Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 18:04   #3241
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Is anyone here facing less cooling in safari? I am facing this from day 1 and got it checked many times without any result. TASS always claims that the AC is fine and not ready to accept the inferior cooling.

What is the best way to measure the cooling effect of car AC ? TASS always keep a thermometer and shows the temperature near the ac grill on the dash and not the time taken to reach that temperature. I have figured out that mine has inferior cooling than my friend's safari, but how to prove it???

I also feel cooling is not much effective in my Safari. Need to go to TASS for checkup
Old 15th April 2011, 22:02   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Anuj - relax - you just experienced the famed hiccup/powerloss/jerk issue that many have. It is more pronounced in low speeds and in 1st/2nd gear when the car is gaining momentum.
And it is irrespective of time of day, engine heat etc.
But you may have noticed that you can avoid it to an extent by revving a little hard when picking up and not letting the engine have a breather even for milli seconds..
And once the rpm crosses 1800 or so the hiccup doesn't happen.

Isn't this continuing to be a mystery issue for some Safaris... discussed at length in this thread, only no permanent solution yet. Sigh.

On another note, I'm repeating SumitB's question above here -
3. Is it recommended to use System D every few months?

Mine is at 15000kms, should I do a System D? Is System D available in Indian Oil outlets or where can I get it easily? Dadu?

Wishes
Suresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post

BTW, recently started noticing the sub-seconds of lifelessness at 1500 rpm which was reported by Anuj and Suresh in their vehicles. Looks like its a bug in the recent Safaris.

Also noticed that vtt noise gets very loud when we are in 4th gear just below 1500 rpm and trying to accelerate. Anyone else noticed the same noise?
Wow, seems like the contagion is spreading across.

Not sure how to go about this now.. This has stumped me. I am facing it almost everyday now.
Old 17th April 2011, 21:04   #3243
BHPian

HI guys

Just a small glitch that I noticed today. Mine is dec 2010 Safari GX. While reversing, the distance meter comes on the IVRM. But today, its not working, I mean no indication available, although the distance tone is coming. Tried engaging reverse gear number of times but without any joy. Just wanted to know if the ultrasonic reverse guide is covered under warranty.

Thanks
Old 18th April 2011, 11:45   #3244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
HI guys

Just a small glitch that I noticed today. Mine is dec 2010 Safari GX. While reversing, the distance meter comes on the IVRM. But today, its not working, I mean no indication available, although the distance tone is coming. Tried engaging reverse gear number of times but without any joy. Just wanted to know if the ultrasonic reverse guide is covered under warranty.

Thanks
Everything OEM is covered, except for consumables.(oil, coolant, grease)

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
On another note, I'm repeating SumitB's question above here -
3. Is it recommended to use System D every few months?

Mine is at 15000kms, should I do a System D? Is System D available in Indian Oil outlets or where can I get it easily? Dadu?

Wishes
Suresh.
The problem can occur due to many reasons, unclean injectors being one of them, try it anytime for 2 tankful in a row. Check out the specific thread on System D (search it).

Last edited by dadu : 18th April 2011 at 11:55.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:58   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My safari is 30K km now , I have driven very less for last 7-8 months.
Went for a free checkup camp yesterday to Concord. They topped up the engine oil with approx 500ml , The last oil change was around 6KM back also top-up of clutch-breaqk oil and coolant was done. As per service adviser 100ml engine oil for 1000KM is normal.

While doing under-body checkup they did a greasing of steering arm and found that tie rod ends have play and also front break-pads are nearly gone.

So
1. Are the tie rods covered in extended warranty suspension warranty is 35K KM and I have done 30 so asking ?

2. Is lowering of engine oil by 500 ML in 8 months and 6.5 K KM normal ?
I suspect that they had filled little less to begin with so will keep an eye on this.

No money was charged for Engine Oil , clutch fluid and coolant and the steering arm bush greasing from me.

Regards
Amit
Old 18th April 2011, 16:15   #3246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post

4. This issue cropped after the service. The car would crawl on the an incline with parking brake full engaged. Initially after service there was no bite in the braking too. While taking a testdrive i discovered this crawling behavior. They reduced the number of ratchets it takes to full apply the parking brakes. The braking improved, but the crawl is still there. I can count 8 ratchet clicks to before i cant pull the lever further.
What could be the problem and a possible resolution for this?
Two days after writing this post, i noticed oil coming out of both the rear brake drums! A little check at the neighborhood workshop revealed seals of both the wheel bearings gone for a toss and the leaked differential oil had smeared the rear brake lining, hence no braking action from the rear, only the front brakes were working. The handbrake crawl was also for the same reason. Gave an earful to the service manager at Autolinks, as i suspected wrong procedure to remove the differential to replace the clutch, resulting in the bearing failure. He, being on leave, took the vehicle back to WS a week later (the car was parked at the office parking for the whole week, got a litre of differential oil refilled and made a dash to the gurgaon workshop).

Got a call today from the service manager, they have replaced the bearings (not covered in EW, but he has said he will "adjust it" ). As a precautionary measure, i have asked them to replace the rear brake lining for both wheels (as the older ones were soaked in oil).As a goodwill gesture, the 1 litre oil that I got topped up, would be taken care by the workshop, and also he got the claim passed for a new set of front brake discs, master cylinder and two lifters for the front power windows
I love Tata EW !!!!

Last edited by trance_nut : 18th April 2011 at 16:20.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:28   #3247
BHPian

My safari is close to 50k. Recently its A/C just stopped giving cold air. On getting the checkup, figured that No Gas. The workshop then told me that My fan, has cut the condensor core, leading to gas loss. A total expenditure of around 15k, including the fan, condensor core, gas etc.

I still don't understand how this damage happened? Request some more experienced people to help me understand the issue. I am just worried it can happen in future also, if the parts are that close...
Old 21st April 2011, 15:31   #3248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Windshield Wiper Tank Leakage
The Leakage of Windshield wiper tank was also reported by me, just get the tank changed under warranty if you find water levels down within 3-4 days of topup.
My wiper bottle also had cracked and was leaking, it was replaced under warranty.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:38   #3249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
...My fan, has cut the condensor core, leading to gas loss. A total expenditure of around 15k, including the fan, condensor core, gas etc...
I still don't understand how this damage happened? ...
do you drive yourself or have a driver to run errands? If latter, possible he has exchanged your parts in mayapuri for some fast buck

-BJ
Old 21st April 2011, 17:16   #3250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
My safari is close to 50k. Recently its A/C just stopped giving cold air. On getting the checkup, figured that No Gas. The workshop then told me that My fan, has cut the condensor core, leading to gas loss. A total expenditure of around 15k, including the fan, condensor core, gas etc.

I still don't understand how this damage happened? Request some more experienced people to help me understand the issue. I am just worried it can happen in future also, if the parts are that close...
Was this quote given by the A.S.S? In case you want another reference/diagnosis from outside, please refer to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...new-delhi.html.
I had to go to him to rectify the cooling coil of a colleague's 3 lt Safari and he did do a pretty decent job at almost half the cost of the A.S.S

Mods: I'm not commercially preaching him. Just showing the way in case a second opinion is needed.
Old 21st April 2011, 22:51   #3251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
Was this quote given by the A.S.S? In case you want another reference/diagnosis from outside, please refer to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...new-delhi.html.
I had to go to him to rectify the cooling coil of a colleague's 3 lt Safari and he did do a pretty decent job at almost half the cost of the A.S.S

Mods: I'm not commercially preaching him. Just showing the way in case a second opinion is needed.
Thanks, as my car is still in extended warranty, i had to pay around 7k, as condensor core was adjusted in warranty. But for next time will sure have them checked out..
Old 21st April 2011, 22:53   #3252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
do you drive yourself or have a driver to run errands? If latter, possible he has exchanged your parts in mayapuri for some fast buck

-BJ
I drive myself, and this was from tata authorised service center, I have the bill.
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:54   #3253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hi,

1. Are the tie rods covered in extended warranty suspension warranty is 35K KM and I have done 30 so asking ?
Any answer would be appreciated , I talked over the phone and Concord warranty officer is denying the extended warranty on tie-rods but nowhere in the list of exclusions tie-rod is mentioned.
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:49   #3254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Any answer would be appreciated , I talked over the phone and Concord warranty officer is denying the extended warranty on tie-rods but nowhere in the list of exclusions tie-rod is mentioned.
If I am not wrong any Warranty is only for defective manufacturing/ defects and not for normal wear and tear, the play can be concluded as Normal wear & tear.
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:04   #3255
Team-BHP Support

Its very difficult to get tie rods under extended warranty.
However, if within one year of install tie rod fails again, you will get it for free.
Tata warranty works in strange ways.

Speaking of concorde, remember you will have to struggle a lot regarding EW. They try to deny extended warranty for stuff which is clearly marked in the book as covered under warranty.

But in this case, you have little hope.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 22nd April 2011 at 14:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks