Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2011, 18:11   #3451
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Just in case, please get the security system checked. My Autocops has a function where you would not be able to start the vehicle. I disconnected the wires since it was rather a hassle if it does not work.

Tata helpline number is 1-800-209-7979. They will tow your vehicle for free to the nearest service station, if you are on a yearly plan (Rs. 550 plus tax I guess).
Old 20th June 2011, 09:40   #3452
BHPian

Others have covered all the possibilities. I would add another one about a faulty starting motor. Some times the carbon brush in the motor may not 'connect' correctly which would result in the motor not working in one position.

Engage 4th or 5th gear and turn off the key. Give a nudge so that the engine turns just a little. Then try the starting motor. I had this problem in my Safari just after 3 months of buying. They changed the motor. But until that time, I managed to get the car started by just nudging it when it refused.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:55   #3453
BHPian

Re: 3rd Service Done

Total Rs.3075 only for misc tasks, and none for the 3rd service.

Place: Concorde Electronic City, Bangalore (Begur Road)
SA: Tulsi Das

Finally, the AMC booklet was found with KHT. Salesperson left the job and forgot to hand it over to me, and I too forgot to follow-up.

Important things learned:
Dealer has to register the AMC & Warranty certificates into TATA's computer system. Or else, it's just a booklet without any value. It took a while for KHT to speak to the concerned people to make it appear in their network system.

Misc tasks paid:
1) Latch t/gate w/link ........................ 55
2) Dove tail body side ........................ 55
3) Rubber stopper ............................. 47
4) Labor for rear door latch retro-fitment 1200 << will have to speak to Concorde for this hefty charge. SA claims it's a 7 hour work!
5) Fob lamp assl ............................... 1128
6) Bulb ........................................... 105 << wonder why they didn't reuse from the old fog assl.
7) Labor for fog repl .......................... 150

Observation:
1) Drives as normal as before, nothing noticeable difference
2) Power loss, no change. Continues to happen around 1800 RPM
3) Rear (boot) door latches nicely. Yet to go to rough surface to observe the rattle.
4) Wash is good, but guys have left greases on the interior roof. Same it was with KHT, they don't change even if I draw their attention.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:56   #3454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I have experienced everything else working fine including the stereo but the vehicle stil doesnt crank, I agree some starter movement should be there but if more than 1 or 2 battery cells go dead it will be the same symptoms.

No harm is getting a battery guy to check and/or Jump start as suggested by Jaysmokesleaves. Its the easiest thing to do.
Thanks Jay and Dadu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Just in case, please get the security system checked. My Autocops has a function where you would not be able to start the vehicle. I disconnected the wires since it was rather a hassle if it does not work.

Tata helpline number is 1-800-209-7979. They will tow your vehicle for free to the nearest service station, if you are on a yearly plan (Rs. 550 plus tax I guess).
Thanks suman for the helpline number.Even i was doubting my autocop and disconnected it and tried.But no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Others have covered all the possibilities. I would add another one about a faulty starting motor. Some times the carbon brush in the motor may not 'connect' correctly which would result in the motor not working in one position.

Engage 4th or 5th gear and turn off the key. Give a nudge so that the engine turns just a little. Then try the starting motor. I had this problem in my Safari just after 3 months of buying. They changed the motor. But until that time, I managed to get the car started by just nudging it when it refused.
I guess Prowler you are right here.

After Dadu and Jay insisted that I get the battery checked I called on a local known mechanic who deals in auto electricals he checked the battery cells as well as the starter.
And it turns out that the starter got burnt when the concorde motor's breakdown guy cranked the engine in excess of what was required when the vehicle was in 1st gear.

Now the starter has been opened and my mechanic has dashed for JC road to get some bosch parts to be replaced.The estimated cost is around Rs. 2160 including his labour costs.Says if I go for local parts the cost would be around 1500/-. I chose the original bosch parts.Don't want to get stranded again.

I hate the way the concorde breakdown guy was handling my vehicle and the ruthlessness with which he was shifting gears.Felt as thought the gear level might just end up in his hand when he exits the vehicle.And now the burnt starter motor confirmed my feelings

Called up my service advisor in concorde(Mr. Asaf) who is a gentleman and has been very nice in all his dealings and reported this issue.He also confirmed that the particular breakdown guy is very arrogant and lacks skills.
Did not wait to ask him why the hell is he still being employed.

Anyways just feel pity for people who have to pay for the mistakes of stupid arrogant technicians from the reputed service centres.
Old 25th June 2011, 22:50   #3455
Senior - BHPian

My Safari has little camber misalignment. Do you suggest me to do alignment of my Safari at this place (Tyre Plus, Varthur Road, Marathalli) ? They said quite confidently that they do shim replacement of Safari and they have many Safari customers. Here is alignment reading of my Safari after tyre rotation and balancing. Right tyre's camber out of position and left one also on boundary.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-scan0005.jpg
Old 26th June 2011, 14:40   #3456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
My Safari has little camber misalignment. Do you suggest me to do alignment of my Safari at this place (Tyre Plus, Varthur Road, Marathalli) ? They said quite confidently that they do shim replacement of Safari and they have many Safari customers. Here is alignment reading of my Safari after tyre rotation and balancing. Right tyre's camber out of position and left one also on boundary.

Attachment 566444
i would suggest get it done ASAP. since i had a similar problem, and these guys are my friends, so i am a regular person there.

we can delay it, it might later cause impact on the tyres & SUspensions(i guess as told by a mechanic).
Old 27th June 2011, 11:16   #3457
Senior - BHPian

Anuj the alignment values they have used are correct , I really do not know if they can replace the Shims or not .. Technically it is just removing one strip at a time and checking the alignment again , If you have seen them doing this get it done else go to T.A.S.S.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:19   #3458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Disengage the central locking, just remove its wire from the battery for some time, and then observe. I had a problem in starting the car on hot engine, it in the end turned out to be some issue with the self. I had to almost force the service advisor to open up the self and send to lucas for checking. Once the self came back, did not have any problem with hot starting the car.
Don't know how to do that. I sent the car to Tata service station and they kept it with them for 2 days but same problem persists. The stereo and A/c get switched off at every bump. Also, the central locking opens and closes at its free will. Sometimes, even key does not open the door.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:48   #3459
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

As usual I wanted to know your trusted advice before I knock at the doors of T.A.S.S.

This past weekend I made a trip to the hills. On inclines, with 6 adults packed in the Safari, and as I would start to pull the SUV over the incline (generally from stand still)it would give out a 'pataang' type of a sound from the suspension. The sound resembles as if two metal pieces in tension suddenly snap. An another example to explain the sound would be one which my mother used to describe it, like that of a sudden tyre bursting sound of a 2 wheeler, with lower decibels.

So the sound has been only encountered when the car is being pulled against some resistance. On highways or otherwise, I have never heard this sound. Please give pointers as to whats the reason for this sound. Thanks.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:52   #3460
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi all,

As usual I wanted to know your trusted advice before I knock at the doors of T.A.S.S.

This past weekend I made a trip to the hills. On inclines, with 6 adults packed in the Safari, and as I would start to pull the SUV over the incline (generally from stand still)it would give out a 'pataang' type of a sound from the suspension. The sound resembles as if two metal pieces in tension suddenly snap. An another example to explain the sound would be one which my mother used to describe it, like that of a sudden tyre bursting sound of a 2 wheeler, with lower decibels.

So the sound has been only encountered when the car is being pulled against some resistance. On highways or otherwise, I have never heard this sound. Please give pointers as to whats the reason for this sound. Thanks.
Were you using the hand brake for the start from stand still on an incline? If so, it coule be brake jamming and releasing. Rear drum would need to be opened and inspected.
Differential could be an issue, but it rarely happens on 2WD safaris.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:16   #3461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Were you using the hand brake for the start from stand still on an incline? If so, it coule be brake jamming and releasing. Rear drum would need to be opened and inspected.
Differential could be an issue, but it rarely happens on 2WD safaris.
Yes, I generally employ the hand brake when starting from stand still. But now that I recollect, a month back while on the Shima - Rohru road, which is in a terrible state, and forced me to trade between 1st and 2nd gears almost every second, I would intermittently get this type of a sound as I would accelerate hard as soon as I drop to the lower gear, so as to revv the engine harder ( for instance to overtake a truck on an incline).
Old 28th June 2011, 19:27   #3462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

Attachment 566444
Hi Anuj

Last time, I also did alignent, balancing and rotation at this place only since it is on my way to home. I dont understand these numbers, so I'm not able to say whether they did a good job last time I visited them.

I did feel they're expensive compared to Madhus on Langford road though.

By the way, for getting this alignment report, do you have to pay anything or is it free?
My Safari also it is time to do alignment, balancing and rotation.
Old 29th June 2011, 21:07   #3463
Senior - BHPian

Just for information

BU Bhandari has the best equip for Safari Alignment. Never fails to impress me and the charge is 200-250 bucks.

I have seen around all the TASS and others competition in market. I find them to be reliable and upto mark. Though they are now private garage
Old 30th June 2011, 13:57   #3464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Hi Anuj

Last time, I also did alignent, balancing and rotation at this place only since it is on my way to home. I dont understand these numbers, so I'm not able to say whether they did a good job last time I visited them.

I did feel they're expensive compared to Madhus on Langford road though.

By the way, for getting this alignment report, do you have to pay anything or is it free?
My Safari also it is time to do alignment, balancing and rotation.
It is better to get the alignment done at the TASS instead of breaking head outside.
Old 30th June 2011, 14:32   #3465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
It is better to get the alignment done at the TASS instead of breaking head outside.
The alignement equipment at Concorde for instance, does not suit alloy wheels - even OE wheels. They have to get a set of steel wheels with tyres fixed on the vehicle for getting readings and change it back once the job is done. Due to this reason they hesitate to take up the task and force you to get it done outside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks