Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:08   #3376
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Friends,

Will the existing battery & alternator factory setup support the power requirements of a winch. Im thinking of installing one.
Or will this require mods to the alternator, fuses etc?
Also, will this installation cause any problems for the other wiring/electricals on the Safari?
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:32   #3377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Friends,

Will the existing battery & alternator factory setup support the power requirements of a winch. Im thinking of installing one.
Also, will this installation cause any problems for the other wiring/electricals on the Safari?
Get a Separate wiring with fuse done, do not fiddle with the OEM wiring. You should be fine after that.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:12   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Friends,

I checked out one Winch running on 12 V supply - capable of hauling 2268 Kg (5000 lb). It consumes about 350 A at the rated load. Safari's battery 80/85 AH can probably supply this current for barely a few seconds. You will surely need to draw heavy duty cable to connect directly from the battery through suitably rated fuse to the winch. As Dadu said, you can't use any of the OEM wiring harness for this kind of load.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:20   #3379
BHPian

Just replace the shoes of my Safari. Got a Geolander AT. Wanted to check if the tyre pressure would be any different from what is already stated in the manual. ie Laden - 35 & 32 and Unladen - 35 & 30.

The tyre guy told me to keep it at 30 & 30 if only single or double person.

Do advice.
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:10   #3380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Just replace the shoes of my Safari. Got a Geolander AT. Wanted to check if the tyre pressure would be any different from what is already stated in the manual. ie Laden - 35 & 32 and Unladen - 35 & 30.

The tyre guy told me to keep it at 30 & 30 if only single or double person.

Do advice.
If the size is OEM, keep it at 30-35 as recommended in the manual, unless fully loaded.
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:22   #3381
BHPian

Thanks dadu. Yes it is the OEM size.
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:31   #3382
BHPian

friends,

just noticed today, the rear right of my safari is around a 1cm -1.5 cm lower than the left side. I measured this from highest point of the rear wheel arch to the ground on both sides and found the difference (the truck was standing on a flat ground when i measured). The front measurement is equal. My truck has done 60K kms, and the rear bushes have not been replaced as yet. Is my suspicion about the bushes correct or can it be a bigger replacement (springs etc)?

Last edited by trance_nut : 3rd June 2011 at 22:32.
Old 4th June 2011, 09:10   #3383
Senior - BHPian

I asked the TASS about the anti theft system in the Safari.
Im told, that apart from the theft lock alarm for the doors the immoboilizer function is different from the Scorpio.
Im told that in the Safari, the vehicle(starter) can be cranked but it wont start.
Can anyone elaborate on the antitheft system on the Safari.
Old 4th June 2011, 09:49   #3384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
friends,

just noticed today, the rear right of my safari is around a 1cm -1.5 cm lower than the left side. I measured this from highest point of the rear wheel arch to the ground on both sides and found the difference (the truck was standing on a flat ground when i measured). The front measurement is equal. My truck has done 60K kms, and the rear bushes have not been replaced as yet. Is my suspicion about the bushes correct or can it be a bigger replacement (springs etc)?
Nothing wrong , dont bother, you will find the same in a new safari too.
Old 4th June 2011, 15:41   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Agree with Dadu. My Sep 2010 Safari also has this - I always thought it was slightly tilted to right when looking from behind, but thought I'm imagining.
Now this is confirmation to me that other Safaris have it too!
Old 5th June 2011, 20:18   #3386
BHPian

Hi all, Well now that the rains have started, the safari RVM's get completely covered with rain drops when its raining which makes driving a bit difficult so is there any product or method so as to reduce this problem , I mean like any kind of mirror polish that will reduce the amount of water droplets sticking to it or something?
Old 5th June 2011, 22:31   #3387
BHPian

Isn't the defogger helping? when defogger/demister is switched on, it heats orvm as well, though it is said to have timer to cutoff.

Viju
Old 5th June 2011, 22:39   #3388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Agree with Dadu. My Sep 2010 Safari also has this - I always thought it was slightly tilted to right when looking from behind, but thought I'm imagining.
Now this is confirmation to me that other Safaris have it too!
The same height difference was evident in most Sierras and was one of the biggest puzzles Sierra owners tried solve. Finally realized as one of those things in genes :-)

Now we know Safari shares the same bloodline!
Old 6th June 2011, 10:12   #3389
BHPian

Need Help to understand weird Battery Drain issue.

Hi All experts, I seek your help to understand a very weird issue that happened to my car yesterday.

I have a June 2009 GX

The Car has been running fine with no issues, Yesterday around noon I drove to my uncle's place about 8 Kms away.

I was planning to return in the evening around 6:20 PM, when I tried to open the car with the remote, it didn;t open. It was as if the opening sequence was stuck in between,
the indicators and the parking light came on and were solidly ON.

I opened the car with the key, I was fearing that the siren would come on, but nothing happened. but the indicators and the parking light went off slowly.
switching the ignition on didn't have any affect, there were no lights on in the panel.

The inner light was very dim leading me to believe that the battery had drained.

On checking the battery voltage, it came to 5 Volts !!!

I called TATA 24X7 assistance, after 2 hours of taking to various people, one breakdown guy finally arrived, He declared that the battery had drained.

He then connected the Jumper cables to his car's battery and all the systems in the car came up fine.

We then jump started the car and after about 5 mins of revving, we were able to turn of and turn on the engine 3 times on our own, that indicated that the battery was probably charging fine.

The breakdown guy didn't know how the battery got discharged and asked me to go to the service station.

Other pertinent info

> I am sure no lights were on in the car when I parked around Noon.
> I usually leave the stereo and the blower on, as removing the key switched them off automatically,
> the rear blower/AC was actually also left on, but I believe this too switches off on turning off the ignition.
> Battery is about 2 years old, is the original that came with the car. Have had no issues with it. it used to start the car even when the car was left parked for about 2 weeks.

I am very puzzled as to how the battery could have drained. Any ideas??
Old 6th June 2011, 13:25   #3390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman77 View Post
Need Help to understand weird Battery Drain issue.
I am very puzzled as to how the battery could have drained. Any ideas??
Charge the battery fully and wait for a couple of hours and then check the battery voltage. It should be around 12V.
The possibility is the car was not running enough to keep the battery fully charged. If you do the running in the evening for short distance with AC and accessories on, your battery may not get the chance to charge to the full. Lead Acid batteries don't take kindly to being kept in a low charge level.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks