Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 18:01   #3811
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

you are right...then it has to be either the speed sensor or a loose contact...ECU must have recorded a fault anyways so wish you a lucky trip to TASS
Old 19th October 2011, 15:15   #3812
BHPian

Safari eating rear tiers?

Dadu, jk dada, tsk and all other Safariens,

I have noticed the following problems in my Safari 2.2 LX August 2009, done 39K, entirely self-driven.

1. Recently I have noticed that rear tiers (inner 20% width of each) of my Safari is unusually getting worn-out while rest of the rear and both front tiers are perfectly fine!! They look fresh and as good as new! I have the habit of cheeking tiers, and I am sure this has started recently only. So, is it a wheel alignment and wheel-balancing problem? or something else?
I have had tires rotated once at 28K when changed front brake pads.

2. An unusual sound comes up when releasing the clutch pedal. It feels from the pedal only. What could be it? No problems in shifting gears or any clutch-plate related problem like reduction of power etc... All that is fine.

3. The 'perennial & patented' Safari problem of feeling uneasy engine smell, meaning entry of engine air into cabin, and thus, reduced cooling has again cropped-up. It was fixed earlier too by TASS by properly closing some AC vents inside central console.

4. Nothing to mention about usual 'free-gifts' that come up with a Safari (or any Tata car for that matter) like popping up of this plastic or that one!!

However, I have had no issues with engine, power, pick-up, etc..

5. Lastly, Is it perfectly fine to go for service at scheduled periods/mileage under normal driving conditions? or doing it early (say at every 10K) would increase engine life?
What to do in a situation when one is nearing a schedule service and has to take a long drive that will be completed well within the scheduled mileage limits for service? - 1. Go with general check-up and oil/liquids top-ups, and get it serviced on completion of prescribed kms/time; OR 2. Get an early service done voluntarily (Because, here local TASS says they'll undertake scheduled service at the prescribed time only, NOT early).

Having said all that, I have no regrets in having bought this super head-turner called Safari!
Old 19th October 2011, 16:39   #3813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post

1. Get alignment/balancing checked. Rotate tyres every 5 or 7.5k. Never had tyres issue or have read about it in new gen Tatas.

2. When in idle ( when not driving) too right?

3. Check faulty blower/ dirt in blower/ recycle

Having said all that, I have no regrets in having bought this super head-turner called Safari!
1. Get alignment/balancing checked. Rotate tyres every 5 or 7.5k. Never had tyres issue or have read about it in new gen Tatas.

5: Just get 15k service done in time if you dont do too much in city drives. Do the pending service early if you need to /or if you will cross a lot of odo during the tour. And doing service in time helps with warranty.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 18:12   #3814
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post

Dadu, jk dada, tsk and all other Safariens,

I have noticed the following problems in my Safari 2.2 LX August 2009, done 39K, entirely self-driven.

1. Recently I have noticed that rear tiers (inner 20% width of each) of my Safari is unusually getting worn-out while rest of the rear and both front tiers are perfectly fine!! They look fresh and as good as new! I have the habit of cheeking tiers, and I am sure this has started recently only. So, is it a wheel alignment and wheel-balancing problem? or something else?
I have had tires rotated once at 28K when changed front brake pads.
Get the rear suspension checked. Alignment is usually done only on the front end. I think your camber may be out(again rare occurance)
Quote:
2. An unusual sound comes up when releasing the clutch pedal. It feels from the pedal only. What could be it? No problems in shifting gears or any clutch-plate related problem like reduction of power etc... All that is fine.
Is it like a spring squeak? Spray some WD40
Quote:
3. The 'perennial & patented' Safari problem of feeling uneasy engine smell, meaning entry of engine air into cabin, and thus, reduced cooling has again cropped-up. It was fixed earlier too by TASS by properly closing some AC vents inside central console.
Car perfume is the only solution. After fixing, this problem will come back after a few 100kms. Safari is designed to make you one with the elements
Quote:
4. Nothing to mention about usual 'free-gifts' that come up with a Safari (or any Tata car for that matter) like popping up of this plastic or that one!!
Duct tape
Quote:
However, I have had no issues with engine, power, pick-up, etc..
Go and thank your favorite diety
Quote:
5. Lastly, Is it perfectly fine to go for service at scheduled periods/mileage under normal driving conditions? or doing it early (say at every 10K) would increase engine life?
Its a safari. I would recommend to follow service manual strictly. If you do service every 10K, later they can come back and say, you did service at 40K and 50K but missed your 45K service, which is required, so warranty will not be honoured. So why take risk. Nothing will happen to engine do not worry. And by the time it happens, the entire vehicle would have already disintegrated.(250,000kms+)
Quote:
What to do in a situation when one is nearing a schedule service and has to take a long drive that will be completed well within the scheduled mileage limits for service? - 1. Go with general check-up and oil/liquids top-ups, and get it serviced on completion of prescribed kms/time; OR 2. Get an early service done voluntarily (Because, here local TASS says they'll undertake scheduled service at the prescribed time only, NOT early).
Take it within 100-200kms, they will take it. They do this circus only for free services, for paid services, you can go even 500kms early.
Quote:
Good for you!
Old 19th October 2011, 18:14   #3815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
you are right...then it has to be either the speed sensor or a loose contact...ECU must have recorded a fault anyways so wish you a lucky trip to TASS
It was the speed sensor. Cable was loose and there was some rust/debris. they cleaned it FOC, and now the problem is not there. However, I need to drive some more
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 10:14   #3816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Get the rear suspension checked. Alignment is usually done only on the front end. I think your camber may be out(again rare occurance)

Is it like a spring squeak? Spray some WD40

I would recommend to follow service manual strictly.
Thanks Jk dada and Tanveer bhai.

Yes, checking rear suspension also makes sense.

Yes, in clutch pedal, it sounds like a spring squeak only. Giving it tomorrow to TASC.
Old 21st October 2011, 00:53   #3817
Senior - BHPian

Today, the 'check engine' light came On when I was driving. There was no unusual behavior from the engine or anything else. I parked the car safely, shut-off it and started again. The check engine light went away and never came ON. What might be the cause? I am new to Tata electricals.
Old 21st October 2011, 11:03   #3818
BHPian

The check engine light issue had happened a couple of times for my truck too. Took the truck to TASS and they mentioned it could be due to a clogged CatCon.

I was advised to rev the engine to 3k RPM (while at neutral and at optimum engine temperature) at regular intervals to dislodge the accumulated soot and I have been doing that since the last couple of months. Its never happened after that.
Kairalee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 12:08   #3819
BHPian

I just changed my tyres to wider 255 ones, what should be the tyre pressure? Should it be same at 235 tyres?
Old 24th October 2011, 13:32   #3820
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari's internal FM antenna is worst. Not catching all FM receptions strongly.

Has anybody changed from internal antenna to some external antenna?

What are the options available for this? I generally tune to FM while in city.
Old 24th October 2011, 13:36   #3821
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Tata Safari's internal FM antenna is worst. Not catching all FM receptions strongly.

Has anybody changed from internal antenna to some external antenna?

What are the options available for this? I generally tune to FM while in city.
Do you have a reverse camera installed in your vehicle?
Old 24th October 2011, 14:38   #3822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have a reverse camera installed in your vehicle?
No, I don't have reverse camera. I have reverse sensor which is fitted on dashboard extreme left side (Far from antenna). I have Pioneer 5250 HU in my Safari.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:46   #3823
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No, I don't have reverse camera. I have reverse sensor which is fitted on dashboard extreme left side (Far from antenna). I have Pioneer 5250 HU in my Safari.
Does not matter, what matters is whether the sensor cable goes along the antenna to HU cable(this goes through left side).
If so, try removing power to the reverse sensor, and see if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
I just changed my tyres to wider 255 ones, what should be the tyre pressure? Should it be same at 235 tyres?
Tire pressure will remain same (32 approx)
Old 24th October 2011, 14:55   #3824
BHPian

Quote:
I do not know, if this is usefull but TSK's questions are in the right direction.

An Analogy:
A friend of mine has a Lx and had fitted an after market security device (AutoCop). The installer has taken the power from the ignition switch by somehow using the same terminal to stuff the live wire of the Autocop (No cutting of wires was the buzzword). This had resulted in the vehicle shutting down suddenly. A very detailed study resulted in the above discovery.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:59   #3825
BHPian

Quote:
Tire pressure will remain same (32 approx)
Tyre pressure recommended are: 32 PSI - Front and 35 - Rear.

Under inflation though making the ride smoother may lead to cracking of tyre sidewall, as the tyre ages.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks