Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:21   #3751
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Edit: I got a call few weeks ago from a new tata Service Center somewhere near Banaswadi -Ramamurthy Nagar ring road. Couldn't talk much since I was in a meeting and forgot to call back later. Does anyone know which center is that and how the experience was?
If you are referring to Emm Emm Motors on the ORR service road between Ramurthynagar and Horamavu underpasses, then they are not new. They've been there for a few years now and I've been servicing my truck there for over a year now with no issues at all.

Ask for Mahesh or Stalin when you go there and explain your issues clearly, and they will put in a lot of effort to satisfy you.

They may not have all spares in stock always, but they will source it from some other TASS as soon as they can.

I like the personal attention they give you ....if you maintain a good rapport with them.
Kairalee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 17:44   #3752
BHPian

hey folks..

gotta problem. having moved from delhi to the potholed and mad roads of bombay in the last year, the safari clutch finally gave up its ghost and i've just replaced the clutch just short of the 57000 km mark.

i know, i know...ought to have gone to about 70k at the least, but she's being used and abused by the drivers far more than i'd like. *sigh*

now, my front right wheel bearing has DISINTEGRATED not once but TWICE in the last 10 months and are being replaced now. ideas? suggestions? this is turning into an expensive month...

i'm thinking suspension issues? if so, any ideas on what could be happening? also there is no uneven tyre wear, which is what kind of throws a spanner in the works with the suspension issue idea...

at my wits end now and not enjoying it at all.

urgh.

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 24th September 2011 at 17:46.
Old 24th September 2011, 22:49   #3753
Senior - BHPian

I own a 3L DICOR purchased recently (used). I observed that when I accelerate upto higher rpms and when change gear from there, the rpm kinda sticks to the same rpm for a very short span of time, for e.g I am currently at 2.5K rpm and want to upshift, then if I press clutch the rpm sticks to the 2.5K for half a second or even less. Is this a problem or normal behavior of DICOR?

Last edited by mercedised : 24th September 2011 at 22:50.
Old 24th September 2011, 23:16   #3754
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I own a 3L DICOR purchased recently (used). I observed that when I accelerate upto higher rpms and when change gear from there, the rpm kinda sticks to the same rpm for a very short span of time, for e.g I am currently at 2.5K rpm and want to upshift, then if I press clutch the rpm sticks to the 2.5K for half a second or even less. Is this a problem or normal behavior of DICOR?
I would suggest you contact a good mechanic for overhauling your engine.
If you are taking that 3.0 engine to 2.5K rpm regularly, you would need an overhaul soon!
Old 24th September 2011, 23:19   #3755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I would suggest you contact a good mechanic for overhauling your engine.
If you are taking that 3.0 engine to 2.5K rpm regularly, you would need an overhaul soon!
No No! you mistook it. It was just an example, please don't take it another way. I usually drive between 1.5-2K (max.) rpm.

Now, if I am at 2K rpm and press clutch for changing gear the rpm sticks (or I should call it shoots-up) a little bit for half a second. Is that a problem?
Old 24th September 2011, 23:22   #3756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
No No! you mistook it. It was just an example, please don't take it another way. I usually drive between 1.5-2K (max.) rpm.

Now, if I am at 2K rpm and press clutch for changing gear the rpm sticks (or I should call it shoots-up) a little bit for half a second. Is that a problem?
I think a 3.0 owner will be able to tell you that. In 2.2 no such things happen. However, I found advise you to upship by 1.5K max for the long life of the engine.
Its a heavy engine, and inertia at 2K rpm is trememdous. Remember, this heart is that of a 407 truck!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 01:20   #3757
BHPian

Quote:
I think a 3.0 owner will be able to tell you that. In 2.2 no such things happen. However, I found advise you to upship by 1.5K max for the long life of the engine.
Its a heavy engine, and inertia at 2K rpm is trememdous. Remember, this heart is that of a 407 truck!
\

Hi TSK, would you be able to explain the scientific concept in this case ? I get what you mean by inertia, but, how would this degrade the life of the engine ? Is this only attributed to diesel engines & not petrol ? I am sorry, i am going off topic but I was quite intrigued. I recently moved to a diesel not a very large capacity at 1.4 but, powerful. I would if you appreciate if you would respond either in a PM or in this thread however, it suits you.
Old 25th September 2011, 02:05   #3758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
\

Hi TSK, would you be able to explain the scientific concept in this case ? I get what you mean by inertia, but, how would this degrade the life of the engine ? Is this only attributed to diesel engines & not petrol ? I am sorry, i am going off topic but I was quite intrigued. I recently moved to a diesel not a very large capacity at 1.4 but, powerful. I would if you appreciate if you would respond either in a PM or in this thread however, it suits you.
Umm inertia does not degrate the life of the engine, but a heavy engine does not like changing rpms quickly, so at 2K rpm if you let go of accelerator, it will be while before it starts climbing down,
As for life of engine, running near redline is not good for any engine.
For example, 2.2 red lines around 5000rpm, and I make it a point not to exceed 2.5K
For the 3.0 engine redline is at 3000rpm, so 1.5-1.8k is the max rpm point I would like to explore.

So your 1.4 engine (I guess i20) will give you a long life if you try and stick to 2500rpm or less.
Old 25th September 2011, 08:42   #3759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I won't recommend Aadya motors. I had been there twice and the experience was pathetic. I ended up with a bill of Rs5000 when I had gone for just window rattling.

1 week later, the rattling came back. I took it there and I get a call after 1 hr saying that the rattling is because of faulty power window motor and has to be replaced, I plainly denied. In 2 hrs, I got a call saying the vehicle was ready and when I went to collect, the SA says my clutch requires overhauling. I told him that I will bring the vehicle when my clutch starts slipping.

Edit: I got a call few weeks ago from a new tata Service Center somewhere near Banaswadi -Ramamurthy Nagar ring road. Couldn't talk much since I was in a meeting and forgot to call back later. Does anyone know which center is that and how the experience was?
Thanks for the heads up. I have been to Aadya motors suspecting my safari was drinking diesel too much (which was not the case as I found out later, I was running low on diesel for a couple of weeks as daily drive was not much and the fuel indicator can't just show diesel quantity at low fuel level). Now they said that the FIP timing had to be adjusted, and they also checked for any leakages. In one hour the vehicle was delivered, free of cost and they claimed that they adjusted the FIP timing. They also claimed that the FIP timing needs to be adjusted as I had replaced my fuel pump head about 6 months back. I think the total time spent on the vehicle was about 20 mins or so, so it is highly unlikely that they did adjust the timing.

I went to Concorde yesterday to collect the 4wd switch, and discussed this with the SA Asaf there. He said that the timing can't go off on its own, and if the timing indeed was off, I would feel it during my daily drive. I would actually place more trust on Concorde than anybody else. Inspite of my few bad experiences there, these guys know the stuff and eventually they try their best to sort out things till yours satisfaction.

I tried Hindustan Automobiles in Banaswadi but was not satisfied. Teh technicians are competent I guess but the materials tehy use may not be at par. The brake switch they replaced still fail to light up instantly when I engage the hand brake. Also, they use CF oil for safari, so I would never do oil change there.

EMM motors is/was a provider for Tata 24X7 service. So I would guess that they would be little better.
Old 25th September 2011, 11:36   #3760
BHPian

Quote:
Umm inertia does not degrate the life of the engine, but a heavy engine does not like changing rpms quickly, so at 2K rpm if you let go of accelerator, it will be while before it starts climbing down,
As for life of engine, running near redline is not good for any engine.
For example, 2.2 red lines around 5000rpm, and I make it a point not to exceed 2.5K
For the 3.0 engine redline is at 3000rpm, so 1.5-1.8k is the max rpm point I would like to explore.

So your 1.4 engine (I guess i20) will give you a long life if you try and stick to 2500rpm or less.
Thanks I kinda get what your saying. I will take that precaution.
Old 26th September 2011, 16:08   #3761
BHPian

Hi Experts,

Today I have left my truck for her third free service (15K kms) with the below list of problems to concorde motors, mysore road. I have an AMC.

1. Steering vibrations while on rough surfaces also when the brakes are applied.
Resolution suggested by TASS SA - Replace Steering column (The part was already ordered a week prior)

2. Engine Slags / loses power when tried to move on a steep inclination.
TASS SA says that it is common across all 2.2s. But I hardly found 2 or 3 users reporting this issue.

Any thing I should ask the SA to look into pertaining to this issue ?

3. All doors rattling . I insisted them to adjust all doors.
Any special attention to be taken care here ?

4. I also insisted them to change the Fuel filter and the Air filter.

5. What would be the life of the wiper blades ? .Currently my truck is 7 months old. The wiper blades kind of shakes on the windshield and it is not smooth. I have insisted them for replacement.
Do this come under warranty or it is treated as normal wear and tear considering most of the time my truck is exposed to sun.

Please advice...

I will write the feedback once I get my truck back from the service

Regards,
SHAMS
Old 26th September 2011, 19:39   #3762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams_4x4 View Post
2. Engine Slags / loses power when tried to move on a steep inclination.
3. All doors rattling . I insisted them to adjust all doors.
5. What would be the life of the wiper blades ...
2. Keep revving the engine above 1800 rpm. Downshift on incline, if accelerator not responding. You will need to get used to this regime on most turbo diesels like Safari.

3. Mine rattles too, particularly on bad road. TASS is notorious in fixing little but, breaking more hence, I am not reporting this. Twice I have DIY FR window, stays quite for few months and then comes back. Learnt to live with it :(

5. Wiper blades being "consumable" rubber item may not be covered in warranty. Get it replaced it does not cost much, should be ~500/- for a pair.
Old 26th September 2011, 21:49   #3763
Senior - BHPian

Could anyone tell me if we need to adjust tappets in Safari 3.0L DICOR? A TASC mechanic told me to do so. Also, what will happen if we don't adjust tappets?
Old 27th September 2011, 10:11   #3764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams_4x4 View Post
Hi Experts,

5. What would be the life of the wiper blades ? .Currently my truck is 7 months old. The wiper blades kind of shakes on the windshield and it is not smooth. I have insisted them for replacement.
Do this come under warranty or it is treated as normal wear and tear considering most of the time my truck is exposed to sun.

Please advice...
My wiper blades went bad few months after purchase. Replaced them at cost during 30K service and now its super smooth. Do change them now, anyway they are not expensive, and NE monsoon will soon be here.
Looks like the OEM blades dont last long...
Old 27th September 2011, 12:25   #3765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
My wiper blades went bad few months after purchase. Replaced them at cost during 30K service and now its super smooth. Do change them now, anyway they are not expensive, and NE monsoon will soon be here.
Looks like the OEM blades dont last long...
I have an Oct 2007 Safari and changed only the driver side wiper blade this month as it cracked, rest are fine. It will depend on how your vehicle is parked, under the sun and the rubber will deteriorate faster.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks