Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 13:29   #3916
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi!

During the overhaul of my engine, the TASS mentioned that the Battery ( came with car in 2007 ) is weak ( car did not start during trial ), and needs replacement.

I asked them if the Alternator is ok, and is providing the correct output. Got 'yes' as answer.

How can I check wether the battery is really dead or the alternator is exhibiting early warnings...

All electricals seem to be working fine before the car went for repairs, and car started with a little push.

thanks
Srini
Old 21st November 2011, 13:57   #3917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi!

During the overhaul of my engine, the TASS mentioned that the Battery ( came with car in 2007 ) is weak ( car did not start during trial ), and needs replacement.

I asked them if the Alternator is ok, and is providing the correct output. Got 'yes' as answer.

How can I check wether the battery is really dead or the alternator is exhibiting early warnings...

All electricals seem to be working fine before the car went for repairs, and car started with a little push.

thanks
Srini

You can always tell TASS that you will do it later and you take it out and get inspected by local electrician/battery shop!
Old 21st November 2011, 14:11   #3918
Senior - BHPian

Replies added inline in bold marked with [BJ].

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
1: Hissing of Stearing at full Turns.

[BJ] Normal, but, shouldn't be. Can ignore this. Will not cause harm.

2: These is a dead Zone or Choking zone at 1500 RPM. The engine behaves such that it has no fuel supply between 1500-1600 RPM. Accelerator has to be pressed deaper if i am required to drive at this revolution, to get adequate power out of.
4: There is almost no power from engine upto 1500 RPM. ... Above 1600 RPM it is almost a monster. Great response.

[BJ] Normal characteristic of this 2.2 Vtt engine. Keep it above 1800 rpm and enjoy. Also do not forget to rev the engine above 3000rpm once in a while to flush out carbon deposit- read owner's manual.

... GRUDGE that some people hold against this Beast just because of its looks & its exclusivity. Someone already has made deep scratchs with key or some pointed object on left door...

[BJ] Neighbors envy, owners pride. Imagine the plight of the owner of a black beauty
-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 14:13   #3919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Hello All,

Mine is Sep2010 EX.
Problems i am facing/Noticing are as follows:

1: Hissing of Stearing at full Turns.
This is normal

Quote:
2: These is a dead Zone or Choking zone at 1500 RPM. The engine behaves such that it has no fuel supply between 1500-1600 RPM. Accelerator has to be pressed deaper if i am required to drive at this revolution, to get adequate power out of.
Could be due to million things like bad fuel, choked filters. Try revving enging to 4000rpm when hot to remove soot from Exhaust system and see if it improves things?

Quote:
3: 14 months of purchase & I have already replaced Right front fog lamp 4 times & left twice
Alternator may be giving over voltage. Do check
Quote:
4: There is almost no power from engine upto 1500 RPM. It virtually begs itself to generate power & deliver it to wheels. Does not allows a sudden acceleration, if required. As soon as it crosses 1600 mark, it geneates power significantly. Above 1600 RPM it is almost a monster. Great response.
Its common

Quote:
Remaining performane is awwsome. The biggest drawback of the vehicle is th GRUDGE that some people hold against this Beast just because of its looks & its exclusivity. Someone already has made deep scratchs with key or some pointed object on left door. Will get that repaired soon.
Same here. Problem not exclusive to safari. Many good cars I see have deep scratches.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:31   #3920
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!

thanks
Srini
Battery life is 3 yrs approx, anything above is a bonus. So its time to change. Being winters a weaker battery starts giving problem. My suggestion would be to not fret over it and just change the battery. You would not want to wait for the day when it fails completely and u are stranded in the middle.
Old 24th November 2011, 09:01   #3921
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Recently while searching for some information , got hold of this TATA Safari Parts(Technical) Manual 2.2L Dicor. Pretty detailed stuff. 2008 version.

Link : http://www.amp.su/files/TELCOLINE_2-2L_DICOR.pdf

This Russian site has other tech manuals too.

Last edited by v&v : 24th November 2011 at 09:03.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 13:28   #3922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had a engine failure enroute to Hyderabad, immediately after Buthpur. At about 9:30pm.

Called Tata 24x7, got prompt response but not much help. They put someone from Star Motors Jadcherla on the line, and he said he could not help as his tow truck went to Srisailam. The agent could not help arrange another tow vehicle, so had to call for a flatbed from hyderabad ( 90kms ) away.

Got prompt service from "Jai Chaitanya Crane services". Found on justdial.

Moved the vehicle to Tejaswi motors hitec city. Found that:

- The water pump failed
- Leading to timing belt breaking
- and damaging the camshafts
- and a cracked head.

Trying to get Extended warranty. Fingers crossed. 5 days for it to expire!

Question:
- What kind of expense can i expect ?
- What will the extended warranty cover ?
- If the head is replaced, does the car need to be run-in again ?
- Any thing else that should be checked ?

Hyd TBHPians : Any experience with Tejaswi motors ? any contacts I can speak to there ?

thanks
Srini
Got the car back from TASS today.

The following were replaced:

- Water Pump
- Tensioner
- Timing belt with covers
- oil sump gasket
- Cylinder head with injectors
- Oil filter
- clutch assy with release bearing
- sedimentor
- Battery

Total bill including some denting work and battery is INR 93000 of which Extended warranty covered 53000/-. Apparently clutch is not covered in extended warranty ( only upto 30,000 kms ).

Please keep all TAX invoices for repairs done under Extended warranty. They are needed if you happen to move between service centers and you need to replace the same parts under part warranty ( 6mths ).

Fingers crossed and reclaiming continues.. will be driving back to bangalore this weekend.

After the initial hiccups regarding the extended warranty and part warranty, the experience with Tejaswi motors was quite good. .

Getting the required parts took quite a bit of time.

cheers!
Old 24th November 2011, 22:35   #3923
Senior - BHPian

Spoken too soon I guess..

30min after i parked in my office basement, the security called to say that the car was leaking diesel!!

There was a leak on the left side of the engine ( towards the air filter ). One rubber pipe had ruptured and was gloriously leaking fuel.

Immediately took it back to Tejaswi motors, and they fixed a new rubber pipe to fix the problem. After this I drove the car back home and by the time I reached home, the pipe split again.

Can someone help confirm if this is the fuel return line ?

Also I observed that there was a lot of pressure in the fuel tank when this happened ( mech suspected something and opened the fuel cap ). It opened with a 'whoosh' sound. while there is some pressure, this did not sound normal.

Is it a problem with the fuel line ?

Is parking or driving up / down a ramp causing some pressure problem somewhere in the fuel lines ?

Experts any suggestions what could be the problem ? Fuel pump ?

thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 23:18   #3924
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to this thread, found a parts manual for 2.2 dicor and read thru some old threads that describe the back leak test.

The pipe that burst is the back leak hose. will confirm with the mech tomorrow.

So it could either be a problem with a clogged injector / calibration of the ECU post injector change.

will ask them to do a back leak test.

cheers!
Old 25th November 2011, 13:10   #3925
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Smsrini - The fuel tank as an exit valve / outlet to release air pressure. It seems blocked.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 21:56   #3926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Smsrini - The fuel tank as an exit valve / outlet to release air pressure. It seems blocked.
You are right on spot. This was the culprit followed by a wrong nozzle used for one injector's return line.

thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 17:04   #3927
BHPian

My safari is making some strange sound sometimes while going over rough roads. It is coming from the front side.

The noise does not seem to be from suspension. I have tried driving it over rough roads, but there is no noise.

The sound is like when you go at 15-20 kmph over small potholes in the road so that the tires do fall below in the potholes but the height of the car does not change or nothing is felt in the cabin. Sorry if it was not very clear. But the sound is not audible if I drive the car at 5-10 kmph or at higher speed.

Please suggest. Could this be a problem with engine mount? There is no problem otherwise with the car. No extraordinary vibration at any rpm. The suspension was checked a month or so back during service and they did not tell us anything.

Also, I need side steps for my safari. The service center is quoting about Rs. 5.5k. Any ideas on where could I get it cheaper in Bangalore? I am also open for used good quality footsteps.

Last edited by sumannandy : 27th November 2011 at 17:07.
Old 28th November 2011, 11:32   #3928
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
My safari is making some strange sound sometimes while going over rough roads. It is coming from the front side.

The noise does not seem to be from suspension. I have tried driving it over rough roads, but there is no noise.

The sound is like when you go at 15-20 kmph over small potholes in the road so that the tires do fall below in the potholes but the height of the car does not change or nothing is felt in the cabin. Sorry if it was not very clear. But the sound is not audible if I drive the car at 5-10 kmph or at higher speed.

Please suggest. Could this be a problem with engine mount? There is no problem otherwise with the car. No extraordinary vibration at any rpm. The suspension was checked a month or so back during service and they did not tell us anything.

Also, I need side steps for my safari. The service center is quoting about Rs. 5.5k. Any ideas on where could I get it cheaper in Bangalore? I am also open for used good quality footsteps.
Side step:

Had got mine for Rs. 4.5K (from Lamington road market in mumbai where parts are about 10% cheaper than in authorized centre) (current Safari original black and grey side step) about 3 years back. fixing had cost another Rs. 600 - outside as the nuts from previously fitted side step had to be cut / welded out as they had rotted in the holes that are orginally provided with the car. If the holes are free the fitting should be done for Rs. 300 max.

considering the above feel that Rs. 5.5 K is OK in the Authorized Centre, and if it includes fitting and taxes nothing like it, else All Inclusive for Rs. 6K should also be OK.

Front Noise: Sorry but you have really not been clear. It appears that the sound is Not continuous and not a humming sound (that one hears when driving with windows down on roads with high centre dividers. - That would have been the bearing.

Engine Mount problems normally result in increased vibration so that should not be the problem.

It could be that you need to get the suspension just greased as certain parts do tend to "Creak / Squeak" when not lubricated and pressured beyound a certain point.

The Authorized centre or even the local mechanic should be able to isolate the problem easily. A standard petrol Pump wash / lublication service may also solve the problem i.e. only if nothing actually is wrong. But yes if a part has actually failed then the problem will continue. You have not indicated any specific detail that can enable the exact cause to be nailed.
Old 28th November 2011, 12:43   #3929
Senior - BHPian

A problem with my Safari 3.0L DICOR:

The 'Check engine light' is playing funny games. After every 350-400kms it comes ON, only if I do a non-stop 350-400kms trip (highway) and when I restart the engine it goes off & never comes ON. There has been no change in engine behavior, the car just works fine. I suspect there is a oxygen sensor failure. This happens on every trip and has happened 4-5 times till now.

Last edited by mercedised : 28th November 2011 at 12:44.
Old 28th November 2011, 12:52   #3930
BHPian

hello

today I went to Tasc worli to get my ovrm replaced. One more issue was with reference to my accident as soon as the accident happened the glow indicator lamp came on

the lamp turns of on engine start but comes on running
I thought it must be due to broken ovrm
today on checking the found the source to heater plug something

i have run the car for 1500 kms after that accident with indicator coming of and on but no issue

now problem is they are not able to trace it
they have replaced glow plug checked wires but it does not go
they say it turns on only when engine heats up and asked me if i had any AC issues to which i said car is all fine no issues

now they say they would change the sensor and see

i am worried all this rnd may not ruin my perfect running car

whats your opinion

Last edited by lodhra : 28th November 2011 at 13:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks