Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 14:04   #3796
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

The cylinders are touched only if there is a problem with them. The clutch set including the clutch plate, pressure plate, bearing etc + labour comes to around 11K for the 3L and there is a 500/- variation plus or minus for the 2.2L.
The cylinders together are around 2K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, I think the full clutch set does include master and slave cylinders, but cost including labor would be around 15000 I think.
Again, not sure!
Old 5th October 2011, 20:03   #3797
Senior - BHPian

Does anybody know the reserve fuel tank capacity of Tata Safari? Just wanted to know because today when the fuel meter was showing "E" (the needle was at 25% of the red-band), I filled 10 ltrs diesel and still the fuel meter was just at the edge of redband (where the reserve starts).
Old 5th October 2011, 21:21   #3798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
...the needle was at 25% of the red-band), I filled 10 ltrs diesel and still the fuel meter was just at the edge of redband ...
Have you seen elephant feeding? Give him 10 kgs veggie and he is still hungry. Liken that to Safari Jokes apart reserve capacity is somewhere between 12-15L (assume 10L for safety). Fuel indicator takes time to wake up and nudge to a new point. Have patience after switching on the ignition. You have roughly 20L in tank and full capacity is 65 liters,but, this indicator is hugely inaccurate. Read more here HowStuffWorks "How Fuel Gauges Work" why it is slow to indicate.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 5th October 2011 at 21:28. Reason: corrected fuel tank capacity
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 21:25   #3799
BHPian

HI,
I Have Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX, which was bought on march 2008, and has done about 60,000 km and due for the last free service, there are certain issues with the vehicle, which the Tata service center is yet to fix , which was reported when the vehicle had done around 50,000 km.apart from that i am extremely happy with the vehicle performance , I love my Safari and i intend to keep it forever ,

the problems are:

1. The engine is making too much noise ( compared to the similar aged safari ) the vehicle does not have enough pick up , driving on even a small gradient require 1 st gear and engine makes huge noise ( even with only driver in the vehicle) , whereas i could go in the same gradient in second gear with 5 people earlier. My vehicle idle RPM is around 850 ( it used to be 1000)

2. when the vehicle is driven for about 30-50 km i hear a sound like a metal spring [ Trrrrrrr.. hard to describe in words ] which is around 2000 rpm .
could be heard at the engine bay in-front of steering and this is only when i push the accelerator pedal , ( but the turbo is working i can feel the power surge)

Tata service center did thorough check up and they said they checked each and every part in the engine bay , they doubted it could be a fuel injection pump related issue, they got it checked with Bosch , and it was reported as some nozzle problem and they got the entire fuel injection pump replaced under extended warranty ,

to get these things done i had to give my vehicle several times to the service center at the cost of my time ,

but the problem is still there, i kept going to the service center reporting that the problem is still not solved and now they are saying that they cant continue on working this issue until they get the money from the extended warranty , bec if there is any other problem in the vehicle they cant get the claim !

yesterday i had been to Red rooster performance in Bangalore to check spider tuning box and other add ons available for my safari , and i told them about the "low pick up" and "Trrr sound" they took a test drive and said its the problem of clutch bearing and flywheel , turbo is working fine and asked me to tell Tata people to get it fixed

since the last service is due i want this problem to be fixed , i spoke to the service engineer at Tata, but he totally ruled out what Red rooster performance people suggested

and now he can get the service done but cant promise to fix the problem as the money it still due from the extended warranty dept, I insisted him to give me the mail ids and phone no of the people who are responsible for this so that i can talk to them but i was told that he 'll talk to his manager and let me know about it ,

I have booked my 4th service on coming Wednesday (12 th Oct 2011)

I am totally stuck and confused ! now its already about 10,000 km driving with this problem
and this last 10 k km the drive was not at all enjoyable because of the above problem, Also I cant stop driving and cant continue to drive with this problem !

my extended warranty will end on march 2012 ,

I would request fellow bhp ians if they have any solutions / suggestions
thanks regards

Avanish
Old 8th October 2011, 23:51   #3800
Senior - BHPian

A problem encountered:

Today, when on highway suddenly a noise 'Klank' came. I puchsed on to side and checked the vehicle, everything was alright. Now, I got back into vehicle and turned the steering and started accelerating, I suspected something abnormal, checked the vehicle again and voila!! One wheel was not turning at all, only the driver-side wheel was turning. I checked beneath the car and some kind of nut which helps in pushing and pulling of wheel inside or outside when turning was broken.

EDIT: I suspect tie-rod breakage, anything that relates the ALLOY wheels (-10 offset with stock tyres) fitted on my car to this incident?

Last edited by mercedised : 8th October 2011 at 23:58.
Old 10th October 2011, 08:31   #3801
BHPian

hi,
I came across with the Scorpio thread where there was a simple test to check the clutch plate life.

"Find a steep slope (the 45 degree types), engage first gear, turn AC on and then let the car climb up WITHOUT touching the accelerator. If it does without any stalling, you can presume that your CP is OK."

I did this test in the same slope/gradient which i mentioned earlier , my safari climbs without any problem!

I assume the clutch plate is fine as told by the Tata service engineer, and the service engineer at tata (KH motors brookefield/whitefield) assured me that since the job card is not closed even if the warranty closes they can still get the coverage for this issue, which is a good sign

anyone has encountered the problems which i have mentioned earlier, please suggest solutions

regards
avanish
Old 10th October 2011, 09:20   #3802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I think the full clutch set does include master and slave cylinders, but cost including labor would be around 15000 I think.
Again, not sure!
Think I paisd 11k-ish when I changed it at 60k. Will check my thread and update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
The cylinders are touched only if there is a problem with them. The clutch set including the clutch plate, pressure plate, bearing etc + labour comes to around 11K for the 3L and there is a 500/- variation plus or minus for the 2.2L.
The cylinders together are around 2K.
1800 for slave and 2200 for master IRC and job would cost approx 4k! This was told to me by Mohandas Motors .

Felt cheated by them, will post details later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Have you seen elephant feeding? Give him 10 kgs veggie and he is still hungry. Liken that to Safari Jokes apart reserve capacity is somewhere between 12-15L (assume 10L for safety). Fuel indicator takes time to wake up and nudge to a new point. Have patience after switching on the ignition. You have roughly 20L in tank and full capacity is 65 liters,but, this indicator is hugely inaccurate. Read more here HowStuffWorks "How Fuel Gauges Work" why it is slow to indicate.

-BJ
Thought 7k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
HI,

regards
avanish
Dude! get all work done within EW period ! Labour charge is with TASS !

And 3 smileys per post.
Old 10th October 2011, 12:30   #3803
BHPian

Hi,

Yesterday, after returning from a long drive, I noticed a strange sound while turning the steering. It sounds like the door hinges of an old door, which is not oiled. The sound comes only when i turn clockwise (towards right). I am a bit scared and want to know how serious this could be. I am not prepared for a breakdown in the middle of the road... Please help if any of you had encountered similar problem in the past.

Note: I am well aware of the klunk sound. What i am experiencing now is totally different.
Old 10th October 2011, 14:27   #3804
BHPian

3 days back while returning from office, I felt that brake padel was down and i have to press hard for braking. Next day I wen to TASS and he told me that oil is leaking(Minor leak) from left disk brake. Washers needs to be replaced, but when he tried to bleed, oil pressure was stiull not coming. Then he told me that there is problem wih Master cylinder and it needs to be changed. They do not have Master cylinder right now and ordered it. I am waiting for master cylinder to be replaced. I am not sure how come this problem occured, My Safari is 1 year old.
Old 11th October 2011, 16:51   #3805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
Hi,

Yesterday, after returning from a long drive, I noticed a strange sound while turning the steering. It sounds like the door hinges of an old door, which is not oiled. The sound comes only when i turn clockwise (towards right). I am a bit scared and want to know how serious this could be. I am not prepared for a breakdown in the middle of the road... Please help if any of you had encountered similar problem in the past.

Note: I am well aware of the klunk sound. What i am experiencing now is totally different.
Is it a hissing sound ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
3 days back while returning from office, I felt that brake padel was down and i have to press hard for braking. Next day I wen to TASS and he told me that oil is leaking(Minor leak) from left disk brake. Washers needs to be replaced, but when he tried to bleed, oil pressure was stiull not coming. Then he told me that there is problem wih Master cylinder and it needs to be changed. They do not have Master cylinder right now and ordered it. I am waiting for master cylinder to be replaced. I am not sure how come this problem occured, My Safari is 1 year old.
Why worry when you have warranty
Old 12th October 2011, 08:55   #3806
BHPian

[quote=jkdas;2540280]Is it a hissing sound ?

It is not.

It was basically a lubrication issue. Went to TASS and applied grease on the joints and the problem went away
Old 12th October 2011, 09:59   #3807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Does anybody know the reserve fuel tank capacity of Tata Safari? Just wanted to know because today when the fuel meter was showing "E" (the needle was at 25% of the red-band), I filled 10 ltrs diesel and still the fuel meter was just at the edge of redband (where the reserve starts).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

-BJ
It is actually 10L to empty from the time the Fuel light starts glowing. Do not rely on the needle as the tank will go empty even before the needle touches the end of the red line in the guage. The best is to just keep the KM reading at the back of the mind when the fuel lamp glows and remember not to drive beyond 90km from it or refill inbetween.

Last edited by dadu : 12th October 2011 at 10:01.
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 20:15   #3808
Team-BHP Support

Today the service light came on. And the speedo went to zero. I guess some cable has come off or is loose.
After some driving, the speedometer started working again, and service light switched off.
Some sensor or contact?
Is it accessible, do not want to take it to TASS, lest they mess something much more serious.
Old 15th October 2011, 23:55   #3809
BHPian

Quote:
Today the service light came on. And the speedo went to zero. I guess some cable has come off or is loose.
After some driving, the speedometer started working again, and service light switched off.
Some sensor or contact?
Is it accessible, do not want to take it to TASS, lest they mess something much more serious.
Two things could be the reason:

1.) Simple loose contact as you doubt

2.) if along with speedo coming to 0, did you car loose momentum as well.. If engine was normal then definitely loose contact. If your engine lost RPM then the close reason could be alternator regulator malfunction i.e battery overcharging...a regulator costs about 1000 bucks...it happened to me some time back so can share this :-)
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 17:57   #3810
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Two things could be the reason:

1.) Simple loose contact as you doubt

2.) if along with speedo coming to 0, did you car loose momentum as well.. If engine was normal then definitely loose contact. If your engine lost RPM then the close reason could be alternator regulator malfunction i.e battery overcharging...a regulator costs about 1000 bucks...it happened to me some time back so can share this :-)
The engine does not loose momentum, but when this thing happens, the car gets a little jerky and over eager to accelerate. I guess the reason for this could be that now the speed sensor is sending "0" as input to the ECU, and it tries to compensate by putting in more fuel.
This problem is intermittent, comes and goes. No issues with lights(they are not getting extra bright etc.,)
So I doubt its the alternator.
It could however be the speed sensor itself, as the speedometer in safari is electronic, rather than wire type.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks