Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 23:40   #3526
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Does the Safari have an interference engine? i.e does the engine get damaged if the timing belt breaks?
Old 13th July 2011, 10:35   #3527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Does the Safari have an interference engine? i.e does the engine get damaged if the timing belt breaks?
What the heck is an interference engine? Never heard of, could you explain.

Spike
Old 13th July 2011, 11:15   #3528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the Safari have an interference engine?
Read on this forum sometime back- no it does not have an interference engine. Someone, unlike my vicarious knowledge, pls confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
What the heck is an interference engine?...
To understand in the lay term- in a interference engine, if the timing belt snaps, the moving pistons (due to inertia) will hit and 'interfere" with valves at the head causing the con-rod, valves and pistons (all or some of these) to break/bend- it is like engine homicide

more here: Interference engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 13th July 2011 at 11:17. Reason: minor addition
Old 13th July 2011, 12:04   #3529
BHPian

Quote:
The advisor at the workshop was saying that if the timing belt breaks it damages the engine and requires costly repairs. But I dont know if he was trying to make me feel happy about my bill, or was actually correct.
Old 13th July 2011, 23:16   #3530
BHPian

Actually and very unfortunate for me what bj96 has said is absolutely correct, I went to see my S.A. today and there is a lot of stuff broken as mentioned above which was caused due to the belt breaking, The only good thing for me is that my car is in warranty so it saves me from the bills but I got to part with my ride for two weeks.
Old 13th July 2011, 23:52   #3531
Senior - BHPian

Any reason @richie4u for belt snapping so soon? Was belt faulty? Mine has also completed two years (2 years, 4 months) and done about 15.5 thousand kms. Should I be worried too? How much was your ODO? Did TASS identify the reason for belt breaking?

tia,
-BJ
Old 14th July 2011, 07:21   #3532
BHPian

Even after the retro-fitments (kit A,B,C,D) if the timing belt snaps,I think this is a cause for concern for 2.2 owners IMO.
I make it a point to get the timing belt inspected by the ASC every 30K or so.It does not take much of time and at least any signs of unusual wear can be made out from visual inspection saving me from costly repairs (my Safari is out of warranty).
Old 14th July 2011, 11:56   #3533
Team-BHP Support

At around 50K I noticed very light sound from engine(rythmic). It was so faint that only in pin drop silence it could be heard. Since all belts were fine, I asked my SA to open up the timing cover and check belt. It was partially cut.
So never ignore any sounds in the safari. Take her to a lonely place and listen to her. usually, she tells you if somethings wrong
Old 14th July 2011, 12:04   #3534
BHPian

This thread is very impressive. Give a lot of knowlwdge about Safari problems and the solution to it. I have a rattling problem still existing in one of my relative's Safari. This is due to the stepney mounted on the rear door. Do we have any permanent solution to this?

Currently the spare wheel is removed, but looks are spoiled as of now.
Old 14th July 2011, 12:17   #3535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
This thread is very impressive. Give a lot of knowlwdge about Safari problems and the solution to it. I have a rattling problem still existing in one of my relative's Safari. This is due to the stepney mounted on the rear door. Do we have any permanent solution to this?

Currently the spare wheel is removed, but looks are spoiled as of now.
Yogesh ask them to take it to the TASS and request them to change the back door lock and latch that will sort out the issue.
gowda79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 12:57   #3536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Yogesh ask them to take it to the TASS and request them to change the back door lock and latch that will sort out the issue.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I think for such work, Concorde Begur gate is the one for SUVs.

Your Safari looks fantastic in white. Can you write your experience about the services and maintaining it? If already posted, please point us to the link.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:00   #3537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I think for such work, Concorde Begur gate is the one for SUVs.

Your Safari looks fantastic in white. Can you write your experience about the services and maintaining it? If already posted, please point us to the link.
My King is maintained by Concorde Motors, Mysore Road branch and they have looked after my vehicle nicely and never had any sorts of trouble with the TASS.
gowda79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 14:24   #3538
BHPian

Friends, I just came back from a weeks vacation (travel by train). To my bad luck, my Safari was not responding to my remote. I unlocked the door using the key, opened bonnet, checked the battery voltage. It reads 1.88V!

I noticed my glove box was left open when I was away. So I found the culprit, but could that be the only cause for battery drain?
Or should I be looking at other things too?
Old 14th July 2011, 14:57   #3539
BHPian

Update: MyTVS Roadside assistance came and jump started my car. Looks good, no issues so far. Cant go for a long drive now, hence kept the car idling around 1200-1500 RPM for the time being. How long should I keep it like that?
Old 14th July 2011, 15:39   #3540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Update: MyTVS Roadside assistance came and jump started my car. Looks good, no issues so far. Cant go for a long drive now, hence kept the car idling around 1200-1500 RPM for the time being. How long should I keep it like that?
I once left the bonnet light on, and within a few days the battery died. Jump started the car using a secondry battery, and kept her idling for 1 hour.
After that everything was normal.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks