Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 14:49   #3481
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hello all safari Owners,
My Safari has completed 30,000 kms and ready to go to TASS, i need your experience as is there anything specific we should look/ask for while servicing.
any specific pointers.as far as vehicle history goes it had/still has below problems.
1) As usual Clutch became too hard at around 19K, gave it to TASS in Kolkata, he changed clutch bur forgot to fit back properly as a result vehicle's clutch went Kaput while i was in MP. they fixed it back. but again clutch has become too hard.if they are going to work on it will it be chargeable? as last time it was under warranty.
FYI - My vehicle is 18 months old with extended warranty cover.
2) There is a strange Khat sound from right front. earlier it used to occasionally occur while taking full turn. But from last few days this strange noise is coming while even driving straight. Little bothered, what can go wrong here.
3) What is usual charges for 30K servicing.

Help from experienced Safari owners is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 4th July 2011, 20:06   #3482
BHPian

Hey Shubendra,

My car has gone for its 30K or fourth service too and is currently at the TASS, well I do not much regarding your other problems but regarding the service cost my S.A. gave me an estimate of 10-15K for the complete service including consumables so I guess you can expect the same too for a normal service. Prices can go a little higher for your other problems.
Old 4th July 2011, 21:12   #3483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hello all safari Owners,
My Safari has completed 30,000 kms and ready to go to TASS, i need your experience as is there anything specific we should look/ask for while servicing.
any specific pointers.as far as vehicle history goes it had/still has below problems.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Brake pads for the front discs were worn out at 30k Kms for me and it costs around 3.5k. Other than that it is only the consumables. Hope you are aware that fuel filter needs to be replaced every 15k Kms though it is mentioned as every 30k Kms in the manual and costs approx 2.5k.
Old 4th July 2011, 22:08   #3484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a strange Khat sound from right front. earlier it used to occasionally occur while taking full turn. But from last few days this strange noise is coming while even driving straight. Little bothered, what can go wrong here.

Help from experienced Safari owners is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Hi Shubendra - I read about a similar case in TSK's ownership review of his white elephant, his recent post. I think you should PM him for more details.
Old 5th July 2011, 10:00   #3485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Brake pads for the front discs were worn out at 30k Kms for me and it costs around 3.5k. Other than that it is only the consumables. Hope you are aware that fuel filter needs to be replaced every 15k Kms though it is mentioned as every 30k Kms in the manual and costs approx 2.5k.
bkishore_77:Thanks, i was not aware of this fuel filter thingy. in my older 2.2 we did change fuel filter every 15k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hey Shubendra,

My car has gone for its 30K or fourth service too and is currently at the TASS, well I do not much regarding your other problems but regarding the service cost my S.A. gave me an estimate of 10-15K for the complete service including consumables so I guess you can expect the same too for a normal service. Prices can go a little higher for your other problems.
richie4u: How much time does it take for 30k servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hi Shubendra - I read about a similar case in TSK's ownership review of his white elephant, his recent post. I think you should PM him for more details.
Thanks jkrishnakj
Old 5th July 2011, 11:06   #3486
BHPian

Quote:
richie4u: How much time does it take for 30k servicing.
Well that depends on the problems your car has(and also the lazy people at TASS as in my case) if the car has no major problems then a day is enough otherwise maybe two days.
Old 5th July 2011, 11:20   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
I got front disc pads changed from local mechanic. Rs 950 for the pads and around 300 labor. Also any reason why you recommend changing the fuel filter every 15k km?
Old 5th July 2011, 11:47   #3488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
I got front disc pads changed from local mechanic. Rs 950 for the pads and around 300 labor. Also any reason why you recommend changing the fuel filter every 15k km?
This is as per the new circular sent by TATA to TASS that the fuel filter needs to be replaced every 15k and SA'a are supposed to inform all the 2.2 VTT owners.

Is that Rs950 for the original TATA genuine parts? Coz I saw Rs3200 printed on the brake pads supplied by the spare parts dept in TASS. I usually will be standing right next to my vehicle during the whole service
Old 5th July 2011, 11:51   #3489
BHPian

Hello Members

Greetings!
My safari GX will be completing 1 year on 20th August next month. The odo reads little less than 10k mark now.

Is it advisable to change oil during the next service which is when it complete 1 year (but may not reach 15K on the odo) or stick to the manual of changing oil after 15K in the odo?

I haven't experienced any issues (except the odd gasp of power while on the move).

what other points to keep in mind after the 1 year completion service.
Thanks for your time
Keyan
Old 5th July 2011, 11:55   #3490
BHPian

Quote:
This is as per the new circular sent by TATA to TASS that the fuel filter needs to be replaced every 15k and SA'a are supposed to inform all the 2.2 VTT owners.

Is that Rs950 for the original TATA genuine parts? Coz I saw Rs3200 printed on the brake pads supplied by the spare parts dept in TASS. I usually will be standing right next to my vehicle during the whole service
The brake pads were from some good decent company, but it was not a TATA part...I buy from a local reputed shop, and they sell good stuff only. However it has been 6-7 months now so i dont remember the make.

I am unsure as to why the filter change has been advanced to 15k km. The filter has a sensor too, so it can be changed earlier if sensor flags an error, or 30K should be fine. Looks like tata motors want to oblige the part supplier and customer cost.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:14   #3491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Hope you are aware that fuel filter needs to be replaced every 15k Kms though it is mentioned as every 30k Kms in the manual and costs approx 2.5k.
Quote:
This is as per the new circular sent by TATA to TASS that the fuel filter needs to be replaced every 15k and SA'a are supposed to inform all the 2.2 VTT owners...
Kishore,

I think you have the wrong information with regard to fuel filter replacement. The 15k interval mentioned by in the service booklet is wrong, it is supposed to be 30k. This was identified a very long time back and there is a circular from TATA on the 30k interval fuel filter change.

I am not sure if you are referring to any new circular (post Dec 2009) that actually brought back the 15k interval.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:18   #3492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyank View Post
Hello Members

Greetings!
My safari GX will be completing 1 year on 20th August next month. The odo reads little less than 10k mark now.

Is it advisable to change oil during the next service which is when it complete 1 year (but may not reach 15K on the odo) or stick to the manual of changing oil after 15K in the odo?

I haven't experienced any issues (except the odd gasp of power while on the move).

what other points to keep in mind after the 1 year completion service.
Thanks for your time
Keyan
With a Tata safari, you do things buy the book. Its not about smoothness etc., its all about following the service manual.
If the manual says, get second service done at 15000kms or 1 year whichever is earlier, then get it done.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:29   #3493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Kishore,

I think you have the wrong information with regard to fuel filter replacement. The 15k interval mentioned by in the service booklet is wrong, it is supposed to be 30k. This was identified a very long time back and there is a circular from TATA on the 30k interval fuel filter change.

I am not sure if you are referring to any new circular (post Dec 2009) that actually brought back the 15k interval.
HappyWheels, I guess even you go to Concorde Motors, Mysore Road. This info was told to me by SA Mr Narasimhan, there. I had my first fuel filter replacement in 2 years(or 30k whichever is earlier). i.e in Oct2010. My odo reading was 20k

I had gone for the 30k service couple of weeks back and SA advised me to get the fuel filter replaced within next 5k Kms. He referred some circular in the recent past for these changes and they had specific instructions to pass on these info to all the owners. Could you please confirm with Mr Reddy.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:30   #3494
BHPian

thanks TSK, will follow the manual and as you say. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
With a Tata safari, you do things buy the book. Its not about smoothness etc., its all about following the service manual.
If the manual says, get second service done at 15000kms or 1 year whichever is earlier, then get it done.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:42   #3495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HappyWheels, I guess even you go to Concorde Motors, Mysore Road. This info was told to me by SA Mr Narasimhan, there. I had my first fuel filter replacement in 2 years(or 30k whichever is earlier). i.e in Oct2010. My odo reading was 20k

I had gone for the 30k service couple of weeks back and SA advised me to get the fuel filter replaced within next 5k Kms. He referred some circular in the recent past for these changes and they had specific instructions to pass on these info to all the owners. Could you please confirm with Mr Reddy.
Yes, same place.

Strange that Narasimhan mentioned this.

Gowda (Raghu): Can you please help here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks