Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 13:54   #3601
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
At around 50K I noticed very light sound from engine(rythmic). It was so faint that only in pin drop silence it could be heard. Since all belts were fine, I asked my SA to open up the timing cover and check belt. It was partially cut.
So never ignore any sounds in the safari. Take her to a lonely place and listen to her. usually, she tells you if somethings wrong
I agree to this.

I had a sound from the engine which I could not understand. Went to TASS and even they could NOT find the source of the noise. I then asked my man -friday for help (he is the workshop incharge). They systematically disassembled bit by bit untill they found out that a few bearings of the timing belt had developed a play and had started eating the belt. The vehicle had gone through the retrofit - C earlier (much earlier), and the items changed under the retrofit had gone bad.

Never ignore sounds which are different in a TM vehicle.
Old 26th July 2011, 15:44   #3602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post

There is a close to 50 degrees slop near my office which I can climb easily in 1st gear around 1600-1700 rpm. However, today the vehicle could not climb the same slope from standstill. On half-clutch, the rpm just would not move beyond 1200ish with clutch, accelerator and brake pressed/released. Even 4H did not help. 4L would have done the work, but did not try.
Experts, please help. Is there anything wrong with clutch or any other component?
Old 26th July 2011, 23:23   #3603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Can you post a close-up picture of the area for the benefit of all of us.
Thanks.
-BJ

Hi BJ,
I have attached a picture for your reference. The horizontal arrow shows the screw to be removed. And the vertical arrow shows the clutch pedal. The circled area in the red colour shows the area where the pipoe lies under the mat or carpet area. I am posting the picture for the first time. Please let me know if you do not see the picture. Also let me know how to post a picture in this so that I can post it again if it is not seen here.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img_0293_15.jpg

Thanks,
SHAMS
shams_4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 23:33   #3604
BHPian

Cool Dude,

On Point #1, TOday I had been to TASC (Concorde Motors, Mysore Road). I got the air filter cleaned and fitted again. I will have to check whether this problem has subsided or will reiterate. will let you know about this further.

On Point #2, No, this does not occur in conjunction with point #1.

On Point #3, the TASC SA also told me the same thing. Thanks TATA.

On Point#4, Recently (15 days back) I had been to Dharmasthala. I had got an average of 11.4 kmpl. Speeds varying from 80kmph to 140 kmph. Total distance covered in the round trip was 650 kms including the Ghat sections.
Old 27th July 2011, 09:59   #3605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams_4x4 View Post
Cool Dude,

I had got an average of 11.4 kmpl. Speeds varying from 80kmph to 140 kmph. Total distance covered in the round trip was 650 kms including the Ghat sections.
That is normal. I get around 9 km/l in city with 100 % AC and around 12-14 km/l on highways. If you drive at 120 + , your mileage will come down. Ghat roads and climbing hills also bring down the fuel economy. Earlier I used to drive at sedate speed and it returned 14.5 km/l - not bad for a 2 ton vehicle.
Old 27th July 2011, 10:29   #3606
BHPian

The clutch pedal of my truck suddenly went soft. There is no resistance offered by the pedal till around half the distance, then the clutch engages. If i pump the pedal around 10-15 times, the pressure builds up and the clutch behaves normal, but then goes limp after some usage.
To me it seems like a slave or master cylinder problem. What do you guys say?
Old 27th July 2011, 11:20   #3607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
The clutch pedal of my truck suddenly went soft. There is no resistance offered by the pedal till around half the distance, then the clutch engages. If i pump the pedal around 10-15 times, the pressure builds up and the clutch behaves normal, but then goes limp after some usage.
To me it seems like a slave or master cylinder problem. What do you guys say?
The master cylinder seems to have sprung a leak I think. Get it fixed soon, otherwise it will damage the clutch plates.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:21   #3608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The master cylinder seems to have sprung a leak I think. Get it fixed soon, otherwise it will damage the clutch plates.
It can be scary if this happen when you are driving. Have EW? Isnt costly anyway.

Happened to me once.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:24   #3609
BHPian

My Safari gives a sound like a high speed rotating fan, this comes when i accelerate to 90-100 and then leave the accelerator. If i press the accelerator then that sound goes away, the car can sweetly accelerate even more. The noise seems to be quite high. I am little unsure if it is an issue, or just a rat in my brain.
Old 28th July 2011, 19:18   #3610
Senior - BHPian

The remote unit for my safari hardly had any range while locking or unlocking the vehicle, I had lived with this till the last service when I complained, the SA at Prerana at Peenya gave me the toll free number of Minda, I called and registered my complaint, promptly the next day (yesterday) a technician called, since I was out all day, told him to give me a call today and come and attend to it.
The technician came this afternoon and checked the unit under driver's seat, he replaced it with another unit and discovered that the unit was faulty, as a temporary measure he took out the antenna wire from inside the box and that has increased the range quite dramatically, but I spoke to Prerana and they have told me that they will indent the part and replace it under warranty.
Minda toll free number is 1800-1022-777.
I was charged 110/- for replacing the battery on the remote.

On a second note, I had discussed about Tbhp and the number of Safari owners here in our forum with the AGM service at Prerana, he in turn had spoken about us to his MD and they want to conduct a special check-up camp just for Tbhp members, they want to host a day's outing at their workshops for Safari owners with families, the details can be shared once we give them the numbers, in fact, they would like to send an email invite to all of us, interested Safari owners can get in touch with me and we can discuss dates convenient to us.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 28th July 2011 at 19:24.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 20:10   #3611
BHPian

Even I am facing the similar issue with my beast's center locking system. I hardly get any range. At times I even get surprised when it does not work even from a few feet away from the vehicle. Thanks for the toll free number. I will register my complaint and later update my experience.

On the second note, yes thats an interesting move and I am interested in participating in these kind of events. Thanks again for initiating !!!
Old 28th July 2011, 23:20   #3612
BHPian

^^ Ditto here. I changed the batteries on the remote. I complained about it too but nothing was done about it. Have been living thinking that it is just another niggle or rather I'd say, another safari feature.

I haven't updated on my issue at all. I will surely do it on this weekend. The truck is running fine now. Mr. Muralidhar personally made sure that the work carried out properly involving some senior mechanics. I am not sure about the shoddy job that was done early, but yeah, will be going to Concorde once to find out about the lapses that lead to this problem.

Not sure about the AC since I haven't gone anywhere at all. Will be going tomorrow evening to Masinagudi and so can update on that then.

Tejas
Old 30th July 2011, 10:29   #3613
BHPian

Hi All,

I am in need of your help and suggestions as to what I should do in the following case:

I had taken my car for its fourth service (30K kms.) on the 5th of July where I got a bill of 13-14K including that expensive engine oil. So 5 days later my car's timing belt broke causing some other stuff in the engine to break too. Fortunately My car is still under warranty so all that will be taken care off, My problem is that the Service advisor is now telling me that they will have to change the engine oil again. I have paid 14 K for the last service where I didn't get a chance to drive my car even for 100 kms before the breakdown and I d not want to spend on the engine oil again(oil costs somewhere around 7.5-8K) so what do I do?
Old 30th July 2011, 11:35   #3614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi All,

I am in need of your help and suggestions as to what I should do in the following case:

I had taken my car for its fourth service (30K kms.) on the 5th of July where I got a bill of 13-14K including that expensive engine oil. So 5 days later my car's timing belt broke causing some other stuff in the engine to break too. Fortunately My car is still under warranty so all that will be taken care off, My problem is that the Service advisor is now telling me that they will have to change the engine oil again. I have paid 14 K for the last service where I didn't get a chance to drive my car even for 100 kms before the breakdown and I d not want to spend on the engine oil again(oil costs somewhere around 7.5-8K) so what do I do?
Depending on the nature of the damage to the engine, it may require an oil change. 7.5 / 8k should be for the synthetic oil. regular oil should not cost as much.
Old 1st August 2011, 20:38   #3615
BHPian

Well I Got the oil problem solved, and finally I am going to get my car back tommorow, I wanted to know are there any charges on repairs carried under warranty I mean like labor charge or so, If yes then how much can I expect for my engine overhauling which occurred due to breaking of the timing belt?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks