Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 08:23   #3616
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Yesterday night I noticed that head light dims a bit when AC is switched on. This can be observed when headlights are facing wall.
Is this sign of weak battery or some problem in alternater ?
There is no other problem like in crancking the engine
Old 2nd August 2011, 08:35   #3617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I Got the oil problem solved, and finally I am going to get my car back tommorow, I wanted to know are there any charges on repairs carried under warranty I mean like labor charge or so, If yes then how much can I expect for my engine overhauling which occurred due to breaking of the timing belt?
Warranty repairs are done free of cost, no labour charges as well, the only charges would be the oils if replaced.
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:56   #3618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Yesterday night I noticed that head light dims a bit when AC is switched on...
Should be normal. When compressor kicks in, engine rpm will dip and then regain the speed when idling. Dip in RPM causes some drop in electromotive force between DC pickups (battery terminals) causing the lights to dim a bit. If the voltage is perfectly regulated e.g. ~12.8v or so without any crest or cleft the light will appear steady- but, practically that is difficult with varying RPM alternator and minimal electronics in most cars including Safari.

-BJ
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:34   #3619
BHPian

I have recently changed all 4 tyres of my Safari. I went for alignment. The first time after spending a good 1 hour the guy tells me that since the center pin is faulty the tyre (front left) is wobbly. Hence a proper alignment cannot be done. I was told to get this rectified and then come back. I did the same at Autolinks, Gurgaon and went back again yesterday. After doing what they could the result has not been satisfatory. The steering has a prominent play and the vehicle moves left and right. Plus the steering is very tight. There is absolutely no fun in driving the Safari like this and I am worried for my new tyres.

Can somebody tell me where to get this solved? A place that is know for safari. Do advice.

Last edited by Country Road : 2nd August 2011 at 12:36. Reason: Spelling.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:22   #3620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I have recently changed all 4 tyres of my Safari. I went for alignment. The first time after spending a good 1 hour the guy tells me that since the center pin is faulty the tyre (front left) is wobbly. Hence a proper alignment cannot be done. I was told to get this rectified and then come back. I did the same at Autolinks, Gurgaon and went back again yesterday. After doing what they could the result has not been satisfatory. The steering has a prominent play and the vehicle moves left and right. Plus the steering is very tight. There is absolutely no fun in driving the Safari like this and I am worried for my new tyres.

Can somebody tell me where to get this solved? A place that is know for safari. Do advice.
This problem is not solvable permanently. However, if your steering play does not go away after changing center pin, you will have to get steering cross changed(covered under extended warranty, even at high kms(70000))
It will fix it to a large extent.
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:33   #3621
BHPian

Hi experts,

Finally got my Safari back to me after the full engine overhaul due to that timing belt breaking issue, well got two problems now which I need to rectify but I needed some suggestions as to what is causing these problems so that the guys at TASS dont sit and scratch their heads over these and atleast I can give them a hint on what they should check out.

1) A/c cooling stopped suddenly today after I brought the car from the service center, was working fine in the morning but stopped suddenly in the afternoon. I believe must be due to a blown out fuse.

2) When I drive at speeds above 90 or when the rpm is above 2.5-3K there is a strange whistling noise which I never heard before, I am sure this is not the turbo kicking in because I know how that sounds and also this is not because of the rear view mirrors so what might be the problem?
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:02   #3622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi All,
I had taken my car for its fourth service (30K kms.) on the 5th of July where I got a bill of 13-14K including that expensive engine oil. So 5 days later my car's timing belt broke causing some other stuff in the engine to break too.
Timing belt broke soon after 30K service? Could it be that they messed up something during the service?

What is the usual life of timing belt? I'm going in for 30K service soon, should I be worried?
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:56   #3623
BHPian

^ Well verditer If your 30K service is coming tell the Service Advisor to specifically check the timing belt because sometimes they ignore it.

The timing belt should last at least for 90K to 1 Lac Kms. but when my car was at the center to rectify this problem I noticed a few more safari's came for the same problem before they touched 90K.
Old 5th August 2011, 09:38   #3624
BHPian

Got a new issue with my 3+ years old 2.2. Its done 45k now. The left headlight dims intermittently and A/C switches on automatically. Even if the AC switch is OFF, the AC compressor is ON. This is really strange and happens when i switch ON the headlights. I am taking it to TASS today. Did anyone face this issue.
Old 5th August 2011, 10:07   #3625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Got a new issue with my 3+ years old 2.2. Its done 45k now. The left headlight dims intermittently and A/C switches on automatically. Even if the AC switch is OFF, the AC compressor is ON. This is really strange and happens when i switch ON the headlights. I am taking it to TASS today. Did anyone face this issue.
Does'nt seems tobe a major issue, some relay or fuse might have gone kaput.
Old 6th August 2011, 21:45   #3626
Distinguished - BHPian

Can any Safari 4x4 owner please check the manual and tell me what oils can be used for the Transfer case. The Scorpio Authorized service center didn't have the oils recommended by Mahindra in stock, so I thought I would try to Safari recommended oil since they use the same Borg Warner Transfer case.
Old 7th August 2011, 08:09   #3627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Can any Safari 4x4 owner please check the manual and tell me what oils can be used for the Transfer case. The Scorpio Authorized service center didn't have the oils recommended by Mahindra in stock, so I thought I would try to Safari recommended oil since they use the same Borg Warner Transfer case.
Mine is a Sept 2009 made BS3 2.2 VTT Ex 4x4. From manual page 93:
->Power Steering and Transfer case: ATF Type A DEXRON IID
->Rear & Front axle: M/Grade oil SAE 85W 140 GLS
Angolmol A6043 oil
*Friction modifier 40819 (2-5%) to be added to oil for Limited Slip Differential

Capacity: For rear axle- 2.2 L
For front axle - 1.2 L

Transfer case oil: Qty 1.2 L
Old 7th August 2011, 09:30   #3628
BHPian

Brands of lubes are here, picture:
Attached Images

vijuvarghese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 09:42   #3629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Does'nt seems tobe a major issue, some relay or fuse might have gone kaput.
You are right, it turned out to be a loose grounding bolt. It was removed for a body repair and was not fixed back properly by TASS bodyshop guys. Was fixed in 5 mins at TASS without a jobcard. All is well now
Old 7th August 2011, 22:38   #3630
BHPian

Would like to know if anyone is facing water leaking into the cabin from the doors. There are droplets of water falling inside from all four doors under reasonable rain. A bit surprised as I don't think even an 800 doesn't leak water through closed doors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks