions and possible line of action ?

Last edited by lodhra : 30th November 2011 at 18:16.
Old 30th November 2011, 18:15   #3942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Even I have a faint "Clunk" noise from the right rear which comes on rough roads at 40+ speeds(sometimes), now looking at your post, seem to think its because of the same reasons. Do you have a picture of the part or can you post the bill copy to determine what was actually replaced for you.
They did not charge me anything for the bush. Its a bush that is behind the engine guard bolt. Will post a pic soon.

Looks like these guys are just after making money. there is no noise in my suspension as such. Even 6 months back they asked me to change the bushes, but everything is fine after 6 months and couple of thousands of kms. I drive sedately, and its only about 45k and 5 years since the last suspension work (the car was not used much), so there should not be any reason why the car would require suspension work.

They also changed the timing belt. Apparently there was oil leakage from cam shaft seal which soiled the timing belt. The belt did not appear to be soiled though, so not sure if they just pulled a fast one.
Old 1st December 2011, 11:10   #3943
BHPian

Last month Booster pump for brakes changed in my Safari. I got it changed at TASS. Engine check light cmae and service engineer did some bolt loosning near brake padel and light gone. Also Hose pipe from Turbo charger to Inter cooler was changed as it was damaged with no apparant reason. After that I am feeling that there are vibrations in steering and even in engine more that earlier. RPM needle is around 950. RPM needle was around 900 earlier what i assume. I got it checked at TASS , they are saying these vibrations are normal. But I can clearly feel the difference than earlier. What could be possible reason. I also got ECU reset still no improvement. Pls help.
Old 1st December 2011, 13:12   #3944

Quote:
I have observed this on my 2.2 as well (all symptoms similar - long drives, light on/off, goes away after restarting). The second time it happened was yesterday when I was . I get an average of 15kmpl when this happens. Anyway I am taking it to concorde tomorrow.
j_4_Jeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 15:04   #3945
BHPian

Lodhra Jee. My humble suggestion is drive on. Apparently it is a dry joint or loose connection in one of the sensors. Right now it is intermittent - that is why the ECU just acknowledges the momentary break in the connection and continues with its job.

The momentary break in the connection occurs every time you go over a hump indicating a flexing of some wire. If the TASS people have some patience, they can try running the engine - with OBD hooked and flexing/moving various wires until the fault shows up. But will they do that ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks