Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 09:12   #3346
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

^^ Right, didn't have to cut open or do anything else, except open the back cover of the headlamp, remove the bulb and replace with the new ones.

However, I drove a little yesterday night with headlights and didn't find any major difference from the OEM bulbs. The spread seemed little better, and the color of the light was slightly white bluish, whereas OEM was more on yellow side.
I'm not sure if it is coincidence but I missed a couple of times people about to cross road in front and realised in last minute. Maybe my eyes are taking time to get used to the new light.

I'll try for some more time, tomorrow night have a night drive to Kannyakumari. If not entirely satisfied I"ll just get back to OEM lights - It is not that I didn't like the OEM bulbs, I was pretty happy with them, but just that the itch to do something to the Safari and so went and replaced with Philips Xtreme Vision just to see how better it is.
Especially since the OEM bulbs were also Philips and looked very very similar to the ones Xtreme Vision.
Old 19th May 2011, 09:19   #3347
Senior - BHPian

Re: Muffled Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
This doesn't need to cut open the cover, right?

BTW, my new horn (Bosch dual tone like Skoda's) sounds muffled.

What could have gone wrong?
Is it repairable?
This horn is not sealed, it has 4 screws around.

Kindly advice.

Thanks,
Mahesh
Hi Mahesh, I had such horns in my 800 which I sold. These horns are not reliable and produce different sound in different weather.

1. You need to fit that horn in extreme secure place, where there is no chance of water seepage (unlike OEM horn place). If little amount of water go inside you will not get desired output. You can do this by positioning its loudspeaker opening to downwards.

2. Also, due to heavy load on outer side, many time these horns tend to loose from the mounting place and sound changes.

3. Also, there are four nuts and bolts which holds the horns. Sometimes, these nuts & bolts go loose & fell and result weird sound.

4. Horn body should not touch any other things. It should only hang through mounting plates. If it touches something, it produces weird sound.

5. Alignment of these horns go weird in no time. You need to do alignment occasionally (Through screw given) for proper sound output.

I used to open myself clean it and then close it. I faced all of the above problems in that horn. After cleaning, it used to sound original.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by anujmishra : 19th May 2011 at 09:22.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 10:46   #3348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
^^ Right, didn't have to cut open or do anything else, except open the back cover of the headlamp, remove the bulb and replace with the new ones.

However, I drove a little yesterday night with headlights and didn't find any major difference from the OEM bulbs. The spread seemed little better, and the color of the light was slightly white bluish, whereas OEM was more on yellow side.
I'm not sure if it is coincidence but I missed a couple of times people about to cross road in front and realised in last minute. Maybe my eyes are taking time to get used to the new light.

I'll try for some more time, tomorrow night have a night drive to Kannyakumari. If not entirely satisfied I"ll just get back to OEM lights - It is not that I didn't like the OEM bulbs, I was pretty happy with them, but just that the itch to do something to the Safari and so went and replaced with Philips Xtreme Vision just to see how better it is.
Especially since the OEM bulbs were also Philips and looked very very similar to the ones Xtreme Vision.
I did try the extreme vision, however as you said, there is not much of a difference almost none. That being said, the spread of the Osram Night breakers are much better and have more visibility. Give that a try if possible.
Old 19th May 2011, 12:32   #3349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
I did try the extreme vision, however as you said, there is not much of a difference almost none. That being said, the spread of the Osram Night breakers are much better and have more visibility. Give that a try if possible.
Second that. I switched from Philips Xtreme vision to Osram for the same reasons. The bluish light is not sufficient to illuminate the road properly, and at times esp in dim light conditions is not effective.

The Osram nightbreakers on the other hand are very good. Whiter light, better throw and spread.
Old 19th May 2011, 13:33   #3350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post

Also check of your headlights are properly aligned, you need to realign after every bulb or tyre change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
The Osram nightbreakers on the other hand are very good. Whiter light, better throw and spread.
I have heard some good feedback on the Osram's although havent used them myself.

Last edited by dadu : 19th May 2011 at 13:34.
Old 19th May 2011, 14:06   #3351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Also check of your headlights are properly aligned, you need to realign after every bulb or tyre change.
Ditto, after every bulb change it is necessary and advisable for headlight alignment.

@verditer: you may have to visit TASS or refer dadu's thread in which he explained how to align Safari's headlight.

Quote:
I have heard some good feedback on the Osram's although havent used them myself.
Buying it for test is very expensive. We may have to spend 1200+ for that. Satisfaction not guaranteed. What are the alternatives for trying it out?
Old 19th May 2011, 15:31   #3352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

Buying it for test is very expensive. We may have to spend 1200+ for that. Satisfaction not guaranteed. What are the alternatives for trying it out?
I guess the Osrams are a tad costlier than what you mention (closer to 1700). you may get them at discounted prices in Bangalore. The alternative I can think of is to come across to my place and try it..
Old 19th May 2011, 15:36   #3353
Team-BHP Support

I use the not expensive Osram silverstar +60. (Or +40, I do not remember)
They cost same as normal bulbs and give slightly more light.
I find these +80 bulbs wasteful. They last less long, and whether you really benefit from them depends a lot on the reflector design.
That reminds me, I am out of bulbs. Need to stock up 2-3 of them. I normally burn through a bulb every year because of the high amount of long distance night driving. Continuous flashing takes it toll I guess
Old 19th May 2011, 15:49   #3354
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Horns are repairable, but the authorized guys will never do it, and even among other electricians there is only a select breed that will repair it. (Like at CST road in Mumbai) you would need to find the right guy to do it.

I guess they cost you about Rs.450 - Rs.600 you should be able to get the missing half replaced for about Rs. 250 in exchange for the defective one at the place where you got them fitted. Further effort may not be worth it.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 15:50   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I use the not expensive Osram silverstar +60. (Or +40, I do not remember)
They cost same as normal bulbs and give slightly more light.
I find these +80 bulbs wasteful. They last less long, and whether you really benefit from them depends a lot on the reflector design.
That reminds me, I am out of bulbs. Need to stock up 2-3 of them. I normally burn through a bulb every year because of the high amount of long distance night driving. Continuous flashing takes it toll I guess
I was told that to ensure that these high performance last more, one should ensure that the bulb is not fitted with bare hands/fingers. The natural oils tend to create some magnetism that cause the filament to erode off and get attracted towards the oils i.e glass. The best way is to fit them wearing the surgical gloves. Haven't tried but will try next time these bulbs conk off. Any views?
Old 19th May 2011, 15:55   #3356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
I was told that to ensure that these high performance last more, one should ensure that the bulb is not fitted with bare hands/fingers. The natural oils tend to create some magnetism that cause the filament to erode off and get attracted towards the oils i.e glass. The best way is to fit them wearing the surgical gloves. Haven't tried but will try next time these bulbs conk off. Any views?
All high performance bulbs last less. Its clearly acknowledged even by the bulb makers. That said, having the bulb fully clean does help in extending the life, but it will never beat the life of a standard bulb.
Old 20th May 2011, 17:32   #3357
Senior - BHPian

Got the Safari from 75,000Kms Service on the 14th May and was charged Rs.15,000/- totally for all sorts of work done, the vehicle is in a very good condition. Drove the vehicle back home from the TASS and felt good. The details on the invoice and the parts replaced shall be put later as i do not have it handy at the office.

Guess what as soon as the service was done it was taken for a Kerala trip by my bro on 16th and back to Bangalore on 20th early morning and done 1,500kms without giving any trouble cruising at good speeds.

The service at Concorde Motors, Mysore Road Branch was done very well proactively and they replaced steering rod column under the warranty and few other parts which was troubling us for a while, the service was taken up by Mr.Reddy and has done a very good job.

Appreciate the way the customer is treated at this center and the way the people interact with the customers and would like to thank Praveen, Satya Prakash & Reddy for this kind of support to the customers and would recommend others to use the services.
gowda79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 21:50   #3358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
...The service at Concorde Motors, Mysore Road Branch was done very well proactively and they replaced steering rod column under the warranty and few other parts which was troubling us for a while, the service was taken up by Mr.Reddy and has done a very good job.
Will greatly help if you could give details of other troubles if your truck had any, when you post details of work carried out. 75K kms sounds like a major milestone to me.
Viju
Old 21st May 2011, 11:28   #3359
BHPian

@rideon
Quote:
Tungsten Halogen bulbs are made with quartz glass and operate at high temperatures. When you handle them with bare hands, the natural oil in your finger print will cause localized heating and the bulb may disintegrate. It is a standard precaution videographers use when they need to handle high wattage halogen bulbs. They will clean the bulb with isopropyl alcohol after fitting the bulb.
Old 21st May 2011, 13:36   #3360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Second that. I switched from Philips Xtreme vision to Osram for the same reasons. The bluish light is not sufficient to illuminate the road properly, and at times esp in dim light conditions is not effective.

I would agree with this and suggest others to use the same and i am using it on my King for last 3yrs.

Last edited by gowda79 : 21st May 2011 at 13:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks