Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 15:58   #3541
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I once left the bonnet light on, and within a few days the battery died. Jump started the car using a secondry battery, and kept her idling for 1 hour.
After that everything was normal.
Thanks tsk. It is almost one hour. I am also going for a drive now. Hope everything will be normal.
BTW, the battery is the 4 yr old stock battery.
Old 14th July 2011, 16:04   #3542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Thanks tsk. It is almost one hour. I am also going for a drive now. Hope everything will be normal.
BTW, the battery is the 4 yr old stock battery.
Get your battery checked by a battery guy. I would also suggest that you get your alternator checked.

Why?

My alternator has some issue and I didnt know about it ( it wasnt charging the battery). I drove around a lot coz the battery has lot of extra juice. Result; a cell died and I had to buy a new battery later.
Old 14th July 2011, 16:48   #3543
BHPian

Concorde Hosur Road T.A.S.S blessings

The concord hosur road T.A.S.S is one hell of a place.
After 15k service, the clutch became really hard, before that it was really smooth! I have no clue, but when I complained, they said that I do not know how to use the clutch. Well, not that I am novice since I have been driving for quite some time (16 yrs till then), I tried to fight but in vain. Finally we drove the truck in the same condition and at 28k, got it overhauled. At the time of the delivery, I showed them an issue where when in idle, there was some sound coming which would vanish with the clutch being pressed. Those guys said it is nothing and after a Rajasthan trip (7k), the sound increased. They still didn't acknowledge the issue, but after a few more drives on the highway (I seldom drive the beast in the city), the sound increased even more. It'd happen only in the idle condition, but with clutch pressed, it didn't.
With a few rounds of net searching, I found out that it was a release bearing issue which when told was acknowledged and changed under extended warranty at 42k.
I went to chennai the next day (2 weeks back) and observed that the clutch was hardening after a couple of hrs of drive. I told them the same and when I came back they took the truck again (in the space of 2 days) and said that Master/Slave cylinder had to be changed. They changed it after which I went to cochin last week.
When in cochin, i heard a strange sound from the rear differential (at least thats what I thought) when the car was taking off in the first gear. It'd go off smoothly after that. Now I find that there's a problem with the LSD and it is getting changed under warranty. Some idiot actually drove in 4H from the service station to my place which is close to 25kms.

Now I think that the guys in concorde, messed it up big time during a clutch over haul and I have to bear the brunt of using all those components in my extended warranty.
In the last 30 days, the truck was in the garage for 12 days, including today 13. I hope that this is going to end here.

My question is if because of the T.A.S.S all this happened, why should I use my extended warranty? Also, when doing a clutch over haul, don't they change the release bearing/master-slave cylinder/clutch plates together?

My AC issue is still pending where the blower doesn't work. I told them the same but for some reason they didn't take it on the face value and changed the entire components of the AC unit in warranty but for the motor. Now there's a problem with the roof-AC as well (which was non-existent)!!!! They are going to replace it now it seems. This looks to be like an insane never ending trip!! What am I supposed to do?

Tejas
PS: I'd warn you guys about these concorde hosur road chaps. There workmanship is really pathetic (at least w.r.t me). Please stay away if possible. Will head to KHT is what I think now.
Old 14th July 2011, 17:19   #3544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
My alternator has some issue and I didnt know about it ( it wasnt charging the battery). I drove around a lot coz the battery has lot of extra juice. Result; a cell died and I had to buy a new battery later.
Thanks jkdas. I will get my batteries checked.

Didn't the "Battery Indicator" came up when your alternator stopped working?
I had alternator issue 6 months ago. I was on my way to Kottayam and suddenly the battery light came up. Stopped at a near by workshop and they confirmed the alternator has gone. However I was able to drive 40KM to Focuz (kotayam), and they changed 2 parts of the alternator. Dont remember the name of the parts, one was the shoe/brush, and another part with some springs.
Both costed me ~Rs 5000 total. Didnt claim extended warranty as they said that they have to sent the part to Bosch and Bosch has to approve replacement/repair. Since I didn't have time, I just paid for the part and kept moving.

Last edited by Holyghost : 14th July 2011 at 17:21.
Old 14th July 2011, 18:47   #3545
Senior - BHPian

Re: Concorde Hosur Road T.A.S.S blessings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
This is a known thing and asked many of them from going to that place.

Quote:
PS: I'd warn you guys about these concorde hosur road chaps. There workmanship is really pathetic (at least w.r.t me). Please stay away if possible. Will head to KHT is what I think now.
Would suggest you to taking the Safari to Concorde, Mysore Road where the people are knowledgeable and listen to your queries and do the work perfectly and take special interest on every vehicle.
Old 14th July 2011, 18:52   #3546
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After 15k service, the clutch became really hard, before that it was really smooth! I have no clue, but when I complained, they said that I do not know how to use the clutch. Well, not that I am novice since I have been driving for quite some time (16 yrs till then), I tried to fight but in vain. Finally we drove the truck in the same condition and at 28k, got it overhauled. At the time of the delivery, I showed them an issue where when in idle, there was some sound coming which would vanish with the clutch being pressed. Those guys said it is nothing and after a Rajasthan trip (7k), the sound increased. They still didn't acknowledge the issue, but after a few more drives on the highway (I seldom drive the beast in the city), the sound increased even more. It'd happen only in the idle condition, but with clutch pressed, it didn't.
the service center took you for a ride. Every service center has a clutch pressure meter. If it starts reading above 17-18 they replace clutch(entire unit). My safari's entire clutch was replaced, not piece meal replacement.
I suspect, not just concorde hosur road, but most concorde motors are notorious.
Quote:
With a few rounds of net searching, I found out that it was a release bearing issue which when told was acknowledged and changed under extended warranty at 42k.
I went to chennai the next day (2 weeks back) and observed that the clutch was hardening after a couple of hrs of drive. I told them the same and when I came back they took the truck again (in the space of 2 days) and said that Master/Slave cylinder had to be changed. They changed it after which I went to cochin last week.
When in cochin, i heard a strange sound from the rear differential (at least thats what I thought) when the car was taking off in the first gear. It'd go off smoothly after that. Now I find that there's a problem with the LSD and it is getting changed under warranty. Some idiot actually drove in 4H from the service station to my place which is close to 25kms.
LSD is a known TATA issue. Almost all 4x4 owners need to have their LSD kit and Axle bearings replaced around 60K. Some wait till the noise increases to very high levels, as most workshops try to push you to carry on. I guess TATA cannot make good quality LSD kits

Quote:
Now I think that the guys in concorde, messed it up big time during a clutch over haul and I have to bear the brunt of using all those components in my extended warranty.
In the last 30 days, the truck was in the garage for 12 days, including today 13. I hope that this is going to end here.
Be happy that atleast it is free. Workshop tourism is an unsaid benefit of Tata ownership

Quote:
My question is if because of the T.A.S.S all this happened, why should I use my extended warranty? Also, when doing a clutch over haul, don't they change the release bearing/master-slave cylinder/clutch plates together?
Too late to ask that now!

Quote:
My AC issue is still pending where the blower doesn't work. I told them the same but for some reason they didn't take it on the face value and changed the entire components of the AC unit in warranty but for the motor. Now there's a problem with the roof-AC as well (which was non-existent)!!!! They are going to replace it now it seems. This looks to be like an insane never ending trip!! What am I supposed to do?

Tejas
Do some more workshop tourism.
Quote:
Even the Bangalore main Concorde is pathetic.
When I had the indica in blr, I was not very much aware of whats covered under extended warranty and whats not.
They charged me for glow plug replacement, and thermostat replacement. their main service head lied to me about whats covered under warranty and whats not.
So whenever you walk into these workshops, guard yourself like you would guard yourself against pickpockets.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 19:12   #3547
BHPian

Quote:
You may want to try Prerna Motors which is also very near to the Concord TASS. Prerna is right on the Hosur Road. They are much more customer centric and listen to your issues patiently. They are pretty punctual in terms of Time as well. This has been my standard service center and I have been quite happy since last 3 years.

Just got my 4th free service done yesterday. In fact I visited the TASS after almost 1 yr 4 months. During this time there were no problems in my Safari.. (Thankfully !!!).

This time I had 2 main issues:
1. Alternator went bonkers. Was repaired under extended warranty.
2. My clutch is also little hard. They did bleeding, and it has become better now. But still hard. The SA tells me that the only solution is to replace the whole clutch unit and Extended Warranty never approves it since the vehicle has already crossed 40K.

Should I speak to the Customer Service Manager? Or is it normal that after 40K they wont cover clutch? The extended warranty manual says that the following parts are covered.

Clutch pressure plate, clutch disk, release bearing, master & slave cylinder, clutch cable. (failure due to worn or burnt clutches are not covered).

Last edited by NiTviN : 14th July 2011 at 19:13. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 14th July 2011, 19:29   #3548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every service center has a clutch pressure meter. If it starts reading above 17-18 they replace clutch(entire unit).
Tanveer, what should be the normal / correct clutch pressure ?

Dadu, I believe you got this done once at Concorde ? Can you elaborate ?

My car is at Concorde today for similar issues - clutch hard and frequent jerks in 1st, 2nd gear when releasing clutch at crawl speeds..
Old 14th July 2011, 22:28   #3549
BHPian

HI there

There is an issue that has cropped up recently. During rainy days/high humidity days, when I use Ac, I find some water dripping on my left toe(clutch). Now I don't know where this water is coming from??? If it continues, then it might lead to some corrosion..Am I right??

Cheers
Old 14th July 2011, 23:32   #3550
BHPian

Quote:
the service center took you for a ride. Every service center has a clutch pressure meter. If it starts reading above 17-18 they replace clutch(entire unit). My safari's entire clutch was replaced, not piece meal replacement.
I suspect, not just concorde hosur road, but most concorde motors are notorious.
Well, I think that they really took me for a ride. They have potentially lost not only one, but a few more because of this. When I confronted them regarding the clutch over-haul, they came up with an excuse: "We change only the worn out parts".

Quote:
LSD is a known TATA issue. Almost all 4x4 owners need to have their LSD kit and Axle bearings replaced around 60K. Some wait till the noise increases to very high levels, as most workshops try to push you to carry on. I guess TATA cannot make good quality LSD kits. Be happy that atleast it is free.
This LSD issue happened only after changing the Master/Slave cylinder. There were no issues before that, not even a single sound!. I haven't used 4x4 extensively, may be at the max for a 1000 kms or a little more, but I was stunned to find the truck in 4H mode at the time of delivery.

Quote:
Workshop tourism is an unsaid benefit of Tata ownership
Yeah! I learnt that long back. I have to deal with three wives as I have mentioned in some other post: My wife whom I got married to, the truck and the bullet. My wife is the best by far in all means!!!! Doesn't demand this much attention!!!

Quote:
Do some more workshop tourism.
Yes, I have been but will have to be a little more pro-active. I am planning on changing from concorde Hosur Rd to KHT. I know some chaps in KHT (who were earlier in Concorde and were good) and I hope that they'd do a good job.

Quote:
Even the Bangalore main Concorde is pathetic.
When I had the indica in blr, I was not very much aware of whats covered under extended warranty and whats not.
They charged me for glow plug replacement, and thermostat replacement. their main service head lied to me about whats covered under warranty and whats not.
So whenever you walk into these workshops, guard yourself like you would guard yourself against pickpockets.
I will keep that in mind. The moment they say something on the phone, I first google it to make sure that I know at least 80% of what they are talking. But since I am not so good in technicality of the matter(rather it's time consuming), I say something here and there and get at least some work done! May be I need to do better home work. This is the best part of having a safari/bullet. At least for me, it really helped in understanding the parts in a car, but, at an expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
HI there

There is an issue that has cropped up recently. During rainy days/high humidity days, when I use Ac, I find some water dripping on my left toe(clutch). Now I don't know where this water is coming from??? If it continues, then it might lead to some corrosion..Am I right??

Cheers
I too face the same issue. Some times i see smoke coming out of the AC vents (basically water vapor). I will go to some one else to get this thing fixed.

Last edited by bantejas : 14th July 2011 at 23:36.
Old 15th July 2011, 10:38   #3551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
duuring rainy days/high humidity days, when I use Ac, I find some water dripping on my left toe(clutch)...
Chiller tray that collects condensate might have a blocked drain or the slope of the tray may have disturbed. Small thing, do not risk taking the car to TASS for this, chances are they will break something more severe :(

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 15th July 2011 at 10:40.
Old 16th July 2011, 15:52   #3552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Tanveer, what should be the normal / correct clutch pressure ?

Dadu, I believe you got this done once at Concorde ? Can you elaborate ?

My car is at Concorde today for similar issues - clutch hard and frequent jerks in 1st, 2nd gear when releasing clutch at crawl speeds..
Yes what tanveer said is right, only if its above 17-18 bar they go for a full replacement. I have posted this earlier also(with pictures) in my ownership or here, dont remember it.

They should replace the whole assembly for the hardness.
Old 17th July 2011, 15:08   #3553
BHPian

Hello friends, a small advice needed

I just did my 3rd service fir Tata safari GX (2010 model). After taking delivery (Wednesday - June 14) I may have driven the car for hardly 20 kms . On Sunday morning when i switched on the eng the MIL indicator stayed on. I did not realise it and cranked the engine but it still stayed on. Rest there are no indications. I called the TASS and they told me that in case other lights are not on and only MIL light is on then I can drive to the TASS to decode the problem. I did some research in this thread and I have few questions

1>Is it safe to drive to TASS with light on. The TASS must be some 8-10kms from my house. Should I insist that a engineer visits my house. If they refuse what should I do.??
2>I read in this thread that some other friend from this form had the same problem after service. The TASS guys came over to his house and tightened some ECU wiring after which the light went away.
3>I had certain problems with TASS after service. Even on my second service after I got the car my headlights (dipper) went off. When I took out the relay and put it back it functioned well. When I asked TASS they said that while washng some water must have gone in and hence it happend. The put some WD40 for prevention sake. The problem never reoccured. So I was wondering whether this could be the same case of washing as when i took the car deleivery i had to wait as washing was in progress.

Do help me

Regards
Old 17th July 2011, 16:51   #3554
Senior - BHPian

Dear Lodhra, it is quite ok to drive 8-10 kms with the MIL light on if you do not notice any other change in the car's performance, during service some water/moisture enters the wiring harness or the plug gets loose resulting in the malfunction light coming on.
Old 17th July 2011, 16:59   #3555
Senior - BHPian

4 WD not engaging!!

Early this week, I had gone on a trip to a coffee plantation, there during a drive in the plantation trails, the vehicle got stuck in some slush, to my consternation, when I switched on 4H, nothing happened, no indication in the dashboard cluster and I could feel that the 4WD had not engaged, even 4L did not work, but the beast that it is, with some effort and some stones put under the wheels I managed to extricate the vehicle,

Gurus, what could be the problem, it sure does look like an electrical fault to me, but I could be grossly wrong .

I need to get the vehicle checked now and learnt an important lesson, "check 4WD operation before venturing into unknown terrain".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks