Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 12:17   #3316
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
the problem went away on its own. I traced the clutch pedal upwards, and there is no oil anywhere.
I am suspecting the spring may be faulty, as it makes noises sometimes.
From what I read, if the spring goes for a toss, the clutch return does not happen, right?
I had an incident where the entire plastic thing holding the clutch spring just came off. With no spring, the clutch worked absolutely normal. In fact I thought it was smoother! So I guess, spring or no spring, the clutch return would still happen.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:30   #3317
Team-BHP Support

Since its behaving fine, and there is no oil leakage, it could be a bleeding issue or something. Will definitely get it checked, but from past experience, unless you can replicate problem at service center, they won't acknowledge problem.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:10   #3318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my case it never sticks to the floor.
After I lift my foot off the clutch, it took a little delay in coming back up.
Happened a couple of times, and after that its behaving fine.
Anyways I have pending jobs now
1. Rear LSD kit - Makes noise only after long use. the extended warranty guy is going to approve only if noise increases
2. Clutch inspection - I think I will replace spring anways. Its making noises, and its a cheap part. A stich in time saves nine!
3. Steering very loose - Too much play also. Replacement of center pin bush did not fix it as expected.
The whole kit is known as 'Clutch Shock-up' comes for some 35-40 Rs at TASC. Last time they charged me for the same but it was not available there, I will get that replaced as the current spring is broken, but it made the clutch more smoother and there is no such problem as you said.

Get the clutch bleeded.
Old 9th May 2011, 14:20   #3319
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Please help me diagnose the problem:

My car moves to the left when I brake.

To rectify this did the following:
1) Checked the CVR valve setting in the rear axle
2) Got the alignment done from TASS & checked the chasis height

But the problem remains. TASS took a full day yet couldnt solve the problem.

I had got the front disc pads replaced at 60K, the vehicle is now at 82K.
Later this week I will get ting the brakes checked. What else do you think should be checked?
The mechanic at the service station said that he will have to check the shims when I bring the car next. What does this mean?

Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 14:33   #3320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Guys,

My car moves to the left when I brake.

To rectify this did the following:
1) Checked the CVR valve setting in the rear axle
2) Got the alignment done from TASS & checked the chasis height

But the problem remains. TASS took a full day yet couldnt solve the problem.

I had got the front disc pads replaced at 60K, the vehicle is now at 82K.
Later this week I will get ting the brakes checked. What else do you think should be checked?
The mechanic at the service station said that he will have to check the shims when I bring the car next. What does this mean?

Thanks
Shims are the additional inserts to get the alignment correct. You need to get this checked only if the car is pulling even without braking.

If the problem is only during braking, a good chance is that the brakes are not aligned properly or the HPSV setting not correct ( HPSV could be the same a s CVR - not sure ). Get the brake circuits checked and have the brakes bled to eliminate any air in the brake circuit..
Old 9th May 2011, 14:35   #3321
Senior - BHPian

@rrsteer: Check for uneven brake pads fading this could also cause the left pulling, maybe that the left pad has wore out more than the right one, this is an abnormal case but happens. Check if all the tyres are properly inflated or not? also did you check the tyres for uneven wear?
Old 9th May 2011, 14:38   #3322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Shims are the additional inserts to get the alignment correct. You need to get this checked only if the car is pulling even without braking.

If the problem is only during braking, a good chance is that the brakes are not aligned properly or the HPSV setting not correct ( HPSV could be the same a s CVR - not sure ). Get the brake circuits checked and have the brakes bled to eliminate any air in the brake circuit..
There is a slight pull to the left even without braking. (I have corrected this 2-3 times, every time it returns). The ulling to the left gets pronounced on braking

@mercerdised. Actually I just got the tyres changed on Saturday. Had been witnessing the pulling of the vehicle to left under braking and even generally since some time. I tought of correcting it once I got the new tyres.

Last edited by rrsteer : 9th May 2011 at 14:40.
Old 9th May 2011, 14:56   #3323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@mercerdised. Actually I just got the tyres changed on Saturday. Had been witnessing the pulling of the vehicle to left under braking and even generally since some time. I tought of correcting it once I got the new tyres.
have you checked tie-rods? Also, where did you got the wheel alignment done? I suspect that TASC have not checked the wheel alignment rightly as SHIM is not needed in most of the cases my car has clocked 2.3L kms and still does'nt needs SHIM. Get the alignment checked outside first.
Old 9th May 2011, 17:25   #3324
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

======================

Thanks
Faced the same issue few months back, it looked like a known issue to Tata service guys when i mentioned it to them, all they did was to swap front brake pads and its running fine till now.
Old 12th May 2011, 11:07   #3325
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,
I am facing peculiar problem ( BTW why Tata Motors can't improve on Electricals).
1) Horn is dead, i checked fuse and relay, both are good.
2) Left Parking light is dead, although break light is good, checked the bulb, it is not faulty.
3) Mine is Lx, i installed Music system outside. it has dedicated wiring and fuse. few days back fuse box was melt due to wiring heat, but fuse was intact.
4) I have installed One set of fog lamps on roof ( 6 bulbs) which has dedicated wiring set and fuse box, their relay is getting conked off very frequently.

Aisa to nahi, root cause of all these problems are same.
My vehicle is Oct 2009 model, and has covered 28,000 kms.
@ Dadu and Tanveer - need your help, these small issues are giving me sleepless nights.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 12th May 2011, 11:19   #3326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi All,
I am facing peculiar problem ( BTW why Tata Motors can't improve on Electricals).
1) Horn is dead, i checked fuse and relay, both are good.
2) Left Parking light is dead, although break light is good, checked the bulb, it is not faulty.
3) Mine is Lx, i installed Music system outside. it has dedicated wiring and fuse. few days back fuse box was melt due to wiring heat, but fuse was intact.
4) I have installed One set of fog lamps on roof ( 6 bulbs) which has dedicated wiring set and fuse box, their relay is getting conked off very frequently.

Aisa to nahi, root cause of all these problems are same.
My vehicle is Oct 2009 model, and has covered 28,000 kms.
@ Dadu and Tanveer - need your help, these small issues are giving me sleepless nights.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
1.Horn can go bad, but I think its covered under 2 years warranty
2. could be wiring issue, or just lose contacts, again TASS to rescue
3. This means fuse is of higher rating than recommended. Some issue with your music system installation
4. Again, problem could be with relay, it could be designed for lower current. 6 bulbs(50W each I presume) will need 300W, which comes to around 25A+
You need some solid wiring and relays for such power.
Old 12th May 2011, 11:48   #3327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.Horn can go bad, but I think its covered under 2 years warranty
2. could be wiring issue, or just lose contacts, again TASS to rescue
3. This means fuse is of higher rating than recommended. Some issue with your music system installation
4. Again, problem could be with relay, it could be designed for lower current. 6 bulbs(50W each I presume) will need 300W, which comes to around 25A+
You need some solid wiring and relays for such power.
Hi Tanveer,
Thanks for help
1) I checked whole wiring with multimeter, connection till both horns are correct, only thing i couldn't check is horn button on steering wheel.
2) will be going to TASS for 30k servicing very soon, then will check.
3) I used JBL wiring kit for Music system installation, i think need to recheck whole system.
4) I am using 30 AMP relay from some good indian brand, earlier i used chinese make. I have two buttons, one for two bulbs and second for four bulbs. Both relays are 30 AMps. do i need to go for higher Amp rating.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 12th May 2011, 13:02   #3328
BHPian

Guys, I am looking for a Left outside mirror alone for my Safari GX (2010 model).
The whole unit with Chromium plating and without body color paint with heated mirror costs Rs.3950, but I hear that JC road Bangalore sells just the mirror which can be clipped to the unit.
Do anyone know where I can source one?

Thanks ... Mahesh
Old 12th May 2011, 16:58   #3329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi Tanveer,
Thanks for help
1) I checked whole wiring with multimeter, connection till both horns are correct, only thing i couldn't check is horn button on steering wheel.
2) will be going to TASS for 30k servicing very soon, then will check.
3) I used JBL wiring kit for Music system installation, i think need to recheck whole system.
4) I am using 30 AMP relay from some good indian brand, earlier i used chinese make. I have two buttons, one for two bulbs and second for four bulbs. Both relays are 30 AMps. do i need to go for higher Amp rating.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Most probably the external wiring is not done correctly. Can you also check if someone presses the horn, do you get voltage in the horn connectors.

The centre top plastic cover part of the steering wheel (horn symbols), can be pulled straight out(its like tightly clamped) it has only one power connector clamped from the inside which completes the connection to the horn once pressed. So be careful not to pull it fully, max 3-4 inch once pulled out of place, then you can remove the connector.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:17   #3330
BHPian

Today evening I'm going to JC Road to get a pair of Philips Xtreme Vision 60/55. I think it is going to be better than the current OEM bulbs.

Experts pls advise if this is a good choice. I dont want to fit overrated bulbs though, since many times I drive for 8hours or so at night and dont want to risk heating up/blown bulbs.

Note - 80% of my driving is on highways.

Last edited by verditer : 16th May 2011 at 10:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks