Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 08:33   #3421
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

hey guys...need some urgent advice. the rains in bombay have truly arrived and with it, incessant crawling in traffic. so, after a bout of heavy stop start traffic, my 2.2 safari starts to hassle with engaging 1st and at times even the 2nd gear. in fact after a bit, it flat refuses to engage 1st, but will engage 3rd and 4th...

am i looking at an expensive clutch overhaul with new plates et al, or is this a more benign issue? a relevant point that must be mentioned is that my master cylinder (clutch) was changed about 3 months ago, since it had given up its ghost after almost 3 years of driving. could it be a simple bleed problem, or more sinister?

there's 55 thousand on the clock by the way.

biting fingernails at the thought of major money flying away! thanks in advance for the 'deluge' of answers that are bound to flow in!!!

ak
Old 15th June 2011, 09:31   #3422
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't sound like a clutch problem. More like the clutch is not depressed fully when attempting to change gears.

When trying to engage 1st, try a short tap on the accelerator pedal with the clutch depressed. Usually it will slot into 1st after the first tap itself; if not, repeat once more
Old 15th June 2011, 11:56   #3423
BHPian

3rd Service / Engine Oil choice

Hi,

Just returned from Concorde EC (Bangalore) leaving my GX for 3rd Service.

SA was coaxing me to opt for Synthetic oil instead of OEM. Synthetic costs Rs.1000 per litre while the normal one costs about Rs.300. Also, since it's a switch from normal to Synthetic, a Flush is also required, which costs Rs.1200.

Is Synthetic Oil essential for 2.2 Dicor?
If true, then does a Flush required as well?

Kindly advice.

I have AMC, so that will offset about Rs.2100 for 7 lt oil.

Thanks,
Mahesh
Old 15th June 2011, 13:01   #3424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Hi,

Just returned from Concorde EC (Bangalore) leaving my GX for 3rd Service.

SA was coaxing me to opt for Synthetic oil instead of OEM. Synthetic costs Rs.1000 per litre while the normal one costs about Rs.300. Also, since it's a switch from normal to Synthetic, a Flush is also required, which costs Rs.1200.

Is Synthetic Oil essential for 2.2 Dicor?
If true, then does a Flush required as well?

Kindly advice.

I have AMC, so that will offset about Rs.2100 for 7 lt oil.

Thanks,
Mahesh
Since you have an AMC they are trying other ways to part you from your money.
Don't bother about synthetic and flush .. keep on saying NO like a parrot to following things unless you have severe itch to lighten your wallet

1. Any suggestion for synthetic oil
2. any kind of de-carobization additive treatment before at-least 40K
2. 3M paint protection
3. Interior cleaning
4. Nitrogen filling
5. Premium Diesel
6. Any performance filters.

Lesser they touch your vehicle longer it will serve you.
amitk26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 13:05   #3425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Since you have an AMC they are trying other ways to part you from your money. Don't bother about synthetic and flush .. keep on saying NO like a parrot to following things unless you have severe itch to lighten your wallet

1. Any suggestion for synthetic oil
2. any kind of de-carobization additive treatment before at-least 40K
2. 3M paint protection
3. Interior cleaning
4. Nitrogen filling
5. Premium Diesel
6. Any performance filters.
I completely agree!! I have been offered most of these and my answer has been a 'NO' for everything consistently.

Quote:
Well said!
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 13:56   #3426
Team-BHP Support

Fully agree with amit.
Do only things mentioned in service book.With AMC, all that is free. Make sure you make them change gear oil etc., under AMC at the recommended intervals.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 15:11   #3427
BHPian

Quote:
Great! Thanks guys. I called the SA and asked him not to use Synthetic oil, a clear 5.5K savings. And yes, Gear oil is also covered under AMC.

Now, I only have to pay for

1) Rear door lock retrofitting, Rs.1800. I get constant rattling and it doesn't close neatly. They intend to replace with a Sumo Grande latch and 3 rubber bushes on the top.

@Amit: 2 years back, it costed you around Rs.650, but now they are quoting Rs.1800. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1427886

2) Right front fog lamp assembly, Rs.1400 + Rs.150 labor. Shattered during an offroading near Hoskote (actually there's no road left on NH13 mining stretch). Could live with the current one, but worried of water logging in the broken lamp.
Old 15th June 2011, 16:37   #3428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rear door lock retrofitting, Rs.1800. I get constant rattling and it doesn't close neatly. They intend to replace with a Sumo Grande latch and 3 rubber bushes on the top.
I thought your's was a 2010 model and hence should have come with the dove-tail type latch. I have it on my Nov 2009 model!

Quote:
Right front fog lamp assembly, Rs.1400 + Rs.150 labor. Shattered during an offroading near Hoskote (actually there's no road left on NH13 mining stretch). Could live with the current one, but worried of water logging in the broken lamp.
If I have my geography right, NH-13 and Hoskote are hundreds of kms apart. I believe you meant Hospet. Nevertheless, how did you manage to break the rear fog lamp on bad roads??
Old 15th June 2011, 16:43   #3429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Doesn't sound like a clutch problem. More like the clutch is not depressed fully when attempting to change gears.

When trying to engage 1st, try a short tap on the accelerator pedal with the clutch depressed. Usually it will slot into 1st after the first tap itself; if not, repeat once more
no mano. thats definitely not the case. the ruddy thing starts up only when i've given the clutch a bit of stick by virtue of being in bumper to bumper traffic for a while.

if there's prolonged driving with a lot of gear changes (in 1st and 2nd) it creeps into the 2nd gear slotting as well, so it almost feels like the clutch heating up has something to do with my travails.

she is treated like a baby, and i HATE the way the gears grind when the problem begins. FYI starting out in the morning is a piece of cake and smooth as silk. it only gets to be a pain in all the wrong places in extended bumper to bumper traffic.

*groan*
Old 15th June 2011, 19:03   #3430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I thought your's was a 2010 model and hence should have come with the dove-tail type latch. I have it on my Nov 2009 model!
Yes, mine is Sep 2010. Not very sure of the kind of retrofitting, but SA told me that he will do how it is in Sumo Grande.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
If I have my geography right, NH-13 and Hoskote are hundreds of kms apart. I believe you meant Hospet. Nevertheless, how did you manage to break the rear fog lamp on bad roads??
Oh yeah. You are right, I meant to write Hospet.
Old 15th June 2011, 20:52   #3431
BHPian

Folks,

Need your opinion on this issue. I had taken my safari to concorde Motors, Mysore Rd, for the 4th free service which had clocked 30k. The clutch had become hard and there was a slight sound coming from the wheel bearing.

Mr Reddy, the technical lead(well regarded in this community) advised to go for the replacement of the part under extended warranty. On raising the request, the warranty team came back saying they cannot honor this request saying I dint go for the oil change at the scheduled interval buying from them.
I had actually procured Mobil delvac which is API-CI plus standard from outside and given it to them during my 2nd and 3rd service.

A note was also made in the service history as "oil supplied by the customer". Now is this a ground enough to deny warranty. The oil given by me is a superior one to that of A.S.S used castrol gtx which is API ch4 standard. Is anyone aware of any clauses in the extended warranty that says you need to buy the oil from A.S.S only else it voids the warranty.

Anyway, I met the Services manager and convinced him to take this as a one off case. He has agreed to look into the issue as a goodwill gesture but still have not heard from him.

Any suggestions on how to take it forward?

cheers

Last edited by bkishore_77 : 15th June 2011 at 20:53.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:04   #3432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Folks,

Need your opinion on this issue. I had taken my safari to concorde Motors, Mysore Rd, for the 4th free service which had clocked 30k. The clutch had become hard and there was a slight sound coming from the wheel bearing.

Mr Reddy, the technical lead(well regarded in this community) advised to go for the replacement of the part under extended warranty. On raising the request, the warranty team came back saying they cannot honor this request saying I dint go for the oil change at the scheduled interval buying from them.
I had actually procured Mobil delvac which is API-CI plus standard from outside and given it to them during my 2nd and 3rd service.

A note was also made in the service history as "oil supplied by the customer". Now is this a ground enough to deny warranty. The oil given by me is a superior one to that of A.S.S used castrol gtx which is API ch4 standard. Is anyone aware of any clauses in the extended warranty that says you need to buy the oil from A.S.S only else it voids the warranty.

Anyway, I met the Services manager and convinced him to take this as a one off case. He has agreed to look into the issue as a goodwill gesture but still have not heard from him.

Any suggestions on how to take it forward?

cheers
Its the Insurance company (or rather the Insurance guy there), you need to log a complaint with the TATA Customer service guy stationed there, giving them copy of the servicing done.

Anyways oil has no relation to the Clutch as this is a dry clutch.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:56   #3433
BHPian

AMC booklet

Hmmm ... in a very odd situation.

I vaguely remember that I signed a document, which KHT mentioned that it would be fed in the computer and AMC would be mailed by TATA directly to me.

I don't remember handing it over to Service guys, I am quite meticulous in keeping copies of document, but AMC is missing.

Now, Concorde calls me to say that AMC is not showing up in the system. KHT says they issued it but yet to trace the contract number. Called up TATA motors customer care, the rep there says that he can't help, only the dealer can do any assistance.

Who is true and what should I do?
Old 16th June 2011, 13:32   #3434
BHPian

Hey fellas, had a couple of noob questions:

1. What's the ideal running-in number of Km for VTT 4x4? I won't go beyond 2K RPM before those number of Km are done.

2. After how many Km should I start off roading in 4x4? How many Km should the car have done to enable me to safely take it to, say the wilderness of Ladakh (Chushul, Nyoma, Chumur, etc.)? Can that be done after 1st service?
Old 16th June 2011, 16:09   #3435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hey fellas, had a couple of noob questions:

1. What's the ideal running-in number of Km for VTT 4x4? I won't go beyond 2K RPM before those number of Km are done.
1500kms is fine.

Quote:
2. After how many Km should I start off roading in 4x4? How many Km should the car have done to enable me to safely take it to, say the wilderness of Ladakh (Chushul, Nyoma, Chumur, etc.)? Can that be done after 1st service?
You can engage 4x4 on day one itself as long as you are not exceeding around 2300rpm.
For the ladakh circuit, you will be doing high passes, so best bet is to take her up after around 3000kms on the odo.
first service is 1500kms, second service is 5000 now I think?
You can take her after completing second service.

If second service is at 15000, you can take her up after some 3000kms are done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks