Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 09:31   #3646
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post

A service advisor in a TASS advised to me to get the clutch overhauled. Apart from a sometimes sticky clutch pedal, I don't see the need. I concluded this by letting the Safari climb on a rather sharp incline, with AC on in 1st gear and with no accelerator input . The Safari pulled up just fine.

Please advise as to what can be the reason for the low mileage, or should I just ignore it?

PS: I upgraded to Continental AT's recently. And the low mileage figures have kind of coincided with the tyre change.
I also use continental A/T.
I have a 4x4, and the only time my in city mileage crashed to 9kmpl was when the rear limited slip diff kit got shot, and bearings partially jammed. You won't have that problem (2WD)
Sticky clutch pedal? Its a the slave cylinder. Get it changed under extended warranty.
Old 17th August 2011, 09:44   #3647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I also use continental A/T.
I have a 4x4, and the only time my in city mileage crashed to 9kmpl was when the rear limited slip diff kit got shot, and bearings partially jammed. You won't have that problem (2WD)
Sticky clutch pedal? Its a the slave cylinder. Get it changed under extended warranty.
So, Tanveer any pointers as to whats wrong at the mileage front? I am hesitant though to even open the bonnet at this point, because the vehicle is driving so well right now.

Regarding extended warrant: I once inquired about water body being replaced through EW, the TASS manager told me that I have rendered by EW void. He said that i had not brought my vehicle for a check up @ 5k, due to this aberration I stand to loose my warranty.

So far the safari hasn't really created a situation for EW to be pit to use. And I hope this continues for atleast the next 5 months, after which as it is my EW expires.
Old 17th August 2011, 09:47   #3648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
So, Tanveer any pointers as to whats wrong at the mileage front? I am hesitant though to even open the bonnet at this point, because the vehicle is driving so well right now.

Regarding extended warrant: I once inquired about water body being replaced through EW, the TASS manager told me that I have rendered by EW void. He said that i had not brought my vehicle for a check up @ 5k, due to this aberration I stand to loose my warranty.

So far the safari hasn't really created a situation for EW to be pit to use. And I hope this continues for atleast the next 5 months, after which as it is my EW expires.
Thats sad. Due to EW being given by an insurance company, their primary aim is not to please the customer, but to save money. So they will use it to wriggle out of it.
As for low mileage, maybe too much carbon? Rev her upto 3000-4000 rpm once in a while to expel the soot in the tailpipe.
Other than that, if the vehicle is running fine, let it be. Probably you are seeing unusual traffic?
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 08:03   #3649
Senior - BHPian

1. The darn idler arm nut is loose again I wonder why ?? Is it a sign that the brass bushing inside it needs a change.

2. The tail gate makes a chee chee racket on uneven roads. Sometimes its gone completely and sometimes not.

I am nearing my 45000 kms service soon and hoping to get it rectified.
Old 19th August 2011, 14:44   #3650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
do not worry, go on your trip, and get it sorted when you come back get it fixed. If the issue is serious(like it was in mine), your steering would start vibrating every time you cross 60kmph
Just a khat is okay
You are spot on as usual tsk1979. I took the car to Concorde at ECR. They showed me the centerpin bush which had broken. They replaced it and did the 3rd service. But they didn't change the disks in the front wheel for the brake judder which occurs in triple digit speed. They said it is within spec so they cleaned it and returned the car. I ended up paying 6k for the service + consumables.

I read here that it is covered under extended warranty.

Last edited by Prowler : 19th August 2011 at 14:45.
Old 19th August 2011, 17:14   #3651
BHPian

Hi all

My safari has the standard headlights which I find extremely insufficient(even the Tata Ace has better headlights than the safari) I want to change the bulbs of the headlights as well as the fog lights to something more powerful and should give a white color output so what do you suggest I go for?
Old 19th August 2011, 17:32   #3652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi all

My safari has the standard headlights which I find extremely insufficient(even the Tata Ace has better headlights than the safari) I want to change the bulbs of the headlights as well as the fog lights to something more powerful and should give a white color output so what do you suggest I go for?
Dont go for white lights if you drive a lot and you live where it rains a lot.

Just get Hella/Roots wiring harness kit and get 90/100 Philips Rally bulbs. Search/browse for posts (and thread) regarding this.

And I was told that Bosch even makes 80W bulbs for fogs ( stock is 55W).
Old 19th August 2011, 18:00   #3653
Senior - BHPian

And if you dont want to go for Relay, then you can go for Osram Silverstar or Nightbreaker bulbs as they are both stock rating (55W)

both are very gud and provide upto 35% increase in light

just change the bulb and get the headlight properly focused and adjusted
Old 20th August 2011, 12:55   #3654
BHPian

Hello Friends

Require your advise. It seems my niggles do not get over. I had posted a month back that after I got my 3rd service done from TASS the very next day rat chewed of the wires. I had them fixed. However before the rat chewing incident occured I noticed that early morning when I entered the car the brakes were very hard and they released as soon as i drove the car for few seconds.

Also after starting the car when I used to put it in 1st gear to lift it the first movement was as if it is going over a small rumble strip/speed breaker.

Since it was rainy season and the car was not used much maybe once in 2 days I thought it must be a normal process as my bro also owns a dezire diesel and he too said that the brake stiffness happens in rainy season sometimes

After I got my wires repaired ther was no issue but the brake pattern was still eminnet. However the brakes became normal as soon as i drove the car for say 5-10 secs

Today I started my car after 2 days to go for work and experienced the same phenomena, brakes hard, on lifting a small grind like sound as if car is going ona rumble strip and then all okay.

after I finished my work and enterd my car to return home, the ABS indicator did not go off. The car is running absolutely fine no issues.

My queries

1>I called the TASS guy and he told me that error can only be checked after attaching to a laptop. He does not have time till tuesday so he called me on tuesday
2>I have to go for some work tomorrow maximum say 20-40 kms to and fro. Can I drive my car
3>I use parking brake a lot in traffic especially when it is on slopes . Can something be related to this use
4>One more thing. I do not feel the TASS guy at my service center is especially pleased to see me. I have no issues with him but today when i called him he said come on tuesday. When I asked him can i drive the car he said why do not you get it checked from other TASS service station . Now if only a laptop can tell the reason why cant he do it himself. Also he told me to visit some other guys when i vist his TASS
5>More importantly as i read in the tata service manual, they said that the probable cause could be no supply to abd unit and then some other major causes. Coud it be possible that the TASS guys who repaired my wiring may have missed the abs connection
5>In case the ABS unit turns faulty or sensor is bust, is it covered under warranty and what expenses i am looking at

Please advice GURUS . It will be of great help

I have TATA SAFARI GX 2010 model and it has just completed 1 year on august 16. I hav extended warranty on it

REgards
Old 20th August 2011, 13:04   #3655
Senior - BHPian

@ Lodhra, if you are not happy with that particular TASS, why not try another one, but the SA has no business telling you not to visit his centre, but all said and done, if there seems to be a problem it is better you get it checked at the earliest.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 13:27   #3656
BHPian

Bro

Can I use my car or should I visit the tASS and then only use it. Also should I call them and take appointment or go straight away and hope they will attend

The issue is tommorow is sunday and monday its gokulashtami
Old 20th August 2011, 13:51   #3657
Senior - BHPian

Is the pedal hard to depress or is it that when you move the car, the brakes seem to be engaged, if it is the latter, it is ok, if the pedal is sticking then there might be some fluid leakage. Driving 30-40 kms should not be an issue.
Old 20th August 2011, 17:31   #3658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
1. The darn idler arm nut is loose again I wonder why ?? Is it a sign that the brass bushing inside it needs a change.

2. The tail gate makes a chee chee racket on uneven roads. Sometimes its gone completely and sometimes not.

I am nearing my 45000 kms service soon and hoping to get it rectified.
1) Get the idler arm tightened to the max, usually they will leave it slack to soften the steering movement.

2) I had done a DIY after careful consideration on whats was causing it.

- Removed the hard rubber pad from the floor(left side) by removing the 2 screws and took it home.
- Cut out 2 defunct credit cards in its shape so that they can add extra padding and drilled the exact 2 screw holes for the screws.
- Placed these custom CC pads and then the original rubber pad and tightened the screws.

No squeaks forever.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 17:39   #3659
BHPian

the brake is hard onky in the morning after that once u start the car and even idle it becomes normal

can i drive my car till i visit tass till tuesday with abs light on
Old 20th August 2011, 18:15   #3660
Senior - BHPian

2)
Quote:
I had done a DIY after careful consideration on whats was causing it.

- Removed the hard rubber pad from the floor(left side) by removing the 2 screws and took it home.
- Cut out 2 defunct credit cards in its shape so that they can add extra padding and drilled the exact 2 screw holes for the screws.
- Placed these custom CC pads and then the original rubber pad and tightened the screws.

No squeaks forever.
Oh, so now Tata wants our defunct credit cards too??

@ Lodhra, as long as the brakes are stopping your car when you want them to, you can drive it to your TASS.

Most Viewed