Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:58   #3856
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
Anybody know a good mechanic for a 3.0l Dicor other than TASS in Gurgaon/Delhi NCR?
My friend's upto his gills (as if) with the incompetent TASS and doesn't want to sell his Safari either. He's willing to invest in it and rid it of all problems for some times to come.
I hate to say it, but Autolinks, vasant kunj/ Rama rd is good with Safari. They sometimes go overboard in changing things, and also labor/parts cost is high, but they usually solve the problem, or are willing to relook incase the issue is not solved. If your friend is willing to invest, would suggest to try it out. My local mechanic is in Begampur - Prem - 9891175066, he is fine, know him for more than 15 yrs. His best part is if he would not understand something he would not touch it, so that ways can be relied upon. Your friend can get him do some basic stuff, and more complicated things, go to autolinks.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:15   #3857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
I hate to say it, but Autolinks, vasant kunj/ Rama rd is good with Safari. They sometimes go overboard in changing things, and also labor/parts cost is high, but they usually solve the problem, or are willing to relook incase the issue is not solved. If your friend is willing to invest, would suggest to try it out. My local mechanic is in Begampur - Prem - 9891175066, he is fine, know him for more than 15 yrs. His best part is if he would not understand something he would not touch it, so that ways can be relied upon. Your friend can get him do some basic stuff, and more complicated things, go to autolinks.
Thanks for the info. Infact even v&v recommended the place. My friend get's the vehicle serviced at Autolink's Gurgaon facility. But of late, that place has become over crowded with the taxis they cater too. Personal vehicles are left in a limbo, whether you know the service advisor or not.
Old 4th November 2011, 10:09   #3858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Learned another lesson

If you dont have EW, go to your friendly workshop ! Just paid 7500Rs as labor charge for 90k service and some work!

Total bill at 22k approx.
The bill from Mohandas Motors; the 90k service.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2567081

Quote:
Wont all this be changed (master + slave) during a full clutch replacement?

Else, how much would it cost for slave/master cylinder replacement?

Some luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, I think the full clutch set does include master and slave cylinders, but cost including labor would be around 15000 I think.
Again, not sure!
Old bill showing how much I paid for clutch replacement

Clutch issue was back as was expected and hence got master cylinder changed. 2k for part and 400rs for labour.

I also got the fogs lamps fixed for 120Rs ( Mohandas Motors wanted to change both fog lamp kits to fix it! ).

smsrini ! Lucky that you have EW! Keep us posted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tata_safari_scan0001.pdf (701.2 KB, 715 views)

Last edited by jkdas : 4th November 2011 at 10:11.
Old 4th November 2011, 10:30   #3859
BHPian

The 3L safari is not a happy car doing 60 in 5th . The whole car resonates as if urging you to downshift. My rule is shift to 5th at 80 and above. As a thumb rule, keep the revs in 4th and 5th above 1500 to have a quiet and smooth ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
1) No mine is 4x2 moreover the sound only comes as if one is in lower gear, for e.g @60kmph the car is at 1-1.1K rpm and thus a ghrr-ghrrr noise does'nt allows me to carry-on 60kmph in 5th gear. I got the drive-shaft checked and mechanics say that it is fine.
trance_nut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 11:34   #3860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
The 3L safari is not a happy car doing 60 in 5th . The whole car resonates as if urging you to downshift. My rule is shift to 5th at 80 and above. As a thumb rule, keep the revs in 4th and 5th above 1500 to have a quiet and smooth ride.
Thanks for the much needed reply. I have a few more things which needs tobe clarified:

1) What's the expected life of clutch for 3L, I have read on this forum that the clutch life is not more than 30K kms?

2) Have you ever changed the injectors or serviced them? How to make sure that they last long enough, I have just serviced all the injectors @ 65K kms due to excessive smoke and knocking problem.
Old 4th November 2011, 12:01   #3861
BHPian

Quote:
1) What's the expected life of clutch for 3L, I have read on this forum that the clutch life is not more than 30K kms?
Mine lasted more than 70K kms and could have gone more had I not got stuck at God forsaken place and burnt it !!

Quote:
2) Have you ever changed the injectors or serviced them? How to make sure that they last long enough, I have just serviced all the injectors @ 65K kms due to excessive smoke and knocking problem.
Haven't changed the injectors so far on the two 3L Dicors that I have owned so far and both have done more that 1 Lakh kms each. I believe that if you get the fuel from a reputed pump and once in a while use additives like System D Extra the Injectors should have no problem.
Dragonov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 13:43   #3862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

smsrini ! Lucky that you have EW! Keep us posted.
2 days and still doing the rounds of Extended Warranty approvals.. Heard a new term called Parts Warranty - any parts changed under EW earlier, are covered for 6 months under Parts Warranty ??? and the dealer/ service center that did the repairs needs to replenish stock. DUH!. Dont all parts come from Tata ?
Old 4th November 2011, 15:42   #3863
BHPian

@lodhra:

1. Yes. You can use that oil.

2. Distilled water is enough. You are unlikely to attempt draining the coolant and filling it afresh on a 4000 km journey.

3. Your original type Brake oil and Power steering oil can be carried.

4. If the pack is opened, they have a limited shelf life (less than 6 months). If sealed pack, shelf life is about one year.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 22:07   #3864
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Sudden peoblem cropped up since today afternoon. Safari was overheating, but engine bay is cool ie wrong indication.

Now the problem finally observed is once safari reaches normal temperature, radiator fan both switches ON and remains on. The guage shows overheating but actually its not happening.

Tomorrow will get it checked at ASC.

Is to do with CTS?
Old 4th November 2011, 22:14   #3865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Sudden peoblem cropped up since today afternoon. Safari was overheating, but engine bay is cool ie wrong indication.

Now the problem finally observed is once safari reaches normal temperature, radiator fan both switches ON and remains on. The guage shows overheating but actually its not happening.

Is to do with CTS?
Yes, it might be a thermostat switch gone bad, recently the fan of my Indica was working continuously even at cold start which finally was diagnosed tobe as a bad thermostat switch.
Old 6th November 2011, 10:29   #3866
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Is to do with CTS?
Overheating and non overheating engine may have only 2-3 degree water temp difference (eg 95 degree C vs 100 degree C). When you say engine bay is cold.... I am confused.
Anyways check whether there is water in radiator. Does the service light come on?
Old 6th November 2011, 12:43   #3867
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Overheating and non overheating engine may have only 2-3 degree water temp difference (eg 95 degree C vs 100 degree C). When you say engine bay is cold.... I am confused.
Anyways check whether there is water in radiator. Does the service light come on?
When i say cold means i can touch and hold radiator, its just warm. It is due to continous running of both fan. They dont stop once it start. It only stops when you switch off, that too after a minute.

Now the latest update after complete checkup autolink vasant kunj, is the problem disappeared as of now but the new problem as arised of coolent leak.

This is not from front, but dripping from shield of gearbox.

Now the funny part is when enquired about the problem they told it was due to some air pocket created and CTS acted upon this. They also said there is no coolent leak.

Service light didnt came on. Coolant level was normal.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-051120111570.jpg

This photo is at 8 pm at my residence after a run of 15 kms.

Last edited by v&v : 6th November 2011 at 13:05.
Old 6th November 2011, 13:56   #3868
Team-BHP Support

See, this is the problem. You do not have coolant. So radiator cannot heat up. It feels warm only.
If its leaking, how can they say there is not leak!!?
Old 6th November 2011, 14:49   #3869
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
See, this is the problem. You do not have coolant. So radiator cannot heat up. It feels warm only.
If its leaking, how can they say there is not leak!!?
Earlier i had checked the level, it was ok. Coolant was never low any time during the whole events.
The current issue has only happened yesterday after A.S.S return.

will again have take it to Autolink.
Old 6th November 2011, 17:29   #3870
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Earlier i had checked the level, it was ok. Coolant was never low any time during the whole events.
The current issue has only happened yesterday after A.S.S return.

will again have take it to Autolink.
How did you check the level?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks