Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 11:18   #376
Team-BHP Support

When headlights are on, only then will rear fog lamps come on. You have to press the switch for couple of seconds, unlike front fog lamp switch which is on and off.
Red light scatter is least, thats why brake lights etc., are red, even in fog they can be visible from the farthest.
The main use of fog lamps is not for your visiblity, but for the visiblity of the other guy.
Old 8th December 2008, 11:21   #377
Team-BHP Support

At the 7500kms service(not in the schedule, but I wanted it done before my himachal trip), Autolinks guys made a discovery. The 4x4 was not engaging. They said that earlier it may have been engaging occasionally, but at this point of time, it was not engaging at all. So I actually did a lot of stretches in Rajasthan just on the basis of LSD. The GM of the workshop told me that due to LSD, the safari seldom gets stuck unless its a very tricky slush kind of situation.

They thoroughly checked the system, and fixed the "alignment" of the pin which goes in, and now its fine.
Old 8th December 2008, 11:52   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Why should I poke fun at you, baba? That was the explanation given to me by the Tata guys when I took delivery of my vehicle, and I have no reason to disbelieve them (I don't use a reversing camera) - it was not an illogical explanation. :red face: If they gave a BS explanation, grrrrr....

Red and blue are the least visible of the colors in fog - yellow is the most; drive in fog and you will know. And were it to be a fog lamp, why couple it with the reverse gear? For rainy conditions, the normal tail light cluster is good enough, including the rather bright white reversing light. But when there are very few visual clues thrown up by white light as sensed by the reversing camera, infra-red and red helps.
i dont know why they gave you such a wierd explanation.
just do a simple thing, try removing any one of the red covers, you will find a bulb inside, no infra red beams. most of the cars have a rear fog light. this activates not when you are reversing, but by the switch in the dashboard.
Old 8th December 2008, 11:55   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Why should I poke fun at you, baba?
Because I thought I was asking too many questions, it's kewl though since you werent poking fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerALte View Post
That was the explanation given to me by the Tata guys when I took delivery of my vehicle, and I have no reason to disbelieve them (I don't use a reversing camera) - it was not an illogical explanation. :red face: If they gave a BS explanation, grrrrr....
Typical car sales people. Little knowledge of the product they are actually selling. Slightly OT - I was told by a Sales Manager at my local Honda dealer (here in US) who employs some of the most clueless sales people I have come accross that they prefer that sales people not know too much about their product, as sometimes those who do know much start giving advice and opinions which may not be in dealers favor. I remember shopping for a prelude when one of them claimed that it was a v6 LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerALte View Post
Red and blue are the least visible of the colors in fog - yellow is the most; drive in fog and you will know. And were it to be a fog lamp, why couple it with the reverse gear? For rainy conditions, the normal tail light cluster is good enough, including the rather bright white reversing light. But when there are very few visual clues thrown up by white light as sensed by the reversing camera, infra-red and red helps.

PS: Thanks, Tanvir, must try it sometime. The last time I tried on my vehicle, it switched on only when the reverse gear was engaged.
The rear fogs on some Euro brand cars are generally red.

Last edited by GhettoMAX : 8th December 2008 at 12:01. Reason: Error in the last sentence.
Old 8th December 2008, 14:54   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
The rear fogs on some Euro brand cars are generally red.
Possible explanation: White, yellow and amber are 'vague' colours in that you cannot be certain, in poor visibility conditions, which end of a vehicle you are looking at!
Red is the only colour not thus far used on the front end of any vehicle!
Old 8th December 2008, 16:19   #381
Team-BHP Support

Its actually very simple, In fog, the red light of same intensity will be visible from the farthest
Old 8th December 2008, 17:35   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its actually very simple, In fog, the red light of same intensity will be visible from the farthest
The particles in fog-- water vapor-- do not scatter any colors preferentially. If they did, then fog wouldn't look white, it would look blue....
This would be interesting! Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy: Mad Science
Old 8th December 2008, 17:43   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When headlights are on, only then will rear fog lamps come on. You have to press the switch for couple of seconds, unlike front fog lamp switch which is on and off.
Just to add - the front fogs also need to be on, not just the headlights. Else the rear fogs switch will not activate, even if you keep it pressed.
Old 8th December 2008, 17:46   #384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Just to add - the front fogs also need to be on, not just the headlights. Else the rear fogs switch will not activate, even if you keep it pressed.
Nope - the rear fogs can be switched on (independent of the front fogs) if the main headlights are on.
Old 8th December 2008, 17:59   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
Guys a few technical questions on the 2.2, please forgive if any have been previously answered x amount of times.

2) Several times I have seen emergency/hazard lights blinking on several Safari's when parked and doors are open, the lights seem to turn off when the doors are shut is this a OE or an Aftermarket add-on feature. I know this feature was not on my old Safari.
These come as part of the after market remote locking systems like Minda, Autocop etc. I guess with all the remote locking systems
Old 9th December 2008, 09:16   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
Dadu, I believe the 2.2 VTT does have electronic throttle control. If you look closely at the accelerator pedal you will see that it is connected to a position sensor with wires emanating from it. There is no accelerator cable.
Righto, it does have a TBW, I thought they would give this only with higher models.
Old 9th December 2008, 09:22   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Nope - the rear fogs can be switched on (independent of the front fogs) if the main headlights are on.
Definitely not in my 3 litre - the switch engages only when the front fog lamp switch is on. Mentioned in the manual too.........
Old 9th December 2008, 10:23   #388
Team-BHP Support

Thats funny, in my 2.2 I tried yesterday, and I could switch on rear fogs with headlights on, front fogs were off!
Old 9th December 2008, 23:16   #389
BHPian

Yet another AC fuse blow up issue

Not sure when the AC fuse decided to blow up, but the ride back home for me was a "BISI" (hot in Kannada lingo) one on the busy roads of B'lore tonight.
Located the 25A fuse, and yes there IS a plastic plier in the fuse relay box. Used it to replace the blown fuse with a spare one located within the box. Wondering if i should buy a kilo of each of the ratings available, hehe. Frankly, it's not possible to drive with the glass rolled up and AC fuse blown. The glass get foggy in no time with the blower on.

Another issue i'm facing since about a fortnight is some "underbody" part, possibly located "around" the region of the driver's seat, often makes contact with speed breakers. Any guesses, anyone? Also, sadly, the hunch is that it has appeared after the casual 6 month visit to the Service Centre. Revisiting them during this weekend should hopefully help.
Old 10th December 2008, 00:13   #390
Team-BHP Support

Do you hear khat? Its the idler arm, just get it tightened

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks