Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 10:39   #3286
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
I have noticed of late that the fan remains on after switching off the engine far longer.
The fan in my Safari has been staying on for a while-sometimes more than 20 secs- after I shut the engine since the day I bought it. I never thought of it as a problem.

BATTERY QUERY:
Guys - Whats the life of the OEM Safari battery. Mine is 3.5 yrs old. Other than some whiteish residue on the terminals, no problems yet, but I intend to do a few long trips this year and dont want to have any battery issues.

Also,
1. what is the recommended replacement battery. Should I stick to Amaron(OEM) or are there better options?
2. and what is the cost of a Safari battery?
3. What causes white residue on the +ve battery terminal ?
4. What is the life of a Safari battery ?

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE QUERY;

Since my Safari is 3.2 yrs old, I dont want to wait till I get stranded on the road due to a busted hose.
As part of a PM plan, I was considering to replace all the hoses in the engine bay and elsewhere in the vehicle.
I think its wise, but would like responses on which hoses should be replaced and which can/should be left out.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 6th May 2011 at 10:52.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:07   #3287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Mine is 3.5 yrs old. Other than some whiteish residue on the terminals, no problems yet, but I intend to do a few long trips this year...
1. Whitish residue is Sulphate or oxides of lead. Clean it with a soda solution and tooth brush. After that apply Vaseline gel on the terminals.

2. Battery strength test- switch on headlights and try to start the truck. If the lights do not dim fully and engine fires- your battery is good. If the lights dim completely, the life could be limited.

3. Check the level of fluid inside battery (I guess it is not completely sealed) and also measure the sp. gravity (using hydrometer- available at most battery shops or chemistry lab/scientific shops) of the acid in it. Top up with battery grade "distilled water", available for 15/- a liter, if below top mark. Sp gr. should be around ~1.3 on a healthy battery in all cells.

May be you can also check the alternator voltage at idling across battery terminals. It should be around 13 volts or so. In emergency, even if the battery fails to crank the engine you can still push start safari to reach to the nearest shop- no issues. May be invest in a Jump start cable (I recently got one from ebay.in for 500/-).

All the best for your trip.

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 11:43   #3288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I do not think so.

I suspect either there are twin fans, or the single fan runs at variable speed.

From the noise increase when engine hot, I suspect there is a second fan somewhere, or maybe the primary fan has 2 speed settings.
Your suspect about twin fans is right.

The radiator used by safari 2.2 is a CROSS FLOW radiator with the flow across the tank horizontally through the tubes.

There are two fans with the motor rating of 12V, 240W, one fan runs at 2600 (+100) rpm and the other at 3000(+100) rpm with the operating temperature range between 25 deg C to 100 deg C.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 11:51   #3289
BHPian

@jaysmokesleaves
Quote:
1. what is the recommended replacement battery. Should I stick to Amaron(OEM) or are there better options?
1. Better to stick to the Amaron battery as your OEM battery is still going strong.

3. Oxidation. Follow the advice of bj96.
4. There are no hard and fast rules about the life of a car battery. It all depends on the usage pattern. Deep discharge hurts the battery - too many starting with too little running, running high powered accessories with the engine switched off - all affect the life of a battery. 4 years is average life if you are careful. I have seen a younger friend change his battery in less than 2.5 year.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 12:23   #3290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fan in my Safari has been staying on for a while-sometimes more than 20 secs- after I shut the engine since the day I bought it. I never thought of it as a problem.
Not a problem, depending upon the coolant temperature it might shut down or run for a few seocnds after you take out the key.

Quote:
BATTERY QUERY:
Guys - Whats the life of the OEM Safari battery. Mine is 3.5 yrs old. Other than some whiteish residue on the terminals, no problems yet, but I intend to do a few long trips this year and dont want to have any battery issues.

Also,
Stick to Amaron, the residue can be cleaned at every service, infact I make them clean by removing the clamp itself. Can be topped up with battery water, better to take it to a battery shop he will check the acid with the floater in each cell and top it up. Usually battery life depends upon usage of the accessories and can live between 4-5 years.

Quote:
PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE QUERY;

Since my Safari is 3.2 yrs old, I dont want to wait till I get stranded on the road due to a busted hose.
As part of a PM plan, I was considering to replace all the hoses in the engine bay and elsewhere in the vehicle.
I think its wise, but would like responses on which hoses should be replaced and which can/should be left out.
In broad sunlight, check the hoses yourself for cracks and wear, if the rubber is crumbling and there are cuts etc, get them replaced. My suggestion towards this is " Dont fix it if it a'int broke".
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 12:25   #3291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also,
@Jay, from past eperience, I would say that the battery will not go belly-up over night. Unless you have had starting problems (takes too long at cranking time, or you have had to jumpstart due to a dead battery), you should not really worry.

My Sumo battery died slowly after multiple long-term dis-use. (The term Long-term is relative ). I had to leave the Sumo un-used & un-started for 4-5 times, for gaps of anywhere between 4 to 6 weeks. But even after each of those gaps, the Sumo always started at first crank. It went on for some more months before finally giving up.

You dont need to stick to Amaron, though it is a safe choice. Amaron also gives you a good wty period, even if part of it is pro-rated. Tata Green not recommended. SF & Exide are not what they used to be. I am using Bosch, but the wty period on the Bosch is limited.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 12:28   #3292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its only a Single fan with one speed operation. Never heard the fan to run at variable speed.
Quote:
I do not think so.
When the safari was new, we were driving from service center back to Noida.
On the way the temp needle quickly reached red mark.

I suspect either there are twin fans, or the single fan runs at variable speed.

From the noise increase when engine hot, I suspect there is a second fan somewhere, or maybe the primary fan has 2 speed settings.
I doubt if one would hear the fan working when you are driving.

Quote:

Also,
1. what is the recommended replacement battery. Should I stick to Amaron(OEM)?
Bought a new Amaron Hi-Way battery for 4500Rs (got almost 1000RS for old one). This was bought from the Amaron Trivandrum dealer.

Pix of old and new battery. Old one had 18 months warranty and the Hi-Way has 2 year.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-warranty.html
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 12:32   #3293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I doubt if one would hear the fan working when you are driving.
Actually dadu has confirmed, that as I suspected, the Safari 2.2 has twin fans.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:18   #3294
BHPian

Guys,
Need help on an issue with my Safari. For the last 2 weeks there is a very audible tire "Roar" when at speeds over 70kmph. Have checked the tire pressure and alignment and balance, but there are no issues. There is also a noticeable resistance in the vehicle since the roar appeared. I was told about checking the wheel bearings. Have yet to check them.
Any other suggestions?
Old 6th May 2011, 15:22   #3295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
Guys,
Need help on an issue with my Safari. For the last 2 weeks there is a very audible tire "Roar" when at speeds over 70kmph. Have checked the tire pressure and alignment and balance, but there are no issues. There is also a noticeable resistance in the vehicle since the roar appeared. I was told about checking the wheel bearings. Have yet to check them.
Any other suggestions?
Its the wheel bearings. How many kms has your vehicle done? Usually bearing problems can come after water fording if the seals are old.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 15:43   #3296
BHPian

Quote:
Its the wheel bearings. How many kms has your vehicle done? Usually bearing problems can come after water fording if the seals are old.
Its done 31000 kms. Water fording is probable. There were occasions where I had to put the vehicle in water that was upto the door sills.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:53   #3297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its done 31000 kms. Water fording is probable. There were occasions where I had to put the vehicle in water that was upto the door sills.

One way to eliminate wheel bearings is to 'coast' at high speeds. Drive normally upto 70kph or whatever speeds the noise is audible, and then depress clutch, do not press accelerator. If it is bearing noise, it should be audible when the engine is disengaged...

are you sure it is not wind noise ?

Does rotating the tyres reduce/ eliminate the noise.. if yes, could be badly worn or misaligned tyres..again leading to bearings. Uneven tyre wear can also indicate bearing trouble.

cheers!
Old 6th May 2011, 15:59   #3298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
One way to eliminate wheel bearings is to 'coast' at high speeds. Drive normally upto 70kph or whatever speeds the noise is audible, and then depress clutch, do not press accelerator. If it is bearing noise, it should be audible when the engine is disengaged...

are you sure it is not wind noise ?

Does rotating the tyres reduce/ eliminate the noise.. if yes, could be badly worn or misaligned tyres..again leading to bearings. Uneven tyre wear can also indicate bearing trouble.

cheers!
That is the first thing I did to eliminate suspicions about wind and tire noise. but then, just a question. How would depressing the clutch (or putting it in Neutral) differentiate between tire noise and bearing noise? My understanding says that with clutch depressed, it would be difficult to ascertain tire noise vs. bearing noise.
The tires have been rotated but to no effect. Will check them very closely for uneven wear/misalignment though.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:20   #3299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is the first thing I did to eliminate suspicions about wind and tire noise. but then, just a question. How would depressing the clutch (or putting it in Neutral) differentiate between tire noise and bearing noise? My understanding says that with clutch depressed, it would be difficult to ascertain tire noise vs. bearing noise.
The tires have been rotated but to no effect. Will check them very closely for uneven wear/misalignment though.
to my knowledge, tyre noise is more like a hissing sound, where as the wheel bearing going kaput will sound like a 'chik-chik'..

and if wheel bearing is kaput, you should be able to identify which side the sound is coming from ( unlikely both wheel bearings will go together )
Old 6th May 2011, 16:28   #3300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
... tyre noise is more like a hissing sound, where as the wheel bearing going kaput will sound like a 'chik-chik'..
Will jacking up the truck and lifting one wheel off the ground at a time and then rotating it by hand reveal bearing noise? I have not done this before myself but, guessing if it is easier to figure out bearing issue this way?

-BJ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks