Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 11:50   #3226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
How can TATA charge the customer for the coolant lost due to a faulty part.
Almost every company in the world provides warranty only for the parts they manufacture. The companies will include a disclaimer that they are not responsible for any loss or damage resulting for failure of any of their own components.

Loss of coolant is resulting from a damaged component, and hence they will not replace it.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:06   #3227
AVR
BHPian

How much does it cost to do a AC gas refill? complete refill not topup? I want to know if I am being charged correctly.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:18   #3228
BHPian

Is anyone here facing less cooling in safari? I am facing this from day 1 and got it checked many times without any result. TASS always claims that the AC is fine and not ready to accept the inferior cooling.

What is the best way to measure the cooling effect of car AC ? TASS always keep a thermometer and shows the temperature near the ac grill on the dash and not the time taken to reach that temperature. I have figured out that mine has inferior cooling than my friend's safari, but how to prove it???
Old 13th April 2011, 13:47   #3229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Is anyone here facing less cooling in safari?
@LionX - Check the posts by member "LongDrive lover" on pages 213 & 214 of this thread. He had a similar problem, and has posted the resolution too. His posts and the answers to those posts might help you.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 13th April 2011 at 13:49.
Old 14th April 2011, 16:21   #3230
BHPian

Gurus, I need help. I am having the following issues and need to know if these are indeed issues or is normal:

1. When starting the vehicle on a cold morning, the rev. meter fluctuates for the first few seconds and then gets normal. I cannot replicate this issue after the first start in the morning. This happens with both vehicles.
2. I feel that the 4x4 sometimes looses power while driving. I think I am feeling this but want to be sure.
3. Is it recommended to use System D every few months?
4. The left side head light is throwing the high beam in a weird angle and is not parallel to the right side's.
5. After a drive I follow the routine of letting the engine run freely without using the accelerator pedal for 30 seconds. However, yesterday after following this routine and getting down the vehicle, I could still hear the radiator fan running and it stopped after 2-3 minutes. Should I be worried?
6. When the reverse gear is engaged and the rear view mirror is on, the head unit, if on tuner, makes weird noises!

I tried searching this thread but did not get many results. So putting up this post. I am scheduled to visit the TASC on Monday and need to make sure that these issues are indeed present in other vehicles and their probable solution.
Old 15th April 2011, 00:29   #3231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
1. When starting the vehicle on a cold morning, the rev. meter fluctuates for the first few seconds and then gets normal. I cannot replicate this issue after the first start in the morning...

5. After a drive ... still hear the radiator fan running and it stopped after 2-3 minutes. Should I be worried?
6. When the reverse gear is engaged and the rear view mirror is on, the head unit, if on tuner, makes weird noises...
1. normal. not a issue. Happens on mine too, especially after the car sits idle for a week or more.

5. Good thing. It was cooling the coolant to a safe temp so that system does not remain pressurized even after shutting off.

6. Electrical disturbance of reverse camera screen on the FM signal. Not a big issue. But, if it bothers you too much get it replaced under warranty. Mine was done FOC in warranty. But, the replacement IRVM is slightly bigger than OEM and video takes a bit longer to display.

-BJ
Old 15th April 2011, 00:45   #3232
Senior - BHPian

As many of you would recall, my 2.2 VTT came with spare wheel cover "Safari" of 3.0 dicor model. I have a question related to how this spare wheel cover is mounted on tail gate. See pic below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...477-large-.jpg

I have seen a few LX 3.0 DiCORs, non alloy wheels, with naked spare wheel. It has a mounting plate fitted on the rim over which nuts are bolted. But, mine has no such plate on the spare wheel. The cover just hangs on the spare tyre using a belt across.

I am worried about the spare wheel cover falling off due to belt snapping. Can any VX 3.0 Dicor owner (which has OEM alloy wheel rim) confirm that such a mounting plate is indeed necessary for oem alloy rim too?

tia,
-BJ
Old 15th April 2011, 08:57   #3233
Senior - BHPian

During recent Munnar trip, I felt engine losing its breath when I am pushing Safari against very steep incline in first gear from stop position. While in speed it does not happen. Did you face such issue in your Safari?

This was particularly observed, when I visited Attakudu (Exact spelling of this place may be different) water falls on Cochin road 9 Kms from Munnar town. Road to this water fall goes besides Tata Tea Packaging factory. It was very steep decent to water fall with 5 - 6 sharp hair pin bends. Our Safari refused to get complete turn on those hair pin bends due to huge turning radius. I needed to back up little bit to be on road.

While returning back, I had to stop again on those hair pin bends, back up little bit and then again turn. It was very steep ascent on those bends and I felt engine losing its breath with lots of kitch-kitch-kitch sound from engine compartment. Have anyone felt this?

PS: I advise all Safari owners to avoid this waterfall when they visit Munnar. That road is only good for small cars.
Old 15th April 2011, 09:16   #3234
BHPian

Anuj - relax - you just experienced the famed hiccup/powerloss/jerk issue that many have. It is more pronounced in low speeds and in 1st/2nd gear when the car is gaining momentum.
And it is irrespective of time of day, engine heat etc.
But you may have noticed that you can avoid it to an extent by revving a little hard when picking up and not letting the engine have a breather even for milli seconds..
And once the rpm crosses 1800 or so the hiccup doesn't happen.

Isn't this continuing to be a mystery issue for some Safaris... discussed at length in this thread, only no permanent solution yet. Sigh.

On another note, I'm repeating SumitB's question above here -

Mine is at 15000kms, should I do a System D? Is System D available in Indian Oil outlets or where can I get it easily? Dadu?

Wishes
Suresh.

Last edited by verditer : 15th April 2011 at 09:21.
Old 15th April 2011, 09:26   #3235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Isn't this continuing to be a mystery issue for some Safaris... discussed at length in this thread, only no permanent solution yet. Sigh.
What I meant is during steep incline its behavior is very weird. Yes, even I was facing powerloss issue. But on those kind of roads one cannot rev more than limit and you have to take care many thing. I felt continuous power loss where I needed more power.
Old 15th April 2011, 10:06   #3236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post

Mine is at 15000kms, should I do a System D?
TML says no additives for Dicor engines. If you go by that, then do not use System-D.

System-D is to be used regularly, not once in a way. If you want to a once in 5000km or 7000km additive usage, there are additives meant specifically for such intervals. Sonax has one for CRDi engines. You have use the entire bottle with one tank full of diesel.
Old 15th April 2011, 10:19   #3237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
... I am worried about the spare wheel cover falling off due to belt snapping. Can any VX 3.0 Dicor owner (which has OEM alloy wheel rim) confirm that such a mounting plate is indeed necessary for oem alloy rim too? ...
The spare wheel cover sits snug on the spare wheel because of the closed cell foam lining in the cover. Takes quite some manipulation to get it off, so it won't come off due to vibrations or air flow around it. The synthetic fiber belt is not likely to get cut or come off - I haven't seen any fraying in mine in 4 years.

Don't know about the mounting plate for the spare alloy - I have the original steel ones. But I remember the mechanics at the Concorde service center on Mysore Road said that the mounting bracket is different for steel and alloy rims. Come to think of it, I remember a plate (shaped like the armature symbol in the Bosch logo) being mounted for the alloys. I may be mistaken.
Old 15th April 2011, 10:58   #3238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
This was particularly observed, when I visited Attakudu (Exact spelling of this place may be different) water falls on Cochin road 9 Kms from Munnar town. Road to this water fall goes besides Tata Tea Packaging factory. It was very steep decent to water fall with 5 - 6 sharp hair pin bends. Our Safari refused to get complete turn on those hair pin bends due to huge turning radius. I needed to back up little bit to be on road.

While returning back, I had to stop again on those hair pin bends, back up little bit and then again turn. It was very steep ascent on those bends and I felt engine losing its breath with lots of kitch-kitch-kitch sound from engine compartment. Have anyone felt this?

PS: I advise all Safari owners to avoid this waterfall when they visit Munnar. That road is only good for small cars.
Anuj I went to same place in my Safari in 2009 summer and did not face this issue , There was kitch-kitch sound and as my turning radius is reduced I did not face turn issue as well.
I think this may happen if you bring your vehicle to halt or near idle RPM on steep slope you need to maintain the RPM such that you remain in turbo range.

Last summer while going to Ooty using 36 pin hair bends towards end I faced similar situation. There is a very steep incline for about 2 KM and it looks almost flat , due to optical illusion I did not sense and did not change gear , It was difficult to start from still on steep slope , I had to apply hand break and push throttle to generate momentum.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:31   #3239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Last summer while going to Ooty using 36 pin hair bends towards end I faced similar situation. There is a very steep incline for about 2 KM and it looks almost flat , due to optical illusion I did not sense and did not change gear , It was difficult to start from still on steep slope , I had to apply hand break and push throttle to generate momentum.
I know the incline you're talking about. It is very deceptive - It is straight and looks outright flat with mild incline, but all vehicles end up changing gear half way through it or earlier. They had speed breakers to halt backward motion also I think on that slope. And when coming down, one has to be really really careful and not speed, or at the end of the downward slope there is a sharp right curve and you know what will happen if not taken slowly!!! :-) Welcome to Ooty!
Old 15th April 2011, 14:49   #3240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The spare wheel cover sits snug on the spare wheel because of the closed cell foam lining in the cover...haven't seen any fraying in mine in 4 years...
Thanks DerAlte for inputs. There is another issue with the cover- the center ring on it constantly rubs on alloy rims causing some dark scars on the alloy. I will try to post the picture shortly.

-BJ

Most Viewed