Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 16:17   #3436
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

I have a Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT 2008 model. Tecently the car has started giving trouble again. While running, the A/c gets switched off, the stereo is switched off, central locking opens etc.

I took the car for service at Dynamic Automobiles, Noida and they changed the ignition switch of the car. For a few days, the car was fine but day before yesterday, the same problems reappeared.

What's more, while I was leaving the office the evening, the car went DEAD. It just won't start with the key. There was no reaction from the ignition. All lights were working, central locking and stereo were working but engine won't start. Next day, when the mechanic came, after a few tries, the car started on its own.

Now, Dynamic Automobiles is telling me it is a problem of Central Locking (because it was installed externally, Cobra). But how can central locking immobilize the car when it has no connection with the ignition. It only controls the door locks, nothing else. Please help!
Old 16th June 2011, 16:53   #3437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Folks,

Mr Reddy, the technical lead(well regarded in this community) advised to go for the replacement of the part under extended warranty. On raising the request, the warranty team came back saying they cannot honor this request saying I dint go for the oil change at the scheduled interval buying from them.

Any suggestions on how to take it forward?

cheers
Kishore your problem will be sorted out and they will replace the Clutch plate under the extended warranty and i hope they would have called you by the time i posted this message, enjoy the drive and do as per the A.S.S. suggestion in future.
Old 16th June 2011, 16:59   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajit_72 View Post
Now, Dynamic Automobiles is telling me it is a problem of Central Locking (because it was installed externally, Cobra). But how can central locking immobilize the car when it has no connection with the ignition. It only controls the door locks, nothing else. Please help!
Is it just plain central locking, or also has the usual Alarm thing when opened without remote (security system)?

Asking cause I had a security system installed in the car and when it went kaput (came to know about that later), I used to have trouble starting the car with occasional no response when cranking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For the ladakh circuit, you will be doing high passes, so best bet is to take her up after around 3000kms on the odo.
first service is 1500kms, second service is 5000 now I think?
You can take her after completing second service.

If second service is at 15000, you can take her up after some 3000kms are done.
Yeah the second service is at 15K Km mark and I will be trying to do that fast.

So I take it that it's okay if I take it to Ladakh, say around 5-6K Km?

MODS: Sorry, I made back to back posts by mistake, please merge them.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th June 2011 at 17:12.
Old 16th June 2011, 17:13   #3439
Team-BHP Support

No problem, you can take it to ladakh around 5-6K kms.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 14:55   #3440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Kishore your problem will be sorted out and they will replace the Clutch plate under the extended warranty and i hope they would have called you by the time i posted this message, enjoy the drive and do as per the A.S.S. suggestion in future.
Yes. everything was amicably resolved. Thanks to Mr Reddy and Anoop(Services Manager) who went that extra mile in getting things done. Overall a thoroughly satisfied customer with the Concorde Motors Service.

Thanks Gowdre for that call

cheers
Old 17th June 2011, 16:14   #3441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajit_72 View Post
What's more, while I was leaving the office the evening, the car went DEAD. It just won't start with the key. There was no reaction from the ignition. All lights were working, central locking and stereo were working but engine won't start. Next day, when the mechanic came, after a few tries, the car started on its own.

Disengage the central locking, just remove its wire from the battery for some time, and then observe. I had a problem in starting the car on hot engine, it in the end turned out to be some issue with the self. I had to almost force the service advisor to open up the self and send to lucas for checking. Once the self came back, did not have any problem with hot starting the car.
Old 18th June 2011, 18:30   #3442
BHPian

I see that similar issues have been discussed in this thread but mine seems to be a bit stranger.

Had to go to airport today to pick up wifey so got into my safari and cranked the engine.It was about to start , but suddenly everything went dead.No cluster lights, nothing.

Thought it might be a drained out battery but somehow the horn was working with its full mettle.

Tried to check all the fuses but found no fault.
Frustrated called up tata breakdown and a guy arrived from concorde.
He also started checking the fuses but was handling everything very rougly.Pulling the cables to check whether there was any loose contact but I felt there would be a loose contact arising with the way he was pulling everything apart.

But suddenly the cluster lights came to life.Even the music system started to play.Then he jumped into the safari and tried to start it.Since it was in 1st gear it stalled.Then he literally tore apart the gear box to bring the vehicle into neutral.And then the engine won't crank.

Now the situation was that the cluster lights, audio everything was working but no response from the engine.

This he ruled to be a fault with the starter.And said that we would have to push start it.I did not agree because I have read that its not recommended and secondly I had no intention to push my safari out of the small basement onto the open road fearing what if it doesn't start I would have my beast blocking the entire road and there was no way 2 people could have pushed it back to the basement.
So I asked him to get the vehicle towed to concorde.To which he replied that they don't have a towing vehicle and I would have to get it towed myself using some private tow vehicle.
I was so pissed off with the roughness he handled my vehicle and lack of skills that I asked him to leave as I was getting late for the airport.

Now the safari is parked in my basement with the following situation.
1. The cluster lights and everything come up on turning the key but no response, not even a cranking noise from the engine.
2. I will have get the vehicle towed till the service station to at least get it started.

I am not very comfortable towing my safari to the service station.

Wanted to know if any bhpians have faced similar situation and is there any workaround to this issue.

And does anyone have the breakdown service numbers of prerana motors or green wheels(i guess thats the name of the service station in madivala, not sure though) so that I can have an alternate opinion.

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th June 2011, 18:35   #3443
Senior - BHPian

Seems like a weak battery or faulty starter, get the battery and the voltage to the starter checked(while you crank) to begin with.
Old 18th June 2011, 18:47   #3444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Seems like a weak battery or faulty starter, get the battery and the voltage to the starter checked(while you crank) to begin with.
Dadu,
Even if it is a weak battery then at least the cranking noise should come right?
I mean at least some starting effort would be there.Also the horn and the audio system as showing no signs of the battery being weak.

Anyways as you mentioned the starter, can it be a problem with the starter?
Old 18th June 2011, 19:02   #3445
Team-BHP Support

ITs a fault with your wiring harness.
Did you take tata 24x7. Under that you get free tow and roadside assistance
Old 18th June 2011, 19:19   #3446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
ITs a fault with your wiring harness.
Did you take tata 24x7. Under that you get free tow and roadside assistance
Thanks for the pointer Tanveer. Will get it checked.
But what I fail to understand is when the breakdown guy started the vehicle the first time after the cluster lights came on the vehicle was about to start but stalled since it was in first gear.
After that there has been no response on cranking.

Btw, can you please pass on the Tata 24x7 phone number.

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 18th June 2011 at 19:20.
Old 18th June 2011, 20:37   #3447
Senior - BHPian

Its happened with me. It happens when there is a lose contact with the battery terminal.
The terminal looks to be tight but actually isnt. So remove the terminal, clean it with sandpaper(both battery terminal & Wire terminal) then screw it really tight. Hope this helps, else there's some other problem.
Old 18th June 2011, 20:49   #3448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Its happened with me. It happens when there is a lose contact with the battery terminal.
The terminal looks to be tight but actually isnt. So remove the terminal, clean it with sandpaper(both battery terminal & Wire terminal) then screw it really tight. Hope this helps, else there's some other problem.
Jay,
Earlier the battery terminal contacts weren't fine and hence the cluster lights were not glowing.But I disconnected and then connected again and the cluster lights were working , so assuming now no loose contact exists now.

But the engine won't crank.I can hear the "Click Sound" for the starter relay when I turned the key (so that was ok) and also the fuse is ok.

So it has to be some loose contact in the wires.Will check it tomorrow early morning.But for sure won't have any sleep tonight.
Old 18th June 2011, 20:52   #3449
Senior - BHPian

Did you try jumpstarting with another battery. The horn working is an insufficient sign. The starter requires more power than the horn and music system.
By jumpstarting you can ensure whether your battery is ok or not before you take it to the TASS so they cannot confuse you later.
Old 19th June 2011, 10:20   #3450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Dadu,
Even if it is a weak battery then at least the cranking noise should come right?
I mean at least some starting effort would be there.Also the horn and the audio system as showing no signs of the battery being weak.

Anyways as you mentioned the starter, can it be a problem with the starter?
I have experienced everything else working fine including the stereo but the vehicle stil doesnt crank, I agree some starter movement should be there but if more than 1 or 2 battery cells go dead it will be the same symptoms.

No harm is getting a battery guy to check and/or Jump start as suggested by Jaysmokesleaves. Its the easiest thing to do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks