Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2011, 17:20   #3256
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tata warranty works in strange ways.

Speaking of concorde, remember you will have to struggle a lot regarding EW. They try to deny extended warranty for stuff which is clearly marked in the book as covered under warranty.
Agree, I have had replacements which are not covered under any warranty, it all depends on the SA and your relationship with him to determine his pushing ability especially under Extended warranty.

Last edited by dadu : 22nd April 2011 at 17:23.
Old 23rd April 2011, 14:09   #3257
BHPian

Near resolution for a krrr/brrr sound on my VTT.

My truck has done 25K + by last weekend drive.

After crossing 20-22K or so the VTT had developed a krrr/brrr at certain rpms and speeds while accelerating in 2nd/3rd gear. At approx 1500-1800 rpm from speeds 40-60 kms, the unusual sound could be heard. The sound resembled as if some metal/plastic was rubbing against a moving part. The trouble was that it would be heard only for a few seconds and will NOT be heard all the time in the same speed/rpm.

When the occurrence were increasing in Feb this year, made a visit to Concorde workshop at Begur. The mechanic did a test drive with me present in vehicle, but almost 15-20 mins of driving turned futile. Next I also tried to recreate the sound in various driving conditions, but failed. So it was decided that I'll identify exact steps to recreate or give the vehicle to workshop so that they can make an attempt when the car is cold and test it in the initial 10kms of a day or so. One reason for this was that I get to hear the problem almost everyday in my morning drive in the first 5-10 kms. It was my opinion that the sound occurs after suspension has acted a bit on some wavy road - which I have on my daily trips on ORR in Bangalore.

Now that my vehicle is becoming 17 months old and reaching 25K kms, thought it needs immediate attention. Keeping this in mind agreed to join the general checkup camp at Concorde last Sunday, 17th. After the checkup finished, left car in custody of the workshop. Since the drive to workshop from home involves drive of almost 22kms, it kind of gets punishing on weekdays, though the spare vehicle would been allotted if the exercise was planned ahead, was more keen to get the problem rooted out considering the long drives coming up during the extended weekend.

Member AMITK26 was also at the camp.

As suggested by Amit and also due to the thinking that in case any further help is needed, it is a good idea to write to TM. So wrote up the mail to CustomerCare and other regular contacts at TM about the problem.

By evening 4pm or so on Monday, 18th get the call from Prem, CRO at workshop, that the problem has been identified as exhaust pipe touching body/chassis at one point. This has been corrected and everything else checked. So I agreed to pick up the car by next day morning.

In the morning I do a test drive with mechanic Ganesh in co-driver seat. What I notice is that overall vibrations and sounds have reduced, even at slightly lower rpms. The sound that I complained about cannot be heard in my test drive. Vehicle feels a lot better. I agree that the problem has been addressed and take the car. In case the problem manifests, I contact workshop again, I agree and leave. Nothing changed, no payments to be made.

Normally I standby the vehicle when any work is carried out, but in this case I have no clue what actually was done, only to trust the workshop.

It appeared that the mail to TM too had helped in keeping things on track, ;-)

While I drove back as a happy customer, my thoughts were that over enthusiastically nothing should have gotten overtightened, result in early wear of bushes, etc.

During the weekend, drove 350kms to reach Calicut from BLR. The drive was a pleasure as always in the truck, a lot less noise and vibrations too.

I really hope the problem has been identified correctly. In my searches in this thread, such a problem did not appear to have been reported earlier, hence this post.

This has been a long post, hoping that it would help someone.

Last edited by vijuvarghese : 23rd April 2011 at 14:15. Reason: typo
vijuvarghese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 17:13   #3258
Senior - BHPian

Do make sure to get the idler arm nut checked and the locking pin changed (Rs. 5) every service.. Apparently due to the wear and tear, can possibly turn brittle over time.
Greasing also helps.

Eg. before my 2300 km trip i had gotten the idler arm greased and the pin was found OK.
But when on return, I asked TASS to check why there was excess play in the steering feedback. They found that the lower nut of the idler arm had become little loose, in the sense that one could rotate it little bit by hand. So , inadvertently the pin which locks the nut from falling off (disaster) bears all the brunt and has possible tendency to give away.
So in my case, they were trying to pull out the pin, but it was brittle enough by now to break from the centre as expected.

On some asking around, came to know that its better to get it checked /changed every 15k. Its up to oneself, if they want it to be changed/ checked

Rahul
Rahulk76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 19:25   #3259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Do make sure to get the idler arm nut checked and the locking pin changed (Rs. 5) every service.. Apparently due to the wear and tear, can possibly turn brittle over time.
Greasing also helps.

Eg. before my 2300 km trip i had gotten the idler arm greased and the pin was found OK.
But when on return, I asked TASS to check why there was excess play in the steering feedback. They found that the lower nut of the idler arm had become little loose, in the sense that one could rotate it little bit by hand. So , inadvertently the pin which locks the nut from falling off (disaster) bears all the brunt and has possible tendency to give away.
So in my case, they were trying to pull out the pin, but it was brittle enough by now to break from the centre as expected.

On some asking around, came to know that its better to get it checked /changed every 15k. Its up to oneself, if they want it to be changed/ checked

Rahul
Usually you will not require to adjust it at frequent intervals. But if you need to, ask for a new locking pin as the prior one is always bent for locking and straightening it makes it loose it strength at the bent point. Mine has been changed 3 times in 3.5 yrs as it always broke while straightening(re-use) and a new one was provided (0 cost).
Old 25th April 2011, 10:37   #3260
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

A stupid question. What are the repercussions of adding more than the recommended amount of engine oil. The mechanic added 8ltrs into my 2.2's engine!!
Old 25th April 2011, 10:54   #3261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Guys,

A stupid question. What are the repercussions of adding more than the recommended amount of engine oil. The mechanic added 8ltrs into my 2.2's engine!!

Its never good adding more engine oil to any car than what's recommended ! If he has drained the used oil completely, you should be ok. Do confirm using the dipstick.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 11:18   #3262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Excess engine oil can lead to seals/gasket leaking. Not at all good for the the engine. Drain some oil till you see normal levels on dipstick.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 11:49   #3263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Quote:
Excess engine oil can lead to seals/gasket leaking. Not at all good for the the engine. Drain some oil till you see normal levels on dipstick.
The oil will keep circulating or will get burnt off after being pushed through the turbo charger. To understand this, you have to remember that Safari also has an Oil Separator. Excess oil from the engine is pushed to this oil separator which in turn recycles the oil back to the sump and the vapours to the Air Intake. Now the vaopurs are heavy with oil and just like steam when cold turn back into oil and pushed into the engine to burn.

Ideally oil pushed to the separator should have a PCV, but the Safari doesn't (verified it myself by looking at an open engine), therefore its the pressure forces which work the whole cycle.

Last edited by dadu : 25th April 2011 at 11:50.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 12:03   #3264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not at all good for the the engine. Drain some oil till you see normal levels on dipstick.
Dear lord!! I just asked this question casually. I got the oil changed last week. And since have run 1000kms! As a weekly check I opened the dipstick yesterday to see the oil at above the marked max level. I wonder what must the engine have gone through in the 1000 kms the car has run.
Old 25th April 2011, 12:39   #3265
Team-BHP Support

@dadu, so you are saying that in the safari it should not have any bad effect?
Old 25th April 2011, 13:09   #3266
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK , Little excess oil does not harm the engine but it can effect the exhaust system and the catalytic converter. If i remember right, it read this somewhere excess oil do have foaming effect, which effect the engine too.

Last edited by v&v : 25th April 2011 at 13:32.
Old 25th April 2011, 13:58   #3267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
AFAIK , Little excess oil does not harm the engine but it can effect the exhaust system and the catalytic converter. If i remember right, it read this somewhere excess oil do have foaming effect, which effect the engine too.
I think we are talking about 1/2 liter of excess oil here

For the sake of the life of Engine and the Turbocharger, please get the oil level corrected to 7.5 liters.

I have insisted and argued with TASS on few occasions when they said that 8 ltrs wont harm. True in a very short run and Extremely bad in long run

If excess oil is not take care of then the following will happen

1. front or rear oil seal will give away and havoc of engine will happen.
2. Oil seperator will give away sooner or later
3. Turbocharger oil sear will give away under pressure and then you are looking at big cost fixing it.
4. Long term /permanent damage to the catalytic converter.

I have also heard that workshops generally carry out such practices to unsuspecting customers. When finally you are out of warranty, they can encash on the repairs incurred on the damaged parts.

eg. a week or so back, i had gotten oil changed at TASS and then got them to fill exactly 7.5ltrs of oil.
Next day early morning i checked the dipstick and found it bang on the DOT max level mark on the dip stick.

Hope this helps
Old 25th April 2011, 14:39   #3268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Excessive engine oil will not cause any seal issues related to pressure since the oil pressure is maintained by the oil pump and not by gravitation. A pressure relief valve is also present on the oil pump if the pressure increases. What I am saying is unless you have filled more by a litre or more, the Engine will itself bring the oil to the recommended level by burning off the extra.

But the the impact would be on the

- Oil Separator : Less life and leakage
- Catalytic convertor : Less life
- Engine life : A continuous oil burner will lead to lesser engine life.

Ideally the sump level is of 7.5ltrs but the old oil is never completely drained clean from the engine(and will add to the level) and also the new oil filter itself will keep apprx .5 ltr of oil in it, best practice is to drive the engine for 40-50 kms and then check your dip stick for the Max level after an oil change.

Last edited by dadu : 25th April 2011 at 14:45.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:59   #3269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Ideally the sump level is of 7.5ltrs but the old oil is never completely drained... drive the engine for 40-50 kms and then check your dip stick for the Max level after an oil change.
Also, do not forget the sludge buildup on the old engine that has ran several 1000s of KMs. Let the engine cool down after running, preferably overnight, before checking the oil level again. A mm or two + or - the line should not cause sleepless night- surgical precision isn't needed here.

-BJ
Old 25th April 2011, 15:22   #3270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Also, do not forget the sludge buildup on the old engine that has ran several 1000s of KMs. Let the engine cool down after running, preferably overnight, before checking the oil level again. A mm or two + or - the line should not cause sleepless night- surgical precision isn't needed here.

-BJ
Well said, but for the record the oil level is measured when the oil is warmed up between 75-80 deg C. So dont go with your temperature meters for the next oil change now .

Most Viewed